Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Would you Trade Revis For....

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by doggin94it View Post
    No. The cap hit for trading Revis would be 10.5M (22M in dead money against this year's cap), which is about 5M more than all of our total remaining cap room. So you'd need to cut players making significant money just to be able to trade Revis (so the deal would be, really, Revis + Brandon Moore + Eric Smith + someone with salary cap savings equal to or greater than Reiff) for that package - you'd be weakening the defense and OL for a few draft picks - essentially punting this season for down the road.
    Yes, thats exactly what I am saying to do.
    The questions you should be asking is 1) How confident are you that you can resign Revis? 2) Is his asking price worth the cap hit in the future? I mean he may be a HOF player but he is a CB not a QB or HOF pass rusher? Can you keep him and realistically keep a quality Team intact? and 3)Are you willing to risk losing Revis for a supplemental 2nd or 3rd round pick?

With the trade we shore up RT and add 2 #1 picks plus 2 additional picks to build for the near future. Keep in mind alot of money is going to come off the cap next year when Bart Scott, Dustin Keller, Shonn Greene, Mike Devito, Calvin Pace, Brandon Moore and Bryan Thomas are all UFAs. I mean most will not be resigned.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by 2foolish197 View Post
    ...like Doggin said the cap hit would be prohibitive but hypothetically speaking i would trade Revis for a chance at a franchise qb...absolutely...
    The cap hit would be prohibitive and sacrifice this season...BUT, resigning Revis for what he is asking will be prohibitive in the next few years as we are faced with a lot of our own UFA to sign andnot to mention we still have many holes to fill. Remember this is a team coming off of an 8-8 season that feels could have been far worse than that record indicates.

Undrafted Free Agent
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Limolady View Post
    The only thing I would ever trade Revis for is a guaranteed SuperBowl win for the Jets. Preferably with Darrelle still on the team.

Some of you people are crazy to even suggest trading him. Everybody is showing up in Cortland next week and it's back to the business of winning. We need him to accomplish the end game and get the Jets a ring.
    The OP was also presenting the MEVIS scenario. You know, where he bankrupts the team with his demands even though he still is under contract.

If he does that, I would trade him to the Seahawks or some other west coast team in a heartbeat.

Love Revis but thie selfishness has limits.
    Last edited by Mardukis; 07-18-2012 at 12:52 PM.

Hall Of Fame
    Charter JI Member

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Astoria View Post
    The time to trade Revis is now. Keep the roster stocked with young, cheap talent. It's how organizations maintain success. Hoarding Revis and hoping he doesn't walk in FA is a fool's game. Even if he returns, 15 mil for a CB is going to keep us shopping at the Free Agent Bargain Basement for years to come.

Two 1sts and a 2nd would do, maybe throw in a viable starter and change the 2nd to a later round pick.
    Yeah, keep the team stocked.

And you know the players they draft will become this because? Because you think its easy?

You would get picks in return that you pray with all you have that one somehow comes anywhere close to being as good as the player you traded away.

Organizations maintain success by stocking up with talent and keeping it not trading it away at its peak.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Jet Nut View Post
    Yeah, keep the team stocked.

And you know the players they draft will become this because? Because you think its easy?

You would get picks in return that you pray with all you have that one somehow comes anywhere close to being as good as the player you traded away.

Organizations maintain success by stocking up with talent and keeping it not trading it away at its peak.
    And those organizations are willing to play hardball when their star players start asking for money that does not permit the franchise to stay on a sustainable financial footing. The Jets have shown no such willingness to make the hard decisions with their own players.

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    The term 'shut down corner' was on the verge of becoming extinct before Revis changed the position forever. He's actually changed the culture of the CB position. #1 CB's will be forced to attempt what Revis has done over the years. He's set the bar moving forward as Deion did for Champ Bailey and Champ Bailey has done for Revis. Not even Deion Sanders would man up, each and every play, one vs one on an island; against opposing #1 WR's. Sanders, if you remember back to the early/mid 90's... Was used a completely different way. His head coaches/defensive coordinators would stick Sanders against opposing #2 WR's (more time than not), eliminating that side of the field, while rolling coverage over in regards to opposing #1 WR's. It worked great, but not even Sanders has done what Revis is currently doing.

Revis eliminates one side of an entire football field.

Revis completely shuts down opposing #1 WR's.

Revis completely eliminates the number one option of All-Time great Quarterbacks. Think Peyton Manning/Reggie Wayne. Manning was a shell of what he once was (usually is) during 2010's postseason game, all because Revis eliminated/shut down his #1 option/favorite offensive target. The Colts could only mange 16 offensive points (inside the dome) while Manning could only manage 1 TD. Reggie Wayne, due to an amazing Revis, was held to only 1 reception for 1 yard. That hurt Manning and the Colts offense more than words could describe. Outside of a 57 yard strike, Manning was held to only 168 yards and pretty much taken out of the ball game by Revis himself.

I just found it funny, while reading through this thread, where a Jets poster attempted to "make it known" that Revis doesn't impact the game (on a play by play basis) as much as an outside pass rusher (OLB) or beast of a DE etc, etc... In all actuality? Revis impacts the game more than any OLB and/or DE in today's NFL. Each and every play, Revis is completely eliminating opposing #1 WR's, he shuts down an entire field due to his ability to eliminate offenses #1 pass option and last but not least? Forces QB's to look else-where, during each and every play. No defensive pass rusher impacts the game as much as Revis.

The NFL has became a pass happy league over the years. There has never been an era of football where the importance of a vertical attack was as strong as it is today. Never. There has never been a better time for a franchise to feature the greatest CB of all-time; until now. We just struck gold with Revis during the 2007 NFL draft. He's established himself as not only one of the greatest CB's of All-Time, but also as the greatest overall defensive football player in today's NFL, and he's only 27 years of age. Scary thought.

I was only being sarcastic. I wouldn't trade Revis for 3 first rounders. Not in a million years. Chances are, 1 of those 1st rounders bust. The other first rounder is decent, and the other first rounder (if you're extremely lucky) becomes a very good football player, but far from a potential/future All-Time HOF great. The only way I'm trading Darrelle Revis? Is if we're guaranteed two HOF players during their prime years.
    Last edited by NY2FLDWC85; 07-18-2012 at 12:38 PM.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Nobody would even give up 2 #1s for him. Not at the salary he wants. Giving up 2 1st round picks and then dooling out that kind of cash for a cb would be the death blow for a gm.

In todays nfl, taking out the #1 wr isnt a big deal. Look at the Ginats last year. You take away hicks.............. big deal. Cruz and manningham eat you alive.

Packers................... same thing. take away Jennings and nelson, driver, jones, cobb will kill you.

Spending money on revis is one thing. But NOBODY is spending that money and giving up 2 1st round picks.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by NY2FLDWC85 View Post

The term 'shut down corner' was on the verge of becoming extinct before Revis changed the position forever.

He's actually changed the culture of the CB position.
    WTF are you talking about?

This is just silly.

_

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by eaglenj View Post
    What is said player is not a QB, nor a pass rusher and he wants to be paid like a QB or pass rusher?

Revis is amazing, best defensive player in the NFL IMO, but there is more to it then that, as he isn't the "most valuable defensive player in the nfl". He can't affect a play on every down like a DE/OLB or QB. Yes he can take a WR out of a play but that is only 1 of 11. A pass rusher can impact the entire offense.

Also, look at the makeup of the team after you pay Revis $18-20 million a year.

There is more to it then just "he is the best"....the organization has 53 players to think about, they aren't fans.
    This.

Outside of QB teams can't devote infinite resources ($$$) to one player at the detriment to the rest of the team. Better to have a bunch of well paid above average players among the 53 than 1 (non QB) elite budget busting player surrounded by average players due to cap constraints.

If Al Davis was still around I could see the Raiders giving three first rounders. If and when the Jets ever do trade Revis they will get a boatload in return no doubt.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    If by the time Revis is up for a new contract and the Jets are one step away from a Super Bowl...it's a no brainer...you have to sign him. I just think we're many steps away from a SB....

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Can't do that.

You have to get AT LEAST one proven player plus a couple of picks if you're giving up the best defensive player in the league.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by JStokes View Post
    WTF are you talking about?

This is just silly.

_
    That guy tries way too hard and he makes no sense.

Revis does not eliminate one side of the field. He eliminates a player. If Revis' guy goes deep, the QB can still throw underneath on that side of the field. Revis is approaching GOAT status but lets try to be accurate.

He eliminates Wayne and Manning goes to Garcon. He eliminates Welker and Brady goes to Gronk. He eliminates Jackson and Rivers goes to Gates.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by DDNYjets View Post

Revis does not eliminate one side of the field. He eliminates a player. If Revis' guy goes deep, the QB can still throw underneath on that side of the field. Revis is approaching GOAT status but lets try to be accurate.

He eliminates Wayne and Manning goes to Garcon. He eliminates Welker and Brady goes to Gronk. He eliminates Jackson and Rivers goes to Gates.
    I'm not talking about what Revis does and doesn't do.

I was asking where the f*ck DWC gets some of this crap from.

"The term 'shut down corner' was on the verge of becoming extinct before Revis changed the position forever. He's actually changed the culture of the CB position."

On the verge of becoming extinct? Changed the culture of CBs?

It's just stupid.

_

Jets Insider VIP
    Charter JI Member

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by DDNYjets View Post

He eliminates holding out every other year and I like him alot better..

Practice Squad
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by ASG0531 View Post
    That would be close to my personal price, but has any player commanded 3 1st-rounders in the history of the NFL? This is a silly but interesting discussion.

Nevermind that clearly happened in the Herschel Walker trade... but could that ever happen today?
    Do you count RG3

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by kennyo7 View Post
    Yes, thats exactly what I am saying to do.
    The questions you should be asking is 1) How confident are you that you can resign Revis?
    Fairly confident. The price for the top CB is dropping (when Revis signed his last deal, Asomugha was being paid 15-16M per season. Asomugha's new deal is at 12M per, and nobody is higher - and Aso may well be cut after this season, or at least renegotiate, since his average from 2013-2015 is 13M per and his cap hit in 2013 is significantly higher). Revis has always said he wants to be the top paid CB. At 12+M per, we can do that. And we'll have the cap room to do it, since once we cut Smith, Scott, Hunter and Pace, we'll have close to 30M in cap room, plus our cap picture for 2014 is positively rosy, since we have no significant FAs to worry about that year. Structure the deal so that he takes a large signing bonus in 2013 and a low salary (say 38M in total cash, at a 8M cap hit - 25M signing bonus and 3M salary), give him a significantly higher salary in 2014 (say close to
    2) Is his asking price worth the cap hit in the future? I mean he may be a HOF player but he is a CB not a QB or HOF pass rusher? Can you keep him and realistically keep a quality Team intact?
    Yes. Absolutely, yes. He tilts the field dramatically. He's not a QB or a pass rusher, and won't be paid like one. But he certainly has more of an impact than an average "great" corner, who still requires significant safety help.
    and 3)Are you willing to risk losing Revis for a supplemental 2nd or 3rd round pick?
    Compared to tossing away a season and killing our cap? Yes.

With the trade we shore up RT and add 2 #1 picks plus 2 additional picks to build for the near future. Keep in mind alot of money is going to come off the cap next year when Bart Scott, Dustin Keller, Shonn Greene, Mike Devito, Calvin Pace, Brandon Moore and Bryan Thomas are all UFAs. I mean most will not be resigned.
    Which is why I don't foresee real problems resigning Revis. Next offseason is when we'll be looking to redo his deal. If anything, we could negotiate this year with the idea of ripping up next year and putting in a guaranteed option bonus (so the cap hit is next season). But we'll have the cap room to extend Revis next season, and of that bunch, Moore and DeVito are the only ones with even a chance of coming back, IMO. No way Greene gets a second deal here, Keller probably walks away unless the market is below what I think is likely (he's very good, but replaceable), and Pace, Scott and Thomas are all likely goners. As are Smith and Hunter. Don't forget we may be resigning Landry, though

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Astoria View Post
    The time to trade Revis is now. Keep the roster stocked with young, cheap talent. It's how organizations maintain success. Hoarding Revis and hoping he doesn't walk in FA is a fool's game. Even if he returns, 15 mil for a CB is going to keep us shopping at the Free Agent Bargain Basement for years to come.

Two 1sts and a 2nd would do, maybe throw in a viable starter and change the 2nd to a later round pick.
    agreed plus it would save the team from an ugly situation in camp. Mevis would become a cancer in the lockerroom and united we stand; divided we fall.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by JStokes View Post
    I'm not talking about what Revis does and doesn't do.

I was asking where the f*ck DWC gets some of this crap from.

"The term 'shut down corner' was on the verge of becoming extinct before Revis changed the position forever. He's actually changed the culture of the CB position."

On the verge of becoming extinct? Changed the culture of CBs?

It's just stupid.

_
    I know what you meant. And I agree with you.

I expanded a little.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by kennyo7 View Post
    A friend of mine asked if I would consider trading Revis if he decides to be a prik and hold out again.

He offered me this trade scenarion....would you take it?

Revis to the Lions for Riley Reiff, their 2013 1st, 3rd and 5th round pick and 2014 1st round pick.

Unless i was confident I could sign him long term (remember he can not be franchised) then I would consider taking this.

I like the idea and I think the Jets need to seriously start thinking about it. If you told me someone other than Tanny will be making those draft picks, I pull the trigger.

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    Dear Tooooon

could you give us an expansive list of the Jets players, coaches and management that you hate, loathe and abhor

or is the list just

ALL