Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Would you Trade Revis For....

Quote Originally Posted by ASG0531 View Post
    That would be close to my personal price, but has any player commanded 3 1st-rounders in the history of the NFL? This is a silly but interesting discussion.

Nevermind that clearly happened in the Herschel Walker trade... but could that ever happen today?
    no chance the jets would get 3 firsts for revis...

if it was a QB like Rodgers, Brees etc then the discussion would have merit...but not for a CB no matter how good he is. 3 1sts is not only selling the house, it's selling everything your entire family owns by NFL standards.

it could be argued you are banking the next 8 years on the player you are trading for.

Quote Originally Posted by kennyo7 View Post
    A friend of mine asked if I would consider trading Revis if he decides to be a prik and hold out again.

He offered me this trade scenarion....would you take it?

Revis to the Lions for Riley Reiff, their 2013 1st, 3rd and 5th round pick and 2014 1st round pick.

Unless i was confident I could sign him long term (remember he can not be franchised) then I would consider taking this.
    I'd trade him for less. A first and third from a lower tier team. He is great, maybe all time great but a cancer. I believe that Rex Ryan can have a Top 5 defense with or without Revis, it would just be a little different in structure. A CB is just not worth franchise QB money ever. If Revis were a returner like Deion or Peterson he would be worth more, but CB is just below QB, KT, DL, pass rushing end, top end WR. To pay a CB the most on a team is just giving away too much in other positions.

He will ALWAYS hold out. Send his ass somewhere else and eat the 2013 cap hit.

Jets Insider VIP
    1) he's not holding out

2) he's going to get the contract extension that was promised when he signed his current deal during or after this season

3) the idea of trading the best defensive player in the NFL, a certain HOFer for draft picks is right up there with the idea that owner in Boston had of trading that pitcher he had, George Herman Ruth to the Yankees to finance a play ( in other words -- just plain awful)

Quote Originally Posted by sg3 View Post
    1) he's not holding out

2) he's going to get the contract extension that was promised when he signed his current deal during or after this season

3) the idea of trading the best defensive player in the NFL, a certain HOFer for draft picks is right up there with the idea that owner in Boston had of trading that pitcher he had, George Herman Ruth to the Yankees to finance a play ( in other words -- just plain awful)

1. He IS holding out it's what he does. He thinks the Jets will cave

2. Woody will likely cave and we mortgage our future even more for MeVi$

3. He is one of the best defensive players in the NFL and a HOF candidate. But even as good as he is, he is not worth top end NFL money especially not money approaching what an elite QB, LT or pash rusher would make.

To me it will be all about how the team does this year. If they do not make the playoffs, and Revis insists on being the highest paid defensive player in the game, do you take one more run with him in 2014 or get what you can rather than see him leave for the 100th pick in 2015?

In most cases I see the home team having an advantage in re-signing a FA, But Revis seems to be more along the lines of Law and Samue l- money talks. which I don't have a problem, they became pros for a reason.

The jets don't want to trade Revis, but his salary is so low in 2014 that it is almost impossible to convert salary to bonus to help him along in getting what bonus he needs to get it done.

Mario Williams got 6 years 100 mill one year after peppers got 6 years 90 mill.
    Both got 1/2 of it guaranteed.

Absolutely.

Revis is a great CB, but a franchise RT along with two first round picks, a third and a fifth? Absolutely. When's the last time a CB won someone a Super Bowl? I can't remember. The Jets could be fine with Cromartie and Wilson as the starters as long as the pass rush is improved.

Revis is the best in his position, we all know that. But He is untradeable (don't believe this is actually a word). Whoever trades him will have to give up too much. With this guys past BS history, no team can trust him not to hold out for more every other season. This A$$clown is pushing his luck, he's one twisted knee away from being over.

If anyone even hints that they want to trade for him, do it. He is a selfish hired gun. He shows zero leadership and is not a team player at all. F()CK HIM!!!

Hall Of Fame
    I agree with the idea that nobody is coming with a big offer for Revis. Who would offer a basket full of picks and still have the problem of trying to sign Mr Revis for some astronomical sum? Who wants that headache? Who is going to put their team into a tight cap position for years to pay a CB? Nobody is going to do that. Maybe for a QB or for an Elite pass rusher the money and picks would be worth it but even then, only if your team has some reason to believe that the player being acquired will be happier and more contented after the trade.

Revis is not a QB nor is he an Elite pass rusher.

Revis is never ever likely to he happy and contented with whatever deal he gets.

He is not worth what he has already been paid let alone the increase he is likely to ask for.

Nobody is knocking on our door making any offers.

If he holds out then simply lose his phone number until he comes back with his tail between his legs. If we had done that last time we would not be facing this BS now.

Quote Originally Posted by EM31 View Post
    I agree with the idea that nobody is coming with a big offer for Revis. Who would offer a basket full of picks and still have the problem of trying to sign Mr Revis for some astronomical sum? Who wants that headache? Who is going to put their team into a tight cap position for years to pay a CB? Nobody is going to do that. Maybe for a QB or for an Elite pass rusher the money and picks would be worth it but even then, only if your team has some reason to believe that the player being acquired will be happier and more contented after the trade.

Revis is not a QB nor is he an Elite pass rusher.

Revis is never ever likely to he happy and contented with whatever deal he gets.

He is not worth what he has already been paid let alone the increase he is likely to ask for.

Nobody is knocking on our door making any offers.

If he holds out then simply lose his phone number until he comes back with his tail between his legs. If we had done that last time we would not be facing this BS now.
    Because last time he had the upper hand, if he sat out for the first 10 games and then came back he would have played for vet min, but the season most likely would have been lost if his absence made for a one game swing.

This time the jets are in the driver seat. All he has the the ability to *****, moan and not practice during the week, similar to what Desean Jackson did.

Veteran
    Without Revis, whew!!! That's a tough pill to swallow... But again, I think the media has done it again... People relying too much on the the SPECULATIONS of the media...

No I would not do that trade. The Jets are in win now or win sooner mode. Dealing by far the best player at his position and a top 3 defensive player in the league for magic beans is stupid. I'm not sure people realize just how much better our D is solely because of Revis. Any team Revis goes to is going to be better and if it was the Lions those 1st rounders are going to be late.

Our defense would be much much much worse without this guy.

A friend of mine asked if I would consider trading Revis if he decides to be a prik and hold out again.

Revis to the Lions for Riley Reiff, their 2013 1st, 3rd and 5th round pick and 2014 1st round pick.

Unless i was confident I could sign him long term (remember he can not be franchised) then I would consider taking this.
    No. The cap hit for trading Revis would be 10.5M (22M in dead money against this year's cap), which is about 5M more than all of our total remaining cap room. So you'd need to cut players making significant money just to be able to trade Revis (so the deal would be, really, Revis + Brandon Moore + Eric Smith + someone with salary cap savings equal to or greater than Reiff) for that package - you'd be weakening the defense and OL for a few draft picks - essentially punting this season for down the road.

Hall Of Fame
    In Morris Co., N.J. at the right end of a Browning 12 gauge, with Nick to my left n Rex to my right.
    Quote Originally Posted by Astoria View Post
    The time to trade Revis is now. Keep the roster stocked with young, cheap talent. It's how organizations maintain success. Hoarding Revis and hoping he doesn't walk in FA is a fool's game. Even if he returns, 15 mil for a CB is going to keep us shopping at the Free Agent Bargain Basement for years to come.

Two 1sts and a 2nd would do, maybe throw in a viable starter and change the 2nd to a later round pick.
    Quote Originally Posted by 124 View Post
    Absolutely.

Revis is a great CB, but a franchise RT along with two first round picks, a third and a fifth? Absolutely. When's the last time a CB won someone a Super Bowl? I can't remember. The Jets could be fine with Cromartie and Wilson as the starters as long as the pass rush is improved.
    The question is a hypothetical. What I said, and these comments are exactly correct.

Hall Of Fame
    Quote Originally Posted by doggin94it View Post
    No. The cap hit for trading Revis would be 10.5M (22M in dead money against this year's cap), which is about 5M more than all of our total remaining cap room. So you'd need to cut players making significant money just to be able to trade Revis (so the deal would be, really, Revis + Brandon Moore + Eric Smith + someone with salary cap savings equal to or greater than Reiff) for that package - you'd be weakening the defense and OL for a few draft picks - essentially punting this season for down the road.
    I don't think people realize this. In the NFL just b.c you trade a player, that does not mean the cap space is wiped clean for that player.

Revis is going nowhere (at least for the 2012 season) even if he holds out. Woody and the Jets will hold on to their future HOF CB. Also no team would give you better than two no. 1's for"Mevis" as others here have stated. A CB isn't an impact player like a QB OR DE can be.

yeah if they give up all their draft picks from 2013-2090. maybe 2091 as well.

Veteran
    Quote Originally Posted by LI JET FAN View Post
    Revis is going nowhere (at least for the 2012 season) even if he holds out. Woody and the Jets will hold on to their future HOF CB. Also no team would give you better than two no. 1's for"Mevis" as others here have stated. A CB isn't an impact player like a QB OR DE can be.
    That's because a CB of this caliber doesn't come around often... It's not everyday you get a player in the same class as Deion(of course), Rod & Charles Woodson, Champ Bailey, and last but not least Revis... I don't care how much of an A$$ you guys think he is because of his contract issues... He definitely isn't a cancer to the team, and he doesn't or haven't had any on/off-the-field issues... He is the reason our defense has been effective even with a mediocre(if that) pass rush... When you have a SINGLE player that makes QBs reluctant to throw to his side of the field, that there my friend screams impact player...

Hall of Fame
    Charter JI Member

... if revis holds out again this year i'd trade him for a "hershel walker-esque" windfall ...

l_j_r

Quote Originally Posted by HoustonJET View Post
    That's because a CB of this caliber doesn't come around often... It's not everyday you get a player in the same class as Deion(of course), Rod & Charles Woodson, Champ Bailey, and last but not least Revis... I don't care how much of an A$$ you guys think he is because of his contract issues... He definitely isn't a cancer to the team, and he doesn't or haven't had any on/off-the-field issues... He is the reason our defense has been effective even with a mediocre(if that) pass rush... When you have a SINGLE player that makes QBs reluctant to throw to his side of the field, that there my friend screams impact player...
    ...like Doggin said the cap hit would be prohibitive but hypothetically speaking i would trade Revis for a chance at a franchise qb...absolutely...

All Pro

I'm on board. If he does hold out, I'd love it if he had to move to Detroit.