Enjoy an Ads-Free Jets Insider - Become a Jets Insider VIP!
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Someone had to say it - Santonio did.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    The Jets made themselves a magnet for criticism when they hired Rex Ryan -- it's as simple as that.

They were already in the toughest, biggest, most competitive media market in the country and were already the number two "red-headed stepchild" in that market, a team with a reputation for coming close but failing in grand fashion. Then you hire a loudmouth headcoach who says we're the best, who says we're going to win the Super Bowl, who challenges everyone.

When that guy fails (most people hate that guy) they're going to sell a lot of papers crapping all over him and his team. Remember, more than half the people listening to Fatcessa or buying the Post are Giants fans, or fans of some other team. They all love crapping on the Jets -- plus the fact that self loathing Jets fans or outraged homers buy in as well.

The reality is, in a capitalist economy their primary directive is to sell, not to report a fair and balanced story. It's the same reason Fox News is conservative or MSNBC is liberal; they aren't trying to give you a balanced view of the situation, they're trying to cater to their viewers.

I'm just thankful we have Jenny Vnetras (sp?) by far the best Jets beat writer.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Dirtstar View Post
    so angry, this fist.

just as it's not the media's job to waive pom-pom's and be a part of the team, it's not their job to spin every bit of news in the most negative sense possible and rip the team at every turn.

Tone's just saying "stop with the BS and do straight reporting, and if you can't do that, then GTFO."

and he's absolutely right -- this time
    +1,000

I don't want the media to be Jets Homers.......But Jeez, at least write ONE positive story once in a while. Especially in the preseason. You know, when the team is falling apart at the end of the season...ok. But before the season starts and ALL the teams are 0-0...be a little positive.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by unchartedm0nkey View Post
    Anyone who actually looks at Santino's comments and says things like "oh someone had to say it" or "he gets it" is absolutely clueless as to how the business works.

The media isn't "part of the team" as Santonio seemed to put it. They are not paid by the team, they are not employees of the team (obviously), they have no connection with the team other than the newspaper's/website's sports director telling them "hey, you're on the Jets beat", and that very connection could be eliminated on any given night when they're told "Hey, you're covering basketball from now on" or something along those lines. The media is a separate business all unto itself. They are paid to sell papers, get viewers, and get hits on their website, etc. No duty whatsoever to report positive things about the team. You might not like it, but that's what the media's job is - to sell. Bottom line is if Santonio keeps his mouth shut and plays football, he wouldn't need to call out the media for writing negative things because most of them wouldn't be in that scenario.
    No he didn't have to, or shouldn't have said it, because there will be backlash. It's basically exactly what Chad said when he was new, and he paid for it. You're wrong about the beat writers though. They get special access, they travel with the team, and they usually stick with them for quite a long time, because they build up relationships, and can do their job better. It's in their best interest to see the team do well, because that's going to get them more access to information, and more steady readers than a one shot scandal. If Jet fans were less insecure they wouldn't put up with the crap writing, and sensationalism we get from these guys, and it would improve. Apparently Jet fans don't appreciate positive articles (You can see the proof here everyday), so they keep up the doom and gloom. You guys eat it up, and it wears on the players, and cannot possibly help us get intrest from FAs or respect from the national media. Thanks for that btw.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by PlumberKhan View Post
    +1,000

I don't want the media to be Jets Homers.......But Jeez, at least write ONE positive story once in a while. Especially in the preseason. You know, when the team is falling apart at the end of the season...ok. But before the season starts and ALL the teams are 0-0...be a little positive.
    It's not even just the "positive coverage" that these hacks lack, I can handle criticism, I can handle neutral and objective coverage, it's the persistent agendas and egos that the majority of the NY media have almost across the board. They are pretty much all douche bags, and it's a race to see who can be the biggest douche bag.

I enjoy the coverage by Vrentas and njo.com/Star Ledger. They do a fantastic job, and they always seem to come out with a new angle of coverage and a deep dive of a player or coach. I often say to myself "huh" I didn't know that about the player or coach. With all the rest, it's a constant role of the eyes, or "what an ass," "I don't give a **** about your sarcastic opinion and agenda..."

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    ONE week before Training Camp, this writer decided to write this article. No new information, No new quotes, Nothing.

Tell me that there's nothing else for him to write about... Crap is what it is.

Revis holdout remains a question mark for Jets
    Jets Blog
    By BRIAN COSTELLO
    Last Updated: 9:12 AM, July 19, 2012
    Posted: 2:01 AM, July 19, 2012

The Jets will begin filing into the dormitories of SUNY-Cortland one week from today to begin training camp. Though there will be plenty of questions surrounding Mark Sanchez, Tim Tebow, coach Rex Ryan and the rest of the Jets, the first one is: Will Darrelle Revis be there?

Read more: http://www.nypost.com/p/sports/jets/...#ixzz214fmZogv

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    We had one writer that was fair, most of the time, and he's got a cushy job with the Jets now. We had one that was the worst enquirer type of sensationalist, and he has a cushy job with ESPN, but not much of one. I personally would rather have the top job with the team than be a regional bit writer for the conglomerate.

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by NY's stepchild View Post
    No he didn't have to, or shouldn't have said it, because there will be backlash. It's basically exactly what Chad said when he was new, and he paid for it. You're wrong about the beat writers though. They get special access, they travel with the team, and they usually stick with them for quite a long time, because they build up relationships, and can do their job better. It's in their best interest to see the team do well, because that's going to get them more access to information, and more steady readers than a one shot scandal. If Jet fans were less insecure they wouldn't put up with the crap writing, and sensationalism we get from these guys, and it would improve. Apparently Jet fans don't appreciate positive articles (You can see the proof here everyday), so they keep up the doom and gloom. You guys eat it up, and it wears on the players, and cannot possibly help us get intrest from FAs or respect from the national media. Thanks for that btw.
    With all due respect, I'm not wrong about the beat writers. They get special access - I never denied that. But they only get that special access by virtue of their employer giving them that special access, and that employer ISN'T the team. The team obviously hands them media credentials, but if you think the team would just be allowed to say "no" to every beat writer and shutout writers from the facility without repercussions from the NFL, you've guessed wrong. The beat writers are paid to write stories to sell papers, they aren't paid to write fuzzy stories or create goodwill between players and fans. Would it help them if the team did well? Of course. but that's still ignoring the bigger picture - a reporter's job isn't to make the fans feel good. Their job is to keep fans thinking so they keep buying what the reporter is selling. Its obviously working in this case wouldn't you say?
    Last edited by unchartedm0nkey; 07-19-2012 at 09:46 AM.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like

Santonio being too reality-based for the fictional NY Media. GOTTEM!

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    The beat writers are paid to write stories to sell papers,...
    Hence why all of their stories are BS.

Who are they selling these papers to by writing these stories? Wouldn't it be more business saavy to write stories that fans would WANT to read? Are they selling their papers in Boston, Miami or Buffalo...or are they selling them freaking New York?

Weird.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Yankeejet22 View Post
    ONE week before Training Camp, this writer decided to write this article. No new information, No new quotes, Nothing.

Tell me that there's nothing else for him to write about... Crap is what it is.

Revis holdout remains a question mark for Jets
    Jets Blog
    By BRIAN COSTELLO
    Last Updated: 9:12 AM, July 19, 2012
    Posted: 2:01 AM, July 19, 2012

The Jets will begin filing into the dormitories of SUNY-Cortland one week from today to begin training camp. Though there will be plenty of questions surrounding Mark Sanchez, Tim Tebow, coach Rex Ryan and the rest of the Jets, the first one is: Will Darrelle Revis be there?

Read more: http://www.nypost.com/p/sports/jets/...#ixzz214fmZogv
    Because Revis wants it so. If Revis said 2 months ago

"I am a New York jet through 2013 and hopefully after that. I look forward to competing in training camp and look forward to a successful season"

No articles would have been written about a potential holdout. He wants his name in the paper and wants to put pressure on the jets for a new deal. Why are you blaming the media?

The Same thing with Holmes, what is he shooting his mouth off about 2 qbs, he is not a coach or a FO type. Shut up and play. After the issue last year you would think the guy would be apologetic. Nothing can be done about what happened in the past. But he has to understand that because of that he is going to be under a lot of scrutiny, like when he threw his helmet.
    Last edited by patman; 07-19-2012 at 11:42 AM.

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    Hence why all of their stories are BS.

Who are they selling these papers to by writing these stories? Wouldn't it be more business saavy to write stories that fans would WANT to read? Are they selling their papers in Boston, Miami or Buffalo...or are they selling them freaking New York?

Weird.
    You don't like a specific story. You're talking about it on a message board. Thus, more people will now learn about something stupid, controversial, or maybe even something good the reporter says and now has interest in actually reading it, thus giving more exposure. Doesn't matter if its fan-friendly, anti-Jet, whatever. You come talk about it and it gets noticed. Therefore the reporter has done his job - whether right, wrong, whatever. Nobody is vouching for the accuracy of the reporters stories.

Its more business savy to write an article that someone is going to READ, not necessarily like. Doesn't mean it has to be accurate if someone will give it attention. I'm not saying that's right, but that's just how the profession of "journalism" works nowadays.
    Last edited by unchartedm0nkey; 07-19-2012 at 11:42 AM.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    lol, the cancerous, highly overrated, quitter of a player admonishing the press for being negative. What a schlep. How about shutting up and playing your best ball when things get tough rather than quitting on the team or pouting.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Wow welcome to NY

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    With all due respect, I'm not wrong about the beat writers. They get special access - I never denied that. But they only get that special access by virtue of their employer giving them that special access, and that employer ISN'T the team. The team obviously hands them media credentials, but if you think the team would just be allowed to say "no" to every beat writer and shutout writers from the facility without repercussions from the NFL, you've guessed wrong. The beat writers are paid to write stories to sell papers, they aren't paid to write fuzzy stories or create goodwill between players and fans. Would it help them if the team did well? Of course. but that's still ignoring the bigger picture - a reporter's job isn't to make the fans feel good. Their job is to keep fans thinking so they keep buying what the reporter is selling. Its obviously working in this case wouldn't you say?
    Yeah I said it works here, because of the SOJFs. It wouldn't work in Pittsburgh. They have to much pride, and wouldn't put up with it. Just like NY news anchors don't usually try to spin the City in a bad light, neither should the teams own beat writers. I never said they could block access to every beat reporter, but they can block some, and they could confide in a trusted friend of the team, and give misinformation to reporters they don't like.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    You don't like a specific story. You're talking about it on a message board.
    I don't read them.

And not for nothing, if I read it here, I read it for free and I'm not over 50...so I don't click on ads.

That business model is dead. And gay.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like

That business model is dead.
    It literally drives the internet... How is it dead?

Maybe I'm misunderstanding what you're driving at...

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by NY's stepchild View Post
    Yeah I said it works here, because of the SOJFs. It wouldn't work in Pittsburgh. They have to much pride, and wouldn't put up with it. Just like NY news anchors don't usually try to spin the City in a bad light, neither should the teams own beat writers. I never said they could block access to every beat reporter, but they can block some, and they could confide in a trusted friend of the team, and give misinformation to reporters they don't like.
    Its really a dead issue then if you're admitting it works here. If it works here, it doesn't matter for anything if it wouldn't work in Pittsburgh.

Also, what Jets writers are you suggesting they block access to? Could never block everyone's favorite Cimini, you know how ESPN would react to that? Can't ban any of the usual guys from newspapers like Daily News, Post, etc. You wanna ban guys like Leberfeld and the blog guys? That's fine, but those aren't the people that are causing the stirs that Holmes and people on this board are arguing against. The people that cause the stirs with negativity are exactly the ones they couldn't ban lol.
    Last edited by unchartedm0nkey; 07-19-2012 at 02:04 PM.

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    I don't read them.

And not for nothing, if I read it here, I read it for free and I'm not over 50...so I don't click on ads.

No, but you're here talking about it aren't you? People talking about it = more people will read it. Whether or not you specifically are doesn't matter.

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Beerfish View Post
    lol, the cancerous, highly overrated, quitter of a player admonishing the press for being negative. What a schlep. How about shutting up and playing your best ball when things get tough rather than quitting on the team or pouting.
    You're talking about Chad Pennington!

Sincerely,

(It's been a privilege!)

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP

Post Thanks / Like
    I don't read them.

dammit; that lamb of god sounds delicious. DO you have a link that works?

What kind of ad is that??

:shakin cane: