Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 83

Thread: Someone had to say it - Santonio did.

  1. #1
    All League
    Charter JI Member

    Join Date
    May 1999
    Location
    Fishers, Indiana
    Posts
    4,120

    Someone had to say it - Santonio did.

    http://www.nj.com/jets/index.ssf/201...ce=twitterfeed

    The Jets' 2011 season ended with disappointment, and the relationship between quarterback Mark Sanchez and top receiver Santonio Holmes under the microscope.
    With the 2012 season just around the corner, Holmes continues to reiterate that he and Sanchez have a good relationship -- and added that the success of this season depends on it.
    "Right now we are a group of guys, myself and him," Holmes said this week on an NFL.com podcast. "And I say a group of guys because this season is going to rely on how well Santonio Holmes and Mark Sanchez work together on the field this year."
    The lasting image of 2011, of course, is the New Year's Day meltdown at Miami, in which Holmes did not have any catches and was benched for the final minutes of the game by former offensive coordinator Brian Schottenheimer. Holmes said every veteran receiver he has spoken with since gave him the same advice: "Put that thing behind you."
    “One day you have a fight; the next day, you make up,” Holmes said. “That’s pretty much how things went with our season for the Jets last year and for myself and Sanchez. We just had one day where we just didn’t agree with the way the offense was working for that week."
    He added: "As a veteran receiver and a young quarterback, you patch that thing up the next day, and that’s what we did. The next day, when we flew back, we patched it up and it was done, but the media insists that it will continue to drag on and drag on for their sake, which has nothing to do with the way we feel about each other then and even now.”
    Holmes and Sanchez in fact met a few weeks after the season ended, down in Florida where Holmes trains, to talk things over. The rift between the two was well-documented during the season's post-mortem by several members of the organization, including future Hall of Famer LaDainian Tomlinson.
    Holmes criticized the media for producing negative press in order to drive ratings and readership. He campaigned for positive articles.
    "If you guys want to be, and this is for the New York media, if you guys want to be a part of our team and want to feel so important, be there to support us, not to try to break us down,” Holmes said. “Because (there’s) not one day that we all step in that locker room and we try to break each other down, that we talk bad about the way that person played because it affects the team the way one person plays if they don’t play to perfection.
    “So, if the New York media wants to be a part of our team and wants to continue writing about us, write positive things. Stay away from the negative, because it doesn’t do anything good for our team that you want to report all the negative things that happen and that’s all you want to talk to us players about. We live for one thing and that’s to play football and not to entertain you people in the media.”

    Holmes also weighed in on new back-up quarterback Tim Tebow, and the role he'll play for the team. In another appearance with NFL Network this week, Holmes said he doesn't believe a two-quarterback system can work in the NFL.
    “It’s been very interesting to see the style that he brings to the team and to understand what our offensive coordinator has (planned) for him," Holmes said. “But as a football player and a teammate of his, we want to see him succeed by playing his role in helping the team win ball games. We’re not going to ask for Tim Tebow to get out there and run the ball 60 times in a game or throw it 25 times. We’re going to ask for Tim Tebow to accept his plays and his role on this team, score touchdowns, make first downs, help our team keep drives alive and win ball games.”
    Amen.

    I'm sure the usual cast of characters (Florio, Cimini, Francessa) are going to jump all over this - even though it's 100% true.
    Last edited by IndianaJet; 07-18-2012 at 03:02 PM.

  2. #2
    He's sort of saying the right things but I have a tough time believing him because of LT's locker room comments.

  3. #3
    All League
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    The Bronx, USA
    Posts
    4,793
    Here we go. Fat boy to respond at 3:25

  4. #4
    Jets Insider VIP
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    The Big Apple, USA
    Posts
    22,271
    thank goodness Tone is still here as a Jet and Lalameion Washedupinson is GONE

  5. #5
    LT is doing what Joe Namath did. Stating the obvious.

  6. #6
    I get what he's saying but you can't expect the media to play nice. They're not a propaganda machine designed to sing the Jets praises. What he's gotta do is just say the right things and let his play speak for itself on the field.

  7. #7
    Jets Insider VIP
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Boynton Beach, FL
    Posts
    9,112
    Its a privilege to cover the Jets.

  8. #8
    Jets Insider VIP
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    In Morris Co., N.J. at the right end of a Browning 12 gauge, with Nick to my left n Rex to my right.
    Posts
    17,274
    Deal with your problems behind closed doors.

  9. #9
    Quote Originally Posted by MagroCrag View Post
    I get what he's saying but you can't expect the media to play nice. They're not a propaganda machine designed to sing the Jets praises. What he's gotta do is just say the right things and let his play speak for itself on the field.
    I agree he spun it wrong. Instead of saying don't focus on the negative (which drives 99% of all news) he should have been on them for making sh!t up and making news out of nothing.

  10. #10
    There's a huge difference between unbiased reporting (showcasing positive AND negative) and completely turning everything to a negative just to sell clicks on lowly nj.com or the just-for-teenagers Espn.com.

    Perfect example is how the media treated Holmes' Monday comments. He said he doesn't believe a traditional two-QB system in the NFL would work. The Jets are not running a traditional two-QB system. Good point and I agree with him. But every media outlet I visited spun it as "Holmes says Jets' two-QB system won't work". Complete crap. I'd be ashamed to be Dick Semen-I or Jane Magnum or any of the other poop-smearing journalists the local rags employ (Mehta).

    Turned on SNY the other day and they were promo'ing the season premeire of Jets Nation. There are so many great stories to discuss with regard to changes on this team. We have new free agents. We just had one of the best drafts in years. Want to know what they advertised they would be talking about on this season premeire?

    "WHO SHOULD START, Sanchez or....TEBOW???"
    "Plus we have the latest on the potential Revis holdout, WILL HE OR WON'T HE"

    That was all. Are you kidding me.

  11. #11
    Jets Insider VIP
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    The Big Apple, USA
    Posts
    22,271
    Quote Originally Posted by Astoria View Post
    There's a huge difference between unbiased reporting (showcasing positive AND negative) and completely turning everything to a negative just to sell clicks on lowly nj.com or the just-for-teenagers Espn.com.

    Perfect example is how the media treated Holmes' Monday comments. He said he doesn't believe a traditional two-QB system in the NFL would work. The Jets are not running a traditional two-QB system. Good point and I agree with him. But every media outlet I visited spun it as "Holmes says Jets' two-QB system won't work". Complete crap. I'd be ashamed to be Dick Semen-I or Jane Magnum or any of the other poop-smearing journalists the local rags employ (Mehta).

    Turned on SNY the other day and they were promo'ing the season premeire of Jets Nation. There are so many great stories to discuss with regard to changes on this team. We have new free agents. We just had one of the best drafts in years. Want to know what they advertised they would be talking about on this season premeire?

    "WHO SHOULD START, Sanchez or....TEBOW???"
    "Plus we have the latest on the potential Revis holdout, WILL HE OR WON'T HE"

    That was all. Are you kidding me.
    EXCELLENT POINTS ALL

    I will be once again adopting my plan of last year to TURN OFF ALL the electronic jackals and NOT READ ALL of the print jackasses as soon as training camp begins at the end of this month


    sorry Dick Semen-i YOU'RE OUTTA HERE

  12. #12
    All League
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    Southern California
    Posts
    2,681
    Manish Mehta reported all that **** last year and I have given him hell over Twitter many many many times until he blocked me. I know ITS HIS JOB to write that **** but **** him for digging up so much ****ing dirt last year. Doing your job or not, I am not going to like/support some cockbag who is constantly writing about players sniping about eachother...sorry.

    **** You Mehta.

  13. #13
    Quote Originally Posted by SouthTown View Post
    Manish Mehta reported all that **** last year and I have given him hell over Twitter many many many times until he blocked me. I know ITS HIS JOB to write that **** but **** him for digging up so much ****ing dirt last year. Doing your job or not, I am not going to like/support some cockbag who is constantly writing about players sniping about eachother...sorry.

    **** You Mehta.
    this...i'm willing to bet any writer could find comparable stories in any NFL locker room across the country, if they made it their mission.

  14. #14
    Hall Of Fame
    Join Date
    Jun 2003
    Location
    Bergen County, NJ
    Posts
    20,115
    Quote Originally Posted by SouthTown View Post
    Manish Mehta reported all that **** last year and I have given him hell over Twitter many many many times until he blocked me. I know ITS HIS JOB to write that **** but **** him for digging up so much ****ing dirt last year. Doing your job or not, I am not going to like/support some cockbag who is constantly writing about players sniping about eachother...sorry.

    **** You Mehta.
    He blocked you on twitter?

    I'm surprised.

    _

  15. #15
    Hall Of Fame
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    Mendham, NJ
    Posts
    14,269
    Quote Originally Posted by sg3 View Post
    EXCELLENT POINTS ALL

    I will be once again adopting my plan of last year to TURN OFF ALL the electronic jackals and NOT READ ALL of the print jackasses as soon as training camp begins at the end of this month


    sorry Dick Semen-i YOU'RE OUTTA HERE
    Agree 100%. Journalism is dead and gone. Its all about getting your name out there as being controversial and noticed. No one remembers the nice positive stories, all they bring up is turmoil and controversy. Its up to the fans to really decide for themselves what is really going on.

  16. #16
    Bewildered Beast
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    SF via Strong Island
    Posts
    31,155
    Quote Originally Posted by Joe W. Namath View Post
    Its a privilege to cover the Jets.
    Well done; exactly what came to my mind.

  17. #17
    All League
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    Southern California
    Posts
    2,681
    Quote Originally Posted by JStokes View Post
    He blocked you on twitter?

    I'm surprised.

    _

    Ya believe that ****?

    I don't understand why that mother ****er would block my ass. Piece of ****.

  18. #18
    Why does he think the media should concentrate on the positive- This is not serious news but entertainment. The media's job is to sell media. If they think a negative spin will sell more than a positive one, that is what you get. This guy has been in the league 5 full years and he has not realized that yet.

    The established media will like nothing better than to tear a team apart. This guy talks to the media more than Sanchez does. He not only wants the spotlight on the field but off of it also.l

  19. #19
    Rookie
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Walla Walla, Wa.
    Posts
    912
    Quote Originally Posted by Astoria View Post
    There's a huge difference between unbiased reporting (showcasing positive AND negative) and completely turning everything to a negative just to sell clicks on lowly nj.com or the just-for-teenagers Espn.com.

    Perfect example is how the media treated Holmes' Monday comments. He said he doesn't believe a traditional two-QB system in the NFL would work. The Jets are not running a traditional two-QB system. Good point and I agree with him. But every media outlet I visited spun it as "Holmes says Jets' two-QB system won't work". Complete crap. I'd be ashamed to be Dick Semen-I or Jane Magnum or any of the other poop-smearing journalists the local rags employ (Mehta).

    Turned on SNY the other day and they were promo'ing the season premeire of Jets Nation. There are so many great stories to discuss with regard to changes on this team. We have new free agents. We just had one of the best drafts in years. Want to know what they advertised they would be talking about on this season premeire?

    "WHO SHOULD START, Sanchez or....TEBOW???"
    "Plus we have the latest on the potential Revis holdout, WILL HE OR WON'T HE"

    That was all. Are you kidding me.
    Your right on the money Astoria. Remines me of 1985 when we bolted 10-1. Then some dick weed named Paul Mcquire working for nbc made a pediction. I'm not going into details, makes me mad thinking about it.

  20. #20
    Hall Of Fame
    Join Date
    Jun 2003
    Location
    Bergen County, NJ
    Posts
    20,115
    Quote Originally Posted by SouthTown View Post
    Ya believe that ****?

    I don't understand why that mother ****er would block my ass. Piece of ****.
    Srsly?

    _

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Follow Us