Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
Results 21 to 40 of 83

Thread: Someone had to say it - Santonio did.

  1. #21
    JetsInsider.com Legend
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    37,752
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by IndianaJet View Post
    Holmes criticized the media for producing negative press in order to drive ratings and readership. He campaigned for positive articles.
    "If you guys want to be, and this is for the New York media, if you guys want to be a part of our team and want to feel so important, be there to support us, not to try to break us down,” Holmes said. “Because (there’s) not one day that we all step in that locker room and we try to break each other down, that we talk bad about the way that person played because it affects the team the way one person plays if they don’t play to perfection.
    “So, if the New York media wants to be a part of our team and wants to continue writing about us, write positive things. Stay away from the negative, because it doesn’t do anything good for our team that you want to report all the negative things that happen and that’s all you want to talk to us players about. We live for one thing and that’s to play football and not to entertain you people in the media.”

    Amen.

    I'm sure the usual cast of characters (Florio, Cimini, Francessa) are going to jump all over this - even though it's 100% true.
    No it's not true.

    The Media is not a "part of the team" nor should they be.

    They exist to sell papers or website ads, thats it. Whatever you New Yorkers buy up most is at they'll print and post.

    Only a total moutbreathing moron would think the media exists to support or help or bolster or assist their local NFL team play better or feel better.

    You (and Tone the Locker Room Cancer Quitter) want to point a finger at someone, point it at the fans and the newspaper buyers and radio listeners. Without them, there is no Francessa or the rest.

    You. Not them. You.

    Sorry, but this incredably self-serving lecture from a bad apple whose been busted by the very press he's lecturing should be quite transparant to one and all.

    Of course 'Tone doesn't want negative stories....he's usually in them.

  2. #22
    Hall Of Fame
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Posts
    16,710
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Warfish View Post
    No it's not true.

    The Media is not a "part of the team" nor should they be.

    They exist to sell papers or website ads, thats it. Whatever you New Yorkers buy up most is at they'll print and post.

    Only a total moutbreathing moron would think the media exists to support or help or bolster or assist their local NFL team play better or feel better.

    You (and Tone the Locker Room Cancer Quitter) want to point a finger at someone, point it at the fans and the newspaper buyers and radio listeners. Without them, there is no Francessa or the rest.

    You. Not them. You.

    Sorry, but this incredably self-serving lecture from a bad apple whose been busted by the very press he's lecturing should be quite transparant to one and all.

    Of course 'Tone doesn't want negative stories....he's usually in them.
    so angry, this fist.

    just as it's not the media's job to waive pom-pom's and be a part of the team, it's not their job to spin every bit of news in the most negative sense possible and rip the team at every turn.

    Tone's just saying "stop with the BS and do straight reporting, and if you can't do that, then GTFO."


    and he's absolutely right -- this time

  3. #23
    All Pro
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Hawthorne NJ
    Posts
    7,442
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by patman View Post
    Why does he think the media should concentrate on the positive- This is not serious news but entertainment. The media's job is to sell media. If they think a negative spin will sell more than a positive one, that is what you get. This guy has been in the league 5 full years and he has not realized that yet.

    The established media will like nothing better than to tear a team apart. This guy talks to the media more than Sanchez does. He not only wants the spotlight on the field but off of it also.l
    The beat writers are basically part of the team. They can restrict access to these guys if they want to. He spent 3 years in Pittsburgh where there's no way they write stories like they do here, so he sees how the beat writers could actually improve fan relations. Most towns are like that. NY, and Boston are the worst by far. NY because there's like 15 papers fighting for headlines, and Boston, because your fans enjoy being treated that way. The Jets get it worse than the Giants, and the players see that.

  4. #24
    Hall Of Fame
    Join Date
    Jun 2003
    Location
    Bergen County, NJ
    Posts
    20,115
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Warfish View Post

    Only a total moutbreathing moron would think the media exists to support or help or bolster or assist their local NFL team play better or feel better.
    Especially true for NY.

    Maybe the Peoria Chiefs, but not any local team.

    _

  5. #25
    Hall Of Fame
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Posts
    13,230
    Post Thanks / Like
    I think Santonio needs to STFU and get over it. Does he really think that by suggesting things to the NY media that they will suddenly change their tune? C'mon REALLY?!

    The NY media has been talking sh*t since the beginning of time. Now, Santonio Holmes is going to change it? That's got to be the dumbest thing I've ever heard.

    Santonio will win this debate over and over again in the eyes of the fans. If he goes and plays his a$$ off and catches touchdowns and becomes a truly dominant weapon by working with Sanchez and developing CHEMISTRY, the results will speak for themselves.

    Stop reading the newspapers, Santonio. You KNOW it is ALWAYS going to be sh*t, so why fight things that you cannot possibly control? That makes no sense whatsoever.

    Control the things that you can control and everything will work itself out.

  6. #26
    Waterboy
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Posts
    12
    Post Thanks / Like
    I'm glad Holmes said it - hopefully it sparks a discussion amongst the coaching staff and they will consider their options

  7. #27
    Practice Squad
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Posts
    499
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Warfish View Post
    No it's not true.

    The Media is not a "part of the team" nor should they be.

    They exist to sell papers or website ads, thats it. Whatever you New Yorkers buy up most is at they'll print and post.

    Only a total moutbreathing moron would think the media exists to support or help or bolster or assist their local NFL team play better or feel better.

    You (and Tone the Locker Room Cancer Quitter) want to point a finger at someone, point it at the fans and the newspaper buyers and radio listeners. Without them, there is no Francessa or the rest.

    You. Not them. You.

    Sorry, but this incredably self-serving lecture from a bad apple whose been busted by the very press he's lecturing should be quite transparant to one and all.

    Of course 'Tone doesn't want negative stories....he's usually in them.
    You said it before me. Also it is hard to feel bad for the Jets when they have a culture beggin' for media to cover they from their owner on down. You can not now diss the media and expect everything to go back to the Mangini era

  8. #28
    All Pro
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Posts
    6,056
    Post Thanks / Like
    I live in Miami and the media here is different, they rip the teams but they are homers at heart, not so in NY.

  9. #29
    All League
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Posts
    3,128
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Warfish View Post
    No it's not true.

    The Media is not a "part of the team" nor should they be.

    They exist to sell papers or website ads, thats it. Whatever you New Yorkers buy up most is at they'll print and post.

    Only a total moutbreathing moron would think the media exists to support or help or bolster or assist their local NFL team play better or feel better.

    You (and Tone the Locker Room Cancer Quitter) want to point a finger at someone, point it at the fans and the newspaper buyers and radio listeners. Without them, there is no Francessa or the rest.

    You. Not them. You.

    Sorry, but this incredably self-serving lecture from a bad apple whose been busted by the very press he's lecturing should be quite transparant to one and all.

    Of course 'Tone doesn't want negative stories....he's usually in them.

    +1.

  10. #30
    All League
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Posts
    3,128
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by NY's stepchild View Post
    He spent 3 years in Pittsburgh where there's no way they write stories like they do here, so he sees how the beat writers could actually improve fan relations.

    Wait, are you saying that in Pittsburgh - home of a 6-time Super Bowl champion and perennial contender and classy franchise (that practically gave Holmes away, obviously for good reason) - that they don't write as many negative articles as people who cover our Jets, 1-time Super Bowl champion and perennial underachiever? You're kidding!

  11. #31
    Hall Of Fame
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Posts
    16,593
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Dirtstar View Post
    so angry, this fist.

    just as it's not the media's job to waive pom-pom's and be a part of the team, it's not their job to spin every bit of news in the most negative sense possible and rip the team at every turn.

    Tone's just saying "stop with the BS and do straight reporting, and if you can't do that, then GTFO."


    and he's absolutely right -- this time


    /thread

  12. #32
    Undrafted Free Agent
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Posts
    21
    Post Thanks / Like
    Sorry I'll take the high road here and disagree with Holmes. What do you want a journalist to do? Pretend the bad stuff isn't happening? That's beyond stupid. It's his job to cover the team, good or bad. If you hate Cimini because he wrote an article about you and Hunter and people said the locker room was bad, too bad. Don't give him the opportunity to say that.

  13. #33
    All Pro
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Hawthorne NJ
    Posts
    7,442
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Toooon View Post
    Wait, are you saying that in Pittsburgh - home of a 6-time Super Bowl champion and perennial contender and classy franchise (that practically gave Holmes away, obviously for good reason) - that they don't write as many negative articles as people who cover our Jets, 1-time Super Bowl champion and perennial underachiever? You're kidding!
    You mean team rapist? I realize you're a same old Jet hater, but Pittsburgh's players are not so great, you just don't hear as much about them. The fans are also more supportive than the jack offs around here. Just maybe that helps them stay perennial contenders. Being a wise ass does not help you prove your point btw.

  14. #34
    All Pro
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Posts
    9,504
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by JesusRevis View Post
    Sorry I'll take the high road here and disagree with Holmes. What do you want a journalist to do? Pretend the bad stuff isn't happening? That's beyond stupid. It's his job to cover the team, good or bad. If you hate Cimini because he wrote an article about you and Hunter and people said the locker room was bad, too bad. Don't give him the opportunity to say that.
    +1

    Holmes needs to shut his fkn mouth.

    Holmes doesn't get it. He's the ONLY Jet saying this and guess why.... HAND WRITING ON THE WALL... it's because HE is THE FOCAL POINT of THE NEGATIVITY! Get a clue.

  15. #35
    All Pro
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Posts
    9,504
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by southside View Post
    +1

    Holmes needs to shut his fkn mouth.

    Holmes doesn't get it. He's the ONLY Jet saying this and guess why.... HAND WRITING ON THE WALL... it's because HE is THE FOCAL POINT of THE NEGATIVITY! Get a clue.
    I'm gonna pull a SAR....



    Any one that sides with this guy is a naive individual.

  16. #36
    All League
    Charter JI Member

    Join Date
    May 1999
    Location
    Fishers, Indiana
    Posts
    3,953
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by southside View Post
    I'm gonna pull a SAR....



    Any one that sides with this guy is a naive individual.
    Give me an f'ing break. The only people who are naive are the people who think the NY media and segments of the national media don't go out of their way in an attempt to CREATE controversy.

    That's not their job. If there is true controversy...report it.

    But when I'm sitting at lunch yesterday and I look up at the screen and ESPN is running a segment on "Tim Tebow is spotted in West Hollywood should he be there?"

    That's just bush league BS crap by media organizations looking to CREATE controversy.

    Just because Santonio said it, doesn't mean it's not true. He's said a ton of stupid stuff in the past but not this time.

  17. #37
    Jets Insider VIP
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    The Big Apple, USA
    Posts
    22,030
    Post Thanks / Like
    Espn hired Dick Semen-i

    why should anyone expect anything halfway responsible from them after that?

  18. #38
    Veteran
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Posts
    1,257
    Post Thanks / Like
    Anyone who actually looks at Santino's comments and says things like "oh someone had to say it" or "he gets it" is absolutely clueless as to how the business works.

    The media isn't "part of the team" as Santonio seemed to put it. They are not paid by the team, they are not employees of the team (obviously), they have no connection with the team other than the newspaper's/website's sports director telling them "hey, you're on the Jets beat", and that very connection could be eliminated on any given night when they're told "Hey, you're covering basketball from now on" or something along those lines. The media is a separate business all unto itself. They are paid to sell papers, get viewers, and get hits on their website, etc. No duty whatsoever to report positive things about the team. You might not like it, but that's what the media's job is - to sell. Bottom line is if Santonio keeps his mouth shut and plays football, he wouldn't need to call out the media for writing negative things because most of them wouldn't be in that scenario.

  19. #39
    JetsInsider.com Legend
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Posts
    26,248
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by JesusRevis View Post
    Sorry I'll take the high road here and disagree with Holmes. What do you want a journalist to do? Pretend the bad stuff isn't happening? That's beyond stupid. It's his job to cover the team, good or bad. If you hate Cimini because he wrote an article about you and Hunter and people said the locker room was bad, too bad. Don't give him the opportunity to say that.
    When your kids do something wrong, keep reminding them of it for the next year.

  20. #40
    Veteran
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Posts
    1,257
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by John_0515 View Post
    When your kids do something wrong, keep reminding them of it for the next year.
    You also don't receive a salary to be a parent and sell stories about your kid.

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Follow Us