Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: Someone had to say it - Santonio did.

Quote Originally Posted by Warfish View Post
    Negativity sells, and fans lap it up in vast qualtities over positivity.
    For me, the issue isn't just a matter of putting a positive or negative spin on a story. It often has to do with a "reporter" trying to manufacture a story that's damaging to the team. Bombarding Darrelle Revis with questions about whether or not he's going to hold out is not reporting a story. If Revis decides to say that he's going to hold out, that's a story. If he makes a public statement that he's unhappy with his contract, that's a story. Revis has done none of those things this offseason -- in fact, it's clear that he's trying desperately to avoid the subject but is not being allowed to. Trying to bait him into saying something controversial is a contrivance, and if I remember correctly, Cimini (the guy who is now outraged at Holmes' "whining"), was one of the first -- if not the first -- to hop on that bandwagon.

I realize that reporters baiting their subjects is nothing new, but it doesn't mean I have to like it -- particularly if it's detrimental to my team.

Quote Originally Posted by MykePM View Post
    For me, the issue isn't just a matter of putting a positive or negative spin on a story. It often has to do with a "reporter" trying to manufacture a story that's damaging to the team. Bombarding Darrelle Revis with questions about whether or not he's going to hold out is not reporting a story. If Revis decides to say that he's going to hold out, that's a story. If he makes a public statement that he's unhappy with his contract, that's a story. Revis has done none of those things this offseason -- in fact, it's clear that he's trying desperately to avoid the subject but is not being allowed to. Trying to bait him into saying something controversial is a contrivance, and if I remember correctly, Cimini (the guy who is now outraged at Holmes' "whining"), was one of the first -- if not the first -- to hop on that bandwagon.

I realize that reporters baiting their subjects is nothing new, but it doesn't mean I have to like it -- particularly if it's detrimental to my team.

From a reporter's perspective, it's real simple. Revis could have squashed the issue from the get go.

Reporter: Are you going to hold out ? Or will you be at camp ?
    Revis: I'm under contract and I'll be there.

Agree with it or not, but there's a story here. Will Revis hold out ? Or will he honor his existing contract ? It's a question that fans want an answer to, so it's more than reasonable for reporters to ask about it and to speculate.

Quote Originally Posted by MykePM View Post
    I disagree with your argument on Revis, who has a history of holding out and had thre power to defuse the potential story with his own direct, unequivocal comments.

But really all that matters is the quoted part. If you don't like it, don't support it by partaking of that media. Perhaps you don't, but it sure seems like most DO read the haters and DO listen to Francessa, and then yap endlessly about it here, thus validating their tactics from a media slaes perspective.

If more did that, and didn't partake or talk on foums about these media guys, the media would provide more of what you DO want and partake of.