Enjoy an Ads-Free Jets Insider - Become a Jets Insider VIP!
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: Jets won't re-sign Jim Leonhard

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by JetsCrazey View Post
    Jets will regret not bringing back Leonhard. Between Landry and Bell, someone is getting injured.
    Let's just hope Belichick doesn't sign him.
    so the solution to our safeties' injury woes is to bring back a safety who's had MAJOR leg injuries in back-to-back seasons?

i like Leonhard for his hustle, heart, and leadership. but let's not forget that he was below average, at best, last year. he's not the player he was in 2009 and 2010 before the injuries, and i don't think he'll be any better after a busted knee.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    it all starts up front. leonhard will be missed from the defensive signals standpoint. he seemed to have a really good feel for rex's defense and was always trying to make plays.

it would be nice if he came back as a coach.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by GuidoYaztremski View Post
    Lmfao....way to stay on topic. And you dare call anyone else a troll.
    It was on topic ala your post.

Whiney baby.

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Jordy View Post
    It was on topic ala your post.

Whiney baby.
    ''Ala''?

What a maroon.

Talk about whiney trolls.

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP
    JetsInsider.com Legend

Post Thanks / Like
    ''Ala''?

What a maroon.

I find it enormously difficult to picture you two as grown men with careers, families and attendant responsibilities, but since you are the chowd.... shut up already.

Thz

-

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    ''Ala''?

What a maroon.

Wow. I even try to inject some humor (ala DWC) and you pick on that.

Rookie
    Post Thanks / Like
    no news here, keep moving

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Wow... couldn't even manage to get a rise out of Stokes with respect to my "short man" catching a break quip.

Now I am saddened

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by EM31 View Post
    Wow... couldn't even manage to get a rise out of Stokes with respect to my "short man" catching a break quip.

Now I am saddened
    He has you on the sg3 ignore list.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Trades View Post
    Yeremiah Bell is 34.
    Your point being?

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Gas2No99 View Post
    Jets won't re-sign Jim Leonhard

By @$$H0L3 ESPN Jets beat writer.

Free-agent safety Jim Leonhard, a Rex Ryan favorite who galvanized the New York Jets' secondary for three seasons, won't be back with the team.

After revamping the safety position in the offseason, the Jets have decided not to re-sign Leonhard, according to league sources.

Leonhard, 29, is recovering from major knee surgery, but still hopes to play this season. The injury occurred last Dec. 11 -- a torn patellar tendon -- a devastating blow for a player in the final year of his contract.

As much as they admire Leonhard, the Jets signed two free agents, LaRon Landry and Yeremiah Bell, formerly of the Washington Redskins and Miami Dolphins, respectively. They retained veteran Eric Smith and drafted two safeties, Josh Bush and Antonio Allen, making Leonhard expendable. Even so, there was speculation that he'd back.

Leonhard could return if there's an injury at safety, but the Jets' plan is to move ahead without the popular defender, who called the signals for Ryan's secondary.

"Hopefully, in the next few weeks, I get some workouts and get a contract," Leonhard recently told a TV station in his native Wisconsin. "The knee is feeling great and I'm ready to go. I'm getting antsy. Football is around the corner and I don't have a team ... I know I'm going to be playing football somewhere this season. I just have to figure out where."

Leonhard finished the last two seasons on injured reserve, so there are questions about his durability. In December, 2010, he suffered a horrific broken leg in practice, requiring surgery. He made a comeback, started 13 games last season and finished fifth on the team in tackles.

With Leonhard out of the lineup, there was a noticeable drop off in the Jets' secondary play.
    This was never breaking news that Leonhard wouldn't be back. When a team gives a veteran player number away and it safe to assume the team has no interest in bringing him back. Jets went out and added a lot of safeties and I guess they wanted a change at that position.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    I'm more worried about who's going to catch punts. I think guys know the defense pretty well by now.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by NY's stepchild View Post
    I'm more worried about who's going to catch punts. I think guys know the defense pretty well by now.
    I say bring back Jumbo Elliot to handle punts.

Jumbo was clutch. And clutch is everything.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    I say bring back Jumbo Elliot to handle punts.

Jumbo was clutch. And clutch is everything.
    He was double clutch

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    He was double clutch
    LOL. Nice.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    He has you on the sg3 ignore list.
    I have a little fun with Stokes from time to time as he does with me (no homo).

I think he is one of the sharpest posters on a board which has quite a few smart folks. Sometimes he needs to learn how to be the bigger man of course but that is a tale for another time.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    He was double clutch
    He double clutched on that TD pass if I recollect clearly.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Was he home when BB and the Pats called ???

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    http://blog.jimleonhardfootball.com/

He will be missed.

ESPN: Jets' Jimmy on the spot seizes the day

Leonhard's TD-saving play symbolized team's never-give-up attitude in thrilling win
    By Rich Cimini
    ESPNNewYork.com

EAST RUTHERFORD, N.J. -- Jim Leonhard came out of nowhere, just like the New York Jets. He chased down Jason Witten and wrestled him out of bounds, saving a touchdown and giving his team a chance to pull off one of the most improbable comeback victories in franchise history.

When N.F.L. Stopped, Leonhard Kept Going
    New York Times
    By BEN SHPIGEL
    Published: August 6, 2011

Cornerback Darrelle Revis said of Leonhard: “He’s our quarterback out there. He’s the Peyton Manning-Tom Brady of our defense. When he got hurt, I know I felt like we were going to have a problem back there.”

Leonhard Still Pitches In Everywhere He Can
    New York Jets | Randy's Radar
    Posted by Eric Allen on January 19, 2011 – 5:23 pm

Instead of sulking about not playing in his third consecutive conference championship, Leonhard’s been a fixture at the facility: watching film, going to meetings and dropping bits of knowledge on his teammates

ESPN: Leonhard on Manning mind gamesPosted byJim and Katieon1/07/20110 comments
    Labels:Indianapolis Colts,Jim Leonhard,Manning,New York Jets

Jets' Leonhard contributes, even off the field

And last year, thanks to Leonhard, the run lasted pretty long. In the wild-card win over the Bengals, he had a sack and a forced fumble. In the divisional victory against the Chargers, he picked off Philip Rivers and made six tackles.

Nevertheless, Leonhard remains useful. He watches tape and speaks to the safeties and defensive coaches, dispensing details that might benefit his crew.

"I love these guys," he said. "This is my team."

"He comes by every now and then and talks to us," safety Brodney Pool said. "This week especially."

Last edited by JetsNeedNewton; 07-21-2012 at 11:07 AM.

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    Better then NE if it happens.

Could Jim Leonhard Return To Baltimore?

Jul 20th, 2012 at 11:59 pm by Riley BRavens

Home Ľ Ravens Ľ Could Jim Leonhard Return To Baltimore?

Nov 13, 2011; East Rutherford, NJ, USA; New York Jets strong safety Jim Leonhard (36) before the game against the New England Patriots at MetLife Stadium. Mandatory Credit: Anthony Gruppuso-US PRESSWIRE

Former Baltimore Ravensí safety Jim Leonhard joined Rex Ryan the New York Jets in 2008. This past season, Leonhard after tore the patellar tendon in his knee and required major, season-ending knee surgery. Now, the Jets have announced that they will not re-sign Leonhard after three seasons in New York.
    Although the Ravens currently have some good decent depth at safety, would it be ridiculous for them to consider signing Jim Leonhard? Though not a necessity at the moment, Jim Leonhard could be a solid pickup for the Ravens. While his knee injury is a cause for concern, Leonhard has showed over the past few seasons that he is a reliable and consistent player that can help a teamís secondary. I could see Leonhard play a significant role with the Ravens as a backup and on special teams. He has experience with the Ravens as he started 13 games in 2008, and could probably be acquired for fairly cheap.