Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Jets won't re-sign Jim Leonhard

Jets Insider VIP
    Great Jet with the heart of a lion. Ill always remember his great clutch plays including even the spectacular diving interception on which he injured that patella tendon

If he doesnt return he will be missed by ALL Jet fans...and of course NONE of the resident SOJFs that unfortunately still infest JI

Sent from my SGH-T679 using Tapatalk 2

Hall Of Fame
    Quote Originally Posted by sg3 View Post
    If he doesnt return he will be missed by ALL Jet fans...and of course NONE of the resident SOJFs that unfortunately still infest JI
    Wrong.

I am one of Leonhard's biggest supporters.

Can't blame you for lobbying for bans. Mods gave you a mandate.

The signing of Yeremiah Bell cemented the decision to move on, so this should be a surprise to no one. Leonhard winded up on the injured reserve the last two seasons and eventually you have to let the youngsters play. As it is there are five safeties who are almost certain locks to make the 53 man roster: Bell, LaRon Landry, Eric Smith, Josh Bush and Antonio Allen.

All Pro
    Until Leonard signs somewhere else, it's stupid to say he won't be back. There's at least a 60% chance that there will be an injury, so at least a 60% chance that he'll be back if he doesn't sign elsewhere.

Jets Insider VIP
    Supposedly he made up for his size with a deep understanding of the defense. They say he knew every position and that team mates would talk to him to get a better understanding of their position. Hire him as asst. secondary coach and help him move on to a job where he won't get killed and might help the team. He was a huge help to Rex's transition but the injuries are troublesome at the least.

Jets Insider VIP
    Quote Originally Posted by 124 View Post
    The signing of Yeremiah Bell cemented the decision to move on, so this should be a surprise to no one. Leonhard winded up on the injured reserve the last two seasons and eventually you have to let the youngsters play. As it is there are five safeties who are almost certain locks to make the 53 man roster: Bell, LaRon Landry, Eric Smith, Josh Bush and Antonio Allen.
    Yeremiah Bell is 34.

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP
    JetsInsider.com Legend

Quote Originally Posted by sg3 View Post
    Lol....can you ever post without lashing out at someone? Pats fans, other Jet fans...have you had your blood pressure checked lately?

-

Quote Originally Posted by NY2FLDWC85 View Post
    I thought the world of Jim Leonhard during the 2009 season, but that was 3 years ago. As of right now (here in 2012), he's on the verge of turning 30 (October), and after consecutive years of season ending injuries; he's a shell of what he once was. During the 2010 season, Leonhard fractured his tibia in which required season ending surgery (that same night). Then, last year, Leonhard suffered a torn patellar tendon in the right knee, which also required season ending surgery. For an undersized safety who never had the greatest athletic ability and/or speed/quickness to begin with (to say the least) none of this spells out a player worth re-signing. It was time for Jim Leonhard to go.

We all know about Bell and Landry as our (potential) starters, but a true sleeper could become Antonio Allen out of South Carolina. Kid is not only physically talented, but also has SEC college experience. Anxious to see him take the field come preseason, because 's style of play reminds me of a clone of Kerry Rhodes (Before Rhodes turned into a lazy/twittering player).

As a fan of this franchise, I'd much rather see our coaching staff take our chances with a 6'1", 210 pound rookie, who's only 23 years of age, especially when in comparison to a 29 year old Safety who's coming off consecutive season ending injuries in which required surgery, not to mention a safety who's undersized to begin with at 5'8'', 188 lbs.

I loved the overall heart that Leonhard played the game with, I enjoyed his football IQ and/or leadership ability, but at the end of the day? He's a shell of what he once was. Our coaching staff (I believe) made the right decision. It was time to move on.
    LOL...YOU calling him a "shell of what he once was". (Twice no less, like once wasn't enough) You haven't even seen him play since the injury yet you're able to somehow divine he has nothing left? You're like magic! Besides, remember when you declared Brady done in '09 and Welker would never be the same player in '10? You suck at predictions Phil.

And it seems that you think at 30 Leonhard is too old to be effective, but you're relying on Bell, who is 34, and two unproven rookies (and one a seventh round pick), to be come your starter at safety. Too funny.

I hope the Pats give Leonhard a shot.
    Last edited by GuidoYaztremski; 07-19-2012 at 08:08 AM.

Jets Insider VIP
    Quote Originally Posted by DDNYjets View Post
    Wrong.

I am one of Leonhard's biggest supporters.

Can't blame you for lobbying for bans. Mods gave you a mandate.
    wrong

you're not even on my SOJF self-banned ignore list (rextilleon division) so stop whining

I agree with you about Lion-heart and hope the Jets will find someway to bring him back

All Pro
    Josh Bush is the only free safety on the team. Of course we all hope he makes an impact. He could very well be on some sub teams early, but he's a 6th round rookie. Doubtful that he takes a starting job. Pretty lucky for a 6th round pick though. A lot luckier than Antonio Allen, who looks like a player, but is nothing like Carrie Rhodes. He hits like a LB, and covers like one. He's more like a Yeremiah clone,and will be 4th on the Strong safety depth chart. He has some great guys to learn from though, and I wouldn't be surprised if he's a big part of our future.
    I suppose the Jets were waiting to see in Landry was coming along, before they let Leonhard know they weren't going to re sign him. They probably want to give him the chance to pick up with another team, but there is no way we can count on Landry being/remaining healthy, so I'm hoping he doesn't find any takers. God I hope Landry is healthy though. Gronk does not want to get laid out by this guy, and just think how Welker's gonna feel. I'm trying not to get my hopes up.

Quote Originally Posted by NY's stepchild View Post
    Josh Bush is the only free safety on the team. Of course we all hope he makes an impact. He could very well be on some sub teams early, but he's a 6th round rookie. Doubtful that he takes a starting job. Pretty lucky for a 6th round pick though. A lot luckier than Antonio Allen, who looks like a player, but is nothing like Carrie Rhodes. He hits like a LB, and covers like one. He's more like a Yeremiah clone,and will be 4th on the Strong safety depth chart. He has some great guys to learn from though, and I wouldn't be surprised if he's a big part of our future.
    I suppose the Jets were waiting to see in Landry was coming along, before they let Leonhard know they weren't going to re sign him. They probably want to give him the chance to pick up with another team, but there is no way we can count on Landry being/remaining healthy, so I'm hoping he doesn't find any takers. God I hope Landry is healthy though. Gronk does not want to get laid out by this guy, and just think how Welker's gonna feel. I'm trying not to get my hopes up.

I'll concede that Welker will have matchup problems against Landry, who could destroy him over the middle. But Gronk has 6 inches and 45 pounds on him. I don't think he's too worried. We'll see who lays who out. My money is on Gronk as the guy who gets up after the big hit as the only healthy one. Should be fun to watch.

All Pro
    Quote Originally Posted by JetsNeedNewton View Post
    Hello New England... bank on it.
    He'll be a Patriot within a month.

All Pro
    Quote Originally Posted by GuidoYaztremski View Post
    I'll concede that Welker will have matchup problems against Landry, who could destroy him over the middle. But Gronk has 6 inches and 45 pounds on him. I don't think he's too worried. We'll see who lays who out. My money is on Gronk as the guy who gets up after the big hit as the only healthy one. Should be fun to watch.
    Idk if 220lbs is correct, but I wouldn't want to get hit by this guy.

I hear ya. And I don't know if 6'6" and 265 is correct either, but I wouldn't want to have to take down this guy running full speed at me.

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP
    Charter JI Member

Lmao, yeah, that looks natural

I hear ya. And I don't know if 6'6" and 265 is correct either, but I wouldn't want to have to take down this guy running full speed at me.

ghey

Jets Insider VIP
    Quote Originally Posted by Astoria View Post
    Is the Doom and Gloom last sentence really necessary? This is exactly why Holmes has beef with Semen-I and the rest of his ilk. It's blatant trolling, hoping to get hits on the lame comments section below the article.

If it's deemed necessary to compare the defense with Leonhard in and out of the lineup, you do so in the body of the article, and preferably have some...you know, actual statistics to back it up. There's no reason to end the article with that.

Stick to reporting the facts, we don't need your amateurish analysis, dick.
    I can't stand Cimini as much as anyone but I didn't get that feeling from the last sentence.

I don't think we need stats to back that up. It's pretty factual. The Jets secondary relied quite a bit on Leonhard's leadership and when he suddenly exits the lineup as he has the last 2 seasons, things seem to fall off.

The positive is that they start TC and the season without him and can develop their own, new chemistry back there.

Quote Originally Posted by Bonhomme Richard View Post

ghey

Agree on both points.....

All Pro
    Quote Originally Posted by Trades View Post
    Supposedly he made up for his size with a deep understanding of the defense. They say he knew every position and that team mates would talk to him to get a better understanding of their position. Hire him as asst. secondary coach and help him move on to a job where he won't get killed and might help the team. He was a huge help to Rex's transition but the injuries are troublesome at the least.
    He could be a great coach.

I liked him as a Jet. He gave everything he had, and that's all I think you can ask for as a fan. Sadly, at the end of the day, he's a 29 year safety with 2 leg injuries that will likely leave him a step slow. In addition, our #1 competition is a team with 2 tight ends that out weigh him by about 50 and 80 pounds. So against out biggest rival I don't see how he can really help us at all.

Jim, loved you as a player, and wish you all the success you deserve going forward.

Jets Insider VIP
    What safety doesn't give away height and pounds to Gronkowski?

I imagine the Jets will have other plans in place. Perhaps this is where Demario Davis comes in.

And don't forget, a nice hard hit to Gronk's back could sideline him for quite some time. He's not Superman. He has his kryptonite.

By the way, thanks for coming into a thread about the Jets not re-signing Leonhard and trolling away.

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP
    JetsInsider.com Legend

Quote Originally Posted by Bonhomme Richard View Post

Whats he holding, a jar of Acme Steroid Chews?

Because iffin thats some bullspit "protein" shake powder, talk about false advertising.

lol