Page 21 of 41 FirstFirst ... 11192021222331 ... LastLast
Results 401 to 420 of 820

Thread: Revisiting Gun Laws in the U.S.

  1. #401
    Hall Of Fame
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    Van down by the river
    Posts
    22,451
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by cedk View Post
    I thought the NRA did a great job pointing out that we need to arm the schools which will eliminate the knowledge for all the nutjobs that schools are a safest place to go to kill innocent people.
    The weapon free zone must go and is insane to keep .
    And yes we can afford it.
    A country that is giving money away and wasting money can afford the fundamentals of government that is to protect the people.
    But I also agree with the left to ban assault weapons and clips no more than ten bullets per clip.
    Lets do both.
    Stop the insanity of leaving the kids to get slaughtered.
    Was Ft Hood a gun free zone as well?

  2. #402
    JetsInsider.com Legend
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Posts
    49,999
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by chiefst2000 View Post
    I have a further thought on this topic. Lets picture a time in the near to distant future. The country has gone through the inevitable financial collapse due to explosion of debt. We have a period of high unemployment and hyperinflation that leaves the USA in dire straights. Lets say the country then elected a seemingly charismatic leader with the promise of reclaiming America's greatness. This leader looks for a scapegoat. Hitler rose to power in a democracy under similar circumstances. The German people were not armed and had no means to oppose him. When the call was made to begin rounding up the Jews and the Gays and the Gypsies there who knows what might have happened had those people been able to defend themselves. Maybe the German people would have joined with them to defend against the Tyranny.

    We can't know what the future will bring. It is our job as the stewards of this great nation to keep it a force for good in a troubled world. Its fortunate that the founders had the foresight to give us the protections in the BOR that the naive and shortsighted would quickly take away.
    Don't forget zombies.

  3. #403
    All League
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    East of the Jordan, West of the Rock of Gibraltar
    Posts
    4,779
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by PlumberKhan View Post
    Was Ft Hood a gun free zone as well?
    I believe there were a number of folks who were armed when Congresswoman Gifford was shot.

    The same can be said of the Reagan assassination attempt.

    Come to think of it thousands of Armed Americans were shot in WWI, WWII, the Civil War, etc...
    Last edited by Buster; 12-21-2012 at 08:08 PM.

  4. #404
    JetsInsider.com Legend
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Posts
    26,210
    Post Thanks / Like
    Okay guys, here is what I've heard (and I have been near these guys) lately. May be one or a combination of (or none):

    1. Weapons ban of 1994 re-enacted in some way. No assault weapons, no magazines higher than 20 rounds (some states have 10 round limit anyway). Class 3 items would still be allowed (like 1994), so you could theoretically get an assault rifle after waiting 6 months for a background check.

    2. Everyone is grandfathered in to what they already have (as will happen regardless), BUT no transfers for assault weapons. meaning, you're stuck with what you have, and you can't get something from here on in.

    3. Will not confiscate anything.

    4. Insurance. Gun owners will pay insurance for each gun. This is imposing a tax on gun owners. I think this one is the most likely.

    5. Class 2 items (will be assault rifles, etc. with 16"+ barrels), and will require a similar check to Class 3 items. Meaning, you can't walk into a store and buy a rifle and walk out. Limits to how many as well. Will require ATF stamp as well ($200 for Class 3 items). 6 month background check. Denials likely.

    6. Strong conservatives in the House will make many of these unlikely. The tax seems to be the biggest and most likely out of all of them.

    Everyone worried that America just bought every firearm imaginable. America has been significantly re-armed at this point. Magpul has sold its inventory for 2 years, meaning they sold 30 round magazines in the millions. No more available for the forseeable future.

    Crazy, crazy, crazy.

    May be one, combination of, or none. I'll update you as I hear more.

  5. #405
    All League
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    Wildcat Country
    Posts
    4,888
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by John_0515 View Post
    Everyone worried that America just bought every firearm imaginable. America has been significantly re-armed at this point. Magpul has sold its inventory for 2 years, meaning they sold 30 round magazines in the millions. No more available for the forseeable future.

    Crazy, crazy, crazy.
    At some point you almost have to laugh. 20 little kids massacred by a lunatic with a gun and our only significant response as a nation will be record sales of fire arms.

    This country is too stupid for words sometimes.

  6. #406
    All League
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Portland Oregon
    Posts
    4,883
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by PlumberKhan View Post
    Was Ft Hood a gun free zone as well?
    ==================================================

    Military forts have been gun free zones for almost as long as the Armed Forces have existed.

  7. #407
    All League
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Cape Cod, MA
    Posts
    3,347
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by BushyTheBeaver View Post
    At some point you almost have to laugh. 20 little kids massacred by a lunatic with a gun and our only significant response as a nation will be record sales of fire arms.

    This country is too stupid for words sometimes.
    I can't properly attribute this quote to its author, but:

    I'm all in favor of the lion laying down with the lamb, as long as I get to be the lion.

  8. #408
    Hall Of Fame
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    Van down by the river
    Posts
    22,451
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by gunnails View Post
    ==================================================

    Military forts have been gun free zones for almost as long as the Armed Forces have existed.

    And now...thanks to you...Al Qaeda knows that military forts are as soft of a target as elementary schools.

    Might as well as put up a f*cking sign that says "gun free military fort".

    Way to go. Way to keep Ameri-KUH safe, bro. Epic.
    Last edited by PlumberKhan; 12-21-2012 at 11:21 PM.

  9. #409
    JetsInsider.com Legend
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Posts
    26,210
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by PlumberKhan View Post
    And now...thanks to you...Al Qaeda knows that military forts are as soft of a target as elementary schools.

    Might as well as put up a f*cking sign that says "gun free military fort".

    Way to go. Way to keep Ameri-KUH safe, bro. Epic.
    Do you believe that sworn law enforcement officers should be mandated to carry their firearms when off duty?

  10. #410
    Hall Of Fame
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    Van down by the river
    Posts
    22,451
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by John_0515 View Post
    Do you believe that sworn law enforcement officers should be mandated to carry their firearms when off duty?
    I was being facetious in my post.

    Sure. Why not. They're well trained.

    Not that I think that will solve anything. The world isn't a spaghetti western.

  11. #411
    JetsInsider.com Legend
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Posts
    26,210
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by PlumberKhan View Post
    I was being facetious in my post.

    Sure. Why not. They're well trained.

    Not that I think that will solve anything. The world isn't a spaghetti western.
    Do you think that alcohol should be banned or restricted, as it has directly and indirectly caused more deaths than firearms in the United States?

  12. #412
    Hall Of Fame
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    Van down by the river
    Posts
    22,451
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by John_0515 View Post
    Do you think that alcohol should be banned or restricted, as it has directly and indirectly caused more deaths than firearms in the United States?
    Alcohol is restricted.


    Sent from a phone using an app

  13. #413
    JetsInsider.com Legend
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Posts
    26,210
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by PlumberKhan View Post
    Alcohol is restricted.


    Sent from a phone using an app
    Not enough to decrease the amount of DUIs, and alcohol related deaths. So, restrict firearms to people over 21? 25? Please give me some kind of reference of where you're coming from.

  14. #414
    Hall Of Fame
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    Van down by the river
    Posts
    22,451
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by John_0515 View Post
    Not enough to decrease the amount of DUIs, and alcohol related deaths. So, restrict firearms to people over 21? 25? Please give me some kind of reference of where you're coming from.
    I'm not coming from anywhere.

    I don't have a strong enough opinion on guns to care, frankly. Jesus is my savior and his word is my sword. I need not fear no evil or the boogeyman breaking glass in the downstairs of my home.


    Sent from a phone using an app

  15. #415
    JetsInsider.com Legend
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Posts
    26,210
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by PlumberKhan View Post
    I'm not coming from anywhere.

    I don't have a strong enough opinion on guns to care, frankly. Jesus is my savior and his word is my sword. I need not fear no evil or the boogeyman breaking glass in the downstairs of my home.


    Sent from a phone using an app
    It's not just about defense of your home.

    They tell you that you can't bring prayer in schools. Tell you that you not to pray in public? What happens if that begins?

    America is becoming not so free.

  16. #416
    Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP
    JetsInsider.com Legend

    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    The depths of Despair.
    Posts
    39,886
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by PlumberKhan View Post
    I'm not coming from anywhere.

    I don't have a strong enough opinion on guns to care, frankly.
    Isnt your opinion entirely predicated on the opinion of whomever you happen to be engaging at the moment?

    I mean, its fun and all, riling up the peoples.

    -

  17. #417
    Hall Of Fame
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Rochester, NY
    Posts
    13,794
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by 32green View Post
    Isnt your opinion entirely predicated on the opinion of whomever you happen to be engaging at the moment?

    I mean, its fun and all, riling up the peoples.

    -
    lol.

    PK... the RayRay of the politics board.

  18. #418
    JetsInsider.com Legend
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    37,725
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by BushyTheBeaver View Post
    At some point you almost have to laugh. 20 little kids massacred by a lunatic with a gun and our only significant response as a nation will be record sales of fire arms.

    This country is too stupid for words sometimes.
    As opposed to those who think the only people who should have guns are the Government? We can trust them, right?

    Because History shows how well THAT idea works.

    Americans do not like the idea of having the rights and freedoms revoked by the state on the flimsiest of reasons, and with respect, the mass murder of 20 little kids by ONE crazy chuckle**** with a host of other issues and factors, is not cause to revoke in part or in full, the rights of the 2nd Amendment for tens of millions of law abiding people.

    If it were, the same folks demanding gun control today would have wholesale support for Voter ID laws. Of course, they don't....

    I'm well aware some folks are desperate to give all their rights to the glorious State, who can then dole those rights back out as it sees fit "fairly" to those who "deserve" them under the tenants of "social Justice", etc, etc, etc. But you're going to have to live with the fact that many think THAT is a far greater danger than the guns in the first place.

    A disarmed populace is a powerless populace.

  19. #419
    JetsInsider.com Legend
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Posts
    49,999
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by 32green View Post
    Isnt your opinion entirely predicated on the opinion of whomever you happen to be engaging at the moment?

    -
    I hate people like that.

  20. #420
    Hall Of Fame
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    Van down by the river
    Posts
    22,451
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by 32green View Post
    Isnt your opinion entirely predicated on the opinion of whomever you happen to be engaging at the moment?
    Indeed. I'm like a really poor Mitt Romney.

Tags for this Thread

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Follow Us