Enjoy an Ads-Free Jets Insider - Become a Jets Insider VIP!
Page 23 of 41 FirstFirst ... 13212223242533 ... LastLast
Results 441 to 460 of 820

Thread: Revisiting Gun Laws in the U.S.

  1. #441
    Hall Of Fame
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    Van down by the river
    Posts
    21,932
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Axil View Post
    If you trust an individual to feed, and clothe themselves. Make decisions for themselves, and live their life freely in society, you ought to also trust them to make decisions regarding their own defense.

    So essentially. Keep guns out of the mental institutions, and call it a day.
    Guns are already kept out of mental institutions.

  2. #442
    Hall Of Fame
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Posts
    24,964
    Post Thanks / Like
    Diane Feinstein has a permit to carry her firearm.

    So does Chuck Schumer.

  3. #443
    Jets Insider VIP
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    NC
    Posts
    18,226
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by John_0515 View Post
    Diane Feinstein has a permit to carry her firearm.

    So does Chuck Schumer.
    Many congress people do. In their defense, all the anti gun talk is really about "reasonableness".

    I havent heard any REAL threat to ban guns in total, but to limit who can buy a bushmaster etc...

  4. #444
    All League
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Posts
    3,565
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by John_0515 View Post
    Diane Feinstein has a permit to carry her firearm.

    So does Chuck Schumer.
    FOOL!!! Vat don't you understand???? Ze Oligarchy is is important you members of ze proletariat ehh, not so much. Pig Rosie O'Donnell armed security for her JR. Commies in training, No weapons for you Dumkof!!!!!

  5. #445
    Hall Of Fame
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    Van down by the river
    Posts
    21,932
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by southparkcpa View Post
    Many congress people do. In their defense, all the anti gun talk is really about "reasonableness".

    I havent heard any REAL threat to ban guns in total, but to limit who can buy a bushmaster etc...
    Agreed.




    Sent from a phone using an app

  6. #446
    Rookie
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Posts
    966
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by PlumberKhan View Post
    Guns are already kept out of mental institutions.
    I understand that. My point was that ought to be sufficient legislation in regards to mental health and firearms

  7. #447
    Hall Of Fame
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    Van down by the river
    Posts
    21,932
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Axil View Post
    I understand that. My point was that ought to be sufficient legislation in regards to mental health and firearms
    I agree.

    People who want to buy guns because they are afraid that the president is going to take them from them and decide to keep them in their home unlocked with a kid they warned 16 year old babysitters not to "turn their back on" should not be allowed to own guns because they are mentally unstable.

    The gangbanger on the corner who has a piece to protect his stash is more stable.


    Sent from a phone using an app

  8. #448
    All League
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    Wildcat Country
    Posts
    4,753
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by PlumberKhan View Post
    The gangbanger on the corner who has a piece to protect his stash is more stable.
    Good point. He at least is a businessman. Conversely how many people on this board have signature or location lines that reads something like "Kill them all." You can just feel their rage at the world screaming through the keyboard. A few years from now if/when that guy runs amuck in a shopping mall and you get asked "Did he ever show any signs of anti-social behavior?" how will you characterize his "Shoot Em all" sig. I thought he was just kidding around"?
    Last edited by BushyTheBeaver; 12-24-2012 at 11:35 AM.

  9. #449
    All League
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Posts
    4,733
    Post Thanks / Like
    I have no guns nor do I wish to have one. But lets face the mother of this child had these weapons in her house and even took to to a shooting range.
    She confided in one of the teachers the day before she was afraid for life. But still did nothing. A crazy ass kid and a nitwit mother what a combination.

  10. #450
    Jets Insider VIP
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Posts
    13,179
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Axil View Post
    If you trust an individual to feed, and clothe themselves. Make decisions for themselves, and live their life freely in society, you ought to also trust them to make decisions regarding their own defense.

    So essentially. Keep guns out of the mental institutions, and call it a day.
    What planet are you living on? This is a country of laws for a reason. Live their life freely is not without limits on that freedom when it comes to that freedoms impact on the rest of society.

  11. #451
    All Pro
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Posts
    5,423
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Warfish View Post
    As opposed to those who think the only people who should have guns are the Government? We can trust them, right?

    Because History shows how well THAT idea works.

    Americans do not like the idea of having the rights and freedoms revoked by the state on the flimsiest of reasons, and with respect, the mass murder of 20 little kids by ONE crazy chuckle**** with a host of other issues and factors, is not cause to revoke in part or in full, the rights of the 2nd Amendment for tens of millions of law abiding people.

    If it were, the same folks demanding gun control today would have wholesale support for Voter ID laws. Of course, they don't....

    I'm well aware some folks are desperate to give all their rights to the glorious State, who can then dole those rights back out as it sees fit "fairly" to those who "deserve" them under the tenants of "social Justice", etc, etc, etc. But you're going to have to live with the fact that many think THAT is a far greater danger than the guns in the first place.

    A disarmed populace is a powerless populace.
    1. I love the notion that we need to gather as many weapons as possible to defend ourselves against the government....as if that will make a difference against the most technologically advanced military in the history of the world. Its a nice fairy tale though and it gives the illusion of power. Most intelligent people that live in a democracy understand that real political change can only come from within the system.

    2. The so-called plan announced by the NRA was an embarrassment. For a special interest group that promotes freedom from the control of the government to offer, as a solution, handing over billions of tax dollars to government workers to patrol schools is the height of hypocrisy. And what about patrolling the movie theaters, malls and colleges? How much more tax money will be needed to patrol those areas across the country? More guns is not the answer.

    3. Keep the right to bear arms as described in the second amendment. But close the loopholes and make the background checks legitimate-and include mental background with it. The rights of the gun owners are not more important then the rights of everyone else.
    Last edited by intelligentjetsfan; 12-26-2012 at 07:42 AM.

  12. #452
    All League
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Posts
    2,847
    Post Thanks / Like
    City of New York public schools already have 350 armed NYPD in elementary and secondary schools. Lots of public schools across the country have similar programs.

    In 2000 former President Bill Clinton started the "COPS In School" program:

    http://proteinwisdom.com/?p=46147

    President proposes $60 million to put COPS in schools That would be President Bill Clinton in 2000 on the one-year Columbine anniversary.

    Clinton also unveiled the $60-million fifth round of funding for COPS in School, a Justice Department program that helps pay the costs of placing police officers in schools to help make them safer for students and teachers. The money will be used to provide 452 officers in schools in more than 220 communities.

    Already, it has placed 2,200 officers in more than 1,000 communities across our nation, where they are heightening school safety as well as coaching sports and acting as mentors and mediators for kids in need, Clinton said.

  13. #453
    Rookie
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Posts
    966
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Winstonbiggs View Post
    What planet are you living on? This is a country of laws for a reason. Live their life freely is not without limits on that freedom when it comes to that freedoms impact on the rest of society.
    You're right, we do have laws for a reason. The constitution is the highest law in the land. Once you start performing "mental background checks". You open the door for the government to revoke all of your rights based on a subjective medical diagnosis. Hell, some people would argue that the belief in God is a mental illness. So again, i would continue to keep guns away from people who have been removed from society because of mental illness. But if you are sane enough to be allowed to wander around within an armed nation. You are sane enough to be armed yourself.

  14. #454
    Rookie
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Posts
    910
    Post Thanks / Like
    This thread is the liberal "War on Drugs" argument in reverse!!

    The argument on drugs is people are going to get drugs no matter what so why bother making them illegal and making a black market...

    The same applies to gun laws.. There already ARE strict gun laws in place.. Look what happened to Plaxico..


    If a psycho (especially a suicidal psycho) has the resources and wants to get a gun.. HE IS GOING TO GET ONE!! and no law is going to stop him/her..

    Lets say we outlaw guns. completely.. Nobody can own them...

    What happens the first time a criminal breaks into a home and kills a family which formerly had a gun to protect themselves???

    Personally I hate guns.. I don't own one.. I never will own one.. I am afraid of them.. But I just know the reality..

  15. #455
    Jets Insider VIP
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Posts
    13,179
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Axil View Post
    You're right, we do have laws for a reason. The constitution is the highest law in the land. Once you start performing "mental background checks". You open the door for the government to revoke all of your rights based on a subjective medical diagnosis. Hell, some people would argue that the belief in God is a mental illness. So again, i would continue to keep guns away from people who have been removed from society because of mental illness. But if you are sane enough to be allowed to wander around within an armed nation. You are sane enough to be armed yourself.
    There is no constitutional right to an assualt weapon, semi-automatice or automatic weapons or the right to large clips and bullets intended to do particular types of damage. There is no specific right to own any specific type of weapon. We certainly can regulate weapons and prevent those who are unfit to use them having them if we choose to.

  16. #456
    JetsInsider.com Legend
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    36,678
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by intelligentjetsfan View Post
    1. I love the notion that we need to gather as many weapons as possible to defend ourselves against the government....as if that will make a difference against the most technologically advanced military in the history of the world.
    Afghanistan says hi. They've effectively defeated both the USSR and US with just that, some difficult terrain, and the perserverence of deeply held beliefs.

    Its a nice fairy tale though and it gives the illusion of power.
    A nice fairy tale is the the Government, any Government, can be trusted to not abuse it's power and authority without some fear/respect of the people they rule.

    A disarmed disinterested populace is the speediest route to tyrany and worse. And we're already a disinterested people, in the majority.

    Most intelligent people that live in a democracy understand that real political change can only come from within the system.
    So you're willing to denounce as unintelligent every "protester" in the United Stated who has resorted to violence, or any form of protest outside the voting system then?

    3. Keep the right to bear arms as described in the second amendment.
    You're so kind, to allow us to keep our rights. And you wonder why some of us worry about abuse of power....the idea that you have any right to revoke the rights of the rest of us is exibit A. why the Government, staffed with people like yourself, cannot be trusted to respect and protect the rights of us all.

    But........make the background checks legitimate-and include mental background with it. The rights of the gun owners are not more important then the rights of everyone else.
    How would you define the "mental background check"? Would any depression, for example, be a disqualifier (if so, I'd have my rights revoked for being sad after my father died....when I was diagnosed with depression at one point)?

    The rights of the people to own guns is as important as any other right we possess. The right of the gun owner have nothing to do with your rights being removed, that only occurs whan an INDIVIDUAL chooses to break the Law (often dozens of laws) and infringes upon your rights. The individual does that, not "gun owners" as a group.

    Again, wholesale denouncement of an entire class of people in order to scapegoat them for political gain and added power is exibit B as to why the Government and people like yourself who staff it cannot be trusted to respect or protect the rights of us all.

    And I'm curious teach, are you willing to put in place the same limits and checks for other rights as you are for gun ownership? Say, speech and voting? No freedom of speech or to vote without background checks, mental health checks, and more? LIke ID checks for voting (far far less restrictive that any gun law is)?

    If not, you clearly do not view the 2nd amendment as a right at all, in which case your viewpoint is intrinsicly invalid. If you want to remove the right to own guns, there is a clear pathway to that, amend the Constitution via the democratic process to do so.

    Any other route is an infringement on our rights, a loss of freedom for the appearance of added safety (and appearence only).

  17. #457
    All Pro
    Annoying Chowd

    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Posts
    6,219
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by PlumberKhan View Post
    I agree.

    People who want to buy guns because they are afraid that the president is going to take them from them and decide to keep them in their home unlocked with a kid they warned 16 year old babysitters not to "turn their back on" should not be allowed to own guns because they are mentally unstable.

    The gangbanger on the corner who has a piece to protect his stash is more stable.


    Sent from a phone using an app
    She bought guns for protection, not because she was afraid Oblamethrower would take them away from Americans.

    As usual, you're full of sh*t and talking out of your ass....

    Yes I know... she bought them for protection and one was used against her so there's no need of you spewing your usual sh*t about that either...

  18. #458
    All Pro
    Annoying Chowd

    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Posts
    6,219
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by intelligentjetsfan View Post
    1. I love the notion that we need to gather as many weapons as possible to defend ourselves against the government....as if that will make a difference against the most technologically advanced military in the history of the world.
    I'd take a 200 million man army over the most technologically advanced military any day...

    A little history lesson for the history teacher:

    1911 Turkey disarmed its citizens, and between 1915 1917 they murdered 1.5 million Armenians.

    1929 Russia disarmed its citizens, and between 1929 1953 they murdered 20 million Russians.

    1935 China disarmed its citizens, and between 1948 1952 they murdered 20 million Chinese.

    1938 Germany disarmed its citizens, and between 1939 1945 they murdered 16 million Jews.

    1956 Cambodia disarmed its citizens, and between 1975 1977 they murdered 1 million Educated people.

    1964 Guatamala disarmed its citizens, and between 1964 1981 they murdered 100,000 Mayan Indians.

    1970 Uganda disarmed its citizens, and between 1971 1979 they murdered 300,000 Christians.

  19. #459
    All Pro
    Annoying Chowd

    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Posts
    6,219
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Winstonbiggs View Post
    There is no constitutional right to an assualt weapon, semi-automatice or automatic weapons or the right to large clips and bullets intended to do particular types of damage. There is no specific right to own any specific type of weapon. We certainly can regulate weapons and prevent those who are unfit to use them having them if we choose to.
    How many shots did Lee Harvey Oswald get off in a couple of seconds with a bolt action rifle?

  20. #460
    All League
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Posts
    4,733
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by DeanPatsFan View Post
    I'd take a 200 million man army over the most technologically advanced military any day...

    A little history lesson for the history teacher:

    1911 Turkey disarmed its citizens, and between 1915 1917 they murdered 1.5 million Armenians.

    1929 Russia disarmed its citizens, and between 1929 1953 they murdered 20 million Russians.

    1935 China disarmed its citizens, and between 1948 1952 they murdered 20 million Chinese.

    1938 Germany disarmed its citizens, and between 1939 1945 they murdered 16 million Jews.

    1956 Cambodia disarmed its citizens, and between 1975 1977 they murdered 1 million Educated people.

    1964 Guatamala disarmed its citizens, and between 1964 1981 they murdered 100,000 Mayan Indians.

    1970 Uganda disarmed its citizens, and between 1971 1979 they murdered 300,000 Christians.
    Wow mankind has come along was since the caves.

Tags for this Thread

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Follow Us