Page 3 of 41 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast
Results 41 to 60 of 820

Thread: Revisiting Gun Laws in the U.S.

  1. #41
    All League
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Brooklyn
    Posts
    3,092
    Quote Originally Posted by palmetto defender View Post
    Glad you're coming along. Three of the four weapons this nut job had were "single shot" weapons. And the guy was "clean". Nuts but clean.

    The Gabby Gifford nut also used a single shooter as did the Beltway snipers. And the VA Tech killer. And Charles Whitman and the Fort Hood Guy. And most of these cases.
    I agree no automatic or high caliber weapons. Or armor piercing ammo.
    Nobody with a criminal record shoud be allowed to buy ANY gun. But it is a state by state matter. I can go to any of a dozen gun stores and buy whatever right now. NY is different as is NJ.
    Thank you for replying in a sane and respectful manner. I enjoy having a discussion with people like you, even if we have differing opinions.

    Well, we have to change our background check system to ensure that in the future, these psychos like the killer yesterday, and others you mentioned are deemed "NOT clean" or allowed to purchase/own a gun. I hope we can all agree on that. I agree with your whole last paragraph, except with the state by state matter. I think the feds have to step in and regulate more.

  2. #42
    Hall Of Fame
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Rochester, NY
    Posts
    13,809
    yeah. the feds should regulate guns more. They did such a wonderful job with the weapons they sold to Mexican drug cartels that have killed God-only-knows how many. Those are the ****ing idiots to put in charge. They'll make us all safe and happy. And I won't have to be scared and fwightened any more.

    what tripe.

  3. #43
    Quote Originally Posted by MCBNY View Post
    Exactly. Great post.
    Shocking. An Aussie and a Liberal share the same viewpoint and feel they can use white out on the constitution because they don't like what it says...

  4. #44
    Hall Of Fame
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    Van down by the river
    Posts
    22,744
    Who cares about gun laws?

    Dude walked into a theater with legally bought weapons.

    People who get hard over weapons are the problem.

  5. #45
    Quote Originally Posted by MCBNY View Post
    Please look at the FACTS.

    FACT: European countries regulate guns & crack down much harder on illegal guns.

    FACT: European countries have way fewer gun related deaths, thus making them safer.

    Simple, right?

    There is no reason America can't change its policies to more strictly enforce gun ownership. None! All I want is a safer country.
    You do realize correlation and causation are different, yes?

    Put another way:

    Fact: There are more 911 calls in locations where gunshots occur frequently.

    Fact: Areas that rarely call for police intervention, don't often suffer violent crime, thus making them safer.

    Must be those damn cops causing all the crime, eh?

  6. #46
    Owning a firearm is as American as apple pie!!!!!

  7. #47
    Veteran
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    Pennsylvania
    Posts
    1,710
    It's too bad nobody in the audience had a gun, they might have saved some lives.

  8. #48
    All League
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Brooklyn
    Posts
    3,092
    Quote Originally Posted by PlumberKhan View Post
    Who cares about gun laws?

    Dude walked into a theater with legally bought weapons.

    People who get hard over weapons are the problem.
    Hello!!! Look what you just wrote: "Who cares about gun laws." And then in your next line you said his weapons were LEGALLY BOUGHT.

    Isn't that a problem? That this f*cking nut was able to legally get a gun so easily? Time to CHANGE THE LAWS. So that these psychopaths CAN'T get guns legally.

  9. #49
    Quote Originally Posted by freestater View Post
    what's a "high caliber weapon"?
    .50 caliber and up. Essentially a military weapon with modest armor piercing capability and anti aircraft use as well.
    OK in Pennsylvania as I understand.

    I am also negative on anything which has a potential "anti tank" capabilty as well as explosive rounds.

  10. #50
    Quote Originally Posted by MCBNY View Post
    I think now is a good time to rekindle the debate on guns and regulation of guns in the U.S. We are going to have strong, passionate, differing opinions so please try to keep it civil, although it probably wonít happen.

    I stand on the far end of one side in believing that guns should be banned entirely. I see no positives. They are way too easily accessible, first of all. I think everyone should be able to agree on that. Why do repeated massacres like Virginia Tech, Columbine, last nightís keep happening? Because these psychopaths can just waltz into a gun shop and buy them. The system and background checks are so loosely enforced, if they are even enforced at all. Itís an absolute joke.

    Hereís a comment I read online from someone:

    ****
    ďI live in Madrid now. No handguns.

    Last week, both my iPad and my iPhone were stolen in the subway.

    In response to the loss of my property (about which I was violently angry), a friend in the States wrote, "Don't you wish you'd had had a gun so you could've shot them?", to which I replied, "As angry as I am, stuff is just stuff, and nothing is worth a human life."

    I don't think most Americans realize what it's like to live in a culture in which there is zero fear of gun violence, as opposed to one in which people are legally armed and able to act immediately on their reptilian instincts with deadly force.

    It's just crazy. Completely crazy.Ē
    ****

    I could not agree more with him. Itís time for America to change. I know people want to cringe with the slightest mention at becoming more like Europe, but thereís no denying they have better policies with regard to gun control. Thatís my opinion at least. Actually, itís more of a fact, because gun violence is way lower over there compared to here. Isnít that the goal? Safer country, with less of a threat of violence? I think itís pretty straightforward. Get rid of guns = violence goes down. PROVEN.
    LMAO

  11. #51
    Quote Originally Posted by freestater View Post
    Nothing surprising from a guy who has a murdering communist in his avatar.
    WTF? Clearly you've had a humour bypass because its a joke on people who laud characters like Che Guevara, of which I am not one.

  12. #52
    Quote Originally Posted by AlwaysGreenAlwaysWhite View Post
    Shocking. An Aussie and a Liberal share the same viewpoint and feel they can use white out on the constitution because they don't like what it says...
    Our last gun massacre out here happened about 15 years ago: 35 people were killed and many more were injured. A girl I went to school with was there that day, so I've thought pretty long and hard about this, especially given our response as a nation to that tragedy, and the fact my opinion-then-formed is reawoken every time there is another gun tragedy in the USA (which seems to happen every year).

    The national government here stepped in and toughened gun laws. That was our response. There has been gun-related crime since, but there hasn't been a massacre of that proportion since. Deaths and injury due to guns has dropped significantly.

    If you want to use a gun in this country you had better had a bloody good reason for it. You can use it for sport (a member of a gun club for example), if you are a farmer, or if you are a recreational shooter for example. But those guns used for those purposes are pretty strictly controlled. I know when I go out in this country I might get King-hit from behind (as happened to me once - I'm still alive), but I won't have to face up to some idiot blowing my brains out and that of 15 other people because he has a grudge against society.

    As far as I'm concerned our country is a lot freer than what yours is. I'm not fearful for my life when I step outside - can you say the same in your country?

  13. #53
    Quote Originally Posted by Black Death View Post
    Our last gun massacre out here happened about 15 years ago: 35 people were killed and many more were injured. A girl I went to school with was there that day, so I've thought pretty long and hard about this, especially given our response as a nation to that tragedy, and the fact my opinion-then-formed is reawoken every time there is another gun tragedy in the USA (which seems to happen every year).

    The national government here stepped in and toughened gun laws. That was our response. There has been gun-related crime since, but there hasn't been a massacre of that proportion since. Deaths and injury due to guns has dropped significantly.

    If you want to use a gun in this country you had better had a bloody good reason for it. You can use it for sport (a member of a gun club for example), if you are a farmer, or if you are a recreational shooter for example. But those guns used for those purposes are pretty strictly controlled. I know when I go out in this country I might get King-hit from behind (as happened to me once - I'm still alive), but I won't have to face up to some idiot blowing my brains out and that of 15 other people because he has a grudge against society.

    As far as I'm concerned our country is a lot freer than what yours is. I'm not fearful for my life when I step outside - can you say the same in your country?
    The United States is different in that we have something called "states right". Each state decides what most of the laws will be that govern people.
    hence the name UNITED STATES.
    Laws are based on what residents of particular area want. If you do not like the laws you can move to a state where you do like them.
    As far as freedom, we do not have a Monarch as Australia still does.
    I do not fear for my life at any time. But if YOU do feel free to stay where you are. I'm sure we will not suffer any loss.

  14. #54
    Quote Originally Posted by palmetto defender View Post
    The United States is different in that we have something called "states right". Each state decides what most of the laws will be that govern people.
    hence the name UNITED STATES.
    Laws are based on what residents of particular area want. If you do not like the laws you can move to a state where you do like them.
    As far as freedom, we do not have a Monarch as Australia still does.
    I do not fear for my life at any time. But if YOU do feel free to stay where you are. I'm sure we will not suffer any loss.
    Our "Monarch" is a bit like segments of your constitution - an entity that has no link modern Australian life - unfortunately people of your parallel in my country see to stick with tradition and keep the Monarch as a in-name-only shadow. When we were Federated it was also to federate different states - and in fact our Senate was basically formed to enshrine state rights - fortunately the states decided (for the good of the people that lived in them) that letting everyone have access to guns was a bad thing, and I guess that's why they let the Federal government to bring in laws that have dropped the rates of our gun crime to levels you will never see in your country in your lifetime. I figure with your murder rates and rates of gun-crime I feel a whole lot less for my life when I step out of doors than what you do when you step out of yours.

  15. #55
    All Pro
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Un-Pleasantville
    Posts
    6,506
    Quote Originally Posted by Black Death View Post
    WTF? Clearly you've had a humour bypass because its a joke on people who laud characters like Che Guevara, of which I am not one.
    Sure, let's go w/ that. There's always Holmes, Hitler, Stalin, Mao etc. to fall back on "humourously" when you get tired of that avatar.

  16. #56
    Quote Originally Posted by Jungle Shift Jet View Post
    Sure, let's go w/ that. There's always Holmes, Hitler, Stalin, Mao etc. to fall back on "humourously" when you get tired of that avatar.
    ...and Ronald Reagan while we're at it.

  17. #57
    All Pro
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Un-Pleasantville
    Posts
    6,506
    Quote Originally Posted by Black Death View Post
    ...and Ronald Reagan while we're at it.
    Yes, I remember the killlng fields and abject misery of the Reagan years like it was yesterday.

    What's with all the lib pukes coming out of the woodwork these days like some sort of virtual B. Hussein Praetorian Guard?

    more like the Occufilth if you ask me

  18. #58
    Quote Originally Posted by Jungle Shift Jet View Post
    Yes, I remember the killlng fields and abject misery of the Reagan years like it was yesterday.

    What's with all the lib pukes coming out of the woodwork these days like some sort of virtual B. Hussein Praetorian Guard?

    more like the Occufilth if you ask me
    Yeah, well I decided to skew my post just this one time in the same way you constantly skew yours, as in every time you post. And you still missed the explanation I have for my avatar earlier in this thread and the fact I don't hold Che Guevara to be out as any sort of hero, but then that's you all over, making up straw men and windmills to run against - saying posters on this site hold views that they don't. As far as I'm concerned you are the most singularly objectionable poster on this site, what with your constant personal attacks and conspiratorial world-view where "liberals" are taking over the world etc. So yeah, when replying to you I will tend to take liberties I wouldn't take with anyone else that posts here.

    And by the way, calling someone a liberal where I am means the exact opposite to what you think it to be over there. Liberals where I am are your Republicans, and no doubt you will reply about how you don't care about that or whatever just proving what an intellectual pygmy you are and always have been, unopen to any other perspectives apart from your insular own.

    Initially I was of the view you had some sort of mental illness, but now I just think you are an idiot - and I doubt you will find too many posters here who think the opposite.

  19. #59
    All Pro
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Un-Pleasantville
    Posts
    6,506
    Quote Originally Posted by Black Death View Post
    Yeah, well I decided to skew my post just this one time in the same way you constantly skew yours, as in every time you post. And you still missed the explanation I have for my avatar earlier in this thread and the fact I don't hold Che Guevara to be out as any sort of hero, but then that's you all over, making up straw men and windmills to run against - saying posters on this site hold views that they don't. As far as I'm concerned you are the most singularly objectionable poster on this site, what with your constant personal attacks and conspiratorial world-view where "liberals" are taking over the world etc. So yeah, when replying to you I will tend to take liberties I wouldn't take with anyone else that posts here.

    And by the way, calling someone a liberal where I am means the exact opposite to what you think it to be over there. Liberals where I am are your Republicans, and no doubt you will reply about how you don't care about that or whatever just proving what an intellectual pygmy you are and always have been, unopen to any other perspectives apart from your insular own.

    Initially I was of the view you had some sort of mental illness, but now I just think you are an idiot - and I doubt you will find too many posters here who think the opposite.

    My posts are intended for Americans, even the misguided, foolish libs (are there any other kinds?) among them. Not some America-hating skip who knows less than nothing about us, our
    ountry, my history, its history and what makes/made it great, and who thinks the execrable Che is a suitable avatar under any circumstance.

    It's not like I have a special decoder ring that divines what people here say or think. No imaginary, invented strawmen, only lib dopes front and center with the same (D)generate talking points.

    Furthermore, I could not possibly care less what you think of me, my views, what "Liberal" means in your Socialist backwater run by a Commie b!tch (if you don't understand our lingo, just flip on Google Translate to "normal" setting...) or how "unpopular" my beliefs may be among the unwashed and ignorant here or wherever the highway underpasses they may dwell under are...Argumentum ad populum is the catchphrase of jealous, clueless mobs everywhere...

    As for your "contributions" here, the intellectual energy gneerated by the sum of your inconsequential posts couldn't power a pissant's go-kart 2 laps around the inner loop of a Cheerio..I've forgotten more than you'll ever know. Your incoherent posts re: Reagan likening him to the bloodiest tyrants of all time do show a particularly strong lack of awareness and un-intelligence which is uncommon even in these parts...however as we do have a few gross lib ignoramuses around - 144x more ignorant than regular ignoramuses - we don't really need to offshore/import any more.

    Have you tried throwing in your lot with more local like-minded, anti-American Indonesian or Malaysian Sharia blogs where you could find universal agreement with your views?
    Last edited by Jungle Shift Jet; 07-22-2012 at 05:55 PM.

  20. #60
    All League
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Portland Oregon
    Posts
    4,895
    Gun rights are no more a state issue then Freedom of religion is.

Tags for this Thread

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Follow Us