Page 7 of 41 FirstFirst ... 5678917 ... LastLast

Thread: Revisiting Gun Laws in the U.S.

be honest. if this freak was only armed with a HANDGUN......a 6 shot REVOLVER......

he would have been able to kill just as many people. maybe 4 or 5 less....MAYBE ..........but nothing tragic would have been prevented. get real

the problem is society and nutjobs

Quote Originally Posted by Winstonbiggs View Post
    When you say the guy was clean only if you ignore the fact that he bought 4 guns including an assualt weapon along with tons of ammo in a very short time. That's only clean in a legal sense under the current rules.

You can protect your home with a shotgun maybe 2. You don't need semi-automatic weapons, assault weapons and large clips of ammo.
    We have sporting goods stores that look like Armories in this country.
    more foolish ignorance....

a shotgun is 100 times more dangerous and powerful than anything else you mentioned. One shotgun blast will take out 4 if done right. you could have easily killed 30 people today in the same situation. stop being ignorant

Quote Originally Posted by Warfish View Post
    Even a bagful of old Colt single-action revolvers can be used to kill multiple people, you just need to bring more than one with you. An average guy could probably carry 4 loaded easily, and a number fo speed-loader reloads. Say 30-40 total bullets, without a problem. Thats still 30-40 possible kills, with the most basic and old school handguns you can get.

So is the answer no Guns that fire more than one shot?

exactly. you know the facts. everyone is just being silly and emotional

In my school we drill for these types of emergencies every month. The reality is that we can never truly be prepared if this type of tragedy occurs. With that said, the type of gun that is used could make the difference between a few tragic deaths or a classroom full of slaughtered victims. If there is even a 1% chance that a gunman could be apprehended before more blood is spilled isn't it worth it?
    Last edited by intelligentjetsfan; 12-14-2012 at 11:56 PM.

Hall Of Fame
    Charter JI Member

Quote Originally Posted by Soberphobia View Post
    Yet in other countries where the same changes have taken place in regards to those with "mental illness", the number of these types of events is miniscule compared to the USA.

Your solution is to wind the clock back and lock up all the crazies? What about all the issues to do with these instititions that led to them being disbanded in the first place?
    That was more a cost thing. Insurance companies don't like paying for that type of long term care.

All League
    Quote Originally Posted by dickkotite View Post
    wtf are you hammerheads talking about regarding "auto" weapons?

you know what...there is a HUGE misconception about this subject. heres the deal:

when you hear the term "automatic" or "assault rifles" , 99.999999% of these weapons are SEMI-automatics meaning you pull the trigger once per bullet. They are not "machine guns"

"fully automatic" is the correct term for what you see on TV where you hold the trigger down and the weapon keeps firing until its out. THESE weapons, are VERY rare. There are only a HANDFUL of states that allow these and it involves TONS of paperwork and fees and background checks.

so please get it right. in 99.99999999999% of the cases, "automatic" pistols and "assault rifles" ARE SEMI AUTOMATIC
    ================================================== ====

You must be 21 to purchase a machine gun in the US. The following states allow private ownership of machine guns if registered with ATF: AL, AK, AZ, AR, CO, CT, FL, GA, ID, IN, KY, LA, ME, MD, MA, MN, MS, MO, MT, NE, NV, NH, NJ, NM, NC, ND, OH, OK, OR, PA, SC, SD, TN, TX, UT, VT, WV, WI, WY. Some states have their own registration requirements, but most just say you have to have it registered with ATF.

Any machine gun that can be privately owned has to have been manufactured and registered prior to May, 1986.

wtf are you hammerheads talking about regarding "auto" weapons?

you know what...there is a HUGE misconception about this subject. heres the deal:

when you hear the term "automatic" or "assault rifles" , 99.999999% of these weapons are SEMI-automatics meaning you pull the trigger once per bullet. They are not "machine guns"

"fully automatic" is the correct term for what you see on TV where you hold the trigger down and the weapon keeps firing until its out. THESE weapons, are VERY rare. There are only a HANDFUL of states that allow these and it involves TONS of paperwork and fees and background checks.

so please get it right. in 99.99999999999% of the cases, "automatic" pistols and "assault rifles" ARE SEMI AUTOMATIC
    Yeah, the other difference between your average hunting rifle say a Remington 7400 30-06 and a Bushmaster AR-15 is that you can't take a Remington and strap up a couple of belts each with a dozen or so fully loaded 30 round banana clips like you're ready for a war. Likewise you can't accessorize a hunting rifle with a 100 round drum. The Remington 7400 and similar semi-auto hunting rifles also do not come in an automatic version that defines itself from the semi-automatic version by the design of single part that can modified by any reasonably intelligent person with a bench vice, a metal file and information that can be readily obtained off the internet.

Hopefully this day will be the one that draws the line in the sand with the idiot politicians who really should feel like they need to take a long shower by now after aligning themselves with the like of the NRA. These weapons, and you now exactly which ones I'm referring to should be outlawed on a federal level.
    Last edited by movethechains; 12-15-2012 at 01:49 AM.

All League
    22 kids stabbed in china, 0 dead

more foolish ignorance....

a shotgun is 100 times more dangerous and powerful than anything else you mentioned. One shotgun blast will take out 4 if done right. you could have easily killed 30 people today in the same situation. stop being ignorant
    I'm very ignorant of guns, I know enough to know I like most people don't have the temperment to own them and I'm not afraid for my life either walking down the streat or in my home unarmed. That said It's much less likely for someone to walk into a public place with a shotgun then a concealed weapon or a semi-automatic or automatic rifle.

It's the knowledgable gun nuts like yourself who have promoted the legal purchase with virtually no background checks of semi-automatic hand guns that are easily concealable and assault rifles that continually fall into the hands of the mentally deranged or those who simply don't have the temperment to carry or have access to deadly force who are slaugtering the innocent multiple times a year in this country.

The secondary market for guns are virtually unregulted and they easily move from state to state.

It's about time we called out those who feel the need to arm themselves to the gills and let these arms fall into the hands of criminals and the insane for what they are, freigtened pusseys to afraid to face their neighbors without deadly force available 24/7.

Jets Insider VIP
    Quote Originally Posted by MCBNY View Post
    So Europe has mass killings too. However, deaths by gunshots are much less common over there than they are in the States, and that's more indicative of our gun problem over here. The mass killings are aberrations - and make up a small percentage of deaths by gunshot, so that's a misleading list you gave.

I have a list of my own, more indicative of the dangerous gun culture here, illustrating how Europe has it much better than us. It's a list of countries by firearm-related death rate in a given recent year.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of...ted_death_rate

The United States is sandwiched in between the advanced, great nations of the Philippines and Mexico.

Other than Estonia, the U.S. has a significantly higher gunshot-death rate than every other European country on the list. This proves, like it or not, that Europe does a much better job at regulating firearms, making them harder to get for the average joe, etc. Our firearm death rate is more than 10x higher than that of Spain. The easier our country makes it to get a gun, the more gun-related deaths there will be. It's very, very simple, I think. More guns circulating = more deaths. Shutting down mom & pop gun shops that Joe Schmoe can walk into and buy a gun will decrease the amount of firearms in use. Putting more effort into cracking down harder on those who own illegal guns will also go a long way - something the government definitely is capable of.

Sticking with Spain, here is a brief rundown of their policy when it comes to citizen-owned firearms:

http://www.commongunsense.com/2011/0...-in-spain.html

I understand that guns would still be accessible in America if made illegal - just like they are for some people in Europe. Laws will always be broken to a degree and nothing will ever be perfect. But there's no reason to not move in that direction for the sake of making the U.S. safer. Things would IMMEDIATELY improve by making guns hard to get, like they do in Spain, and tons of other European countries.

And for the record, the Second Amendment is the only Amendment I don't support.
    If you sort by homicides and look at the numbers the US is much lower in the list. More than half of the "Total Firearm related Death rate" in that list attributed to the US is suicide.

Do we know that these guns were legal and registered to this nutjob? I know it is not possible to legally get a gun in NJ without a background check.

Here are the NJ gun laws simplified you can refer to all the sections that are bolded that state rarely issues that make me think that if he had an "assualt weapon" it wasn't legally his.:
    New Jersey

Main article: Gun laws in New Jersey
    Subject/Law Long guns Handguns Relevant statutes Notes State Permit to Purchase? Yes Yes Lifetime purchase card required. Different one for handguns.
    Firearm registration? No No* *Police record of transfers.
    Owner license required? No No Purchase card is for purchase only
    "Assault weapon" law? Yes Yes 15 round magazine limit. Assault weapons are allowed with license but are rarely issued unless you are a law enforcement officer or show specific need. LEOs are issued Assault weapon licenses for personal weapons as well.
    Carry permits issued? *Yes Yes New Jersey is a "may-issue state by law. Although it rarely issues carry permits to any applicants unless you are a law enforcement officer or show specific need.
    Open carry? No Yes Licensed open-carry allowed. Licenses rarely issued.
    State Preemption of local restrictions? Yes Yes

NFA weapons restricted? Yes Yes Almost all NFA weapons are restricted. Allowed with license but rarely granted unless you are a law enforcement officer or show specific need.
    Peaceable Journey laws? Yes Yes

Hall Of Fame
    Quote Originally Posted by freestater View Post
    anyways....

what all the caterwauling comes down to is this....

wanna get rid of all the guns? Come get 'em.

Good luck with that, c*nts.

Hall Of Fame
    Quote Originally Posted by Winstonbiggs View Post
    I'm very ignorant
    you could've stopped right there.

Quote Originally Posted by freestater View Post
    you could've stopped right there.
    Well played.

Quote Originally Posted by Trades View Post
    If you sort by homicides and look at the numbers the US is much lower in the list. More than half of the "Total Firearm related Death rate" in that list attributed to the US is suicide.

Do we know that these guns were legal and registered to this nutjob? I know it is not possible to legally get a gun in NJ without a background check.

Here are the NJ gun laws simplified you can refer to all the sections that are bolded that state rarely issues that make me think that if he had an "assualt weapon" it wasn't legally his.:
    Nonesense! NJ doesn't have a fence around it and a huge portion of the guns that are purchased in this country are straw purchase resales with no background check at all.

Hall Of Fame
    Charter JI Member

There needs to be a tighter check in place to purchase guns. If one is mentally unstable or lives with someone who is, they should not be allowed to buy guns or ammo.

What's wrong with making a psychological profile a requirement?

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Quote Originally Posted by jetman67 View Post
    There needs to be a tighter check in place to purchase guns. If one is mentally unstable or lives with someone who is, they should not be allowed to buy guns or ammo.

What's wrong with making a psychological profile a requirement?
    What other Constitutional rights can we take away for being "unstable"?

How about Speech? Or Religion, that'd be a good one.

I've suffered from Depression twice in my life. Should I be barred from my rights for that, you think?

The problem is there is no easy, simple solution to this issue. Even a full 100% ban will not stop this, as a man willing to blow away a room full of kids will be willing to get a gun illegally.

And I would meanintain that 30,000,000 legal and law abiding Americans cannot and should not lose their rights because 1 man did something horrible. The precedent that sets is not one I wish to see....

Hall Of Fame
    Guns.

The last refuge for the tiny balled.

Hall Of Fame
    Charter JI Member

Quote Originally Posted by Warfish View Post
    What other Constitutional rights can we take away for being "unstable"?

How about Speech? Or Religion, that'd be a good one.

I've suffered from Depression twice in my life. Should I be barred from my rights for that, you think?

The problem is there is no easy, simple solution to this issue. Even a full 100% ban will not stop this, as a man willing to blow away a room full of kids will be willing to get a gun illegally.

And I would meanintain that 30,000,000 legal and law abiding Americans cannot and should not lose their rights because 1 man did something horrible. The precedent that sets is not one I wish to see....
    Here is a example, some people require the use of medication to be a productive part of society and are violent without the meds. Those people should not be allowed to own guns.

I'm all for responsible gun ownership, but those who are mentally unstable need to be prevented from gun ownership.

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Quote Originally Posted by PlumberKhan View Post
    Guns.

The last refuge for the tiny balled.
    I'm worried about you brofist. Your level of anger and loathing and wargarbl of late has been....concerning, to say the least. I hope you and yours are ok.

Suffice to say, gun ownership and testicle size have nothing do with each other. 30,000,000 legal, responsible and absolutely law abiding gun owners shouldn't be vilified because of the actions of one distrubed man our of 350,000,000 Americans.

I've already stareted hearing (from the other side) how gaming and Hollywood are to blame as well, an equally silly claim.

As I said above, there is no easy, simple answer to humanities penchant for violence and outburst.

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Quote Originally Posted by jetman67 View Post
    Here is a example, some people require the use of medication to be a productive part of society and are violent without the meds. Those people should not be allowed to own guns.

I'm all for responsible gun ownership, but those who are mentally unstable need to be prevented from gun ownership.
    So can we revoke those "needs medicine to not be violent" peoples speech rights and religious rights and legal representation rights too?

Just curious, it's important to be specific, and when discussing the revoking of rights, we should be very VERY clear about it.

I'll be honest, I'd prefer to seethe second Amendment amended/removed. And a new Amendment written to more accurately, clearly and intelligently provide gun ownership rights, while providing more clear-cut ways to limit and regulate such ownership and what kinds of guns can be owned.

I'm happy to find a middle ground solution, a compromise, but only if it's done right. Doing it right is not yet more gun laws that won't work and are ignored, it's going to the core of the issue and fixing that first, then re-writing the laws from there.