Page 40 of 41 FirstFirst ... 3038394041 LastLast

Thread: Revisiting Gun Laws in the U.S.

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by chiefst2000 View Post
    If I didn't have young children I would not necessarily feel the need to lock a weapon in a safe. I use a fingerprint activated safe for quick access.
    Yes..I have a fingerprint safe too. Biggest fear is if your house is robbed..they'll just RIP the safe from the floor.

Mine is deadbolted to the beam but with a lever, they'll take the whole safe with them and open it off site.

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP
    Charter JI Member

Post Thanks / Like
    By the way your guffawing at the possibility of someone being awoken at night and forced to defend themself from a breakin is odd considering that exact scenario happens thousands of times every year.
    Yep. From today's news -- too bad for this guy that he didn't have a gun.

http://www.miamiherald.com/2013/02/1...-invasion.html

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    The Dr. In Conn was asleep and tied up, sadly a gun would not of made a difference.

If an intruder doesn't run from the house when they hear the clack clack of a shotgun being loaded or they head towards the stairs and see an armed lunatic pointing a shotgun at them, and they choose not to run, then they probably deserve what comes next. My worst nightmare is having to actually use a weapon and as I said earlier I sincerely pray that I will go through my lifetime never having to use it.

As to your question on the robbery, I would grab the rifle, then stand at the top of the stairs and yell out "I am armed so you better get out!". An intruder would have a hard time getting my tv's off of their wall mounts regardless. I have never been concerned or worried about someone breaking in to steal my stuff anyway. I worry about intruders breaking in with the intent of harming my family. I always think about what happened to that poor doctor in CT. If he had been armed he may still have his family today. As a man I truly believe that my primary responsibility in life is to provide for my family and keep them safe. I take those responsibilities seriously.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by cr726 View Post
    The Dr. In Conn was asleep and tied up, sadly a gun would not of made a difference.
    He should have had an alarm system as well but If a person doesn't wake up when someone smashes their door down well I'm not sure what to do at that point. Either way I'd rather give myself at least the chance to protect my family.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by shakin318 View Post

Need an account to see the article, please post

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by southparkcpa View Post
    Yes..I have a fingerprint safe too. Biggest fear is if your house is robbed..they'll just RIP the safe from the floor.

Mine is deadbolted to the beam but with a lever, they'll take the whole safe with them and open it off site.
    Not much you can do to stop that. I'm not worried about the house being robbed. Im insured for that. My concerns are always for the safety of my family.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Winstonbiggs View Post
    I have no doubt security is an issue. I live in a great area where homes are broken into. That's why I recommend you get a good alarm system that will call the police on a break in. I have both sensors on doors and windows along with motion. It works very well, I have unfortunately had experience. No guns were fired they left once the alarm went off.

I suspect an intruder with a gun who you confronted might well do something just as irrational as run, he might actually fire his weapon.

I don't know about your experience with security guards, but having them sit around kids with guns is the dumbest thing I have ever heard. Many of the high schools students today are very capable of disarming a security guard and taking his weapon and might just do it for fun. You have a lot of confidence in weapons. They are highly over rated as protection and highly under rated for their danger.
    I have a similar alarm with sensors on all the windows and entry points. That said it is possible that an intruder could cut a phone wire or disable your alarm. Depends on their level of sophistication. Im not sure how any of this will help you in a crisis situation such as a major terrorist attack or weather event that leaves a large portion of the country without power for an extended period of time. You never know what the future holds and I am of the opinion that it is the responsible thing and an obligation of any parent to be prepared for whatever may come.

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by shakin318 View Post

Oakdale boy killed by gunfire 'loved life, loved everybody'
    by Matt Sepic, Minnesota Public Radio
    February 13, 2013

OAKDALE, Minn. ó The Washington County Attorney expects to bring charges Wednesday against a man accused of shooting at traffic in Oakdale and killing a 9-year-old Devin Aryal, who was riding in his family's minivan when a bullet struck him in the head.
    Yup to bad these guys had guns.

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    I have a similar alarm with sensors on all the windows and entry points. That said it is possible that an intruder could cut a phone wire or disable your alarm. Depends on their level of sophistication. Im not sure how any of this will help you in a crisis situation such as a major terrorist attack or weather event that leaves a large portion of the country without power for an extended period of time. You never know what the future holds and I am of the opinion that it is the responsible thing and an obligation of any parent to be prepared for whatever may come.
    I'm not sure if you really think having a heavily armed citizenary when civil society dissapears is going to protect you? I suggest getting a generator.

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    So you're a prepper?

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Winstonbiggs View Post
    I'm not sure if you really think having a heavily armed citizenary when civil society dissapears is going to protect you? I suggest getting a generator.
    That is the main point behind the 2nd amendment. The citizens should not be "less armed" than their government. Like it or not...its in the constitution.

Clearly less appropriate in 2012 than 1783 but ....it is law.

I am not a supporter of assault rifles and the like but this is the constitution.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by detjetsfan View Post
    the Constitution says nothing about separation between church and state "Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion". Plain English.
    I'll bet English isn't your primary language Vincenzo, that text is about establishing an American National Religion like your beloved Islam not banning religion from public places.

The King of England was also the head of the C of E that is why that language is there.

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    A well regulated militia, no one has a problem with that right?

That is the main point behind the 2nd amendment. The citizens should not be "less armed" than their government. Like it or not...its in the constitution.

I am not a supporter of assault rifles and the like but this is the constitution.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Jungle Shift Jet View Post
    I'll bet English isn't your primary language Vincenzo, that text is about establishing an American National Religion like your beloved Islam not banning religion from public places.

The King of England was also the head of the C of E that is why that language is there.
    This is exactly what I'm talking about. The Far-Right attempting to exclude fundamental principles established by our founding fathers. Thomas Jefferson invented the phrase "Separation Between Church and State". That lefty libtard moonbat who drives a car with good gas mileage and drinks 12 oz sodas.

The left is guilty of a similar thing with gun control completely ignoring the bill of rights or reinventing it to serve an ideological principle that guns are evil.

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by detjetsfan View Post
    This is exactly what I'm talking about. The Far-Right attempting to exclude fundamental principles established by our founding fathers. Thomas Jefferson invented the phrase "Separation Between Church and State". That lefty libtard moonbat who drives a car with good gas mileage and drinks 12 oz sodas.

The left is guilty of a similar thing with gun control completely ignoring the bill of rights or reinventing it to serve an ideological principle that guns are evil.

Might help to understand what Jefferson was talking about in that private letter to the Danbury Baptists. Hint, it doesn't mean what you think it means, nor does it mean what the Vinson court interpreted it to mean.

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like

Disagree the main point is the States have their own Militia's and when some States decided to leave the Union the Constitution was changed vastly increasing Federal power and decreasing State power. The States have always had the right to regulate arms based on original meaning. The States have abandoned their well regulated Militia's. That doesn't give the citizen the right to any weapon available on the planet.

I have the right to assemble but I still need a permit and can't assemble anywhere I want to just because.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by intelligentjetsfan View Post
    You said that your gun is always at arms distance at night. What happens if you are in the kitchen making a sandwich when somebody attempts to break in? Or if you are in the basement (assuming you have one) doing whatever when somebody breaks in. What do you do? Do you decide that you need a gun in every major room so that there is always a piece at arms length? Or do you carry your gun with you throughout the house?

Nobody breaks into homes in the area where I live in broad daylight or when people are obviously moving about. Most criminals are not that stupid. They look for an element of surprise and weakness.
    No basement. None in Charleston at all. Don'y usually make a sandwich at 2 AM either.

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    Horrific crime in the middle of the day and in a public courthouse.

http://www.philly.com/philly/news/20..._shooting.html

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by cr726 View Post
    Horrific crime in the middle of the day and in a public courthouse.

http://www.philly.com/philly/news/20..._shooting.html

A crazy man with a personal grudge. A nut who was part of a nut family.
    But it is an unrelated crime relative to personal protection at home.

This person should not have had a gun. We just had a situation here in Charleston at an exclusive girl's school where a woman tried to kill the headmistyress and a teacher outside the gates. Gun did not discharge. She threatened to kill GWB, arrested years ago but not charged because of "temporary insanity". Not on a list, so she just bought a handgun. 8 round capacity.

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by palmetto defender View Post
    A crazy man with a personal grudge. A nut who was part of a nut family.
    But it is an unrelated crime relative to personal protection at home.

This person should not have had a gun. We just had a situation here in Charleston at an exclusive girl's school where a woman tried to kill the headmistyress and a teacher outside the gates. Gun did not discharge. She threatened to kill GWB, arrested years ago but not charged because of "temporary insanity". Not on a list, so she just bought a handgun. 8 round capacity.
    Why do you live in the sticks anyway?