Thread: Revis to Camp?

Jets Insider VIP
    In Morris Co., N.J. at the right end of a Browning 12 gauge, with Nick to my left n Rex to my right.

Revis to Camp?

Jets' Darrelle Revis to report to training camp, report says

Published: Saturday, July 21, 2012, 7:07 AM Updated: Saturday, July 21, 2012, 7:09 AM

Tony Kurdzuk/The Star-LedgerCornerback Darrelle Revis had left the door open during the offseason to a possible contract holdout.
    Jets All-Pro cornerback Darrelle Revis plans to report to training camp on time, according to a report by the Associated Press.

Revis had left the door open to a potential contract holdout this offseason, saying he couldn't guarantee he would be in Cortland, N.Y., when players are due to report Thursday. But according to the AP, Revis has elected against holding out for the third time in his six-year career.

Revis' business manager, John Geiger, tweeted last night "Where is a good place to stay in Cortland?" which appeared to be a good sign. He later deleted the tweet.

By reporting, Revis will receive a $1 million reporting bonus and will also avoid tacking on three extra years to his contract at a modest $3 million per season. In 2010, after a lengthy preseason holdout, Revis signed a seven-year deal that voids to a four-year, $46 million deal if he does not hold out.

Revis earned $32.5 million over the first two years of his contract, including an $18 million option bonus earned last year. He is scheduled to earn a total of $13.5 million in 2012 and 2013. He hopes to receive a long-term deal with the Jets, but the question appeared to be after how many years each side -- Revis and the Jets -- expected his deal to be re-done.

Jets Insider VIP
    what happened to bold, brutal and basic or whatever those three Bs were, apache?

I love how the media can make a story about nothing.

Yes, he thought about holding out, but didn't.

End of story. Talk about actual football. But they can't, because they don't know anything about actual football. Only drama.

Jets Insider VIP
    In Morris Co., N.J. at the right end of a Browning 12 gauge, with Nick to my left n Rex to my right.
    Quote Originally Posted by sg3 View Post
    what happened to bold, brutal and basic or whatever those three Bs were, apache?
    Do you mean, Blunt, Basic and Brutal? The words which describe Rex's defense? Those whatever's?

Quote Originally Posted by John_0515 View Post

End of story. Talk about actual football. But they can't, because they don't know anything about actual football. Only drama.
    Maybe Santanio Holmes wasn't totally nuts after-all.

Not surprised. The hold out will happen next year, not when he has two years remaining. He's not dumb.

Quote Originally Posted by John_0515 View Post

How BIG of Mr Mevis to honor his legal contract and report to his job....

Hall Of Fame
    Or maybe as many posters here conjectured, he has no leverage whatsoever in his current position so the only tactic left to him to to float (or fan) speculative stories in the media about how he is not really sure what he is going to do...

Irresponsible journalism may have some part to play in all of this but it is really only camp Revis being three moves ahead of everyone else as usual.

My own thought is that these speculations are more about setting up the negotiations for the next time around than they are about this year. Now, somehow he can come across as a big man for simply doing what he was obliged to do in the first place.

Quote Originally Posted by 124 View Post
    Not surprised. The hold out will happen next year, not when he has two years remaining. He's not dumb.
    You're correct in that once Revis plays out this year the leverage swings to him, that is why I never thought he would holdout this year. However, I think he and the Jets will agree on an extension prior to the start of next season. There will be no holdout.

Veteran
    The Sports Agent is the cockroach of successful jobs. Sure you make great money and meet neat people, but so much of it is achieved through lies and greed. The players are greedy enough without them. If the commish could pull his head out of Bob Krafts butthole long enough to think, he could fix this. Nfl is a product and the agents should work for the NFL AND the players. Salaries would be less, seats would be cheaper and ones asking for more money would look like the biggest a$$holes.
    Its getting paid to play a game for OUR entertainment. How we the Fans fahqd this up and lost the power is beyond me.

Quote Originally Posted by Monster_Green View Post
    How BIG of Mr Mevis to honor his legal contract and report to his job....
    I don't think Revis is looking for kudos, but he doesn't deserve your snide comment either. This story was totally contrived by Cimini and other "reporters" of the same ilk. If they hadn't continued to barrage him with the holdout question (even as Revis tried his best to avoid the topic), he would have just shown up for camp and this thread wouldn't exist.

And before the "how come he didn't just clear the air and say he was going to report for camp" argument gets regurgitated, why should he give up the one bargaining chip he has because "reporters" are pestering him about it. Hey, maybe the Jets will tell the media who they plan to take in next year's draft 3 weeks in advance so Cimini can have a good headline!
    Last edited by MykePM; 07-21-2012 at 05:11 PM. Reason: Fix typo

Quote Originally Posted by RazorJet View Post
    The Sports Agent is the cockroach of successful jobs. Sure you make great money and meet neat people, but so much of it is achieved through lies and greed. The players are greedy enough without them. If the commish could pull his head out of Bob Krafts butthole long enough to think, he could fix this. Nfl is a product and the agents should work for the NFL AND the players. Salaries would be less, seats would be cheaper and ones asking for more money would look like the biggest a$$holes.
    Its getting paid to play a game for OUR entertainment. How we the Fans fahqd this up and lost the power is beyond me.
    You don't really believe that do you? Player salaries have no effect on ticket prices.

Jets Insider VIP
    Of the 4 major spprts...NFL players are the third worst in compensation ahead of only hockey.

Baseball and the NBA are vastly higher in salaries guarantees and everything else and both of those average longer careers to boot

So these whines of jealousy and envy from message board couch potatos arent based on much of anything
    Sent from my SGH-T679 using Tapatalk 2

Jets Insider VIP

Now if O, and ST have this attitude, lookout.

Quote Originally Posted by sg3 View Post
    Of the 4 major spprts...NFL players are the third worst in compensation ahead of only hockey.

Baseball and the NBA are vastly higher in salaries guarantees and everything else and both of those average longer careers to boot

So these whines of jealousy and envy from message board couch potatos arent based on much of anything
    Sent from my SGH-T679 using Tapatalk 2
    Really? C'mon man ... The reason is simple ... NFL roster are bigger. Twice the size of baseball ... 3 times that of basketball.