Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: I AM SooooooooOOOOO Psyched!!!!!!!!

We still need another vet at RB. Hard to believe that McKnight/Greene get it done.

Veteran
    Quote Originally Posted by Minkaveli View Post
    Exactly how I feel. I smell an 8-8 season. More excited about the Knicks TBH.
    7-9 will be my guess for 3rd place in the afce

I don't drink Kool Aid (ugghh). Just water. And I still think the Jets will finish 12-4. The defense will be better, Sanchez will be more mature, and Schottenheimer is gone. 12-4.

As a 32 year season ticket holder who bleeds green&white, I have a horrible feeling that a 4-12 or 6-10 season is waiting in the wings. Obviously, I hope I'm wrong.

Jets Insider VIP
    Wiggy is certain his beloved cheating douches will be 19-0 same as every season for every chowd troll

Sent from my SGH-T679 using Tapatalk 2

Bewildered Beast
    Quote Originally Posted by bullitt929 View Post
    I don't drink Kool Aid (ugghh). Just water. And I still think the Jets will finish 12-4. The defense will be better, Sanchez will be more mature, and Schottenheimer is gone. 12-4.
    What I meant: I am on your bandwagon. This could be a special season.

Quote Originally Posted by Minkaveli View Post
    We still need another vet at RB. Hard to believe that McKnight/Greene get it done.
    Time you got a new Avatar no?

I wish I was as optimistic as some of the posters here. I got real down on Rex last season and believe much of the failure falls on him. Its very difficult to motivate players on any level when, it appears, that there is never any criticism or accountability. Sometimes players must be replaced even if it is not 100% their fault for the better of the team. Hunter is an excellent example of this. It was so obvious that he struggled last season, to come back with this same player is a let down before the season starts, even if it is not 100% his fault. I think it sends a message that poor play is acceptable. Santonio Holmes and Bart Scott should be included on this list for insubordination. As long as the cap hit from cutting both allows the team to field enough players I would have rid myself of both. I think it make Rex look weak having them back. I'd also put Revis on the block and get the best for him. You cant have the disruption that Revis brings with holding out every two years no matter how great he is. Stockpile high draft picks and set the team up for a great future. Rex claims that he is a great defensive mind, Im sure he could find a way to win without Revis. You know the Pats, Giants, and Steelers would have NEVER had Revis, Hunter, Holmes, or Scott back after they were so unproductive and/or insubordinate

Bewildered Beast
    Quote Originally Posted by copernicus View Post
    I wish I was as optimistic as some of the posters here. I got real down on Rex last season and believe much of the failure falls on him. Its very difficult to motivate players on any level when, it appears, that there is never any criticism or accountability. Sometimes players must be replaced even if it is not 100% their fault for the better of the team. Hunter is an excellent example of this. It was so obvious that he struggled last season, to come back with this same player is a let down before the season starts, even if it is not 100% his fault. I think it sends a message that poor play is acceptable. Santonio Holmes and Bart Scott should be included on this list for insubordination. As long as the cap hit from cutting both allows the team to field enough players I would have rid myself of both. I think it make Rex look weak having them back. I'd also put Revis on the block and get the best for him. You cant have the disruption that Revis brings with holding out every two years no matter how great he is. Stockpile high draft picks and set the team up for a great future. Rex claims that he is a great defensive mind, Im sure he could find a way to win without Revis. You know the Pats, Giants, and Steelers would have NEVER had Revis, Hunter, Holmes, or Scott back after they were so unproductive and/or insubordinate
    I think you have serious problems.

Quote Originally Posted by copernicus View Post
    sorry to hear that.

but this might make you feel a bit better:

http://www.nj.com/jets/index.ssf/201..._rex_ryan.html

New-look Rex Ryan aims to reconnect with his team

Rex Ryan’s quest to take back his team began Jan. 1, in the galley of a 757 team charter homebound from South Florida.

His Jets, in his third year as head coach, had just imploded — collapsed upon themselves from within, in the truest sense — in a drama-filled season-ending loss to Miami. Sickened by his team missing the playoffs for the first time in his tenure, Ryan began sifting through the rubble for answers.

He pulled the second-longest tenured Jet, right guard Brandon Moore, into the cramped kitchen area as the flight attendants drew the curtains shut. For the next 20 minutes, Ryan was endearingly “wide open,” Moore recalled. He needed to know what happened to his team, even if he knew the answers would sting.

“I’m sitting there, talking in front of the team, selling, ‘Team, team, team,’ like I always am, and I did not know we had a rift in our team. How was I not aware of it?” Ryan said months later in his Florham Park office. “I was mad. I was upset. I was mad at myself, because you’re either coaching it or allowing it to happen, and I’m not going to do either.”

In the months since that nadir, Ryan has embarked on a regeneration of sorts in anticipation of a new season, which officially starts when training camp opens this week in Cortland, N.Y. He publicly took responsibility for the sub-standard 2011 season, and has privately taken measures to ensure 2012 is different.

His approach has been humbling and painstaking, including a reckoning with a yellow pad of paper in Hawaii, a frank speech to the entire football operations staff in February and consultations with a secret “sensei” — his word — whose identity he promises to withhold until his redemption campaign is complete.

As he shed a remarkable 106 pounds (and counting) from his physique, Ryan was reshaping himself as a head coach, too, desperate to turn the defeat of an 8-8 season into opportunity.

“He’s revived,” owner Woody Johnson said. “It’s a different Rex in a way, because I think Rex is evolving into the job. He was almost to the Super Bowl two years in a row, coming right out of the gate, so it’s hard to change your attitude. … He took (last season) personally, and I just think you’re going to see more of an intense focus.”

SEEKING ANSWERS

Ryan, a man of ritual, has made a habit of unwinding from each season with a getaway to the Pro Bowl. Before he left for Hawaii this winter, general manager Mike Tannenbaum handed Ryan a yellow pad of paper.

“Put all the problems on the left-hand side,” Tannenbaum told him, “and put your solutions on the right.”

The afternoon after the season-ending loss to the Dolphins, Ryan made the admission to reporters that he “lost the pulse” of his team. But his evaluation process would go on for weeks, as Santonio Holmes’ Week 17 benching and players’ public descriptions of the locker-room disharmony cast a pall over his club.

Ryan continued to poll his players and assistant coaches, making a simple plea: “I need help.”

All-Pro cornerback Darrelle Revis had been asleep on the flight home from Florida, so Ryan called him a few days later. He also met with linebacker Bart Scott and defensive coordinator Mike Pettine and secondary coach Dennis Thurman, the men who had believed in Ryan since his days as an up-and-coming coordinator with the Ravens.

Each confirmed what Ryan was realizing on his own: He had strayed from the very traits that had once set him apart, being hands-on and teaching the game of football and having fun. He had tried to take the next step as a head coach, but instead, in Pettine’s words, “isolated” himself.

“I just told him that we need him in there,” Scott said. “He should come back in and give us more of his gifts. Teach us. Nobody really teaches like him.”

By the time Ryan returned from Hawaii, he had filled pages and pages of the yellow pad. In return, Tannenbaum shared that he had tucked away in his top right desk drawer the aqua-colored band used to tag his bag at Sun Life Stadium — a daily motivator to avoid another season bitterly expiring on New Year’s Day.

Seated in Ryan’s office, they were ready to move forward.

“Let’s go,” Ryan told Tannenbaum. “We’ve got to get better, and it starts with me.”

FOOTBALL FIRST

To prioritize his responsibilities as a head coach, Ryan visualizes a four-quadrant grid. In the top left are tasks that are urgent and important. The bottom right has items that are not urgent and not important. The other two boxes are where he’s making a change.

Ryan realized he was bogged down last year with things that were urgent but not important, managerial-type tasks that kept him in the head-coaching chair, figuratively and literally. He has vowed instead to focus more on what is not urgent, but important — like spending time with his players.

In other words, it’s football first.

“He’s admitted it, he lost sight of that,” Pettine said. “Football is the dog, not the tail.”

The staff received its first taste of the renewed Ryan when it gathered in the cafeteria in mid-February, the entire football operations department from the front office to the new coaches to the groundskeepers.

For 45 minutes, he and Tannenbaum spoke of the direction of the team, of each person being a stakeholder in its success, of communicating better so small problems don’t become big ones. But Tannenbaum most noticed Ryan’s humility, the way he pointed the finger only at himself, which has had a trickle-down effect.

This offseason, Ryan became the head coach who set up hour-long tutoring sessions with new offensive coordinator Tony Sparano, but usually stayed nearly twice as long. Players swear he is in every meeting, grilling cornerbacks on the nose tackle’s responsibilities during a defensive install.

First-round pick Quinton Coples was shocked when Ryan stopped him in the hallway one afternoon — “In the hallway!” Coples exclaimed — to show him a different counter-move to the jump-set Coples had seen from an offensive lineman in practice that morning.

Ryan changed his daily schedule to allow more time to watch film with his assistants, and his colleagues have noticed that his itinerary is now much more regimented. Meeting times and calendars are set, no longer as free-flowing.

What drives Ryan is what he once took for granted on his teams: Everybody pulling in the same direction.

When the players returned for the offseason program in April, Ryan showed a PowerPoint slide in the team meeting with examples of anonymous quotes in the media that undermined the team last season.

Since unity starts from the top, the coaching staff went off-site to a farm in June for an exhausting day of team-building and leadership drills, led by a former Army Special Forces operator and a pair of combat-wounded veterans.

“Just because you build something doesn’t mean you will take off from where you were,” Ryan said. “You have to go back to the ground floor, and start again.”

THE NEXT STEP

Ahead of the Jets is a season with much to prove: That last year’s playoffs miss was an aberration, and that QBs Mark Sanchez and Tim Tebow can work in synergy, for starters. Perhaps for many reasons, Ryan has enlisted the help of a mysterious mentor he calls “my little sensei,” the Japanese
    word for a “wise teacher.”

The sensei’s identity is intriguingly guarded within the walls of the Jets facility. He is male and does not work in the building. He and Ryan speak a few times a month. He offers advice and perspective, and “really has me look at myself,” Ryan said. But other details are scarce.

Asked if the sensei is a former coach, Ryan says, “He’s a coach of mine.” Thurman, one of Ryan’s most trusted confidants, pretends not to know about the sensei before jumping up from the interview table. Tannenbaum squirms similarly, offering only that the sensei is a “special person who has bettered all of us.”

“After we have the season that we’re going to have,” Ryan says coyly, “I’ll mention his name.”

What kind of season is that? That mildly confident intimation is as close as Ryan wants to get these days to his once-ubiquitous Super Bowl guarantees. Toning down his brashness was part of Ryan’s redefinition this spring, and in its place, Thurman describes “more of a hard-line, straight attitude” to work toward winning a championship rather than talking about it.

Ryan’s aim is not to change who he is, but rather to be the best, most successful version of himself. He refers respectfully to Tom Coughlin, coach of the Super Bowl champion Giants, kindly guessing his counterpart “probably doesn’t make a mistake” decades into his coaching career. But being able to learn from mistakes is one of the reasons Johnson hired Ryan.

To Ryan, last season was a mistake, his mistake. He’s determined to be the opposite for his team this year.

“For some coaches, it’s about hanging on,” Ryan said. “That’s not who I am. I want to be great. Maybe that sets me apart from others, but I’m not worried about the security. I came here to be special, and that’s what I want to be.”

Jenny Vrentas:

Jets Insider VIP
    cope would dump the best defensive player in the NFL along with the Jets best wide receiver, current starting RT and current starting ILB

Hopefully he is better at teaching those 5 hours a day 9 months a year than he is as a football talent evaluator

the 1st 8 games are brutal, 12-4 will be hard.

Quote Originally Posted by Mardukis View Post
    Time you got a new Avatar no?

Quote Originally Posted by Dirtstar View Post
    sorry to hear that.

but this might make you feel a bit better:

http://www.nj.com/jets/index.ssf/201..._rex_ryan.html
    Thanks Dirstar, I did read this article, but i am guessing my feelings on Rex are a bit skeptical because the last impression I have is of a coach that had TOTALLY lost his team. This is a great article for JETS fans to hold to. At the very least is a step in the right direction. I just have a hard time believing that Rex could be so "disconnected" from this team after being so "connected." It just doesnt measure up for me presently. LT, one of the greatest players of all times says that it was the WORST locker room ever. McElroy, a rookie QB who played at a major college and knows a bit about the media could not contain himself and expressed how bad the situation was. Two players at opposite ends of their careers with the same feeling. I have to believe they did not make this up. How does team chemistry go from the best to the worst with the same HC in such a short period of time? Listening to Rex at seasons end had me believing that this guy was "all talk" after witnessing this team self destruct. It will take me more than a few "feel good" articles to fully have confidence that Rex is the right guy. Its going to take some time. In a way I feel a bit "taken for a fool" for believing that this HC was the one, then witnessing what became of last season.

Thanks again Dirstar for the response.

I am not understanding those posters who are responding by bringing my occupation, and being somewhat personal, into posts that dont relate to the topic.

All Pro
    Quote Originally Posted by Dirtstar View Post
    we played like sh!t most of last season and still finished 8-8.

with a revamped defense and a Schitty-less offense, the Jets should get to at least 10 wins.
    R u Saying we have a "chance"?

All Pro
    I like flavor aid better myself, but not green. What is that lime? Schotty is gone. Time for Mark to actually develop some faith in his receivers with options, on plays everyone knows, and is ready to run. Seems like a whole new attitude on offense, on a team that already was very good. I don't get the negativity.

Jets Insider VIP
    Super*****/Prom Queen

Nothing beats NY water, born & raised on it, still drinking it to this day. (-;

So the SOJF's want to piss all over a thread entitled I'm So Psyched? What are the odds? Thank God camp starts in a few days so you can bit#h about the schedule even though you won't be going to any practices. IMO The winds of positive change and forward progress have found it's way to the team. It all starts & ends with Rex, all you have to do is believe.

Quote Originally Posted by Peebag View Post
    R u Saying we have a "chance"?
    lol, it would be the greatest thing ever if the Jets put Chance patches on their jerseys.

take that, MHK

All League
    I'm looking forward to the season. Not looking forward to the zoo that I think will develop when Tebow wins a game for us.

Veteran
    Quote Originally Posted by section314 View Post
    As a 32 year season ticket holder who bleeds green&white, I have a horrible feeling that a 4-12 or 6-10 season is waiting in the wings. Obviously, I hope I'm wrong.
    I'm with you. This season can be the end of the entire front office. From coach to gm, to scouting department. Everyone gone and start rebuilding.