Enjoy an Ads-Free Jets Insider - Become a Jets Insider VIP!
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Man of Steel

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by southside View Post
    Here's a pretty thing: Mithril. As light as a feather, and as hard as dragon-scales.
    You gotta get better condoms.

Maybe that's the issue.

_

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Post Thanks / Like
    DC Sucks. Sorry, but they do.

Superman - Alien with almost Godlike Powers and no meaningful challenges to overcome. Yeah, interesting, we can all relate.

Batman - mumbley Mitt Romney goes Vigilante. Wow, riveting.

Wonder Woman - hey, the early 70's called, they want their lame disco style and Wymyns Rights Movement back. Nice invisible plane btw.

Aquaman - Need I report teh Squid-on-Cock gif?

Green Lantern - Lol. Right. Magic jewlery of the Alien Gods.

DC movies are like DC Comics....generally either just bad or out-dated bad. Take your choice.

Personally, I'm ready for Comics to stay in Comic Book form. Enough with the films. Even the best of the best are pretty bad.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Warfish View Post

DC movies are like DC Comics....generally either just bad or out-dated bad. Take your choice.

Personally, I'm ready for Comics to stay in Comic Book form. Enough with the films. Even the best of the best are pretty bad.
    you're ****ting me if you really believe that Batman is not one of the most compelling superheroes, even in his most basic/crude description of "vigilante Mittens."

and likewise, you've gotta be ****ing kidding me if you include Nolan's trilogy in the category of DC films that "even the best of the best are pretty bad."

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Dirtstar View Post
    you're ****ting me if you really believe that Batman is not one of the most compelling superheroes, even in his most basic/crude description of "vigilante Mittens."

and likewise, you've gotta be ****ing kidding me if you include Nolan's trilogy in the category of DC films that "even the best of the best are pretty bad."
    Guess I'm ****ting you then, cause Batman is a snoozefest of a paper-thin cardboard-cutout "character", and I didn't like amy of the first two films (on cable, wouldn't pay to see them) so not seeing the third.

I do like Nolan, and generally like Bale as an actor. But the films can only be as good as the character they're about, and Batman is fail.

I'll leave you with this :

Homosexual interpretations

Further information: Homosexuality in the Batman franchise

Controversy has arisen over various sexual interpretations made regarding the content of Batman comics in the early decades. Homosexual interpretations have been part of the academic study of Batman since psychologist Fredric Wertham asserted in his Seduction of the Innocent in 1954 that "Batman stories are psychologically homosexual." He claimed, "The Batman type of story may stimulate children to homosexual fantasies, of the nature of which they may be unconscious." Wertham wrote, "Only someone ignorant of the fundamentals of psychiatry and of the psychopathology of sex can fail to realize a subtle atmosphere of homoeroticism which pervades the adventures of the mature 'Batman' and his young friend 'Robin.'"[144]

Andy Medhurst wrote in his 1991 essay "Batman, Deviance, and Camp" that Batman is interesting to gay audiences because "he was one of the first fictional characters to be attacked on the grounds of his presumed homosexuality," "the 1960s TV series remains a touchstone of camp," and "[he] merits analysis as a notably successful construction of masculinity."[145]

Creators associated with the character have expressed their own opinions. Writer Alan Grant has stated, "The Batman I wrote for 13 years isn't gay. Denny O'Neil's Batman, Marv Wolfman's Batman, everybody's Batman all the way back to Bob Kane... none of them wrote him as a gay character. Only Joel Schumacher might have had an opposing view." Writer Devin Grayson has commented, "It depends who you ask, doesn't it? Since you're asking me, I'll say no, I don't think he is ... I certainly understand the gay readings, though."[146] While Frank Miller has described the relationship between Batman and the Joker as a "homophobic nightmare,"[147] he views the character as sublimating his sexual urges into crimefighting, concluding, "He'd be much healthier if he were gay."[148] Burt Ward, who portrayed Robin in the 1960s television show, has also remarked upon this interpretation in his autobiography Boy Wonder: My Life in Tights; he writes that the relationship could be interpreted as a sexual one, with the show's double entendres and lavish camp also possibly offering ambiguous interpretation.[149]

Such homosexual interpretations continue to attract attention. One notable example occurred in 2000, when DC Comics refused to allow permission for the reprinting of four panels (from Batman #79, 92, 105 and 139) to illustrate Christopher York's paper All in the Family: Homophobia and Batman Comics in the 1950s.[150] Another happened in the summer of 2005, when painter Mark Chamberlain displayed a number of watercolors depicting both Batman and Robin in suggestive and sexually explicit poses.[151] DC threatened both artist and the Kathleen Cullen Fine Arts gallery with legal action if they did not cease selling the works and demanded all remaining art, as well as any profits derived from them.[152]

Will Brooker argues in Batman Unmasked: Analyzing a Cultural Icon,[153] that a queer reading of Batman is a valid interpretation, and that homosexual readers would naturally find themselves drawn to the lifestyle depicted within, whether the character of Bruce Wayne himself is explicity homosexual or not. He also identifies a homophobic element to the vigour with which mainstream fandom rejects the possibility of a homosexual reading of the character. In the April 2012 issue of Playboy, long time Batman writer Grant Morrison referred to Batman as being "utterly gay" and stated that "gayness is built into the character", citing the character's combative relationship with women and close relationship with Alfred and Robin as evidence.[154] Building on this, a Comics Alliance opinion piece titled The Gayness of Batman discussed the question of homosexual readings of the character, citing his relationship with the flamboyant Joker as "a monstrous distortion of the conflict between the closet and the scene."[155]

All League
    Post Thanks / Like

Superman - Alien with almost Godlike Powers and no meaningful challenges to overcome. Yeah, interesting, we can all relate.

Wonder Woman - hey, the early 70's called, they want their lame disco style and Wymyns Rights Movement back. Nice invisible plane btw.

Just curious what kind of movies do you like?Didn't I read from you on another post you don't like gangster movies either?If that wasn't you my bad

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by IHATEDOLPHINS View Post
    Just curious what kind of movies do you like?Didn't I read from you on another post you don't like gangster movies either?If that wasn't you my bad
    Marvel Superheroes are fine, Watchmen was good, I just hate DC's characters in all it's forms. /shrug.

And aye, I'm not into Gangster Flicks.

I tend to go for Sci-Fi, War Films (especially the grittier most historicly accurate, especially WWI and WWII), Historical Drama, Comedy, etc.

I do so love trolling Batman Fans too tho.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Marvel Superheroes are fine, Watchmen was good, I just hate DC's characters in all it's forms. /shrug.

And aye, I'm not into Gangster Flicks.

I tend to go for Sci-Fi, War Films (especially the grittier most historicly accurate, especially WWI and WWII), Historical Drama, Comedy, etc.

I do so love trolling Batman Fans too tho.
    LOL I am a huge Batman fan,but see where you are coming from..I do the same thing to Star Wars fans.

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by IHATEDOLPHINS View Post
    LOL

I do the same thing to Star Wars fans.
    Aye, used to be one of those myself, and aye, would rise to that bait often.

Then I saw the Prequal-Trilogy. Now I troll them and their Jar Jar Bink Suits too.

Just don't tell me that Deep Space Nine was better that Voyager, and we'll get along swimmingly (and if you don't get the reference, we're also fine, lol!)

Naaa, I am trolling a bit, but personally I just could never find any enjoyment from DC's stable fo characters, or teh films based on them, with one exception......Superman II, the one with the three dudes in Black. But I was young then, so who knows. I did like the cheesy Batman TV show tho too.

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    but personally I just could never find any enjoyment from DC's stable fo characters,
    I was the same way (always been a Marvel guy). There were of course, exceptions, Batman chief among them. The '80s and '90s stuff was excellent. The reboot of Green Arrow around the same time was as well. Let's not forget Hellblazer and Sandman either. DC had some ground-breaking miniseries/graphic novels, too, like Watchmen, The Books of Magic, Ronin, Sin City and The Dark Knight Returns.

I agree with you about a lot of their universe, though. It's pretty cardboard cutout.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Guess I'm ****ting you then, cause Batman is a snoozefest of a paper-thin cardboard-cutout "character", and I didn't like amy of the first two films (on cable, wouldn't pay to see them) so not seeing the third.

I do like Nolan, and generally like Bale as an actor. But the films can only be as good as the character they're about, and Batman is fail.

I'll leave you with this :

you just admitted to trolling for the sake of trolling, so i leave you with a hearty "LOLGFY" and may God have mercy on your soul.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by JStokes View Post
    You gotta get better condoms.

Maybe that's the issue.

_

To quote Willie Nelson (no pun intended)
    "In my day a nickle bag cost a nickle and a dime bag cost a dime. Know how much a condom cost? I don't know, we never used them!"

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Dirtstar View Post
    you just admitted to trolling for the sake of trolling
    Hi, I'm Warfish. Pleased to meet you, apparently you're new here.

so i leave you with a hearty "LOLGFY" and may God have mercy on your soul.
    See, now that was funny.

Because we both know, Trolls don't have souls.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like

Fist- not that you care, but this is a monumentaly condescending post.

/shrug

_

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Leave ****ty shtick to SAR, Fish...

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by AlwaysGreenAlwaysWhite View Post
    Leave ****ty shtick to SAR, Fish...
    +1

Frightening how similar they are....

Fist couldn't be.........could he? Both have shown disdain for the hampur. Coincidence?

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    New trailer, this is shaping up to be good.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KVu3gS7iJu4

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by southside View Post
    +1

Frightening how similar they are....

Fist couldn't be.........could he? Both have shown disdain for the hampur. Coincidence?
    Thanks for the bump, I missed this first time round.

No, I am not SAR. We're both dicks, just different kinds of dicks.

And I havn't disliked the Hampur is....years now? Considering it was my idea (well, one of many who supported the split and suggested it) AND I post often in it, you'd think the "Fish hates us" thing would've died away by now.

I love the Hampur. I just hate some of the schmucks who post in it.

They know who they are.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks for the bump, I missed this first time round.

No, I am not SAR. We're both dicks, just different kinds of dicks.

And I havn't disliked the Hampur is....years now? Considering it was my idea (well, one of many who supported the split and suggested it) AND I post often in it, you'd think the "Fish hates us" thing would've died away by now.

I love the Hampur. I just hate some of the schmucks who post in it.

They know who they are.
    It's cool to hate southside bro... He's used to it.

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Jetworks View Post
    New trailer, this is shaping up to be good.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KVu3gS7iJu4
    Still looks cool, and I would see it, as anyone a fan of Superman would go see this. I don't know about the actor who plays Superman this time, but I thought Brandon Routh played Superman to the T. Scary similarities to Christopher Reeve including looks and his voice.

We'll see how this plays out as it looks a lot darker than any other Superman film.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Bonhomme Richard View Post
    The whole genre blows
    go blow yourself...if you don't like it don't click on the thread....