Thread: XBox 360 4GB

Veteran

XBox 360 4GB

My 11 year old wants one of these. She'll just be hooking it up to TV to play games.

I know nothing about this stuff. I've been seeing poor reviews for the refurbished models. Wondering if its worth just spending the extra $$ for a new money.

Help me out gamers....

Thx

You're definitely better off buying new than referb. Keep in mind though also that to play xbox games online you to shell out another $50 for the service every year. Not sure what your kid wants to do.

Also a 4gb hard drive is pretty small so if she wants to download a game off xbox live arcade, she'll only be able to hold 2-3 before she needs to delete one. You can always just redownload them, but its just annoying.

I personally prefer gaming on the ps3. For $250 you can get a 160gb hard drive and the online is free, so it turns out to be the same price. Depends on what games she wants to play though, as not every game is available on every system.

Jets Insider VIP

Xbox

I just got xbox with a 250 gb hard drive. Kids previously had a PS2 and a Wii. It was a close toss up between ps3 and xbox, but liked the kinect (an add-on) for the xbox better. I would go with new rather than refurb and would get the bigger hard drive than the 4 gb. My kids do not go online so the Xbox live was not much of a factor.

You can save games on the ICloud if you have that service. If you do then I'd definitely recommend the 4G.

Practice Squad
    Xbox over ps3 for children. If u can afford to dish out the extra cash you should try to get the kinnect with it. It's great for the kids. My little cousin just got one for his birthday and he's in love lol. For 300$ u can get xbox with 250 gb hard drive and kinnect and 2 games that the kids will love

Jets Insider VIP
    Totally relevant to the NFL.

How come no one's brought up Madden/Nfl games yet

Quote Originally Posted by Tennessee_Jet View Post
    My 11 year old wants one of these. She'll just be hooking it up to TV to play games.

I know nothing about this stuff. I've been seeing poor reviews for the refurbished models. Wondering if its worth just spending the extra $$ for a new money.

Help me out gamers....

Thx

Not sure about new v. refurbished but definitely get the Kinect. Greatest gift ever. Kids and adults love it.

As others have stated the 4gb hard drive is very limited. Even save game files will fill it up pretty quickly, and some games are now designed to be installed on the harddrive in order to work properly.

I would seriously consider getting the xbox elite bundle (system, kinect, 250gb hard drive). It'll run you about 400$. Reason being that getting a base system and upgrading it is significantly more expensive.

The basic 4gb system is about 200$

If you decide you want to upgrade the hard drive, you're going to pay ~100$ for a 120gb drive. The 250gb drive you get with the elite isn't available for sale. So you're paying the same price for half the capacity when you upgrade.

Also, you're going to pay 150$ to get the kinect separately. Bundled it's 100$ extra and comes with a couple games. So essentially, by buying it all at once you're saving 50$, getting a free game, and double the hard drive capacity.

Also, unless you can find a better deal, look at the special edition star wars version on amazon. It appears to be the same price as the elite models, includes all the same features, increases the hard drive size to 320gb, and looks pretty cool if you like star wars at all.

All League
    Agree with Axil. the 4gb is very limited. for instance, Battlefield 3 save game file took up over 2 gb.

Think about some of the games and high advanced they are, if its not a deal breaker, go for the 250 gb.

One thing to keep in mind though.. next generation Xbox is due to launch around Christmas of 2013.. We are beginning to near the end of the life of the current gen systems. For this reason, if you or your daughter has only a passing interest in a gaming system, you may want to wait until either the new system comes out (though at that point you're probable looking at a 600-800$ purchase, or prices start to fall more dramatically for existing tech.. though then you have to deal with the fact that very little in the way of games and software will be developed for the old systems.

That said, a year and a half is a long time (especially for an 11 yr/o).. if i wanted an xbox, i get one now. Just something you ought to be aware of.

*edit* oh, for completeness sake let me mention the next Wii console is coming out in a few months (Wii U), and will retail initially in the <erase>(read that wrong!) ~350$ range. I've never liked Wii very much, but some people your daughter is in the age range where a lot of kids really love them. Just something else to consider.
    Last edited by Axil; 07-23-2012 at 10:35 AM.

All Pro
    Since you are asking for opinions......

Xbox's , ps3's are really a waste of money, and depending on your parenting outlook, may be a little too much for a 9 y/o (language, violence, etc). Not to sound like a goody goody, but i wont let my kids play with one.....

On the other hand, why not locate a quality Nintendo NES system from ebay? You could get an older unit, plus games for 30-60 bucks...
    In addition, the games (also on ebay) are MUCH more affordable (MANY under 10$).

Also, an argument can still be made 30 years later that these old games are actually more fun than all the new, hyper graphic, 4d games.

Jets Insider VIP
    Get the 250gb model. You'll burn through that 4gb faster than FF2 in a gay bar.

wut

Jets Insider VIP
    get your kid a bunch of books instead

Quote Originally Posted by sdJETSetter View Post

Xbox's , ps3's are really a waste of money, and depending on your parenting outlook, may be a little too much for a 9 y/o (language, violence, etc). Not to sound like a goody goody, but i wont let my kids play with one.....

On the other hand, why not locate a quality Nintendo NES system from ebay? You could get an older unit, plus games for 30-60 bucks...
    In addition, the games (also on ebay) are MUCH more affordable (MANY under 10$).

Also, an argument can still be made 30 years later that these old games are actually more fun than all the new, hyper graphic, 4d games.
    Maybe for more simple minded people.

Xbox and PS3 aren't a waste of money.
    Last edited by k.Rhodes25; 07-23-2012 at 02:12 PM.

Jets Insider VIP
    Quote Originally Posted by 10PennyToColes87 View Post
    Totally relevant to the NFL.
    Um yeah. Not sure why this is still on the Strip.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Jordy View Post
    Um yeah. Not sure why this is still on the Strip.
    Because it's a poster who's been here since 2003, who just so happens to have a question in regards to a video game system for his/her little daughter. Jesus man, give it a rest with your little "board patrolling" already.

Well, you're entitled to your opinion, but there is no way in hell my kids would be interested in old games. The graphics, design, animation are way too outdated for them. How old are your kids? Not only that, their friends would probably think they were weird. Just keepin' it real...

All Pro
    Quote Originally Posted by Greensleeves View Post
    Well, you're entitled to your opinion, but there is no way in hell my kids would be interested in old games. The graphics, design, animation are way too outdated for them. How old are your kids? Not only that, their friends would probably think they were weird. Just keepin' it real...
    They are under 18, and they dont have friends.

As far as they know, the NES is top of the line gaming.
    Just told the boy today I would pick him up the new Mike Tyson game for his upcoming birthday. Couldnt be more excited.

I do understand your point though, im sure the new stuff is light years ahead in technology.....i just dont know if its that far ahead in fun.

They are under 18, and they dont have friends.

As far as they know, the NES is top of the line gaming.
    Just told the boy today I would pick him up the new Mike Tyson game for his upcoming birthday. Couldnt be more excited.

I do understand your point though, im sure the new stuff is light years ahead in technology.....i just dont know if its that far ahead in fun.
    There's definitely a lot of crap out there, but if you're selective about the games you play, it's hard to go back to anything but the best games of years past.

Video games are a visual medium, so the way that something looks is important.

I was about to rattle off a list of the incredible games from the last 8 years or so, but then I realized that most of them probably aren't age appropriate for an 11 year old.

If the new Wii has all of the applications that the current-gen Xbox and PS3 do, that would probably be the best choice for a kid. It's only about 3 months away from launch.