Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Results 41 to 60 of 100

Thread: Shooting

  1. #41
    Quote Originally Posted by DeanPatsFan View Post
    No one knows exactly what the circumstances were in the theater, unless they were there themselves. All I'm saying is, if someone well trained in firearms was in the theater carrying a high caliber handgun, the death toll may have been less...
    So despite the fact that you feel "no one knows exactly what the circumstances were", you're still confident in projecting that one or multiple non-LEO armed theatre-goers with high-caliber weapons taking personal action to disacharge those weapons most likely would have been a net positive, and (for the reasons cited) not a potential net negative.



    Agree to disagree Dean. I think your argument does the Gun Rights side more harm than good tbqh.

  2. #42
    Quote Originally Posted by DeanPatsFan View Post
    No one knows exactly what the circumstances were in the theater, unless they were there themselves. All I'm saying is, if someone well trained in firearms was in the theater carrying a high caliber handgun, the death toll may have been less...
    And if the actual Batman had been watching his own movie, he would have used batarangs to take down the attacker.

    But yes, I'll grant you this much - if a highly trained and heavily armed marksman with combat experience had been there, the outcome might have been different

  3. #43
    All Pro
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Colorado
    Posts
    6,961
    Although Dean is being far too idealistic in his assessment, I have to shockingly agree with him to a certain extent.

    The police responded to this event in 90 seconds. Maybe a gun carrying citizen doesn't stop everything with a head shot, but he/she certainly could have engaged the shooter for long enough to make a significant impact on the number of people ultimately dead and injured. With police responding so quickly, all it takes is a distraction which lasts seconds, not minutes.

  4. #44
    Quote Originally Posted by DeanPatsFan View Post
    I've shot guns since I was 10 years old and can pick the hair off a fly's ass @ 50 yards so lol all you want... Doesn't affect my abilities what so ever....

    In fairness, I don't think you mean what you said. I had an expert rating in the Army with a rifle and pistol and couldn't do that. I had a sniper assigned to me. He was good, but he couldn't do that. And under pressure, taking fire, the best aren't as good.

  5. #45
    Quote Originally Posted by palmetto defender View Post
    In fairness, I don't think you mean what you said.
    Of course not. Pick a hair off a fly's ass @ 50 yards? Impossible with a rifle and scope. Just making a point...

  6. #46
    All Pro
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Un-Pleasantville
    Posts
    6,538
    Quote Originally Posted by Jetworks View Post
    LOL, beat me to my own edit. All is lost. My argument is invalid
    Only invalid if you assume that being LEO and/or ex-military makes you the ultimate expert on guns. DPF knows guns and there are certainly many hunters around these parts who'd prove you wrong. One of my BILs is an avid experienced hunter shooting anything from pheasant to bear and I am 100% certain he would have picked this nut off, despite the best efforts of crypto-liberals here to naysay it.
    Last edited by Jungle Shift Jet; 07-24-2012 at 12:54 PM.

  7. #47
    Quote Originally Posted by doggin94it View Post
    And if the actual Batman had been watching his own movie, he would have used batarangs to take down the attacker.

    But yes, I'll grant you this much - if a highly trained and heavily armed marksman with combat experience had been there, the outcome might have been different
    And if guns were banned, there is no way the attacker could have gotten his hands on one to kill all of these people..

    Unless Oblunder and Holder handed him one.....

  8. #48
    Jets Insider VIP
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    Van down by the river
    Posts
    23,001
    Quote Originally Posted by palmetto defender View Post
    In fairness, I don't think you mean what you said. I had an expert rating in the Army with a rifle and pistol and couldn't do that. I had a sniper assigned to me. He was good, but he couldn't do that. And under pressure, taking fire, the best aren't as good.
    In fairness, I don't think you know what Dean is actually capable of:

    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lGZQi3ODB-U

    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=guVAeFs5XwE


    pew.


    pew pew pew pew.

    pew pew.


    Big gun man. Big gun man.

  9. #49
    Quote Originally Posted by PlumberKhan View Post
    In fairness, I don't think you know what Dean is actually capable of:

    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lGZQi3ODB-U

    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=guVAeFs5XwE


    pew.


    pew pew pew pew.

    pew pew.



    Big gun man. Big gun man.


    You got it PlumBob....

  10. #50
    Quote Originally Posted by PlumberKhan View Post
    In fairness, I don't think you know what Dean is actually capable of
    Sure we know.

    Just like Markey Mark, who could have stopped 9/11, if Dean had been in the Theatre, armed, this tragedy maybe would never have happened.

    They're both simply that good at what they do.

  11. #51
    Quote Originally Posted by Jungle Shift Jet View Post
    Only invalid if you assume that being LEO and/or ex-military makes you the ultimate expert on guns. DPF knows guns and there are certainly many hunters around these parts who'd prove you wrong. One of my BILs is an avid experienced hunter shooting anything from pheasant to bear and I am 100% certain he would have picked this nut off, despite the best efforts of crypto-liberals here to naysay it.
    Most of these "experts" wouldn't know a 22 from a 12 gauge and would pee themselves at the thought of handling a gun, yet they know for sure that a person fully trained and and an expert shot could in no way take this mad man out with a high powered semi automatic pistol holding a 15 round clip...

  12. #52
    Quote Originally Posted by Warfish View Post
    Sure we know.

    Just like Markey Mark, who could have stopped 9/11, if Dean had been in the Theatre, armed, this tragedy maybe would never have happened.

    They're both simply that good at what they do.
    Given the opportunity, I could have taken him out while you ran away screaming with the rest of the women....

  13. #53
    Quote Originally Posted by DeanPatsFan View Post
    Given the opportunity, I could have taken him out while you ran away screaming with the rest of the women....

  14. #54
    Quote Originally Posted by DeanPatsFan View Post
    Given the opportunity, I could have taken him out while you ran away screaming with the rest of the women....

    Nope, no bravado or braggadocio there, not at all

    OK, Superman. Please don't strain yourself patting yourself on the back - after all, I'd hate to see your critical shooting arm out of action in case you find yourself in the middle of a situation.

    "Help us, Dean Pats Fan. You are our only hope" . . .

  15. #55
    Quote Originally Posted by Warfish View Post
    More like



    But you keep posting self pics....

  16. #56
    Quote Originally Posted by doggin94it View Post

    OK, Superman. Please don't strain yourself patting yourself on the back - after all, I'd hate to see your critical shooting arm out of action in case you find yourself in the middle of a situation.

    "Help us, Dean Pats Fan. You are our only hope" . . .
    Don't worry Doggin, you stay behind the ladies skirts..

    Real men will handle the situation....

  17. #57
    Jets Insider VIP
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    Van down by the river
    Posts
    23,001
    Quote Originally Posted by Warfish View Post
    Sure we know.

    Just like Markey Mark, who could have stopped 9/11, if Dean had been in the Theatre, armed, this tragedy maybe would never have happened.

    They're both simply that good at what they do.
    Is Dean powershot guy?


    Sent from my Double-Wide using Semaphore...

  18. #58
    Quote Originally Posted by DeanPatsFan View Post
    More like



    But you keep posting self pics....
    You're a real American Hero Dean. Truly.



    Quote Originally Posted by PlumberKhan View Post
    Is Dean powershot guy?

    Sent from my Double-Wide using Semaphore...
    Isn't it obvious?

  19. #59
    All Pro
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Portland Oregon
    Posts
    5,047
    FWIW
    Earlier I was questioning whether the Shooter indeed had body armor. And I came across this article, and this picture.

    http://www.businessinsider.com/heres...shooter-2012-7




    I can't tell what all the items are, but the article lists them as ballistic helmet, goggles, a gas mask, a ballistic vest, ballistic leggings, along with throat and groin protectors and black tactical gloves, and in the top left I can see the Blackhawk fishing vest. Another photo in the article shows a police shield.

    So our shooter was well protected as far as body armor goes.

    The only question now is the quality and effectiveness of the armor he chose, just looking at the photos it looks rather bulky and it certainly likely that the armor could have been reinforced with ballistic metal plates.
    These metal plates not only help to keep bullets from penetrating the armor, but also to spread out the impact force of the bullet over the entire width of the plate.
    Without the plates which never cover the armor completely, handgun rounds can still be effective in stopping a person wearing body armor.


    This link is to a web site that is always testing bullet ballistics and such, in this link they are testing "shootpacks" (18"x18"), this is the material used for bullet proof vest. The informal results show that although the "shootpacks" will not allow a bullet to penetrate, that significant damage can still be achieved.

    http://www.theboxotruth.com/docs/bot16.htm

    Last edited by gunnails; 07-24-2012 at 01:45 PM.

  20. #60
    Quote Originally Posted by Warfish View Post
    You're a real American Hero Dean. Truly.




    Thanks, but don't worship me until I've earned it...

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Follow Us