Thread: Cimini: Vernon Carey on Jets radar if Wayne Hunter struggles in August

Cimini: Vernon Carey on Jets radar if Wayne Hunter struggles in August

http://espn.go.com/blog/new-york/jet...fensive-line-2

Player to watch: Hunter will be the hunted. The Jets made a daring and controversial decision by sticking with Hunter at right tackle, but they believe he can reinvent himself in Tony Sparano's system. A repeat of last season (8.5 sacks, 11 penalties) could throw the entire offense out of whack. Sparano is a former O-Line coach, so he's all about protecting the quarterback. He'll max-protect, giving Hunter as much help as possible. Of course, the scheme helps only so much; last season, it couldn't prevent Dolphins RT Marc Colombo from being a human turnstile. Hunter's leash is shorter than last season. The Jets have former Dolphin Vernon Carey on their short list, according to sources, and could reach out if Hunter struggles.
    To me this is a move that should have been made months ago. Carey is a good player who can play either T or G and would be a much more valuable asset to have behind or infront of Hunter than Vladimir Ducasse or some unknown from Philadelphia.

agreed, sign Carey. Hunter will get Sanchez killed.

Hall Of Fame
    If he is healthy, I do not know why he isn't on the team already. It would make sense to have the insurance policy on board already this way they can make sure he is in shape and ready to fill in.

Jets Insider VIP
    Quote Originally Posted by DDNYjets View Post
    If he is healthy, I do not know why he isn't on the team already. It would make sense to have the insurance policy on board already this way they can make sure he is in shape and ready to fill in.
    To borrow the phrase used by the anti-Edwards brigade...there must be a reason that 30 other GM's haven't signed Carey by now.

He's been a FA since the season ended I believe.

Hall Of Fame
    Charter JI Member

East Coast of the United States - subject to change on short notice
    Quote Originally Posted by 124 View Post
    http://espn.go.com/blog/new-york/jet...fensive-line-2

To me this is a move that should have been made months ago. Carey is a good player who can play either T or G and would be a much more valuable asset to have behind or infront of Hunter than Vladimir Ducasse or some unknown from Philadelphia.
    This should have been done last off-season.....

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Jordy View Post
    To borrow the phrase used by the anti-Edwards brigade...there must be a reason that 30 other GM's haven't signed Carey by now.

He's been a FA since the season ended I believe.
    He'd still be an upgrade over Hunter.

Even a mediocre Carey would not have 11 penalties and give up 8.5 sacks.

Jets Insider VIP
    Quote Originally Posted by ARodFLKeysJetsFan View Post
    This should have been done last off-season.....
    Last off-season we were foolish not to bring in Leonard Davis.

Question is, would it be foolish not to bring in Vernon Carey this off-season.

Jets Insider VIP
    This potential move has Sparano written all over it.

He obviously knows Carey well. My concern with this story coming out now is that maybe he's had a chance to watch Hunter in mini-camp and has the same concerns many of us have.

didnt our OL coach (elmo) say if people want hunter benched they would have to shoot him (elmo)
    hope it doesnt come to that

Jets Insider VIP
    Quote Originally Posted by DaBallhawk View Post
    didnt our OL coach (elmo) say if people want hunter benched they would have to shoot him (elmo)
    hope it doesnt come to that
    But if it does....it does.

Jets Insider VIP
    Board Moderator

No reason to wait, bring him into camp. There absolutely should be a competition for the RT position.

I'm praying that Smith, Landry, or Bell gets injured or plays awfully this training camp so we can bring back Leonhard.

I see this thread came before we traded for Otah. If Carey gets signed, hopefully Ducasse will be the odd man out and get cut (about a year too late- bum/bust).

Jets Insider VIP
    I think the Otah signing might put this thread on hold at least until the middle of the preseason

If Carey is still available he can be brought in quickly because he knows the Sparano/Googs offensive line system and playbook and the money can be found by releasing Hunter and Big Vlad if it is obvious that those two are still playing at 2011 levels

Jets Insider VIP
    Quote Originally Posted by SizzleBear287 View Post
    I'm praying that Smith, Landry, or Bell gets injured or plays awfully this training camp so we can bring back Leonhard.

I see this thread came before we traded for Otah. If Carey gets signed, hopefully Ducasse will be the odd man out and get cut (about a year too late- bum/bust).
    why would you be praying for an injury to either Bell or Landry without seeing either of them play even in TC?

I can understand Smith because we've seen enough of him being outrun by offensive tackles

Quote Originally Posted by SizzleBear287 View Post

so you're praying a that a current JET player to be injured to bring back a player that has had his season shortened bc of injuries...

landry > Bell > leonard

I feel about Leonhard the way Vin (or is it Jordy now?) feels about Braylon Edwards- we have nothing to lose by bringing him in- regardless of circumstance.

Jets Insider VIP
    but you'd have to agree that praying for injuries to three Jet players to bring back an already injured player is somewhat strange, no?

the fact that the jets signed a guy like otah means that they are at least aware of the oline problems and won't let them get so far along before doing something about them. imo schitty dropped the ball first by not making sure the offense was ready to play and then by not making sure his unit had the depth. the whole mangold/baxter issue was embarassing and then not helping out hunter just made it that much worse.