Enjoy an Ads-Free Jets Insider - Become a Jets Insider VIP!

Thread: Chad Ochocinco changes last name

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like

Chad Ochocinco changes last name

Revis is probably thinking; "A little late... no?"

Chad Ochocinco changes last name

Updated: July 23, 2012, 1:40 PM ET
    ESPN.com news services

Chad Ochocinco's new wife had no interest in taking a numerical last name, so the outspoken Miami Dolphins wideout is back to being just Chad Johnson.

Walker This time, Chad Ochocinco -- or should we say Johnson -- is not pulling a stunt. The wideout is simply trying to get back to his roots, writes James Walker. Blog

OCNNReport.com reported Monday that Johnson officially changed his name back due in part to his marriage to Evelyn Lozada. The pair preferred Lozada's last name to be a real name rather than the gimmick last name Johnson had adopted several years ago, the report said.

Johnson changed his name on his popular Twitter account weeks ago not long after signing with the Dolphins.

"I'm refocused and locked in. Time to get back to the old me," he told ESPN.com by phone Monday, adding that his uniform will say 'Johnson.' "I'm just doing it for the marriage. It has nothing to do with football. Ochocinco is still in me. It's just my middle name."

The 34-year-old wideout has made mention of dropping the "Ochocinco" moniker several times previously, including during a January 2011 appearance on ESPN's "NFL Live." He also said before a regular-season game in January 2010 that he would change his name back to Johnson if Jets cornerback Darrelle Revis shut him down. After tweaking his knee in pregame warm-ups, he was held to zero catches for zero yards in the game. When the teams met again a week later in the playoffs, he had just two catches for 28 yards.

He kept his name but later said the comments were made in fun and he was never serious about a name change.

The wideout originally changed his legal surname from Johnson to Ochocinco before the 2008 season in order to wear his nickname on his jersey.

Johnson originally gave himself the Ocho moniker in 2006 as an allusion to his No. 85.

Johnson was a six-time Pro Bowler for the Cincinnati Bengals and averaged nearly 80 receptions for seven seasons. Ochocinco never lived up to those expectations following the name change, averaging just 51.75 receptions in four seasons, including a career-low 15 for the New England Patriots in 2011.

Johnson signed a one-year deal with the Dolphins in June after being cut by New England.

Information from ESPN.com's James Walker and Lynn Hoppes and The Associated Press contributed to this report.

http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/81...-johnson-again
    Last edited by crossfire; 07-23-2012 at 01:52 PM.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Oh, you beat me to it, you bastard!

What are the chances, he didn't receive #85 from the Dolphins, and that was the driving force behind him changing his name back?

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by John_0515 View Post
    Oh, you beat me to it, you bastard!

What are the chances, he didn't receive #85 from the Dolphins, and that was the driving force behind him changing his name back?
    chances not that good, John

Dolphins roster shows him still with the Ochostinko name but at #85

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by sg3 View Post
    chances not that good, John

Dolphins roster shows him still with the Ochostinko name but at #85
    Then maybe he finally grew up? LOL.

I always liked him. I didn't think he was a cancer like some other WRs. He's actually a very good person.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    I know it is a slow time, but we care because????

Practice Squad
    Post Thanks / Like
    next season he'll change it to "outtaworko"

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Sign the beast!

Oh wait...

Practice Squad
    Post Thanks / Like
    He's finally making good on changing his name if Revis shut him down back in 2010....

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Joking aside it is sad to see how some of the mouthy guys end up their careers.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by EM31 View Post
    Joking aside it is sad to see how some of the mouthy guys end up their careers.
    T.O. getting cut from an Arena League team is the fall from grace that movies are made of.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by GreenWave View Post
    T.O. getting cut from an Arena League team is the fall from grace that movies are made of.
    And tweeting said news out to his much reduced list of seven followers.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Flymax View Post
    next season he'll change it to "outtaworko"
    Chad CeroCero

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Loved watching him play when he was Johnson. Became sad to watch when he changed to Ochocinco and started selling the brand instead of trying to win football games. This is probably his swan song, rotting on a team that's more likely to play a glorified corpse (Garrard) or a Texas A&M WR than the best QB on the roster.

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    I've always enjoyed Chad Johnson as a WR. Very entertaining, but, he's not a man of his word.

After Revis completely shut down Chad Johnson during week 17 (2009), holding Johnson to 0 receptions for 0 yards and 0 TD's. Chad Johnson, made it known, that if Revis could own him (yet again), but this time during the playoffs; that he'd officially change his name from Ochocinco back to Johnson right away. Revis once again, completely eliminated Johnson from the game. Holding him to only 2 receptions for 28 receiving yards and 0 TD's.

After only being able to combine for 2 receptions for 28 receiving yards and 0 TD's during back to back games (weeks) against Darrelle Revis, Chad Johnson should have changed his name back to Chad Johnson, a long time ago. He's not a man of his word.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by John_0515 View Post
    Then maybe he finally grew up? LOL.

I always liked him. I didn't think he was a cancer like some other WRs. He's actually a very good person.
    Truth

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by crossfire View Post
    "I'm refocused and locked in. Time to get back to the old me," he told ESPN.com by phone Monday, adding that his uniform will say 'Johnson.' "I'm just doing it for the marriage. It has nothing to do with football. Ochocinco is still in me. It's just my middle name."
    ahaha... this dude is off the chain...