Page 12 of 16 FirstFirst ... 21011121314 ... LastLast
Results 221 to 240 of 315

Thread: Jets trade for T Jeff Otah

  1. #221
    Quote Originally Posted by sg3 View Post
    we really shouldn't complain much about chowd trolls...

    we have our very own SOJF trolls like Mainejet, rextilleon, mudcat, jetrider, copernicus, bigdanNJ et al that are, frankly far far worse than anything the Patri*ts can produce
    Please tell what I'm missing.

    I've lived through and stuck with this team through incompetent moves like moving from Shea to share with the Giants, Hess, Gutman, , Joe Walton, Coslet, Kotite, Johnny Mitchell, Bubby Brister, Neil O'Donnell, Scott Frost in the 3d round, Adrian Clarke, Dorian Bose, Ric Terry, Herm and Hackett etc. All HIGHLY questionable moves over a long period of time that proved to be dead wrong. The fact that the JETS havent gone to a SB in my life time reinforces this.

    Fast foward to the recent past with Woody, Tann and Rex. Woody stomps his feet and wants Bret Favre which made no sense on paper because we had just used a 2nd round pick on Kellen Clemens to see if he could progress into a starting QB. Favre turns out to be a disaster and we never really give Clemens a full shot. Then Tann fires Mangini and does a complete 180 in hiring Rex where all of a sudden the philosophy of the organization goes from tight lipped to transparent. Rex comes in a boast and brags to the point where many believe the JETS are a circus and it is detrimental to his rookie QB but they win so all is ignored.

    Failures under Rex include him guaranteeing multiple Super Bowl wins, a productive Vernon Gholston, numerous arrests from players, ignoring the offense, making known malcontent Santonio Holmes a captain, a defense that looks great on paper but rarely comes up with the big stop, and admitting that he lost the team after boasting and advertising how it is one of his highest attributes as a coach.

    Season three ends in the midst of controversy, three game losing streak, team looked disinterested, Santonio Holmes being benched, and numerous bizarre news conferences where Tanny and Rex look as if neither want to answer any question to the fan base and when they did it came off as lies.

    Fast foward to the present and the JETS give up ANOTHER mid round draft pick for a player they really didnt need in Tebow, still have Hunter, use their first round pick on a player who quit when things get tough for himin college, and have had multiple incidents where Santonio Holmes has acted inappropriately since April.

    All of this and you dont think its appropriate to at least question this organization?

    What am I missing here?
    Last edited by copernicus; 07-24-2012 at 11:56 AM.

  2. #222
    Hall of Fame
    Charter JI Member

    Join Date
    May 1999
    Location
    Atlanta via NJ
    Posts
    8,263
    ... ... excellent low risk/ high reward move ... ...


    ... the FO know that we are a RT away from being competitive for a championship ...










    l_j_r

  3. #223
    All Pro
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Philadelphia
    Posts
    7,078
    Quote Originally Posted by Kentucky Jet View Post
    and you are saying that the Jets FO were dumb and did not have his knee cleared medically? Please use your great expertise in these matters and contact Woody Johnson and demand that REX and T be fired immediately and that you be hired as their replacement! Thank you and keep drinking the Kool Aide!
    Teams don't have their docs examine a player before the trade since the player is still part of the other team. But you already knew that right?

    If you're going to call someone out as a know-it-all, you should at least know SOMETHING, especially the most basic of concepts.

  4. #224
    Quote Originally Posted by Kentucky Jet View Post
    and you are saying that the Jets FO were dumb and did not have his knee cleared medically? Please use your great expertise in these matters and contact Woody Johnson and demand that REX and T be fired immediately and that you be hired as their replacement! Thank you and keep drinking the Kool Aide!
    The jets signed Landry and he could not pass a physical, still can't 4 months later. Teams sign players who are hurt all the time. The pats just picked up Ballard and he can't play until next year. They signed Markus Zusevics as an UDFA and he won't pass a physical till next year either. Otah may be able to play this year, why not sign him. The money in nfl contracts dosen't have to be paid it the player is not on the team in September.


    NO, he has not been cleared to play by the panthers, that is why it is a conditional pick. What part of that are you having trouble with. Even if the guy can't pass the physical now, they can PUP hm till the season starts and make a determination then.

  5. #225
    Quote Originally Posted by copernicus View Post
    Then Tann fires Mangini and does a complete 180 in hiring Rex where all of a sudden the philosophy of the organization goes from tight lipped to transparent. Rex comes in a boast and brags to the point where many believe the JETS are a circus and it is detrimental to his rookie QB but they win so all is ignored.

    Failures under Rex include him guaranteeing multiple Super Bowl wins, a productive Vernon Gholston, numerous arrests from players, ignoring the offense, making known malcontent Santonio Holmes a captain, a defense that looks great on paper but rarely comes up with the big stop, and admitting that he lost the team after boasting and advertising how it is one of his highest attributes as a coach.

    Season three ends in the midst of controversy, three game losing streak, team looked disinterested, Santonio Holmes being benched, and numerous bizarre news conferences where Tanny and Rex look as if neither want to answer any question to the fan base and when they did it came off as lies.

    Fast foward to the present and the JETS give up ANOTHER mid round draft pick for a player they really didnt need in Tebow, still have Hunter, use their first round pick on a player who quit when things get tough for himin college, and have had multiple incidents where Santonio Holmes has acted inappropriately since April.

    All of this and you dont think its appropriate to at least question this organization?

    What am I missing here?
    so are we just gonna willfully ignore the Jets two trips to the AFC Championship in the first two seasons of the Rex/Sanchez era?

    after all the failure and losing this franchise has gone through, are we gonna look at a 8-8 season as the ultimate embarrassment?


    because if the new standard for the Jets is that it's "Super Bowl or Bust" and a .500 season is a complete failure, then i'd say Rex Ryan has done a damn fine job of changing this team's history and culture

  6. #226
    All League
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    Hoboken
    Posts
    3,992
    Pretty good write-up on what a no-cost big upside trade it was.

    https://www.profootballfocus.com/blo...ones-a-winner/

  7. #227
    Jets Insider VIP
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Electric Avenue
    Posts
    26,639
    Quote Originally Posted by patman View Post
    The jets signed Landry and he could not pass a physical, still can't 4 months later. Teams sign players who are hurt all the time. The pats just picked up Ballard and he can't play until next year. They signed Markus Zusevics as an UDFA and he won't pass a physical till next year either. Otah may be able to play this year, why not sign him. The money in nfl contracts dosen't have to be paid it the player is not on the team in September.


    NO, he has not been cleared to play by the panthers, that is why it is a conditional pick. What part of that are you having trouble with. Even if the guy can't pass the physical now, they can PUP hm till the season starts and make a determination then.
    The difference was that Landry was signed as a FA. The Jets signed him with full knowledge and disclosure. Any risk is on them.

    The Jets can nullify the Otah trade if he doesn't pass their physical. They may choose not to. But they have that option.

  8. #228
    Quote Originally Posted by copernicus View Post
    Please tell what I'm missing.

    I've lived through and stuck with this team through incompetent moves like moving from Shea to share with the Giants, Hess, Gutman, , Joe Walton, Coslet, Kotite, Johnny Mitchell, Bubby Brister, Neil O'Donnell, Scott Frost in the 3d round, Adrian Clarke, Dorian Bose, Ric Terry, Herm and Hackett etc. All HIGHLY questionable moves over a long period of time that proved to be dead wrong. The fact that the JETS havent gone to a SB in my life time reinforces this.

    Fast foward to the recent past with Woody, Tann and Rex. Woody stomps his feet and wants Bret Favre which made no sense on paper because we had just used a 2nd round pick on Kellen Clemens to see if he could progress into a starting QB. Favre turns out to be a disaster and we never really give Clemens a full shot. Then Tann fires Mangini and does a complete 180 in hiring Rex where all of a sudden the philosophy of the organization goes from tight lipped to transparent. Rex comes in a boast and brags to the point where many believe the JETS are a circus and it is detrimental to his rookie QB but they win so all is ignored.

    Failures under Rex include him guaranteeing multiple Super Bowl wins, a productive Vernon Gholston, numerous arrests from players, ignoring the offense, making known malcontent Santonio Holmes a captain, a defense that looks great on paper but rarely comes up with the big stop, and admitting that he lost the team after boasting and advertising how it is one of his highest attributes as a coach.

    Season three ends in the midst of controversy, three game losing streak, team looked disinterested, Santonio Holmes being benched, and numerous bizarre news conferences where Tanny and Rex look as if neither want to answer any question to the fan base and when they did it came off as lies.

    Fast foward to the present and the JETS give up ANOTHER mid round draft pick for a player they really didnt need in Tebow, still have Hunter, use their first round pick on a player who quit when things get tough for himin college, and have had multiple incidents where Santonio Holmes has acted inappropriately since April.

    All of this and you dont think its appropriate to at least question this organization?

    What am I missing here?
    I don't understand fans that can't take criticism of their team. And think that fans that disagree with them are not real fans.

  9. #229
    Practice Squad
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    VANDERBILT UNIVERSITY
    Posts
    495
    Quote Originally Posted by Dirtstar View Post
    so are we just gonna willfully ignore the Jets two trips to the AFC Championship in the first two seasons of the Rex/Sanchez era?

    after all the failure and losing this franchise has gone through, are we gonna look at a 8-8 season as the ultimate embarrassment?


    because if the new standard for the Jets is that it's "Super Bowl or Bust" and a .500 season is a complete failure, then i'd say Rex Ryan has done a damn fine job of changing this team's history and culture
    Well said. During the Rex era, the Jets have 4 playoff wins and 0 Super Bowls. The Patriots have 2 playoff wins and 0 Super Bowls. The Jets are 1-0 against the Patriots in the playoffs. And they have arguably the best player in the league at the most important position on the team.

  10. #230
    Banned
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Location
    Houston, TX
    Posts
    52,055
    Quote Originally Posted by DBarrett=all<3 View Post
    Well said. During the Rex era, the Jets have 4 playoff wins and 0 Super Bowls. The Patriots have 2 playoff wins and 0 Super Bowls. The Jets are 1-0 against the Patriots in the playoffs.
    Without a doubt, the Jets are a much better team than the Pats during the Rex era.

    Funny damn stuff right there.

  11. #231
    Quote Originally Posted by lamont_jordan_rules View Post
    ... ... excellent low risk/ high reward move ... ...


    ... the FO know that we are a RT away from being competitive for a championship ...










    l_j_r
    low risk signing but do you really think that if the front office thought a right tackle was the missing piece, they would sign a guy who's played 4 games over the last 2 years and still has swelling in his knee?

    I would think that if I were GM and I were one player away from my plan, that wouldn't be my first choice.

    It's a low risk pickup but that's all it is. It's not the key to a Super Bowl.

  12. #232
    Rookie
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Hell's Kitchen
    Posts
    696
    Quote Originally Posted by DBarrett=all<3 View Post
    Well said. During the Rex era, the Jets have 4 playoff wins and 0 Super Bowls. The Patriots have 2 playoff wins and 0 Super Bowls. The Jets are 1-0 against the Patriots in the playoffs. And they have arguably the best player in the league at the most important position on the team.

    The Jet standard seems to be getting to the playoffs, winning a couple games and beating the Pats.

    WOW

    Patriots have retooled their team on the run over the past couple of years. No down years with 8 wins or less.

    Good luck making the playoffs again this season and beating the Pats.

    Wishing both teams good health and may the better team win.

  13. #233
    Hall of Fame
    Charter JI Member

    Join Date
    May 1999
    Location
    Atlanta via NJ
    Posts
    8,263
    Quote Originally Posted by copernicus View Post
    Please tell what I'm missing.

    ... basically you have reached a point where you are viewing everything about this team as "glass half empty" ... sounds like the years have jaded your thoughts ... maybe try to step back a moment and try to give the positive view a chance ...

    ... responding to a couple of your thoughts under the current staff ...


    Failures under Rex include him guaranteeing multiple Super Bowl wins
    ... when rex came on we were a team lacking in self-confidence ... rex came running in like a bull in a china shop and knocked down all of those china plates filled with fear ...

    ... the SB guarantee eventually took on a life of it's own and took away from the general message of confidence he was trying to instill in his team ...

    ... he has realized this, admitted his mistakes with that, and adjusted his behavior this season ...

    ... i am fully onboard with his general message though ... of - i believe in my team ...

    ... i also love how he takes all the blame for things going wrong and places it squarely on his own shoulders ...


    a productive Vernon Gholston,
    ... this is a non issue ...
    ... rex had this player already on the roster and tried his best to get him to show life ... vernon didn't ... he then was cut ...


    numerous arrests from players,
    ... i'm sure arrests of players while they are jets is no more / no less than average of other teams as well ...

    ignoring the offense,
    ... regarding free agents/ draft picks/ staffing moves offense may not have had as much focus as defense (i'll assume this is true but have not researched it to verify) ... however the shift from shotty to sparano is a huge change ... will it have different results? this remains to be seen ... but it certainly is not "ignoring" ...


    making known malcontent Santonio Holmes a captain,
    ... this turned out to be a mistake. i believe the intent was good ... let's see if this will cause a very talented player to open up his eyes and look outside of just "what's best for me" ... it didn't work ... rex addressed it this season by removed the C from his players ...

    a defense that looks great on paper but rarely comes up with the big stop,
    ... the D has finished 1st, 3rd, and 5th the last 3 years ... using the D as an argument against rex really emphasizes that you are being biased in your viewpoint ...

    ... am i saying that the D did no wrong? of course not ... there were tons of times last season on 3rd and long or in big moments (as you state) that they didn't quite get to the qb or a rb was able to turn the corner on the edge of the field and we didn't quite seem fast enough...

    a team that finished 8-8 certainly had many lowlights to their season ... using the 1st & 3rd round picks on QC & DD should improve pressure on opposing qb's and ilb speed to the corner ... meaning the FO has seen what you and i have seen ... and taken steps to improve them going into 2012 ...


    and admitting that he lost the team after boasting and advertising how it is one of his highest attributes as a coach.
    ... this is again rex taking the blame for the failures and placing it squarely on his shoulders ... not trying to blame anyone else ... he saw something under him not done as well in 2012 as it was in his previous years, took the blame for it, and has taken action to be more involved in the day to day life of his players ...


    ... i'm going to stop here ...

    ... see if you can release some of the pent up anger against your team somewhere else in your life ... take a deep breath ... sit back ... and say ... i' m going to give this season a chance and see what happens ... you just might surprise yourself and enjoy it! ...


    (add to all that the position that was

    in the biggest need of an overhaul (RT) may have just received a huge boost ... which is what this thread is about ... this move is nothing but good news ... )

    l_j_r

  14. #234
    Quote Originally Posted by copernicus View Post
    Please tell what I'm missing.

    I've lived through and stuck with this team through incompetent moves like moving from Shea to share with the Giants, Hess, Gutman, , Joe Walton, Coslet, Kotite, Johnny Mitchell, Bubby Brister, Neil O'Donnell, Scott Frost in the 3d round, Adrian Clarke, Dorian Bose, Ric Terry, Herm and Hackett etc. All HIGHLY questionable moves over a long period of time that proved to be dead wrong. The fact that the JETS havent gone to a SB in my life time reinforces this.

    Fast foward to the recent past with Woody, Tann and Rex. Woody stomps his feet and wants Bret Favre which made no sense on paper because we had just used a 2nd round pick on Kellen Clemens to see if he could progress into a starting QB. Favre turns out to be a disaster and we never really give Clemens a full shot. Then Tann fires Mangini and does a complete 180 in hiring Rex where all of a sudden the philosophy of the organization goes from tight lipped to transparent. Rex comes in a boast and brags to the point where many believe the JETS are a circus and it is detrimental to his rookie QB but they win so all is ignored.

    Failures under Rex include him guaranteeing multiple Super Bowl wins, a productive Vernon Gholston, numerous arrests from players, ignoring the offense, making known malcontent Santonio Holmes a captain, a defense that looks great on paper but rarely comes up with the big stop, and admitting that he lost the team after boasting and advertising how it is one of his highest attributes as a coach.

    Season three ends in the midst of controversy, three game losing streak, team looked disinterested, Santonio Holmes being benched, and numerous bizarre news conferences where Tanny and Rex look as if neither want to answer any question to the fan base and when they did it came off as lies.

    Fast foward to the present and the JETS give up ANOTHER mid round draft pick for a player they really didnt need in Tebow, still have Hunter, use their first round pick on a player who quit when things get tough for himin college, and have had multiple incidents where Santonio Holmes has acted inappropriately since April.

    All of this and you dont think its appropriate to at least question this organization?

    What am I missing here?
    I think your crazy this has been the best 3 year run in team history 2 afc championship games and an 8-8 season. If your a fan as long as you say then 8-8 seasons were huge wins for us. coslet/blair thomas - the lost kotie years those were bad times and bad drafts we will see if coples is a sud or a dud soon enough but i go on record that i was all for him over the chandler jones big time the only guy that i thought was decastro but a guard that high is always a reach Rex Ryan wiil go down as the best coach this team ever had and this year will be a huge and the band wagon will fill up fast just know i am driving it . 6 weeks till open day and i cant wait

  15. #235
    All League
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    The Bronx, USA
    Posts
    4,707
    Quote Originally Posted by PatsFanTX View Post
    Without a doubt, the Jets are a much better team than the Pats during the Rex era.

    Funny damn stuff right there.
    Just curious, who won the biggest game they played in the Rex era? Ok, very good. Let the excuses begin

  16. #236
    Quote Originally Posted by Dirtstar View Post
    so are we just gonna willfully ignore the Jets two trips to the AFC Championship in the first two seasons of the Rex/Sanchez era?

    after all the failure and losing this franchise has gone through, are we gonna look at a 8-8 season as the ultimate embarrassment?


    because if the new standard for the Jets is that it's "Super Bowl or Bust" and a .500 season is a complete failure, then i'd say Rex Ryan has done a damn fine job of changing this team's history and culture
    Definitely not ignored. Part of winning is also being lucky, not diminishing the team's accomplishments in years 1 and 2 BUT we did lose a few games where the team was flat (that is on rex) and caught HUGE breaks from other teams both years just getting in. Once we got in, we dominated and that can never be questioned.....
    Last edited by copernicus; 07-24-2012 at 01:04 PM.

  17. #237
    Hall of Fame
    Charter JI Member

    Join Date
    May 1999
    Location
    Atlanta via NJ
    Posts
    8,263
    Quote Originally Posted by CleatMarks View Post
    low risk signing but do you really think that if the front office thought a right tackle was the missing piece, they would sign a guy who's played 4 games over the last 2 years and still has swelling in his knee?

    I would think that if I were GM and I were one player away from my plan, that wouldn't be my first choice.

    It's a low risk pickup but that's all it is. It's not the key to a Super Bowl.

    ... the key to the superbowl is sanchez improving at least a reasonable amount this season ...

    ... that can be helped if his OL plays better ...

    ... RT is the weakest link and they just found a creative way to possibly address it ... i'm very happy about this ...

    ... it shows the FO knows RT needs work ... will it work out? it's a gamble (otherwise he wouldn't have been available) ... does this mean they are done looking for other options? ... not a chance ...

    ... does some other question marks have to turn in our favor? yes ...

    ... do our key players need to remain relatively healthy? yes ...

    ... do our rookies need to be able to make some contribution this year? yes ...

    ... if Otah works out at RT do i think we have a chance at the ring? Y-E-S ...





    l_j_r

  18. #238
    Quote Originally Posted by BRONX JET View Post
    Just curious, who won the biggest game they played in the Rex era? Ok, very good. Let the excuses begin

    The Patriots were interested in a playoff rematch to even the score last season, but apparently the Jets had other plans?

    I suggest rooting for the Jets to continue to miss the playoffs, that'll ensure that brag remains intact.

  19. #239
    All League
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    California
    Posts
    3,548
    Why are all these trolls in the Otah trade thread trolling? Cant even read about a Jets trade without the trolls taking over. wow

  20. #240
    Jets Insider VIP
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    SoFla
    Posts
    18,326
    Quote Originally Posted by jzelada121 View Post
    Why are all these trolls in the Otah trade thread trolling? Cant even read about a Jets trade without the trolls taking over. wow
    It's JI. You should know how it goes here.

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Follow Us