Page 15 of 16 FirstFirst ... 513141516 LastLast

Thread: Jets trade for T Jeff Otah

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Ray Ray19 View Post
    Funny, you didn't think much of it when Tx posted the same crap.
    I totally agree with Cleat, AFCCG losses mean absolutely nothing.

Nice that the Pats are 6-1 in all the AFCCG's they have played.

All Pro
    Quote Originally Posted by Limolady View Post
    You mean too fat to be a Center? (-: Isn't Mangold like 6'5"? Whatever, the team needs beef on the O line and Otah looks the part, I say give him a chance to play it.

Edit - Mangold is 6 4 and 307 pounds. Still need a viable backup at Center.
    I think they'll try everyone at center this preseason. If they don't find anyone is viable, they will sign someones cut. I mean a real bona fide center this time. I sure hope they learned their lesson here.

Hall of Fame
    Charter JI Member

Everybody is screaming for Hunter & Ducasse to be replaced. Now everybody wants to complain about the team trying to replace them?

... now - now ... some of us are happy as a pig in $h*t over this ...

l_j_r

All Pro
    Quote Originally Posted by PatsFanTX View Post

If AFCCG losses mean nothing, then SB loses mean nothing either. How pathetic that only the games you've won are important. You lost. You didn't win anything.

Quote Originally Posted by NY's stepchild View Post
    If AFCCG losses mean nothing, then SB loses mean nothing either. How pathetic that only the games you've won are important. You lost. You didn't win anything.
    Less pathetic than bragging about games you lose. That's just sad.

Over the past 3 years, the Pats have 3 AFCE titles, an AFC Conference chamionship and another Super Bowl appearance.

The Jets have none of those.

How can you say with a straight face that the two teams have been "comparable" over the last 3 years?
    Very simple, while Pets were getting bounced in 09 and 10, the Jets were winning in the playoffs including beating the pats in 10

You mean too fat to be a Center? (-: Isn't Mangold like 6'5"? Whatever, the team needs beef on the O line and Otah looks the part, I say give him a chance to play it.

Edit - Mangold is 6 4 and 307 pounds. Still need a viable backup at Center.

Pretty sure Caleb Schlauderaff is the backup...Jets had him playing C in practice last season

Kroul Rocks On as Candidate for Backup Center

Posted by Randy Lange on June 22, 2012 – 10:17 am

On the surface, the Jets’ backup center spot could be viewed as similar to when Colin Baxter was Nick Mangold’s immediate backup for a short span early last season.

But while the Jets’ current reserves — Caleb Schlauderaff and Matt Kroul — have no pro regular-season snaps on their résumés, which is the same as Baxter had when he arrived via waivers last September, both Jets have had more pro practice reps at this stage of their careers.

For Kroul in particular, this is a crucial offseason and training camp ahead. And the trenchman from the nation’s heartland is eager to proceed with this latest development on his unpredictable pro career path.

“It’s going well,” he said at the end of last week’s full-squad minicamp. “I’ve got Nick. He helps out a lot, and that’s kind of where I’m focused now is center. In drills I’m with Nick, in team periods I’m coming in behind him. He’s a good asset.”

Kroul’s assets never used to included snapping a football between his legs unerringly into a quarterback’s hands. He had been a starting defensive tackle at the University of Iowa and at Mount Vernon (Iowa) High School, where his offensive exposure came as a two-year, 2,000-yard, 36-TD running back. He came to the Jets as an undrafted DT in 2009.

His transition to offense began last July after the lockout ended.

“It was guard in camp, and then I played scout center all last season,” he said. “I’ve pretty much been center these first three phases [of the offseason schedule].”

What are the toughest tasks for him as a center?

“Just seeing the entire field, reading defenses,” he said. “As a defensive player, you’re very focused on one guy for sure, maybe two or three. And now your vision’s broadened to reading maybe eight guys. That’s probably the hardest thing and the biggest difference.”

And so the snapping thing is … a snap?

“Sometimes it’s tough, being a two or three [center] because there are three or four different quarterbacks,” he replied. “Every quarterback’s kind of different and you’ve just got to get enough snaps with those guys.”

Besides Mangold’s guiding hand, there has been a changeup in coaching styles with new OL coach Dave DeGuglielmo.

“He’s good. It’s a different style. I had kind of the same thing in college,” Kroul recalled. “We had a kind of quiet guy in Coach Callahan and now ‘Guge’ is a different coaching style. But offensive line is offensive line. A few different techniques here and there, different ways of coaching stuff, and that’s the way it’s going to be.”

That may also sum up Kroul’s philosophy. He’s a tough, durable player (he set the Hawkeyes record by starting 50 consecutive games). He’s got leadership skills as a former college captain. He’s got the size at 6’3″ and 300 pounds. He’s clearly smart and versatile. And there’s something about him that has prompted head coach Rex Ryan and his evolving staff to bring back the now 26-year-old “kid.”

“I think Matt has that kind of ability where he can be in that mix,” Ryan said last summer in revealing that Kroul was not only an offensive lineman now but a center. “I’m excited about him. I think he can do it.”

Ryan said last week that Schlauderaff, the guard who came to the Jets last September in a trade with the Packers, is the first backup. And fans will remember in that difficult primetime loss to the Ravens that left guard Matt Slauson spelled Baxter at center for a few midgame series.

The depth chart behind Mangold will sort itself out at Cortland beginning in five weeks. But Kroul has the physicality and the mentality to stick on the roster this time around.

“I just went home one weekend, Memorial Day, and that was it. I’ve been here playing ball. That’s about it,” he said of his offseason schedule. “It’s exciting every day you’re competing. Now it’s almost time to go into camp ready to rock.”

http://blog.newyorkjets.com/tag/caleb-schlauderaff/

Quote Originally Posted by patman View Post
    If he plays in ten games at a high level it is a huge steal. All this signing signifies is a shot in the dark. No jet fan should think that this guy is going to start 10 games and play well. If he does, then it will be a pleasant surprise.

And FS is the weakest position on the jets. Hunter had a bad year last year, but the jets don't have a FS. The jets are fortunate to have Revis and Cro at corner, which is akin to keeping a TE in to help hunter.
    How about we allow for the additions in FA and the draft get into camp before you start rambling cluelessly about the Jets roster.

How about we allow for the additions in FA and the draft get into camp before you start rambling cluelessly about the Jets roster.
    I am not clueless. The jets FA and Draft picks may very well work out could all end up being probowl players. But as of today, with what we observe I think FS is the biggest need. You on the other hand, don't believe the jets have a weakness that needs addressing.

Jets Insider VIP
    Quote Originally Posted by C Mart View Post

I reached out to a league executive to get his thoughts on Otah and the Jets pickup:

“I think the player was going to get moved and if the Panthers couldn't, they could have released him before they got camp started - maybe the Jets could have gotten him for free.

Of course. Along with 30 other teams if he hit the market. The trade gave the Jets exclusive rights and if Otah doesn't pan out, it will cost the Jets zero.

What a dumb comment by the "league executive" who obviously needed to remain anonymous.

Quote Originally Posted by patman View Post
    I am not clueless. The jets FA and Draft picks may very well work out could all end up being probowl players. But as of today, with what we observe I think FS is the biggest need. You on the other hand, don't believe the jets have a weakness that needs addressing.

You said the Jets don't have a FS

Now you're saying I don't think the Jets have any weakness

The **** just keeps flying out of your ass

I'm saying the Jets did address a position that needed to be addressed in FA and in the draft, let's see what they have.

Jets Insider VIP

The children of El Salvador thank the PASTS* for all the tee shirts and hats for the SB losses.

Jets Insider VIP
    Matt Foley, motivational speaker that lives in a van down by the river. Classic Farley and what a shame he fell under the SNL curse and died way too young.

Anyway, why shouldn't the team take a shot? Everybody is screaming for Hunter & Ducasse to be replaced. Now everybody wants to complain about the team trying to replace them?

Men, lol.

BTW does anyone know if this guy can play Center? Jets still need a viable backup there.
    Sexist.

Jets Insider VIP
    Quote Originally Posted by sg3 View Post
    Why would you take the best RT on the roster and make him into a backup center???

Sent from my SGH-T679 using Tapatalk 2
    I don't know but something tells me there may be a monkey involved.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by NY's stepchild View Post
    Seriously?

In the last 10 years, the Pats are 4-1 in AFCCG's and 3-2 in the Super Bowl.

In the last 30 years, the Jets are 0-4 in AFCCG's.

You don't see the difference there?

Jets Insider VIP
    Funny, you didn't think much of it when Tx posted the same crap.

Suck it, troll.
    Stay classy Ray.

Jets Insider VIP
    Charter JI Member

And 0-2 against the 10-6,9-7 Giants in the Super Bowl..

Quote Originally Posted by southparkcpa View Post
    The children of El Salvador thank the PASTS* for all the tee shirts and hats for the SB losses.
    As do the children of Zambia, Romania, Armenia, and Nicaragua who got the Jets stuff

I know it's funny but that stuff always goes to poor kids. Somewhere around the world, some kid is wearing a Bernie Kosar AFCC Championship shirt while he runs around with his arms spread out like a Jet

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Savage69 View Post
    And 0-2 against the 10-6,9-7 Giants in the Super Bowl..

No, wait, I can tell