Page 3 of 16 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread: Jets trade for T Jeff Otah

Jets Insider VIP
    In Morris Co., N.J. at the right end of a Browning 12 gauge, with Nick to my left n Rex to my right.
    Quote Originally Posted by BRONX JET View Post
    Evan mentioned to Beningo that Otah missed 12 games last year and Joe responded " that's ok, Hunter missed 16.".
    lol.

Hall Of Fame
    I suppose anything is better than Hunter. Hopefully he is physically able to compete.

Since we traded for him, I assume we are paying his $2.35 million dollar salary. So, if I am not mistaken, we have $4.85 million tied up at the RT position. $4.85 million for THESE two guys. Can't help but think if we got rid of Hunter when we could have what we could have gotten for $4.85 million this year.

Jets Insider VIP
    Roto:

Jets acquired OT Jeff Otah from the Panthers in exchange for a conditional draft choice.

Fare thee well, Wayne Hunter.
    LOL

Hall Of Fame
    Quote Originally Posted by NY2FLDWC85 View Post
    He's an 85 rating in Madden when compared to Hunter who's a 72 overall. It'll be fun using the Jets this up coming season.
    I bet he has a great Sports Science segment as well.

Jets Insider VIP
    Board Moderator

Nice, like this move. If we get adequate play out of our RT the offense could be pretty decent.

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Quote Originally Posted by BRONX JET View Post
    Evan mentioned to Beningo that Otah missed 12 games last year and Joe responded " that's ok, Hunter missed 16.".
    lolz!

Hall Of Fame
    Quote Originally Posted by Jordy View Post
    Tannenbaum didn't want to be upstaged by Glen Sather today.

By the way, Otah played with Revis at Pitt in 2006.
    LOL. Sather wins this one. That was robbery.

Otah's missed 30 of his last 34 games but I love the move...even though he has bad knees, this position needed a desperate upgrade this offseason and if healthy, he definitely is one. Good work, Mr.T. Excited to see this guy in training camp.

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Can anyone see Hunter, Ducasse and Otah all on the roster this year?

Jets Insider VIP
    Quote Originally Posted by jetstream23 View Post
    Can anyone see Hunter, Ducasse and Otah all on the roster this year?
    not I sir

and we still have to see if Austin and/or Schlauderoff (sp) have anything to show

Practice Squad
    According to this link, Otah outplayed Woody on average during '08 and '09. Given that these were Otah's first two years in the league, pretty impressive.

http://home.comcast.net/~fwroy/NFL%20OL%20Talent.html

Jets Insider VIP
    New York Jets fans can rejoice. The infamous Wayne Hunter era as New York's starting right tackle is presumably over.

The Jets acquired Jeff Otah from the Carolina Panthers in exchange for a conditional draft choice on Monday. Otah has 29 career starts and is talented enough to replace Hunter as New York's starting right tackle in Week 1.

Many were dumbfounded that the Jets did nothing to replace Hunter this offseason after Hunter struggled mightily in 2011. Jets starting quarterback Mark Sanchez had little protection on the right side and was sacked a career-high 39 times last season.

Otah is a solid player and a definite upgrade over Hunter and backup Vladimir Ducasse, who has been slow to develop.

The Jets are obviously tired of waiting for Ducasse and can no longer get by with Hunter as the starter. The Otah trade could quietly become one of the smartest moves in the AFC East this offseason.

Hall of Fame
    Charter JI Member

Quote Originally Posted by NY2FLDWC85 View Post
    He's an 85 rating in Madden when compared to Hunter who's a 72 overall. It'll be fun using the Jets this up coming season.
    Since the trade, can you update us what our offensive line now looks like here in 2012? Start from right to left.

CUT DUCASSE!!!

Bewildered Beast
    Quote Originally Posted by jetsfan1983 View Post
    Wow.

A few things to take from this:

1 - The Jets (Sparano) are starting to realize that Hunter is not the best option

2 - Otah shouldn't have cost much considering he missed the last 2 years.

3- The timing makes me think that Otah showed up at the facility over weight again. Hopefully he can be our Bryant McKinnie.

Great type of gamble to take. Low risk because it doesn't cost much and high reward if the guy turns out to be healthy. Dude is a mauler in every sense of the word.
    4) We were ****ed when ROb Turner took all our real depth to the IR. Sounds like Otah is a stop gap that won't be a turnstile.

5) Push Wayne Hunter

Jets Insider VIP
    "Otah is a beast," one general manager said. "He can be dominant. He has to stay on the field, and the knee is a concern, but when he's healthy there's not too many better."

Jets Insider VIP
    “@BrianCoz: We just got our best position competition of training camp. Otah vs. Hunter. #nyj”

“@BrianCoz: Just talked to a source that confirmed the RT job is wide open.”

Jets Insider VIP
    Ferguson/Slaussen/Mangold/Moore/Otoh

at the moment -- Hunter, Austin, Schauderoff remain as alternatives at tackle

Ducasse and Griffin at G

Paul somebody who signed recently at C

Veteran
    Quote Originally Posted by SizzleBear287 View Post
    CUT DUCASSE!!!
    He is gone before hunter

Quote Originally Posted by Rexamillion5592 View Post
    Otah's missed 30 of his last 34 games but I love the move...even though he has bad knees, this position needed a desperate upgrade this offseason and if healthy, he definitely is one. Good work, Mr.T. Excited to see this guy in training camp.
    No disrespect intended, Rex. But the dichotomy of your post had me in hysterics. No doubt, Otah blows out what's left of his knees stepping out of the elevator to sign his contract.