Page 4 of 16 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast

Thread: Jets trade for T Jeff Otah

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by bcess View Post
    He is gone before hunter
    As he should be, at least Hunter played decent 2 years ago. Ducasse has never shown he's worthy of significant playing time.

Bewildered Beast
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by 10PennyToColes87 View Post
    Mike T at it again. Love this move
    Another player that has to show off his stuff all year, for that big payday. Tanny loves these dudes.

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    IMO this move marks...

THE OFFICIAL END OF THE OFFSEASON AND THE OFFICIAL BEGINNING OF THE 2012-13 Summer Training Camp season

CAN'T WAIT

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    New York Jets fans can rejoice. The infamous Wayne Hunter era as New York's starting right tackle is presumably over.

The Jets acquired Jeff Otah from the Carolina Panthers in exchange for a conditional draft choice on Monday. Otah has 29 career starts and is talented enough to replace Hunter as New York's starting right tackle in Week 1.

Many were dumbfounded that the Jets did nothing to replace Hunter this offseason after Hunter struggled mightily in 2011. Jets starting quarterback Mark Sanchez had little protection on the right side and was sacked a career-high 39 times last season.

Otah is a solid player and a definite upgrade over Hunter and backup Vladimir Ducasse, who has been slow to develop.

The Jets are obviously tired of waiting for Ducasse and can no longer get by with Hunter as the starter. The Otah trade could quietly become one of the smartest moves in the AFC East this offseason.
    Worth a look....But....Is he healthy and stay healthy..

Posted June 22, 2012 @ 1:28 p.m. ET
    By Dan Parr

There are Panthers observers wondering how much more patience the team will show Jeff Otah.

Otah — a former first-round pick entering the final year of his rookie contract — showed he could be a mauling right tackle early in his career, but not recently. He hasn't stayed healthy, missing 35 games in his four seasons and appearing in only four games in the past two seasons. While swelling in his left knee sidelined him earlier this month, the Panthers are expecting him to be ready to play when training camp begins. Head coach Ron Rivera has made Otah no guarantees as far as a starting job, though, while praising the performance of Byron Bell, who started 12 games at right tackle while Otah was out last season.

The Panthers would be thrilled to see Otah put doubts about his work ethic and durability to rest in camp, but there are some inside the organization who are not overly optimistic about his chances of returning to the promising form he once displayed.

http://www.profootballweekly.com/201...ire-under-otah

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Post Thanks / Like
    Healthy Otah = Home run move

Is his salary guaranteed? If he's not healthy, what are the risks here? We lost a conditional pick, which I would bet is dependent on Otah making the roster and/or playing.

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by sg3 View Post
    IMO this move marks...

THE OFFICIAL END OF THE OFFSEASON AND THE OFFICIAL BEGINNING OF THE 2012-13 Summer Training Camp season

CAN'T WAIT
    sg3: Let me buy you a round of snow cones at this year's Jet camp. Any flavor you like.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Didn't want to make a new thread...

G Terrence Campbell, LB Demario Davis, S LaRon Landry and WR Jordan White were placed on active PUP, the team announces. #nyj

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    that training camp PUP means they don't count on the 90 man roster until they are activated from it. Much different from the second PUP that requires you sit out until week 6

means they don't have to make any roster move for the addition of Otoh

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    Didn't want to make a new thread...
    Brian Costello ‏@BrianCoz
    Davis and Campbell have hamstring strains and are day to day. Landry and White both have foot injuries and will work with traineirs

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by John_0515 View Post
    Healthy Otah = Home run move

Is his salary guaranteed? If he's not healthy, what are the risks here? We lost a conditional pick, which I would bet is dependent on Otah making the roster and/or playing.
    Jenny Vrentas ‏@JennyVrentas
    Otah is entering the last year of his rookie contract. He is due to earn $1.076M base.

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by DDNYjets View Post
    I suppose anything is better than Hunter. Hopefully he is physically able to compete.

Since we traded for him, I assume we are paying his $2.35 million dollar salary. So, if I am not mistaken, we have $4.85 million tied up at the RT position. $4.85 million for THESE two guys. Can't help but think if we got rid of Hunter when we could have what we could have gotten for $4.85 million this year.
    Eric Winston.

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by NY2FLDWC85 View Post
    He's an 85 rating in Madden when compared to Hunter who's a 72 overall. It'll be fun using the Jets this up coming season.
    Stats and Madden pretty much explain the extent of your football knowledge.

Shocker.

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by C Mart View Post
    Jenny Vrentas ‏@JennyVrentas
    Otah is entering the last year of his rookie contract. He is due to earn $1.076M base.
    Gracias.

Bewildered Beast
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Borgoguy View Post
    sg3: Let me buy you a round of snow cones at this year's Jet camp. Any flavor you like.
    Pffft - you'd even spring for blue raspberry?

I don't believe you.

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by WestCoastOffensive View Post
    Pffft - you'd even spring for blue raspberry?

I don't believe you.
    LOL. I'll even "doctor it up" with a generous tipping from my ever-present flask.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Sorry, can't resist...

The Pig is Ripe, etc., etc., etc.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    We can be concerned about the fact that he's been injury plagued and that the Panthers gave him up for peanuts, but there's literally nothing to dislike about this move.

Someone made a McKinnie comparison - this move has the potential to be just that.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Love the pickup.. If healthy is one of the better RT in football.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    even if his knees are bad come opening day, this is still an upgrade

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    I just scared my neighbors screaming F*** YEAH!!! after reading the Rotoworld blurb.

ITS TIME FOR FOOTBALL, NOT NICE KNOWING YOU HUNTER AND THANKS AGAIN FOR TIPPING OFF THE STEELERS IN THE CHAMP GAME YA BUM!!!