Page 6 of 16 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast

Thread: Jets trade for T Jeff Otah

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Jordy View Post
    Ducasse may be worked exclusively at guard now.
    Yeah...security guard.

Jets Insider VIP
    Board Moderator

Post Thanks / Like
    $1,067,250 base salary
    $1,280,000 signing bonus
    $7,200 "miscellaneous" bonus

No trigger.
    The Jets are not responsible for his signing bonus lol. We pay his 2012 salary if he makes the team, that's it.

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Buzzsaw View Post
    The Jets are not responsible for his signing bonus lol. We pay his 2012 salary if he makes the team, that's it.
    I'm pretty sure that's part of the cap hit and was spread out over the course of the contract.

His overall signing bonus was $6.4M

http://www.spotrac.com/nfl/carolina-panthers/jeff-otah/

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    I'm pretty sure that's part of the cap hit and was spread out over the course of the contract.

His overall signing bonus was $6.4M

http://www.spotrac.com/nfl/carolina-panthers/jeff-otah/
    Think it escalates onto Carolina's cap..Might be wrong

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Not sure who's cap hit it is, the signing bonus was paid years ago so unless the Panthers want a portion of it back (Tebow). Otah will just see his base plus maybe the $7.000

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by gunnails View Post
    Not sure who's cap hit it is, the signing bonus was paid years ago so unless the Panthers want a portion of it back (Tebow). Otah will just see his base plus maybe the $7.000
    I'm not sure. Perhaps the Jets only owe him the base salary but they may have to count the bonus towards their salary cap.

Practice Squad
    Post Thanks / Like
    Tannenbaum didn't want to be upstaged by Glen Sather today.

By the way, Otah played with Revis at Pitt in 2006.
    Or Brian Cashman

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    So the Jets ended up trading a conditional 7th rounder for a former first round pick who, if healthy, is one of the best RTs in the NFL.

I love me some Trader Mike.

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    Per LaConfora:

Panthers have good T depth after Bruce Campbell acquisition and lacked WR depth. GM I talked to loved Otah move for Jets. Beast when healthy

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by 10PennyToColes87 View Post
    So the Jets ended up trading a conditional 7th rounder for a former first round pick who, if healthy, is one of the best RTs in the NFL.

I started a new job recently and don't have a lot of time for the site....so this is arguably he first time i have ever logged on and been thrilled about a move that I had no clue happened.

A 7th round pick for this guy is an awesome move.....he is young and virtually riskless for us.

Speaking of Tannenbaum - I can't think of all the moves, but don't we have a bit of a history of fleecing carolina?

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Funny calling Bruce Campbell "tackle depth" since he's never played a snap at tackle.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Trader Mike strikes again!!!!!

I LOVE the move...Otah is a mauling Run-blocking RT if healthy.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by eaglenj View Post
    I started a new job recently and don't have a lot of time for the site....so this is arguably he first time i have ever logged on and been thrilled about a move that I had no clue happened.

A 7th round pick for this guy is an awesome move.....he is young and virtually riskless for us.

Speaking of Tannenbaum - I can't think of all the moves, but don't we have a bit of a history of fleecing carolina?
    We have a history of fleecing a lot of teams, lol. Jenks trade and Browns trade for Sanchez come to mind.

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by 10PennyToColes87 View Post

Yessir, yessir!

Tanny f*cking rules.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Two interesting tidbits I read....

Otah apparently didn't play a ton of football, only 1 year of high school I believe. With limited experience and only being 26, there is definitely a lot of room to grow here.

One knock that was in his draft scouting report was a lack of aggressiveness which leads into this quote that was on rototworld....saying that "unless the Jets doctors can cure soft" then we have a problem. Apparently the carolina staff felt Otah didn't work hard/or wasn't tough enough coming back from his injuries?

I feel a lot better having a tough-ass tony sparano in here to get him into gear.

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    Damien Woody ‏@damienwoody
    I'm sure ppl had their doubts about me when I signed back in '08.....let's see if the young fella can bounce back

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like

Cimini: Analysis of the Otah trade

Immediate thoughts on the Jets acquiring OT Jeff Otah from the Panthers:

1. Sources say Otah will compete with incumbent RT Wayne Hunter, but know this: If Otah is healthy (big if) and in shape, he'll be the opening-day starter. The Jets have little confidence in the beleaguered Hunter and, according to a scout I spoke with, Otah is simply better than Hunter. Remember, he was the 19th overall pick in 2008.

2. At 6-foot-6, 340 pounds, Otah is a better fit in the Jets' run-oriented scheme than Hunter, who isn't the kind of road grader you want at right tackle. In 2008, the Panthers traded up for Otah because they felt he'd be a perfect strong-side tackle in John Fox's run-heavy offense, but now the Panthers have a new coaching staff and they want athletic linemen to suit Cam Newton's improv skills.

3. Hunter's legion of critics might be celebrating the trade, but don't get too carried away. Otah comes with his share of baggage, so he's anything but a sure thing. He has played in only 29 games in four seasons, having missed 31 of the last 35 games because of injuries to his left knee. In fact, he tweaked the knee last month in an OTA, setting off alarm bells in Carolina. It turned out to be no serious damage, according to Panthers coach Ron Rivera. We'll see if Otah passes the Jets' physical.

4. The Jets got him for an undisclosed conditional pick. Considering his injury history and the fact that he's entering the final year of his rookie contract, it's probably a sixth- or seventh-round pick that could escalate based on playing time. It's a relatively risk-free move for the Jets.

5. It's unbelievable, the amount of lip service the Jets paid to Hunter in the offseason. Remember Dave DeGuglielmo's pro-Hunter rant in May? The new O-Line coach told reporters, "Until they tell me otherwise, until they ship him out of this building or until they shoot me dead in my office, that sonofagun is going to be the starting right tackle. And he's going to play well." What a bunch of hooey that was. Also remember that, when teams talk about their own players, actions speak a lot louder than words. And this trade speaks loudly.

http://espn.go.com/blog/new-york/jet...medium=twitter
    Last edited by C Mart; 07-23-2012 at 07:23 PM.

Hall Of Fame
    Orlando from NYC (1998) Las Vegas from Orlando Fl (june 2007)
    Post Thanks / Like
    I was so stoked that training camp starts this week....this pickup was the cherry on top! Jets know what they are doing...he is also in the last year of his contract...should be highly motivated.......nice pickup for a conditional pick.

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by eaglenj View Post
    Two interesting tidbits I read....

Otah apparently didn't play a ton of football, only 1 year of high school I believe. With limited experience and only being 26, there is definitely a lot of room to grow here.

One knock that was in his draft scouting report was a lack of aggressiveness which leads into this quote that was on rototworld....saying that "unless the Jets doctors can cure soft" then we have a problem. Apparently the carolina staff felt Otah didn't work hard/or wasn't tough enough coming back from his injuries?

I feel a lot better having a tough-ass tony sparano in here to get him into gear.
    The fact that it's his contract year also helps

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by C Mart View Post
    Immediate thoughts on the Jets acquiring OT Jeff Otah from the Panthers:

1. Sources say Otah will compete with incumbent RT Wayne Hunter, but know this: If Otah is healthy (big if) and in shape, he'll be the opening-day starter. The Jets have little confidence in the beleaguered Hunter and, according to a scout I spoke with, Otah is simply better than Hunter. Remember, he was the 19th overall pick in 2008.

2. At 6-foot-6, 340 pounds, Otah is a better fit in the Jets' run-oriented scheme than Hunter, who isn't the kind of road grader you want at right tackle. In 2008, the Panthers traded up for Otah because they felt he'd be a perfect strong-side tackle in John Fox's run-heavy offense, but now the Panthers have a new coaching staff and they want athletic linemen to suit Cam Newton's improv skills.

3. Hunter's legion of critics might be celebrating the trade, but don't get too carried away. Otah comes with his share of baggage, so he's anything but a sure thing. He has played in only 29 games in four seasons, having missed 31 of the last 35 games because of injuries to his left knee. In fact, he tweaked the knee last month in an OTA, setting off alarm bells in Carolina. It turned out to be no serious damage, according to Panthers coach Ron Rivera. We'll see if Otah passes the Jets' physical.

4. The Jets got him for an undisclosed conditional pick. Considering his injury history and the fact that he's entering the final year of his rookie contract, it's probably a sixth- or seventh-round pick that could escalate based on playing time. It's a relatively risk-free move for the Jets.

5. It's unbelievable, the amount of lip service the Jets paid to Hunter in the offseason. Remember Dave DeGuglielmo's pro-Hunter rant in May? The new O-Line coach told reporters, "Until they tell me otherwise, until they ship him out of this building or until they shoot me dead in my office, that sonofagun is going to be the starting right tackle. And he's going to play well." What a bunch of hooey that was. Also remember that, when teams talk about their own players, actions speak a lot louder than words. And this trade speaks loudly.

http://espn.go.com/blog/new-york/jet...medium=twitter
    I knew this was the usual crap from Dick Semen-i long before I saw the espngo link at the bottom

Sent from my SGH-T679 using Tapatalk 2