Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: From today's MMQB

Veteran

From today's MMQB

Opposing kickers were a mind-blowing 29-for-30 against the Jets last year, with the only miss by Sebastian Janikowski from 56 yards. That's just absurd bad luck for the Jets, unlikely to carry over to 2012.

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/201...#ixzz21SzpVkNd

Wow

You know I remember last year thinking several times how the other team never misses.Didn't realize it was that much

Hall Of Fame
    I wonder how many of those were long FGs like 45+ yards. I think we gave up a lot of long drives which resulted in shorter FGs. I am not sure what the stats are but would be interested to see if someone has the info.

made up for the many missed field goals the year before

Veteran
    I won't say it cost the Jets the season -- God knows they were a mess the last three games -- but this is some pretty incredible bad luck.

Folk was under 70% in FG attempts, so that's a pretty big variance. Imagine what the team's potential could be if this year opponent's FG % returns to normal, Sanchez cuts down his TOs by 1/3, and the offense eliminates TDs off of TOs. Those are all realistic improvements that "could" be big factors this season

Bewildered Beast
    Quote Originally Posted by Bronxville Jets Fan View Post
    I won't say it cost the Jets the season -- God knows they were a mess the last three games -- but this is some pretty incredible bad luck.

Folk was under 70% in FG attempts, so that's a pretty big variance. Imagine what the team's potential could be if this year opponent's FG % returns to normal, Sanchez cuts down his TOs by 1/3, and the offense eliminates TDs off of TOs. Those are all realistic improvements that "could" be big factors this season
    Nice; sign me up

If opposing kickers made Folk's 70%, then that would be about 27 points off the board.

I'm sure that would translate to a game here or there.

Incredible. I wonder what the record is.

Quote Originally Posted by DDNYjets View Post
    I wonder how many of those were long FGs like 45+ yards. I think we gave up a lot of long drives which resulted in shorter FGs. I am not sure what the stats are but would be interested to see if someone has the info.

http://espn.go.com/nfl/team/stats/_/.../new-york-jets

Folk:
    20-29 yds: 5-6
    30-39 yds: 6-6
    40-49 yds: 5-7
    50+ yds: 3-6

Opponents:
    20-29 yds: 9-9
    30-39 yds: 7-7
    40-49 yds: 7-7
    50+ yds: 6-7

agree. it would be nice to see the average fg distance for each team. if the jet average is high then it probably won't happen again. if not.....

Disagree. If the Jets gave up a lot of long drives, then they wouldn't have finished 5th in yards allowed.

The problem was that the offense often times put the defense in a crappy position. And the reason why opponents attempted more short FGs than the Jets was because the Jets scored TDs on a very high percentage of their red zone drives.

It was bad luck or not a focus for Westoff. I don't know how to make this show up as a table so here's the link: http://espn.go.com/nfl/statistics/pl...t/fieldGoalPct

Nobody got close to 99%

If only there was someone on JI who was into stats.

Jets also had extremely high % of fumbles LOST. Very rarely did they recover their own fumble.

People predicting the Jets to be a bottom feeding team just because of last year are going to be rudely awoken. The team went 8-8 with a ton of bad breaks (FGs, fumbles, scheduling), a piss poor offensive coordinator, and an injured QB. Regression to the mean gives us a few wins extra, and that's with no improvement from anyone.

Quote Originally Posted by Astoria View Post
    Jets also had extremely high % of fumbles LOST. Very rarely did they recover their own fumble.

People predicting the Jets to be a bottom feeding team just because of last year are going to be rudely awoken. The team went 8-8 with a ton of bad breaks (FGs, fumbles, scheduling), a piss poor offensive coordinator, and an injured QB. Regression to the mean gives us a few wins extra, and that's with no improvement from anyone.
    Good point. I expect this year to be a whole lot different

Veteran
    Quote Originally Posted by Astoria View Post

Great point. Sanchez also had a large number (don't have it offhand) of his TOs returned for TDs, while our defense only scored one touchdown (thanks, Revis), which is another significant disparity in my mind.

I used to tell friends that were watching Jet games with me that it seems like NO ONE ever misses a field goal against us, I guess I was right.

Not only do they not miss, it seems every kick from no matter how far away goes right through the middle!

Then you get those lucky Pats & a guy can't kick a freaking 32 yarder against them?

It's pretty surreal when you look at the %

Quote Originally Posted by jetster View Post
    I used to tell friends that were watching Jet games with me that it seems like NO ONE ever misses a field goal against us, I guess I was right.

Not only do they not miss, it seems every kick from no matter how far away goes right through the middle!

Then you get those lucky Pats & a guy can't kick a freaking 32 yarder against them?

It's pretty surreal when you look at the %
    People said the same thing about the "lucky" Jets in the Chargers playoff game - how can a guy miss all three of his field goal attempts, including a 36 and a 40-yarder?? And that was a 3-point game.

The Jets ranked 32nd in opponents' FG% last year, but in 2010 they ranked 16th, and in 2009 they were the 3rd "luckiest" team in the league wrt to field goals against. Over the entire course of the Rex era, the Jets are smack dab in the middle of the road, with an average ranking of 17th. For comparison, the Pats' average ranking over that period is 10th.

Last year was rough, but overall the Jets aren't particularly lucky or unlucky when it comes to field goals.

Hall Of Fame
    Quote Originally Posted by Rexipus Rex View Post
    Disagree. If the Jets gave up a lot of long drives, then they wouldn't have finished 5th in yards allowed.

The problem was that the offense often times put the defense in a crappy position. And the reason why opponents attempted more short FGs than the Jets was because the Jets scored TDs on a very high percentage of their red zone drives.
    You might be right. But that also might speak to the inconsistency of our defense. Many 3 and outs but then they would give up a long drive. Denver game comes to mind.

I agree with the second part. Maybe we gave up a lot of drives that went deep into our territory, which was not all the defenses fault as you explained.

Not sure what you mean with the bolded part.

Hall Of Fame
    Quote Originally Posted by Rexipus Rex View Post
    http://espn.go.com/nfl/team/stats/_/.../new-york-jets

Opponents:
    20-29 yds: 9-9
    30-39 yds: 7-7
    40-49 yds: 7-7
    50+ yds: 6-7
    Wow. Looks pretty even. I thought there would be more attempts from with 40, but this is balanced.

Perhaps it was just some bad luck.

Banned
    It's hard to believe that opposing teams/FG kickers combined for 13 out of 14 FG's from 40+ yards.

Jets couldn't catch a break last season.