Thread: Phillies, Cole Hamels reach deal

Hall of Fame
    Charter JI Member

Post Thanks / Like

Phillies, Cole Hamels reach deal

6 YEARS 144 MILLION

My guess is they now try to move Cliff Lee.

http://espn.go.com/mlb/story/_/id/81...ract-extension

Philadelphia Phillies pitcher Cole Hamels signed a six-year, $144 million contract extension Wednesday, a deal that prevents the All-Star left-hander from becoming a free agent after the season.

The extension runs through the 2018 season and includes a vesting option for 2019 along with a limited no-trade provision.

The Phillies have officially announced the deal and will hold a news conference with the 2008 World Series MVP at noon ET before their game against the Milwaukee Brewers.

It's the largest contract signed by a Philadelphia athlete and second-highest for a pitcher behind the $161 million deal the New York Yankees gave CC Sabathia in December 2008. Hamels' contract also is the largest contract signed by a Philadelphia athlete.

Although he likely would have been the most coveted free-agent pitcher this coming offseason, Hamels consistently has said that he enjoys playing in Philadelphia and would love the opportunity to emulate one of his boyhood heroes, Tony Gwynn, and play his entire career for one franchise.

Hamels, 28, becomes the third Phillies starter making $20 million per season, joining Roy Halladay and Cliff Lee.

A three-time All-Star, Hamels is 11-4 with a 3.23 ERA this season and owns a career record of 85-58 with a 3.38 ERA in seven years in Philadelphia. The lanky lefty has never won more than 15 games in a season, and his 2.79 ERA in 2011 was the only time he was under 3.06.

Hamels reached the majors in 2006 after battling injuries in the minors. He went 15-5 with a 3.39 ERA in his first full season in 2007, establishing himself as the team's ace and helping the Phillies win the first of five consecutive NL East titles.

Hamels was the team's ace in 2008 when he went 4-0 with a 1.80 ERA in five postseason starts. He was MVP of the NLCS against Los Angeles and helped the Phillies beat Tampa Bay in five games for their second World Series title in franchise history.

But Hamels struggled in 2009, going 10-11 with a 4.32 ERA that year and pitching poorly in the postseason as the Phillies tried for a repeat. Hamels was passed over for veteran Pedro Martinez to start Game 2 of the World Series at hostile Yankee Stadium. Hamels then blew a 3-0 lead in a pivotal loss in Game 3, and New York took the series in six games.

Following the additions of Halladay and Lee, Hamels went from ace to No. 3 starter. He began 2011 as the No. 4 starter behind Halladay, Lee and Roy Oswalt. There's no doubt that Hamels is the team's best pitcher this season -- and now richest, too. Halladay is 4-5 and Lee is 1-6.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    That is huge money for a guy who has never won 18 games and had one season with an ERA under 3 in the NL.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    This is a BIG number. I didn't see that coming. Not sure he's worth it, but oh well.

Lee, Victorino, Pence... at least two of these guys are goners by the deadline, right?

I'm guessing they're really trying to find a landing place for Lee. Given how much he's owed, I don't know if they can demand a whole lot for him in return.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    That is about right. The news said they just disagreed on length. I was saying 5 years 114 mil they gave him 6 at 144 mil. I have been saying it all year 22-23 mil was his worth. They could had had him for 17 mil had they signed him before the season. Philly just keeps over paying for pitchers IMO. I can't wait to hear them say he gave then a home team discount because he wanted to play in Philly. Yeah so you have 3 pitchers making 23, 22, and 21 mil a year all of them took a "discount" to play in Philly lol. I think Philly just realized that if they didn't offer it now who ever traded for him was going to.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    That's freaking money right there. I think I'd rather get 2 pitchers for 12 mil each than spend it all one one. I don't think the entire pirates pitching staff makes that amount. Shocking number for a guy that really comes third to mind on that pitching staff.

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by chirorob View Post
    That is huge money for a guy who has never won 18 games and had one season with an ERA under 3 in the NL.
    CC has only had 1 season under 3.

Cole Hamels is as good as any pitcher in baseball.

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by TheMikeIsHot View Post
    This is a BIG number. I didn't see that coming. Not sure he's worth it, but oh well.

Lee, Victorino, Pence... at least two of these guys are goners by the deadline, right?

I'm guessing they're really trying to find a landing place for Lee. Given how much he's owed, I don't know if they can demand a whole lot for him in return.
    Doubt Lee or Pence are on the block. I'm sure Victorino is.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by 21st Amendment View Post
    CC has only had 1 season under 3.

Cole Hamels is as good as any pitcher in baseball.
    I don't know about that. I really like Hamels, a lot, but there are a bunch of pitchers I'd take before him.

Doubt Lee or Pence are on the block. I'm sure Victorino is.
    Their farm system is depleted and they're an aging team.

Why wouldn't Lee be on the block? They are trying to avoid paying the Luxury Tax. Having all that money tied into 3 starters (plus Papelbon's money) is a lot to put into a pitching staff. When you take into account what Howard makes, what Pence will make... that's a LOT of cash.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    I don't know about that. I really like Hamels, a lot, but there are a bunch of pitchers I'd take before him.

Why wouldn't Lee be on the block? They are trying to avoid paying the Luxury Tax. Having all that money tied into 3 starters (plus Papelbon's money) is a lot to put into a pitching staff. When you take into account what Howard makes, what Pence will make... that's a LOT of cash.
    The whole point of trading away one of these guys would be to move money. If they traded Lee I would think they would have to pay some of his salary to get something back. Texas aren't going to give them a future 3rd baseman for a 24 mil dollar player that is turning 33. With that price tag his value goes way down. If your sill going to end up paying money for someone not on the roster but is still good, why move him? Considering Lee was horribly handle by them the 1st time around the fans would riot if they just gave him away for nothing. That is really just a loose loose situation the Phill's are in.

They could trade him true but I don't think it is likely to happen unless it is a deal the fans would embrace. Biggest problem being you main bidders all know there are only a few teams that would even consider taking on that deal much less giving up value for it. If they are only being offered what they got last time he was traded I would think the fans would eat them alive. It is way more likely you see them just move either an overpaid player they can just dump like Blanton or a piece like Pence that is simply worth a lot more on the market. I would think a team like Pitts would empty out their farm to add Pence right now.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Personally I think it's delusional on their part, but they're not willing to admit that. In their minds, this year is about nothing more then injuries and they're willing to try their luck in 2013 with mostly the same cast. Hell, they were talking about BUYING at the deadline as of a couple days ago for their "miracle run", before they got swept by Atlanta that is while being (mostly) healthy.

Now I think they'll bite the bullet and sell, but probably only contract year guys like Victorino. Maybe Pence in that they seem to have soured on him (Who would have guessed that 2011 was a career year for him and he was never going to repeat that? Oh wait, everybody did), but thats probably it.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Ven0m View Post
    Personally I think it's delusional on their part, but they're not willing to admit that. In their minds, this year is about nothing more then injuries and they're willing to try their luck in 2013 with mostly the same cast. Hell, they were talking about BUYING at the deadline as of a couple days ago for their "miracle run", before they got swept by Atlanta that is while being (mostly) healthy.

Now I think they'll bite the bullet and sell, but probably only contract year guys like Victorino. Maybe Pence in that they seem to have soured on him (Who would have guessed that 2011 was a career year for him and he was never going to repeat that? Oh wait, everybody did), but thats probably it.
    I keep hearing Pence in rumors and will laugh when they trade him. Everyone keeps saying well he is going to get 15 mil in arbitration. Well resign him you don't think he has 5 years left in him? I'd give him 5 years 80mil. Who else do they have down the road? He is hitting 270 with 17 HRs and is and is still 28. Those guys dont grow on trees.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Dreamers View Post
    I keep hearing Pence in rumors and will laugh when they trade him. Everyone keeps saying well he is going to get 15 mil in arbitration. Well resign him you don't think he has 5 years left in him? I'd give him 5 years 80mil. Who else do they have down the road? He is hitting 270 with 17 HRs and is and is still 28. Those guys dont grow on trees.
    The problem with Pence goes beyond those numbers.

He's so poor defensively and on the bases that he really hurts the team. He also has head scratching at bats almost daily.

If you go back and look at all the mistakes he's made from playing dumb baseball, it would almost equal his production. I live and work in Philly with tons of fans who have just had it with him.

He worked his way up so quickly through the minors that he never really got taught certain things and his bat was always good enough to warrant a promotion... but once he got the the majors, it was sort of eye opening. He just makes too many mental errors.

I think Amaro would take the first good offer, move on and let him be someone else's problem for $15M a year.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like

He's so poor defensively and on the bases that he really hurts the team. He also has head scratching at bats almost daily.

If you go back and look at all the mistakes he's made from playing dumb baseball, it would almost equal his production. I live and work in Philly with tons of fans who have just had it with him.

He worked his way up so quickly through the minors that he never really got taught certain things and his bat was always good enough to warrant a promotion... but once he got the the majors, it was sort of eye opening. He just makes too many mental errors.

I think Amaro would take the first good offer, move on and let him be someone else's problem for $15M a year.
    It was only a year or two ago that he was considered a plus defensive OF'er, and it's not like he's lost any athleticism that that's an issue. It's a weird defensive slump he's going through right now, moreso then anything else, IMO. If Philly is dumb enough to dump him, I'd take him in a second, but I doubt they would ever do an in-division trade so thats kind of a moot point.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like

I hear you but he is what that team needs to stay on top. The mistakes can be ironed out you can't teach what he brings. It is like buying a used car IMO. At some point you just have to buy one and take the good with the bad. How many of those players do Philly really think will walk their way. He is a solid bat that in a line up can do some real damage. Why do you think teams like Washington are overpaying for guys like Werth? That is what it takes if you want to win now.

He is still young, can hit, and has the ability to excel. If they trade him away what are your options for next year? 15 mil is still a good price even for one year. If they truly want to be a contender in 2013 they'd keep him. Signing a 32 year old Cody Ross or Hamilton to a huge deal is just not a better value IMO. I know they build their farm system. Why? To replace the guy they just traded hopefully in 2-3 years. If all else fails they can always trade him next year I doubt he looses value.