Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Ichiro a yankee!!!...

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like

Yankees acquired Ichiro Suzuki

@JackCurryYES
    The Yankees have acquired Ichiro Suzuki for RHPs DJ Mitchell and Danny Fahrquar, a source said. Yanks also get undisclosed cash in deal.

Hes old and not the same player, but hes still a excellent defensive player and maybe he will hit better being with the Yankees?

Hall of Fame
    Charter JI Member

Post Thanks / Like

Ichiro traded to the Yankees

http://www.cbssports.com/mlb/blog/ey...to-the-yankees

Ichiro Suzuki's Mariners' career has ended a couple of months earlier than expected, as the Mariners have sent him to the Yankees, according to YES Network's Jack Curry tweets.

According to Curry, the Mariners will receive right-handers D.J. Mitchell and Danny Farquar to Seattle, while the Mariners will send cash to New York in addition to the 10-time All-Star.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like

Yanks get Ichiro

MLB network is saying the Yanks traded for Ichiro for DJ Mitchell and Danny Farquhar

He's having a bad year,hopefully he can find the fountain of youth in the Bronx

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Holy ****, like wow. I couldn't believe it when I got the text from ESPN.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    ...Jeremy who?...

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Why? Why?

Only guy I want from Seattle is King Felix.

And why is it that we always try to make deals with them when we are playing them.

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    5 years ago this would of been a big deal, now.. not so much

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    A hit and steal already. Loving this.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    I really think he's going to help this lineup produce more small-ball runs.

There's probably a little left in the tank, hopefully the idea of postseason action pushes him to roll back the clock a couple of years.

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    I bet Ici comes to NY with a chip on his shoulder and really finishes the year strong.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by IHATEDOLPHINS View Post
    MLB network is saying the Yanks traded for Ichiro for DJ Mitchell and Danny Farquhar

He's having a bad year,hopefully he can find the fountain of youth in the Bronx
    Good call on both ends. I like DJ but I'll take Ichi in that trade for the POs. Yanks get a guy that can at least hit and field the ball without giving up a fortune and the league will share the shirt sales. Say what you will but that will be the #1 Yankee jersey this year. I'll take 30 SB and .300 BA that fields the ball.

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Dreamers View Post
    Good call on both ends. I like DJ but I'll take Ichi in that trade for the POs. Yanks get a guy that can at least hit and field the ball without giving up a fortune and the league will share the shirt sales. Say what you will but that will be the #1 Yankee jersey this year. I'll take 30 SB and .300 BA that fields the ball.
    how much you wanna bet he doesn't come close to Jeter

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Post Thanks / Like
    In 2005, it would've been a great move.

Now...why?

Swisher must be dinged to sh*t.

Or it's just the Yankees being the Yankees.

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Untouchable View Post
    In 2005, it would've been a great move.

Now...why?

Swisher must be dinged to sh*t.

Or it's just the Yankees being the Yankees.
    nothing to do with Swisher, and everything to do with Gardner recently having surgery to end his season.

Not sure what "Yankees being the Yankees" means. This wasn't a salary dump, Yankees are only playing $2 million of the $17 million Ichiro is being paid this season.
    Last edited by 21st Amendment; 07-24-2012 at 04:47 PM.

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    http://m.espn.go.com/mlb/story?story...WT&w=1bzar&wjb
    Ichiro Suzuki agreed to Yanks' list
    Wallace Matthews
    ESPNNewYork.com
    July 24, 2012

Ichiro Suzuki apparently wanted the New York Yankees even more than the Yankees wanted him.

Before completing a trade to acquire the Japanese star, the Yankees spelled out a list of conditions to Ichiro, a former American League MVP and two-time batting champion.

Ichiro would be asked to switch positions, hit at the bottom of the lineup and possibly sit against left-handed pitching.

"He was fully educated on all our requirements," Yankees general manager Brian Cashman told ESPNNewYork.com. "One by one, every box got ticked off."

Ichiro had requested a trade from the last-place Seattle Mariners, the only big league team he had ever played for after coming to the U.S. from Japan as a 27-year-old in 2001. But the Yankees were not sure the 10-time All-Star would be willing to make all the adjustments they required.

After Ichiro agreed to the conditions -- and waived his no-trade clause -- Cashman and Mariners GM Jack Zduriencik completed the deal that was initiated in a phone call between Mariners president Chuck Armstrong and Randy Levine, his counterpart with the Yankees.

"(Ichiro) was asked to make a lot of sacrifices," Cashman said. "And he agreed to all of them."

A team source acknowledged that if the player's name wasn't Ichiro, the Yankees probably wouldn't have had any interest in the outfielder, who is batting a career-low .261 this season.

But the consensus among Yankees scouts was that Ichiro was "bored" playing for the last-place Mariners and was "playing down to his surroundings." The Yankees hope this situation will reverse itself with the 38-year-old Ichiro suddenly shifted to a first-place team with a legitimate hope of reaching the World Series.

Yankees scouts reported that Ichiro's athleticism and defensive abilities were undiminished, another factor that influenced New York to take the leap of faith that Ichiro could return to a semblance of his former effectiveness.

And having parted with just right-handed pitchers D.J. Mitchell and Danny Farquhar, the Yankees have added a potential superstar to their already potent lineup.

"We think (Ichiro) is a reincarnation of Brett Gardner," Cashman said. "He's a reproduction of what we lost."

In fact, Ichiro at his best was a far better player than Gardner has been so far, a career .322 hitter with a string of 10 200-plus hit seasons to his credit who averaged more than 40 stolen bases in each of his first 11 major league seasons.

This year, Ichiro's numbers are way down -- his .288 on-base percentage places him near the bottom of the AL among players with at least 250 at-bats.

"He's a fit under the circumstances we're in," Cashman said. "Worst-case scenario, I've improved my outfield situation. Best-case scenario is a tremendous upside. We might be getting a superstar."

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    Yanks needed OF depth and they could rely on Ibanez/Jones platoon so long (although those guys have been great thus far).

Yanks have been looking for OFers for awhile and that intensified after Gardner was lost for the season. The signing makes sense.

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    Doubt Yankees will re-sign Ichiro, I'd like to see them take a run at Justin Upton in the off-season. They are clearly going to be in the outfield market this offseason with Swisher, Ibanes, Jones, and now Ichiro all becoming free agents. They have a $13 million club option on Curtis Granderson for next season, with a $2 million buyout.
    Last edited by 21st Amendment; 07-24-2012 at 04:52 PM.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by 21st Amendment View Post
    Doubt Yankees will re-sign Ichiro, I'd like to see them take a run at Justin Upton in the off-season. They are clearly going to be in the outfield market this offseason with Swisher, Ibanes, Jones, and now Ichiro all becoming free agents. They have a $13 million club option on Curtis Granderson for next season, with a $2 million buyout.
    If Ichiro performs well this year, especially in October, I could see them signing him to a 1 or 2 year deal.

And I'd love if they signed Upton.
    Last edited by TheMikeIsHot; 07-24-2012 at 06:34 PM.