Results 1 to 14 of 14

Thread: House votes to prevent Obama sharing defense data with Russia

  1. #1

    House votes to prevent Obama sharing defense data with Russia

    I don't know if I should laugh or cry.

    The House approved language on Thursday that would prevent the Obama administration from sharing classified information about U.S. missile defense technology with Russia.

    The language was proposed by Rep. Mo Brooks (R-Ala.) as an amendment to the 2013 Department of Defense spending bill and quickly approved by voice vote. Brooks said he proposed it as a reaction to the hot-mic conversation between President Obama and then-Russian President Dmitry Medvedev, in which he said he would have more flexibility on the issue of U.S. involvement in European missile defense after the November election.



    Republicans have said they fear Obama's remarks indicate he is working on some secret arrangement with the Russians, and Brooks said his amendment is meant to prevent any sharing of missile defense technology with Russia.


    "In light of recent statements by President Obama that he wanted 'more space' from the Russians in regards to missile defense, and his statement that he would 'have more flexibility' on this issue after the elections, I am concerned… that the United States's critical hit-to-kill and other valuable missile defense technology may become pawns in a political chess game of appeasement with the Russians," Brooks said.

    Brooks also said the United States should be especially wary of sharing anything with Russia, in light of comments from Russia's military threatening the nation if it participates in a missile defense system in Europe.

    "If Russia's defense staff is wiling to blatantly threaten the United States, why should the United States hand them the keys to technology that gives America's war fighter a decided advantage?" he asked.

    Rep. Michael Turner (R-Ohio) said he supports the language as a way to shape whatever agreement Obama might be working out with Russia.

    "This amendment would say, 'Mr. President, you won't tell us what your secret deal is, but that secret deal better not include sharing classified information of the United States with the Russians about our missile defense,' " he said.

    "This actually may be the most critical amendment that we will consider on this bill today," said Rep. Bill Young (R-Fla.), who chairs the House Appropriations subcommittee on defense. "There should be no secret deals on our missile defense with the Russian president or any other person not involved with the security of our own nation."

    Democrats let the amendment go without a fight, although Rep. Norm Dicks (D-Wash.) said he saw it as harmless given the unlikelihood that Obama would share classified information with Russia.

    "We don't have any problem with this amendment," Dicks said. "I would be very surprised if the administration would give any classified information to the Russian government."

    Brooks said his language is similar to language that was approved as part of the National Defense Authorization Act earlier this year. The House is expected to pass the 2013 spending bill, H.R. 5856, by Friday.


    http://thehill.com/blogs/floor-actio...ch-with-russia

  2. #2
    Jets Insider VIP
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Location
    LI
    Posts
    20,663
    Democrats let the amendment go without a fight, although Rep. Norm Dicks (D-Wash.) said he saw it as harmless given the unlikelihood that Obama would share classified information with Russia.


    Hey Dicks - the whole world now knows everything about Seal Team 6. yeah, "unlikelihood".

    What a f@rgin disaster.

  3. #3
    Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP
    Charter JI Member

    Join Date
    May 1999
    Location
    State Location Here
    Posts
    8,405
    It's amazing to me that American citizens who honestly profess to love this country are considering voting for this guy again. It really is.

  4. #4
    Quote Originally Posted by Frequent Flyer View Post
    I don't know if I should laugh or cry.

    The House approved language on Thursday that would prevent the Obama administration from sharing classified information about U.S. missile defense technology with Russia.

    The language was proposed by Rep. Mo Brooks (R-Ala.) as an amendment to the 2013 Department of Defense spending bill and quickly approved by voice vote. Brooks said he proposed it as a reaction to the hot-mic conversation between President Obama and then-Russian President Dmitry Medvedev, in which he said he would have more flexibility on the issue of U.S. involvement in European missile defense after the November election.



    Republicans have said they fear Obama's remarks indicate he is working on some secret arrangement with the Russians, and Brooks said his amendment is meant to prevent any sharing of missile defense technology with Russia.


    "In light of recent statements by President Obama that he wanted 'more space' from the Russians in regards to missile defense, and his statement that he would 'have more flexibility' on this issue after the elections, I am concerned… that the United States's critical hit-to-kill and other valuable missile defense technology may become pawns in a political chess game of appeasement with the Russians," Brooks said.

    Brooks also said the United States should be especially wary of sharing anything with Russia, in light of comments from Russia's military threatening the nation if it participates in a missile defense system in Europe.

    "If Russia's defense staff is wiling to blatantly threaten the United States, why should the United States hand them the keys to technology that gives America's war fighter a decided advantage?" he asked.

    Rep. Michael Turner (R-Ohio) said he supports the language as a way to shape whatever agreement Obama might be working out with Russia.

    "This amendment would say, 'Mr. President, you won't tell us what your secret deal is, but that secret deal better not include sharing classified information of the United States with the Russians about our missile defense,' " he said.

    "This actually may be the most critical amendment that we will consider on this bill today," said Rep. Bill Young (R-Fla.), who chairs the House Appropriations subcommittee on defense. "There should be no secret deals on our missile defense with the Russian president or any other person not involved with the security of our own nation."

    Democrats let the amendment go without a fight, although Rep. Norm Dicks (D-Wash.) said he saw it as harmless given the unlikelihood that Obama would share classified information with Russia.

    "We don't have any problem with this amendment," Dicks said. "I would be very surprised if the administration would give any classified information to the Russian government."

    Brooks said his language is similar to language that was approved as part of the National Defense Authorization Act earlier this year. The House is expected to pass the 2013 spending bill, H.R. 5856, by Friday.


    http://thehill.com/blogs/floor-actio...ch-with-russia
    Asking Obama not to share classified intelligence with our adversaries is like asking a vegan to eat a steak.

  5. #5
    All League
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Farmingdale, NY
    Posts
    2,523
    What a joke.

    Has he shared any military secrets with Russia?

    This is just a well placed amendment by a media whore, to spark debate over a non-f***ing issue, to make the President look bad.

  6. #6
    All Pro
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Un-Pleasantville
    Posts
    6,595
    Quote Originally Posted by SafetyBlitz View Post
    What a joke.

    Has he shared any military secrets with Russia?

    This is just a well placed amendment by a media whore, to spark debate over a non-f***ing issue, to make the President look bad.
    Only the traitorous B. Hussein & his fellow libs look bad, he's giving away the US & Britain's:

    http://www.reuters.com/article/2012/...82D03A20120314

    http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worl...r-secrets.html#

  7. #7
    All League
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Farmingdale, NY
    Posts
    2,523
    Quote Originally Posted by Jungle Shift Jet View Post
    Only the traitorous B. Hussein & his fellow libs look bad, he's giving away the US & Britain's:

    http://www.reuters.com/article/2012/...82D03A20120314

    http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worl...r-secrets.html#
    First off, nothing has been shared yet. Both of those articles confirm that.

    The Pentagon officials and DOD people quoted in there speak of "we're talking about what a mutual sharing of pertinent information, as part of a BMD system that would INCLUDE protecting Russia."

    But of course, you're framing it as "OBAMA GONNA GIVE SOVIETS MILITARY SECRETS!"

  8. #8
    Quote Originally Posted by SafetyBlitz View Post
    First off, nothing has been shared yet. Both of those articles confirm that.

    The Pentagon officials and DOD people quoted in there speak of "we're talking about what a mutual sharing of pertinent information, as part of a BMD system that would INCLUDE protecting Russia."

    But of course, you're framing it as "OBAMA GONNA GIVE SOVIETS MILITARY SECRETS!"
    Huh? He shared information about his kill list. He shared information about the Stuxnet and Flame virus. He shared information about the Doctor in Pakistan that helped identify Bin Ladin. He shared operational details of Seal Team 6 and their mission in Pakistan. He shared information about an undercover agent that infiltrated Al Qaeda in Yemen. He shared information about an Israeli deal with Kajikistan to refuel there in the event of an operation to take out Irans reactors.

    It goes without saying that Obama's administration is quick to share classified information. Even Diane Feinstein agrees.

  9. #9
    All Pro
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Colorado
    Posts
    6,975
    Do we really need an amendment to a defense spending bill to cover this issue? Any reason why good ole fashioned Treason doesn't already cover it?

    On the surface, another example of unnecessary over-governance. This seems like a completely political move.

  10. #10
    All League
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Farmingdale, NY
    Posts
    2,523
    Quote Originally Posted by chiefst2000 View Post
    Huh? He shared information about his kill list. He shared information about the Stuxnet and Flame virus. He shared information about the Doctor in Pakistan that helped identify Bin Ladin. He shared operational details of Seal Team 6 and their mission in Pakistan. He shared information about an undercover agent that infiltrated Al Qaeda in Yemen. He shared information about an Israeli deal with Kajikistan to refuel there in the event of an operation to take out Irans reactors.

    It goes without saying that Obama's administration is quick to share classified information. Even Diane Feinstein agrees.
    What does any of that have to with Russians?

    The SEAL team operation to kill Bin Laden was not leaked. After it was done, we described it. Terrible, right? The next time Bin Laden is holed up in a Pakistani compound we're fu**ed...

    And how do you know it was Obama who leaked the other stuff, or that he ordered someone to leak any of that?

  11. #11
    Quote Originally Posted by SafetyBlitz View Post
    What does any of that have to with Russians?

    The SEAL team operation to kill Bin Laden was not leaked. After it was done, we described it. Terrible, right? The next time Bin Laden is holed up in a Pakistani compound we're fu**ed...

    And how do you know it was Obama who leaked the other stuff, or that he ordered someone to leak any of that?
    The leaked reports include details of specific conversations that took place in Obama's situation room. Are you saying that the Russians don't watch the news? All this stuff was leaked to them and the rest of the world.

  12. #12
    All League
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Farmingdale, NY
    Posts
    2,523
    Quote Originally Posted by chiefst2000 View Post
    The leaked reports include details of specific conversations that took place in Obama's situation room. Are you saying that the Russians don't watch the news? All this stuff was leaked to them and the rest of the world.
    I'm saying that you're implying it was Obama himself or someone directed by him on purpose to leak this information.

    That's different than, "there's a leak in the White House".

  13. #13
    Veteran
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    Cape Coral, FL
    Posts
    1,071
    Quote Originally Posted by SafetyBlitz View Post
    What a joke.

    Has he shared any military secrets with Russia?

    This is just a well placed amendment by a media whore, to spark debate over a non-f***ing issue, to make the President look bad.
    Actually most of the main stream media is in the business of trying to make Barry look good, to the point of hiding/misconstruing facts. No he needs no help looking bad, after all he's the one who had a "private exchange" in front of an open mic.

  14. #14
    Quote Originally Posted by SafetyBlitz View Post
    I'm saying that you're implying it was Obama himself or someone directed by him on purpose to leak this information.

    That's different than, "there's a leak in the White House".
    We are talking about Obama's cabinet here. I don't think Obama himself gave the info to the media. I imagine one of his henchmen did it. Not sure how it is relevant though. The leaks went on over a protracted amount of time. If this was something that the Obama disagreed with he could have easily put a stop to it. How many people attend high level cabinet meetings? It's not hard to figure out who the culprits might be.

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Follow Us