Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 32

Thread: Which players will need to step up the most for the Jets to have a successful season

  1. #1
    All Pro
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Brooklyn
    Posts
    7,251

    Which players will need to step up the most for the Jets to have a successful season

    The 2012 Jets is a big question mark at this point. The talent is there I must say, but how will it all fit together. With a new Off. Coordinator is Sparano, a new backup QB in Tim Tebow, and a group of rookies who will probably see a lot of playing time as they adjust to the NFL, we really don't know how all the pieces will fit as of yet. What we do know, is that certain players will have to step up to the plate and make big contributions in order for the Jets to return to form. In my opinion these are the players that need to step up:

    Aaron Maybin: He needs to prove that last year wasn't a fluke. We all can agree that if this defense can ever find an OLB that can consistently beat his man 1on1 and get to the QB, it will go from being great to truly elite. Can Maybin be this guy? Maybe, but he will need to prove that he can stay on the field on 1st and 2nd down. He seems to have put on weight which is a huge plus (to hold the point of attack and set the edge in run defense) Can he digest and master Rex & Pettine's playbook and become our Suggs, or Harrison?

    Joe McKnight: LT's departure leaves a big void in the running game. LT's effectiveness as a runningback diminished as a Jet, but he was excellent catching the ball out of the backfield, and picking up on blitz protection. The job now belongs to Joe McKnight. He's showed flashes at times, but we will need more from him. He need to prove he can consistently catch out of the backfield and move the chains. He also needs to protect and pick up blitzers. Joe McKnight's development is HUGE imo and he will need to fill a big pair of shoes.

    Mo Wilkerson: He had an excellent rookie campaign, and is already a stout run stuffer, but can he become more of the pass-rushing threat that he was touted as coming out of college? The name of the game in Rex's defense is pressure and anyone who can beat his man 1on1 and get to the QB are welcomed. Our DL can potentially become a strength of this team and if it does, big Mo will be a large part of it.

    Mark Sanchez: our franchise QB is going into his 4th year, and it can be extremely frustrating to watch him at times. One minute he will show flashes of brilliance on the biggest of stages, and then he will turn around and make the boneheaded rookie mistake. IMO it's put up or shut up time for #6. He will need to show the one thing he has lacked in his young career: Consistency. Sanchez's maturation is the MAIN THING THAT SEPARATES THIS TEAM FROM BECOMING A PERENNIAL SUPERBOWL CONTENDER. With Tebow looking over his shoulder, plotting to take his position from, will Sanchez answer the call and become the QB that we need to succeed? If not, everyone's favorite backup QB may just get exactly what he so desperately wants, a shot to lead a team to the promised land. Make no mistake about, this team is better off with Sanchez, but will Rex and Tanny's patience wear thin if the Sanchize can't deliver. Sanchez has all the tools to succeed, but he has to prove that he can play well week in and week out.

    Who are some of the guys you think need to step it up in order for the Jets to succeed? I didn't include any rookies because I think it is unfair to put the burden of being a big contributor on a person who is trying to find his way, but feel free to add them if you disagree.

  2. #2
    Hall Of Fame
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    Mendham, NJ
    Posts
    13,482
    All of them.

  3. #3
    1) Sanchez

    2) Sanchez

    3) Sanchez

    Without an above average QB in the NFL, you aren't going anywhere.

  4. #4
    ...D-Brick...and i have to do a better job rooting for them this year...

  5. #5
    All Pro
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Brooklyn
    Posts
    7,251
    Quote Originally Posted by GreenSpleen View Post
    1) Sanchez

    2) Sanchez

    3) Sanchez

    Without an above average QB in the NFL, you aren't going anywhere.
    +1

    agree wholeheartedly!!!!!

    He will need the pieces around him to step up as well.

  6. #6
    It's always the QB 1st & foremost.

    McKnight needs to bring it

    Dline needs to get some pressure so our LBs can fly around

    We need the other teams to finally miss some FGs, when you play ground & pound a lot of games are decided by 6 points or less.

  7. #7
    O-line - if we are going to be ground and pound and take adavantage of Sanchez's ability in play action the unit needs to go back to what they were

    on defense, we will be top 5 again but to be dominant we need better safety play

  8. #8
    All Pro
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Philadelphia
    Posts
    7,078
    It's really on Sanchez and the OL. The line had an awful year last year and that had a huge impact on the running game and on Sanchez.

    He didn't play well and he deserves more of the blame than any one single player, but the OL as a unit wasn't helping the kid at all.

    If this team is going anywhere this year, it starts up front.

  9. #9
    Jets Insider VIP
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Boynton Beach, FL
    Posts
    8,994
    Sanchez. And if he doesnt, then tebow. Its all about the qb.

  10. #10
    All League
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    northern jersey
    Posts
    3,185
    Quote Originally Posted by carlito1171 View Post
    The 2012 Jets is a big question mark at this point. The talent is there I must say, but how will it all fit together. With a new Off. Coordinator is Sparano, a new backup QB in Tim Tebow, and a group of rookies who will probably see a lot of playing time as they adjust to the NFL, we really don't know how all the pieces will fit as of yet. What we do know, is that certain players will have to step up to the plate and make big contributions in order for the Jets to return to form. In my opinion these are the players that need to step up:

    Aaron Maybin: He needs to prove that last year wasn't a fluke. We all can agree that if this defense can ever find an OLB that can consistently beat his man 1on1 and get to the QB, it will go from being great to truly elite. Can Maybin be this guy? Maybe, but he will need to prove that he can stay on the field on 1st and 2nd down. He seems to have put on weight which is a huge plus (to hold the point of attack and set the edge in run defense) Can he digest and master Rex & Pettine's playbook and become our Suggs, or Harrison?

    Joe McKnight: LT's departure leaves a big void in the running game. LT's effectiveness as a runningback diminished as a Jet, but he was excellent catching the ball out of the backfield, and picking up on blitz protection. The job now belongs to Joe McKnight. He's showed flashes at times, but we will need more from him. He need to prove he can consistently catch out of the backfield and move the chains. He also needs to protect and pick up blitzers. Joe McKnight's development is HUGE imo and he will need to fill a big pair of shoes.

    Mo Wilkerson: He had an excellent rookie campaign, and is already a stout run stuffer, but can he become more of the pass-rushing threat that he was touted as coming out of college? The name of the game in Rex's defense is pressure and anyone who can beat his man 1on1 and get to the QB are welcomed. Our DL can potentially become a strength of this team and if it does, big Mo will be a large part of it.

    Mark Sanchez: our franchise QB is going into his 4th year, and it can be extremely frustrating to watch him at times. One minute he will show flashes of brilliance on the biggest of stages, and then he will turn around and make the boneheaded rookie mistake. IMO it's put up or shut up time for #6. He will need to show the one thing he has lacked in his young career: Consistency. Sanchez's maturation is the MAIN THING THAT SEPARATES THIS TEAM FROM BECOMING A PERENNIAL SUPERBOWL CONTENDER. With Tebow looking over his shoulder, plotting to take his position from, will Sanchez answer the call and become the QB that we need to succeed? If not, everyone's favorite backup QB may just get exactly what he so desperately wants, a shot to lead a team to the promised land. Make no mistake about, this team is better off with Sanchez, but will Rex and Tanny's patience wear thin if the Sanchize can't deliver. Sanchez has all the tools to succeed, but he has to prove that he can play well week in and week out.

    Who are some of the guys you think need to step it up in order for the Jets to succeed? I didn't include any rookies because I think it is unfair to put the burden of being a big contributor on a person who is trying to find his way, but feel free to add them if you disagree.
    Great job pin-pointing these four. I would like to add the winner of the RT job. Hopefully it's a healthy Otah.

  11. #11
    Hall Of Fame
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    dunwoody, ga ! !
    Posts
    13,905
    Quote Originally Posted by carlito1171 View Post
    The 2012 Jets is a big question mark at this point. The talent is there I must say, but how will it all fit together. With a new Off. Coordinator is Sparano, a new backup QB in Tim Tebow, and a group of rookies who will probably see a lot of playing time as they adjust to the NFL, we really don't know how all the pieces will fit as of yet. What we do know, is that certain players will have to step up to the plate and make big contributions in order for the Jets to return to form. In my opinion these are the players that need to step up:

    Aaron Maybin: He needs to prove that last year wasn't a fluke. We all can agree that if this defense can ever find an OLB that can consistently beat his man 1on1 and get to the QB, it will go from being great to truly elite. Can Maybin be this guy? Maybe, but he will need to prove that he can stay on the field on 1st and 2nd down. He seems to have put on weight which is a huge plus (to hold the point of attack and set the edge in run defense) Can he digest and master Rex & Pettine's playbook and become our Suggs, or Harrison?

    Joe McKnight: LT's departure leaves a big void in the running game. LT's effectiveness as a runningback diminished as a Jet, but he was excellent catching the ball out of the backfield, and picking up on blitz protection. The job now belongs to Joe McKnight. He's showed flashes at times, but we will need more from him. He need to prove he can consistently catch out of the backfield and move the chains. He also needs to protect and pick up blitzers. Joe McKnight's development is HUGE imo and he will need to fill a big pair of shoes.

    Mo Wilkerson: He had an excellent rookie campaign, and is already a stout run stuffer, but can he become more of the pass-rushing threat that he was touted as coming out of college? The name of the game in Rex's defense is pressure and anyone who can beat his man 1on1 and get to the QB are welcomed. Our DL can potentially become a strength of this team and if it does, big Mo will be a large part of it.

    Mark Sanchez: our franchise QB is going into his 4th year, and it can be extremely frustrating to watch him at times. One minute he will show flashes of brilliance on the biggest of stages, and then he will turn around and make the boneheaded rookie mistake. IMO it's put up or shut up time for #6. He will need to show the one thing he has lacked in his young career: Consistency. Sanchez's maturation is the MAIN THING THAT SEPARATES THIS TEAM FROM BECOMING A PERENNIAL SUPERBOWL CONTENDER. With Tebow looking over his shoulder, plotting to take his position from, will Sanchez answer the call and become the QB that we need to succeed? If not, everyone's favorite backup QB may just get exactly what he so desperately wants, a shot to lead a team to the promised land. Make no mistake about, this team is better off with Sanchez, but will Rex and Tanny's patience wear thin if the Sanchize can't deliver. Sanchez has all the tools to succeed, but he has to prove that he can play well week in and week out.

    Who are some of the guys you think need to step it up in order for the Jets to succeed? I didn't include any rookies because I think it is unfair to put the burden of being a big contributor on a person who is trying to find his way, but feel free to add them if you disagree.
    our QB

  12. #12
    All Pro
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Upper East Side
    Posts
    6,823
    Sanchez -- This one is obvious. The season rests on his shoulders.

    McKnight -- We need production from him as a 3rd down back and he's a huge question mark.

    Hunter -- His awful play last year was one of the top reasons Sanchez struggled. He has to play better.

    Brick -- Arguably had his worst season since his rookie year. Needs to protect the blind side better.

    Coples -- Obviously a rookie, but we need an impact player on defense.

    Wilkerson -- Good rookie year, but if he takes the next step it could help with a top flight defense.

    Maybin -- He's our best pass rusher, but he needs to be better. Secondary isn't the issue -- if we dominate up front we'll be much better defensively.

  13. #13
    Hall Of Fame
    Join Date
    Jun 2003
    Location
    Bergen County, NJ
    Posts
    20,115
    Quote Originally Posted by TheMikeIsHot View Post
    It's really on Sanchez and the OL. The line had an awful year last year and that had a huge impact on the running game and on Sanchez.

    He didn't play well and he deserves more of the blame than any one single player, but the OL as a unit wasn't helping the kid at all.

    If this team is going anywhere this year, it starts up front.
    +1.

    _

  14. #14
    Brick, Tone, Sanchez, Kyle Wilson, Mayhem, and whatever combination of safeties start.

  15. #15
    Sanchez

    Holmes

    Greene

    Landry

    Pace

    Wilkerson

    If all these guys raise their level of play, we can be a playoff team.

  16. #16
    Jets Insider VIP
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    Ormond Beach, Florida
    Posts
    12,749
    Quote Originally Posted by GreenSpleen View Post
    1) Sanchez

    2) Sanchez

    3) Sanchez

    Without an above average QB in the NFL, you aren't going anywhere.
    Unless your defense is absolutely GREAT like the Ravens were a few years ago when they won a SB with TRENT DILFER. Dilfer was below average in my opinion but that defense was superb! I am hoping ours will be too. I think Sanchez is on the road to being better then Dilfer at this time!

  17. #17
    Hall of Fame
    Charter JI Member

    Join Date
    May 1999
    Location
    Atlanta via NJ
    Posts
    8,260
    Otah











    l_j_r

  18. #18
    Good consistent Sanchez = 11-5

    Bad erratic Sanchez = same as last year or worse.

  19. #19
    Step UP:

    I need Otah to block some D

    And obviously Sanchez to stay the starting QB ...
    So he has to over exceed any expectations.

  20. #20
    The Jets' success is dependent on how the offensive line performs.

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Follow Us