Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Extreme weather and a changing climate (CNN Opin/Obama Admin Offical)

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Trades View Post
    Fair enough and good luck in your summer job and <assuming> your subsequent college career. Out of curiosity what are you majoring in?
    I haven't declared a major yet. I'm not looking forward to it actually. I think picking a major is very limiting, but I understand why it's necessary. For now, I'm just studying in my university's College of Liberal Arts. But to give you an idea, I'm very interested in languages - especially Spanish. I am taking an intermediate level conversational Spanish course as well as Latin this upcoming semester. Ideally, I'd go study abroad for a semester in Spain during my junior year, hopefully making me near fluent en Espanol.

You say you won't "pound [your] chest and spew things that [you] don't have a great idea on" yet you feel that all of us actually making money, supporting families, paying mortgages, etc, should pay a lot more. Do you see the hypocrisy of that statement?
    No, I don't. I see a philosophical difference between those who believe in higher taxes and those who don't. That's all. I will still hold the same belief about taxes when I do have a family to support - since it's something I feel strongly about. I think paying higher taxes results in better government services which results in better quality of life.

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by MCBNY View Post
    Well I am 18 and I have my first full-time job this summer. So yes, that is my excuse, and I think it's legitimate. I'm not going to pound my chest and spew things that I don't have a great idea on. But I do have a general idea and I'm honest about what I know and don't know.
    Nothing wrong with admitting you don't know something.

Despite my bluster, there is a ton I don't know.

I think tho, what a few here might say, is get back to us after a few years in the private working world, preferably the private professional world, and let us know what you think then.

Your opinion may change some after that life experience. It certainly has for many of us (but not all of course). I was much more liberal at 18 than I am now.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Warfish View Post
    Nothing wrong with admitting you don't know something.

Despite my bluster, there is a ton I don't know.

I think tho, what a few here might say, is get back to us after a few years in the private working world, preferably the private professional world, and let us know what you think then.

Your opinion may change some after that life experience. It certainly has for many of us (but not all of course). I was much more liberal at 18 than I am now.
    All very fair points. We'll see how my stances change as I age and learn more. I'm always open to changing my views.

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    All very fair points. We'll see how my stances change as I age and learn more. I'm always open to changing my views.
    I would encourage you to take at least 3 economics courses if not a minor.

I took a minor in ECO right when REAGAN was president. Great debates on spending etc.

What I learned....in a nutshell, that paying people to stay home doesn't work.

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like

No, I don't. I see a philosophical difference between those who believe in higher taxes and those who don't. That's all. I will still hold the same belief about taxes when I do have a family to support - since it's something I feel strongly about. I think paying higher taxes results in better government services which results in better quality of life.
    First test -- voluntarily give more out of your paycheck than they automatically take. If you're willing to do that, then it shouldn't be a problem when they start taking more (which they will).

If you find that easier said than done, you might start to understand where the rest of us are coming from . . .

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by OCCH View Post
    First test -- voluntarily give more out of your paycheck than they automatically take. If you're willing to do that, then it shouldn't be a problem when they start taking more (which they will).

If you find that easier said than done, you might start to understand where the rest of us are coming from . . .
    This is what I meant when I said I have a general idea of how taxes work. I'm crystal clear on everything you just said. I think I'll be willing to sacrifice some of my paycheck to pay higher taxes. And I do know exactly where all of you are coming from. Just because I stand on one side of the fence does not mean I rule out the views of the people on the other side. I respect what you believe, and I expect to be treated the same way in return.

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like

I think paying higher taxes results in better government services which results in better quality of life.
    I used to believe the same thing. Now I realize we live in a democracy and our government is very much a reflection of our citizens, Bloated, not that bright and armed to the teeth.

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Winstonbiggs View Post
    I used to believe the same thing. Now I realize we live in a democracy and our government is very much a reflection of our citizens, Bloated, not that bright and armed to the teeth.
    Wow.

Um.

Er.

Yeah.

Hard to disagree.

Toss in "ineffecient, corrupt and wasteful" in there, and call it a day.

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    I haven't declared a major yet. I'm not looking forward to it actually. I think picking a major is very limiting, but I understand why it's necessary. For now, I'm just studying in my university's College of Liberal Arts. But to give you an idea, I'm very interested in languages - especially Spanish. I am taking an intermediate level conversational Spanish course as well as Latin this upcoming semester. Ideally, I'd go study abroad for a semester in Spain during my junior year, hopefully making me near fluent en Espanol.

I appreciate your honesty and youthful ideals. It is said that "A young man who is not a liberal, has no heart... ...but an old man who is not a conservative, has no mind!". This is often attributed to Winston Churchill but I don't know if that is accurate.

The longer you don't declare a major the longer you will probably be in college because you will need to go back and take classes you missed as an underclassman. Try to figure out what you can do with the majors you are interested in and then try to find someone in that field to mentor you ASAP.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Winstonbiggs View Post
    I understand that.

I haven't quite given up yet and converted to "Libertarian because everybody here sucks, leave me the f*** alone", but I get the reasons.