Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Another role for Tebow?

Another role for Tebow?

Sorry if already posted, but didn't see it...

NFL.com story:

Manish Mehta of the New York Daily News reported Tuesday that Tebow is a candidate to see the field on kickoffs. You're not going to see the backup quarterback return kicks, but he's being considered for a spot on the coverage team.

"I think there might be some value there on kickoff returns," assistant special teams coach Ben Kotwica said. "It's something that we've talked about. I don't think there's any option with Tim that we've taken off the table. So, that would be something that would be new to him as well. In what we've asked him to do as the personal (punt) protector (right now), he's done an excellent job."

Kotwica isn't concerned about Tebow's ability to tackle the return man, and why should he be? Tebow is a 250-pound steamroller, and Rex Ryan is going squeeze everything he can out of him.

The Jets have fielded deep criticism for adding Tebow to the roster. We don't know how Mark Sanchez will get through the season with Tebow breathing down his neck, but the Jets seem to understand that Tebow's role -- before quarterback -- is that of a football player. Say what you want about his mechanics, but Tebow is an unusual athlete, and we expect to see him spread him all over the field in 2012.

If the Jets are serious about using Tebow in this many ways, then I don't know if he's actually going to be the "backup QB."

Just a thought, but if the Jets find he is a better weapon being used all over the field and can help more in that respect rather than just in his QB duties, it would not surprise me to see McElroy be the "traditional backup QB."

I understand Sanchez has been amazingly durable and maybe the Jets are just keeping their fingers crossed that it will continue. But it appears Tebow is going to be used much more than a regular backup QB leading me to believe McElroy is going to suit up on game days.

You know, I read that and I couldn't believe it...

That sounds kind of nuts to me. Kickoff and Kickoff return are a bit like suicide missions. You're throwing your body at full speed into people.

Is this the best use of a backup qb? I'll be surprised if the Jets do this.

Tebow is a football player first. QB second. What the Jets are doing here...I see it....They are taking all the negative things that happened last year and completely drowning that out with the Tebow talk.....Mark will be the starter...period...the Jets know this.....Why does everyone automatically think Tebow will start at QB??? How many Super bowl Championships has Tebow won???? They way people have been talking this month you'd think Tebow has 4 superbowl rings......

Quote Originally Posted by BamaJets View Post
    If the Jets are serious about using Tebow in this many ways, then I don't know if he's actually going to be the "backup QB."

Just a thought, but if the Jets find he is a better weapon being used all over the field and can help more in that respect rather than just in his QB duties, it would not surprise me to see McElroy be the "traditional backup QB."

I understand Sanchez has been amazingly durable and maybe the Jets are just keeping their fingers crossed that it will continue. But it appears Tebow is going to be used much more than a regular backup QB leading me to believe McElroy is going to suit up on game days.
    Good call. Been thinking this for a while. I'm expecting Tebow to take a handful of snaps at QB (4-8 a game) and the rest of his playing time coming as RB of some sort, and of course special teams. God forbid Sanchez goes down, I fully expect McElroy to become the starter but Tebow's snap count at QB would probably jump drastically. Then the team would flex to whatever scheme was more productive week-to-week.

All Pro

There is no emergency QB anymore, so they can put in McElroy and take him back out. If they're going to use Tebow on punt, and kick teams, then I would assume they would use/try him in all sorts of rolls. Lets find out if he can catch, and block. He looks like an H back to me. Just give me the damn ball...Sorry...gosh darn ball.

Jets Insider VIP
    I am on record as not having been favor of the Tebow move....

But I honestly feel that Tebow should not be used on special teams like this if he is to be the back up QB. It simply isn't fair to him. Let him learn the QB position the proper way. The man is not a gimmick. Give him a chance to play QB. If indeed the Jets want to use Tebow this way then Tebow can not be the serious back up QB because he needs total focus on that position.

This isn't 1948 and Tebow isn't Slingin Sammy Bo.....

Having him as an up-back on punt coverage okay, putting him on kick off coverage = flat out noodly insane. Sheer and utter lunacy.

One of the problems with "reports" citing excerpts from another article is that context and details often get lost.

This is from Manish's actual article:

Special teams coordinator Mike Westhoff, who has returned to the team after missing part of OTAs and minicamp after undergoing leg surgery in May, said Tebow would "possibly" be used as an up back/situational kick returner.

"There are certain situations where he might be on the field that he could be utilized possibly to block or possibly to field a ball," Westhoff told the Daily News. "If a team squibs it at you or pops it at you, he might be the perfect guy to put in that could make an adjustment. If they kick it deep, he could block. If they squib it or pop it, he could be guy that we'd have with a ball in his hands. Jerricho Cotchery did a nice job for us in that role. Brad Smith, before he became they guy, did some of that for us. So, it's just a situational thing."

It's unclear how much special teams work Tebow will get, but Westhoff promised that will help keep the opposition on high alert.

"His role with me won't be a paramount role. I'm not counting on Tebow coming in and being a hardcore four-team special teams player," Westhoff said. "That's not what we want. We have a limited role for him, but it will be one that presents problems. That's what Tebow is all about. He presents problems to good football teams in a lot of aspects. You have to be aware of it. If you're not aware of it, it could jump up and smack you."

Read more: http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/fo...#ixzz21Zv0yBfV

All Pro
    Quote Originally Posted by Beerfish View Post
    Having him as an up-back on punt coverage okay, putting him on kick off coverage = flat out noodly insane. Sheer and utter lunacy.
    Yeah, he might hurt his throwing arm, and screw up his delivery.

Hall Of Fame
    I would hope everyone would realize that all of the "Tebow's role with the Jets will be...." stories are pure speculation by beat writers who are simply taking a quote from a coach saying that a certain situation MIGHT occur, and then run with that and write a full blown story as if the role is set in stone.

Quote Originally Posted by CleatMarks View Post
    You know, I read that and I couldn't believe it...

That sounds kind of nuts to me. Kickoff and Kickoff return are a bit like suicide missions. You're throwing your body at full speed into people.

Is this the best use of a backup qb? I'll be surprised if the Jets do this.
    Sounds like a recipe for repeated blunt force trauma. Hope the Jets don't overdo it and ask too much of the guy. That's the needle swinging too far

Jets Insider VIP
    Quote Originally Posted by NY's stepchild View Post
    Yeah, he might hurt his throwing arm, and screw up his delivery.
    Ba
    Zing
    a
    !

All Pro
    why is everyone so dead set on protecting the "backup qb?" their role is there in case sanchez gets hurt, i understand that, but the chances tebow will get hurt doing this stuff, and sanchez later getting hurt THE SAME GAME, is so small. and worst case scenario, we'll STILL have a 3rd qb on the team that can play whenever needed with no more dumb rules about the 3rd qb. the likely hood is so small, it makes the significance of this worry pretty minor. i'll be honest, IMHO, if sanchez went down for the year, our Super Bowl chances are about the same regardless if tebow or mcelroy is the starting qb. so why be so protective of his health and save him for something he's mediocre at best at, when we can be less protective, and use him for a TON of things that he's actually probably REALLY good at?

Sorry if already posted, but didn't see it...

NFL.com story:

Manish Mehta of the New York Daily News reported Tuesday that Tebow is a candidate to see the field on kickoffs. You're not going to see the backup quarterback return kicks, but he's being considered for a spot on the coverage team.

"I think there might be some value there on kickoff returns," assistant special teams coach Ben Kotwica said. "It's something that we've talked about. I don't think there's any option with Tim that we've taken off the table. So, that would be something that would be new to him as well. In what we've asked him to do as the personal (punt) protector (right now), he's done an excellent job."

Kotwica isn't concerned about Tebow's ability to tackle the return man, and why should he be? Tebow is a 250-pound steamroller, and Rex Ryan is going squeeze everything he can out of him.

The Jets have fielded deep criticism for adding Tebow to the roster. We don't know how Mark Sanchez will get through the season with Tebow breathing down his neck, but the Jets seem to understand that Tebow's role -- before quarterback -- is that of a football player. Say what you want about his mechanics, but Tebow is an unusual athlete, and we expect to see him spread him all over the field in 2012.
    The Patriots have one of probably the 3 greatest quarterbacks of all time, still in the prime of his career, they still have Bill Belichick at coach, an embarrassment of weapons on offense, a defense that is up and coming with a bunch of young players that have gained experience in the last couple years. But yet, the only change the Jets seem to be making to try to surpass the Patriots is that they intend to use Tim Tebow on punt formations and kickoff returns. Guess what bois? It's probably going to be a long season, but what can ya do? Remember, in 2007 everybody was buzzing about how the Jets had made big acquisitions by signing Andre Wadsworth, Michael Haynes, and Kimo Von Oelhoffen, morale was high in training camp on the heels of Eric Mangini's first year, and then what happened? The season started. But at least we have Tim Tebow to look forward to on kickoffs and punts...

Hall Of Fame
    Quote Originally Posted by Demosthenes9 View Post
    One of the problems with "reports" citing excerpts from another article is that context and details often get lost.

This is from Manish's actual article:

Special teams coordinator Mike Westhoff, who has returned to the team after missing part of OTAs and minicamp after undergoing leg surgery in May, said Tebow would "possibly" be used as an up back/situational kick returner.

"There are certain situations where he might be on the field that he could be utilized possibly to block or possibly to field a ball," Westhoff told the Daily News. "If a team squibs it at you or pops it at you, he might be the perfect guy to put in that could make an adjustment. If they kick it deep, he could block. If they squib it or pop it, he could be guy that we'd have with a ball in his hands. Jerricho Cotchery did a nice job for us in that role. Brad Smith, before he became they guy, did some of that for us. So, it's just a situational thing."

It's unclear how much special teams work Tebow will get, but Westhoff promised that will help keep the opposition on high alert.

"His role with me won't be a paramount role. I'm not counting on Tebow coming in and being a hardcore four-team special teams player," Westhoff said. "That's not what we want. We have a limited role for him, but it will be one that presents problems. That's what Tebow is all about. He presents problems to good football teams in a lot of aspects. You have to be aware of it. If you're not aware of it, it could jump up and smack you."

Read more: http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/fo...#ixzz21Zv0yBfV
    Serious honest question because I just don't know.

Is he a "hands" guy? Just because he is a QB doesn't necessarily mean that he's got good hands to cover a squib kick--when they put the "hands" team out there on on-side kick situations, it's usually the guys with the best hands on the team--Revis, Keller, Cro, WRs, etc.

I'm all for Tebow playing special teams, I just don't know whether he's got the hands to do it. If he's got good hands, why not?

_

Tebow's roll is being the elephant in the room

Quote Originally Posted by JStokes View Post
    Serious honest question because I just don't know.

Is he a "hands" guy? Just because he is a QB doesn't necessarily mean that he's got good hands to cover a squib kick--when they put the "hands" team out there on on-side kick situations, it's usually the guys with the best hands on the team--Revis, Keller, Cro, WRs, etc.

I'm all for Tebow playing special teams, I just don't know whether he's got the hands to do it. If he's got good hands, why not?

_

I'd have to think that they've already determined that he has good hands, if that is what they are thinking about. Surely they aren't stupid enough to just presume that he can catch/field the ball ??

Quote Originally Posted by Jetfan16 View Post
    The Patriots have one of probably the 3 greatest quarterbacks of all time, still in the prime of his career, they still have Bill Belichick at coach, an embarrassment of weapons on offense, a defense that is up and coming with a bunch of young players that have gained experience in the last couple years. But yet, the only change the Jets seem to be making to try to surpass the Patriots is that they intend to use Tim Tebow on punt formations and kickoff returns. Guess what bois? It's probably going to be a long season, but what can ya do? Remember, in 2007 everybody was buzzing about how the Jets had made big acquisitions by signing Andre Wadsworth, Michael Haynes, and Kimo Von Oelhoffen, morale was high in training camp on the heels of Eric Mangini's first year, and then what happened? The season started. But at least we have Tim Tebow to look forward to on kickoffs and punts...

Cuz there's only 1 way to skin a cat ??

i think the jets strategy at this point is to say tebow will line up everywhere, so the end result is nobody knowing where he will actually be lining up...i think most of these reports are smoke screens by the team.

common sense tells me that there is no chance tebow lines up on kickoffs or kick returns