Thread: Shockey

Shockey

I read today that Shockey took a physical at Phila and that got me thinking about him as a possibility for us.

I normally have an opinion already if I post something, but in this particular case I really don't. Shockey can block and had decent numbers last year, albeit it with not too many receiving options on Carolina last year (37 455 3 tds) and is also big/strong enough to be a decent blocker.

To me it all depends on his attitude....if he can bring some fire along with a good attitude he seems like a decent fit as a second TE in our offense. If he is gonna be a problem, Id rather pass and hope for someone to be released during TC.

Personally I'm still hoping to somehow land Fasano, but curious what you guys think about Shockey as a possibility.

Jets Insider VIP
    Quote Originally Posted by eaglenj View Post
    I read today that Shockey took a physical at Phila and that got me thinking about him as a possibility for us.

I normally have an opinion already if I post something, but in this particular case I really don't. Shockey can block and had decent numbers last year, albeit it with not too many receiving options on Carolina last year (37 455 3 tds) and is also big/strong enough to be a decent blocker.

To me it all depends on his attitude....if he can bring some fire along with a good attitude he seems like a decent fit as a second TE in our offense. If he is gonna be a problem, Id rather pass and hope for someone to be released during TC.

Personally I'm still hoping to somehow land Fasano, but curious what you guys think about Shockey as a possibility.
    N0

Jets Insider VIP
    Super*****/Prom Queen

I'd sign him just to get the 411 on Bountygate. (-;

Seriously, he does come up with big plays and is known to be vocal. I think Sparano can handle him, question is he willing to be handled into playing like a Jet?

Jets Insider VIP
    In Morris Co., N.J. at the right end of a Browning 12 gauge, with Nick to my left n Rex to my right.
    Shockey, the TO of TE's plus he is old and can't catch.

All League
    Quote Originally Posted by Apache 51 View Post
    Shockey, the TO of TE's plus he is old and can't catch.
    Yes. Has he really done anything over the last few years? Just seems like he would be just another "name" and provide no value. IMO

He's way past his best. If Jets brought him in he would just retard the growth of the present TE's - Keller, Cumberland, esp Baker, also Smith assuming he could beat them out in the first place.

It would prolly be a backward step considering Cumby's up to 260 to amongst other things better take the rigors and physicality of blocking, Keller's motivated to improve all round cause he's in a contract year, Baker showed some exciting flashes last year, Smith has that x-factor about him - tough, athletic, excellent eye-hand coordination. There's a lot to work with there

Quote Originally Posted by eaglenj View Post
    Personally I'm still hoping to somehow land Fasano.
    This is happening next year when Fasano becomes a free agent. ... mark it down! Unless, of course, Sparano absolutely tanks this year and is asked to take a hike. Don't see that happening, though. As for Shockey, no thanks.

Jets Insider VIP
    Pass. Injury-prone, immature and (allegedly) very into illicit substances.

He'll sign with NE. They need veteran TEs.

Quote Originally Posted by sg3 View Post
    N0
    THIS

Hall of Fame
    Charter JI Member

Quote Originally Posted by CleatMarks View Post
    He'll sign with NE. They need veteran TEs.

... thought the first sentence said
    h*ll no, go sign with NE!

... then i'd have said + 1 ...

l_j_r

absolutely not...

Well, clearly everyone here is in agreement.

While I'm not pro-shockey either, I am also not convinced that we would be stunting josh baker's growth or that cumberland, coming off such a sever injury, is suddenly going to develop into an adequate blocker.

I like to pull for the little guy as much as anyone, but baker is an H-Back at best, and we really need a TE that can block, since keller is a very poor blocker.

Im not saying shockey is the answer as a blocking TE, but I hope we address that hole in the roster somehow.