Enjoy an Ads-Free Jets Insider - Become a Jets Insider VIP!
Page 5 of 12 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: Very Pessimistic: The Beginning of the End

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by 124 View Post
    Wait, what?

We were handed wins against Buffalo (home game, obviously) and Washington, not to mention by Tony Romo.

Every single thing that could go right happened in 2010. Not every single thing that could go wrong happened last year. Could and should have been worse.
    Plus, the Jets were one of the healthiest teams in the NFL last year.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    12 wins isn't nearly as ludicrous as some of you make it out to be. We won 11 just two years ago -- this team could easily be just as good as that team, if not better, and our schedule is (or at least appears to be, at this juncture) easier.

It's all on Sanchez. If he steps up, we're in good shape to make the playoffs and win 10 or more games. If he stinks, we're looking at 8-8 again.

But allow me join in with the others who have pointed out that our defense will carry us to roughly .500 even if the offense is a disaster...

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by 124 View Post
    Wait, what?

We were handed wins against Buffalo (home game, obviously) and Washington, not to mention by Tony Romo.

Every single thing that could go right happened in 2010. Not every single thing that could go wrong happened last year. Could and should have been worse.
    We stomped Washington.

We easily could have lost to Dallas or the second Buffalo game, I'd agree with that. But we also easily could have beaten Miami in the second game, the Raiders, or the Broncos.

Every record has about 3 games you could have won but lost and 3 games you could have lost but won.

This idea that the Jets were "worse" than their 8-8 record is idiotic.

Jets Insider VIP
    Charter JI Member

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Austin View Post
    We stomped Washington.

We easily could have lost to Dallas or the second Buffalo game, I'd agree with that. But we also easily could have beaten Miami in the second game, the Raiders, or the Broncos.

Every record has about 3 games you could have won but lost and 3 games you could have lost but won.

This idea that the Jets were "worse" than their 8-8 record is idiotic.
    More like SOJF's are the worst because they are idiotic..

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by PatsFanTX View Post
    or not.

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Dirtstar View Post
    or not.
    Other than Mangold missing a few games, what other key player did the Jets lose to injury last year?

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    Other than Mangold missing a few games, what other key player did the Jets lose to injury last year?
    Bryan Thomas.
    Jim Leonhard.
    Jeff Cumberland...although he was only a 2nd TE.
    Mike Devito...missed a few games.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Bryan Thomas (staring OLB) ruptured his achilles tendon and missed 3/4 of the season.

Jim Leonhard (starting safety) missed the final 1/3 of the season with an injured patella (or something.)

Mike DeVito (starting DE) was out for about half the season with various injuries.

I wouldn't call the Jets 2011 campaign "injury plagued" but to say they had no injuries is inaccurate. They were roughly average for NFL standards.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    We definitely didnt stomp Washington.

That was probably the most entertaining game of the season....we were pretty evenly matched.

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP
    Charter JI Member

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by rextilleon View Post
    On the eve of the opening of camp, its very sad to see what the Jets have become. Our offense has been totally ignored--with our number one receiver being a disgruntled prima dona who is not even top ten in the league. Our second receiver is Kerley? Our third receiver is a rookie? Our tight end is totally over-rated. But Rex and BeanCounter know better--we will become a ground and pound team with that scintillating super star, Shonn Greene, carrying the ball, backed up by McKnight! And who is going to open up the holes for these super stars. Mangold can't play all the positions. And what did Bean and Mouth do to improve this mediocre unit? They hired a new coach and gave him nothing to work with but Tim Tebow!

Yes the defense will be top 5-10, but trust me, this will not get them to the playoffs. The only positive thing I can see happening this season is that people will finally understand that Rex is at best, a defensive coordinator and that Bean Counter is at best is an accountant.

I'm prepared for the hate of the fanboys. Just keeping it real.
    **** that, dude. We're going to the Superbowl. 18-0 baby!!

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Based on what?

Hall Of Fame
    Charter JI Member

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by SAR I View Post
    The good news?

This forum will be a ghost-town in October, we'll have it all to ourselves and then we can have productive, realistic conversation of what must happen to restore us to playoff contention.

SAR I
    Yes, because when we think of those involved in productive, realistic conversation you, bigdanNJ, Joe W. Namath, Rextilleon, DDNY and the rest of the sky is falling SOJF crew comes to mind.

Talk about delusional...

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Matt39 View Post
    We definitely didnt stomp Washington.

That was probably the most entertaining game of the season....we were pretty evenly matched.
    Maybe stomped was the wrong word -- it was close for 3 and half quarters.

But we won by 15 points -- it clearly wasn't a game that we "should have lost" (whereas we were admittedly a bit lucky Romo choked away the Cowboys game.)

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by SINYJets View Post
    Bryan Thomas.
    Jim Leonhard.
    Jeff Cumberland...although he was only a 2nd TE.
    Mike Devito...missed a few games.
    Sanchez played hurt all year.
    Eric Smith played hurt all year.
    Greene and LT missed time.
    Rob Turner never played, combined with Cumberland's injury meant a lot more playing time for Mulligan.
    Cromartie played with bruised lungs/ribs.
    Moore recovering from double hip surgery.
    Matt Slauson, bad shoulder.

every team has injury problems, last year's Jets were no exception.
    Last edited by Dirtstar; 07-25-2012 at 11:07 AM.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Yes, because when we think of those involved in productive, realistic conversation you, bigdanNJ, Joe W. Namath, Rextilleon, DDNY and the rest of the sky is falling SOJF crew comes to mind.
    Please re-read my post. I stated the jets could be a 10 win team. Thats not sky is falling buddy. Its called being realistic based on our teams talent and the history of this franchise. Something you blind homers know nothing about or choose to ignore.

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Joe W. Namath View Post
    12 wins? In 51 years, our franchise has won 12 games one time.
    You're saying they're due?

Jets Insider VIP
    Charter JI Member

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Joe W. Namath View Post
    Please re-read my post. I stated the jets could be a 10 win team. Thats not sky is falling buddy. Its called being realistic based on our teams talent and the history of this franchise. Something you blind homers know nothing about or choose to ignore.
    When it came to Chaddy cakes you needed a seeing eye dog..

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Tony Sparano as the offensive coordinator inspires monster confidence that our offense will be excellent!

...or not.

Practice Squad
    Post Thanks / Like
    I hate the Jets and the OP even depressed me!

Cmon! Start or training camp should be a blast!

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    The last nail could be allocating 12-15% of our salary cap to a non-QB for the next 5-7 years. Especially if it turns out that we need to find a new QB. Because we will never be a "terrible team", we will never be able to draft a QB at the top of the draft. So we may end up stuck in neutral for a few years (7-9,8-8,9-7). Which is why it is important for Sanchez to take the next step, which is why I am so critical of what the FO did (or didn't do) with regards to the OL b.c without that, it is impossible to correctly judge his development. And that is not to mention the mental damage a few more beatings can do to him.
    Last edited by DDNYjets; 07-25-2012 at 10:56 AM.