Thread: Obama's Economic Plan has Worked, He Said So Himself

Obama's Economic Plan has Worked, He Said So Himself

Obama on the economy: ‘We tried our plan — and it worked’

July 24, 2012

Washington Examiner

Discussing his economic policies at a fundraiser in Oakland, California, last night, President Obama, told supporters that “we tried our plan — and it worked.”

“We tried that and it didn’t work,” Obama said of Mitt Romney’s proposed tax cuts and spending cuts, which he dismissed as a Bush-style “top down” economic policy. “Just like we’ve tried their plan, we tried our plan — and it worked,” he added later in the speech. “That’s the difference. That’s the choice in this election. That’s why I’m running for a second term.”

Obama made these comments in Oakland, where the unemployment rate was 13.7 percent in May 2012. The national unemployment rate is 8.2 percent — up from 8.1 percent in May — for the second straight month.

To prove that his economic plans have “worked,” Obama cited the auto industry bailouts. “I refused to turn my back on a great industry and American workers,” he said. “Three years later, the American auto industry has come roaring back.”

Obama’s auto bailouts aren’t the unalloyed success he describes. “President Obama’s auto task force pressed General Motors and Chrysler to close scores of dealerships without adequately considering the jobs that would be lost or having a firm idea of the cost savings that would be achieved, an audit of the process has concluded,” The New York Times reported in 2010, based on an audit. “The report … estimated that tens of thousands of jobs were lost as a result.”

The Washington Examiner’s Conn Carroll also observes that Obama bailed out union pensions, while neglecting non-union workers, and decided not to follow the law by paying certain creditors — and still didn’t save money.

“All told Obama’s violations of bankruptcy law made the bailout of GM and Chrysler $26.5 billion more expensive than it had to be,” Carroll explained recently. “And according to Obama’s own Treasury Department, taxpayers stand to lose $23 billion if GM stock were sold today.”

Obama’s view of the economy is not shared by congressional leaders in his own party. “The economy has not recovered,” Rep. Henry Waxman, D-Calif., said in a recent interview. “Some people call it a recession, I think it’s a depression.”

Waxman’s message might not inspire enthusiastic cheers at a campaign rally, but at least he avoided having a Mission Accomplished moment on the economy.
    Four More Years!

Right?

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP
    Charter JI Member

Obama's 2-point re-election strategy:

1. Say whatever the f-ck I want, no matter how blatantly false and ridiculously farfetched it may be

2. Don't worry about the MSM calling me on it -- hell, they're doing a better BS con job for me than I am for myself

All Pro
    Temporarily propped up a collapsing economy? Sure.

Solved any long term issues and implemented much needed reform in several areas? Nope, not even close.

Jets Insider VIP
    He's saved millions of jobs. If you ask him for more details, he'll tell you about his foreign policy successes.

Like leading from behind.

Quote Originally Posted by shakin318 View Post

1. Say whatever the f-ck I want, no matter how blatantly false and ridiculously farfetched it may be

2. Don't worry about the MSM calling me on it -- hell, they're doing a better BS con job for me than I am for myself
    obviously a first time event in our political process....

All League
    Quote Originally Posted by parafly View Post
    Temporarily propped up a collapsing economy? Sure.

Solved any long term issues and implemented much needed reform in several areas? Nope, not even close.
    Agreed.

But the President cannot enact policy without Congress. If one is willing to be critical of the President and his leadership, one must hold those who also wield the power to enact solutions with the same accountability.

I'm looking at you GOP in Congress. The very people that gained from inaction were the same that prevented action.

Quote Originally Posted by SafetyBlitz View Post
    I'm looking at you GOP in Congress. The very people that gained from inaction were the same that prevented action.
    Which is always the case for the Party out of power.

What I find intresting is that you're unwilling to look at the D.

Spending and Tax Bills must originate in the House, and they've passed a plethora of bills this period.

The Senate, D controlled, has not even taken most of them up.

Looks to me like it's te D leadership of the Senate who is obstructing the system. D may not like what the GOP led House passes, but not even alowing it a vote, purely for political reasons (so they won't be on record voting against X, Y or Z)?

Even IF the Senate took it up and passed it, Obama is the Pres. He could Veto if he wished, wouldn't be the first time a Pres had to Veto many things.

I'm hard pressed to point a finger at the side passing many bills, when we have a side not passing much at all, and a Pres who would Veto it all anyway.

If the House were truly as bad as you claim, why then havn't they simply defunded Obamacare, and refused to pass a Continuing Resolution (thus shutting down the Govt. till a Budget or similar is passed?)

On that note, why no Budget at all? Obama couldn't even get his own a single vote, even by a D.

Both sides are playing Politics AND standing for what they believe.

It's just sad to me that you only see that on one side, conveniently the side you stand in opposition to.

All League
    Quote Originally Posted by Warfish View Post

Both sides are playing Politics AND standing for what they believe.

It's just sad to me that you only see that on one side, conveniently the side you stand in opposition to.
    Because it is not equal. The tactics are used by both sides, but not with the same frequency.

Obstructionism by the GOP in Congress has reached unprecedented levels in the past two years. The debt ceiling crises was artificial and obstructionist. The filibuster has rendered Congress completely inept. They have made it common, accepted practice. Executive appointees were simply halted in the confirmation process.

My issues with Obama are about healthcare, Gitmo and the drone program. I do not blame him for birtherism, the Grover-Norquist pledge and thus the inability to compromise from the other side.

Because it is not equal. The tactics are used by both sides, but not with the same frequency.

Obstructionism by the GOP in Congress has reached unprecedented levels in the past two years. The debt ceiling crises was artificial and obstructionist. The filibuster has rendered Congress completely inept. They have made it common, accepted practice. Executive appointees were simply halted in the confirmation process.
    /facepalm

Ok. If you say so.

Talking Point regurgitation is getting real old tbqh.

Consider this my last "Agree to Disagree" of the day. We're not really getting anywhere with this non-exchange.
    Last edited by Warfish; 07-26-2012 at 09:53 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by shakin318 View Post

Romney's 2-point election strategy:

1. Say whatever the f-ck I want, no matter how blatantly false and ridiculously farfetched it may be or how many times I change my stance.

2. Don't worry about Fox News calling me on it -- hell, they're doing a better BS con job for me than I am for myself

and it goes on and on and on.......
    Last edited by intelligentjetsfan; 07-27-2012 at 07:15 AM.

All League
    Quote Originally Posted by Warfish View Post
    /facepalm

Ok. If you say so.

Talking Point regurgitation is getting real old tbqh.

Consider this my last "Agree to Disagree" of the day. We're not really getting anywhere with this non-exchange.
    I'm sorry but the blaming of both sides for the lack of action, just isn't representing what's really happening. I'm not saying Democrats don't lie, take money and do all the sh*t we hate in politicians. I'm saying the GOP have shut down the government during a time we badly need compromise and reform.

Have a listen to these guys - it's short Daily Show segments for those of you with short attention spans:

http://www.thedailyshow.com/watch/mo...nterview-pt--1

http://www.thedailyshow.com/watch/mo...nterview-pt--2

I'm sorry but the blaming of both sides for the lack of action, just isn't representing what's really happening. I'm not saying Democrats don't lie, take money and do all the sh*t we hate in politicians. I'm saying the GOP have shut down the government during a time we badly need compromise and reform.

Have a listen to these guys - it's short Daily Show segments for those of you with short attention spans:

http://www.thedailyshow.com/watch/mo...nterview-pt--1

http://www.thedailyshow.com/watch/mo...nterview-pt--2

Simpson/Bowles deficit commission, put together by Obama?? I'll never forget he called it "a framework for a discussion"....never seriously contemplated any of their reforms to cure our budget issues.

All League
    Quote Originally Posted by Tucker134 View Post
    Simpson/Bowles deficit commission, put together by Obama?? I'll never forget he called it "a framework for a discussion"....never seriously contemplated any of their reforms to cure our budget issues.
    I posted it on here yesterday -

http://www.nytimes.com/2012/04/01/ma...pagewanted=all

That's the debt deal, and why it didn't happen.

Jets Insider VIP
    I posted it on here yesterday -

http://www.nytimes.com/2012/04/01/ma...pagewanted=all

That's the debt deal, and why it didn't happen.
    All due respect..thats a $hitty article from a magazine. It is opinion.

I'm sorry but the blaming of both sides for the lack of action, just isn't representing what's really happening.
    And as I said, when the House has passed dozens of bills and budgets and the like, with something like 30 currently pending in the Senate but denied a vote or debate, claims that it's all "GOP Obstruction" rings like the party-first election-season talking point it is.

This is why we'll have to agree to disagree, we simply don;t agree on the very premise of what "obstruction" is, as you seem to think passing bills is obstruction, and denying bills a debate or vote is good Government.

The GOP has not shut down the Government, and the Dems have not compromised any more than the GOP, a GOP it should be reminded who has caved on every continuing resolution (passage of whcih served (D), not (R)) and on the Transportation Bill/Student Loan Bill recently.

Frankly, I'd be fine if they did shut it down on a short term basis. It's happened before, and we survived just fine. This continuing no-budget scenario with no limtiations or meaningful cuts into our spending deficit is what concerns me.

All Pro
    Agreed.

But the President cannot enact policy without Congress. If one is willing to be critical of the President and his leadership, one must hold those who also wield the power to enact solutions with the same accountability.

I agree with you, but instead of only looking at the GOP in Congress, I'm looking at pretty much every R and D currently and prospectively in power.