Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Joseph Addai

Jets Insider VIP
    Charter JI Member

Quote Originally Posted by ASG0531 View Post
    I honestly never made any predictions about McKnight... I was just using him as an example. You called Ridley and Vereen nothing more than 3rd down backs... which means, if that's the case, the Pats are sitting on three of them and are screwed in their running game. I don't know why they let Addai go, but Ridley and Vereen are two high-round RBs to handle the duties now. I have no idea why you are crapping all over them based on minimal NFL experience. The Pats offense doesn't need a star RB, but they do need someone who can grab the ball and run forward... the Pats do that sometimes, crazy as it sounds.
    They have Danny Woodhead their running game is sound..

I really like Ridley. I think he's well above-average running with the ball. The thing is, Belichick demands that his running backs hold onto the ball above all else. He's willing to sacrifice big gains on the ground for ball security because he doesn't need big gains on the ground to score points.

Quote Originally Posted by John_0515 View Post
    Yards per carry, in the ABSENCE of a significant workload (39 carries is an example of that), means nothing. What you're writing above is the equivalent of trying to troll.
    Agreed. BTW Martin's place in Canton is well deserved. What an awesome rb he was for the Jets. Tough, dependable, good hands - a true franchise rb and bellcow

I honestly never made any predictions about McKnight... I was just using him as an example. You called Ridley and Vereen nothing more than 3rd down backs... which means, if that's the case, the Pats are sitting on three of them and are screwed in their running game. I don't know why they let Addai go, but Ridley and Vereen are two high-round RBs to handle the duties now. I have no idea why you are crapping all over them based on minimal NFL experience. The Pats offense doesn't need a star RB, but they do need someone who can grab the ball and run forward... the Pats do that sometimes, crazy as it sounds.
    I just don't like their RBs. My opinions of what I've seen is what it is. Maybe I didn't see what you did, but one could easily say that when assessing a player from the Jets as well.

Quote Originally Posted by John_0515 View Post
    I just don't like their RBs. My opinions of what I've seen is what it is. Maybe I didn't see what you did, but one could easily say that when assessing a player from the Jets as well.
    Well one of them has only 15 NFL rushing attempts, so I'm not sure what you are watching. Both are relative unknowns, can we leave it at that? Running backs are the most fungible parts of the modern NFL offense, one of them will be perfectly effective and the offense will continue to hum. If one becomes a stud or a pass-catcher, it's a huge bonus.

Jets Insider VIP
    Charter JI Member

Quote Originally Posted by FijiJet View Post
    Agreed. BTW Martin's place in Canton is well deserved. What an awesome rb he was for the Jets. Tough, dependable, good hands - a true franchise rb and bellcow
    Durable? Absolutely..But 4 ypc and 7 tds a year avg for the Jets is awesome?? Then what was TJ?? He holds records for most carries but not most yards in a game or a playoff game.. I agree he was a fine workhorse but in my 55+ years of watching football awesome was watching Jim Brown,Gale Sayers,Earl Campbell but Cumar?? The 14 yds rushing in the AFCCG at Denver and the fumble that lost us Vinny the very next year did it for me..

All Pro
    [QUOTE=Savage69;4523296]Durable? Absolutely..But 4 ypc and 7 tds a year avg for the Jets is awesome?? Then what was TJ?? He holds records for most carries but not most yards in a game or a playoff game.. I agree he was a fine workhorse but in my 55+ years of watching football awesome was watching Jim Brown,Gale Sayers,Earl Campbell but Cumar?? The 14 yds rushing in the AFCCG at Denver and the fumble that lost us Vinny the very next year did it for me..[/QUOTE]

That, and failing to score vs a weak BUF at home Sunday, December 30, 2001 to clinch the playoffs did it for me
    123 yards compiled and no TD
    Last edited by Jungle Shift Jet; 07-25-2012 at 07:44 PM.

Jets Insider VIP
    If he's healthy, I'd have no problem with bringing him in.

At least you know he can pick up a blitz and catch the ball out of the backfield.

How anyone can be comfortable with our current RB situation is beyond me. For a team that is supposedly so hell bent on getting back to "Ground and Pound", we don't really have the horses to make it work.

Hall Of Fame
    Quote Originally Posted by Jordy View Post
    Have any pats RB's left the pats and succeeded anywhere else?

My guess is the law firm does very little in Cincy.

Pats RB's have always been a product of Brady's talent as a QB.

Woodhead is a prime example.
    Dude.

Curtis Martin.

I can't believe the Addai Era is over.

all we have now is the memories. Oh but what memories they are...

Forget Cedric Benson and Ryan Grant, if the Jets feel they NEED to sign a veteran, although I don't think they do, this is the guy they should go after for numerous reasons, including if McKnight does indeed falter, for third down. He can also run between the tackles.

Pats dumping the only vet RB right before training camp says good things for Ridley and Vereen... they will be carrying the rock this season, get used to them.
    Or...

Addai just sucks at this point and the Pats will need to look somewhere else...

Veteran
    Quote Originally Posted by Untouchable View Post
    If he's healthy, I'd have no problem with bringing him in.

At least you know he can pick up a blitz and catch the ball out of the backfield.

How anyone can be comfortable with our current RB situation is beyond me. For a team that is supposedly so hell bent on getting back to "Ground and Pound", we don't really have the horses to make it work.
    I wouldn't either. Addai was always one of those guys that could break your back on 3rd down. I have a feeling he is either hurt or just isn't remotely the same player.

Jets Insider VIP
    Quote Originally Posted by DDNYjets View Post
    Dude.

Curtis Martin.

LOL. I mentioned Brady for a reason. (during the "Brady era")

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP

Forget about a star RB, the Pats need someone who can carry the ball 200+ times and be effective. Ridley and Vereen, combined, barely carried the ball 100 times. Could they be effective? Absolutely - the talent is certainly there. But, when they get the ball 12-15 times a game (or more), its a lot different than 5-6 times.

Going back to Leon Washington, its not simply a matter of durability (which is definitely a huge factor), its also a matter of running styles. When Leon was a change of pace back, it was OK to lose a few yards every once in a while. He was the HR hitter. So, in an effort to break the big one, he would do a lot of East/West manuevering to try and find the right hole. He broke a lot of big runs, but also had a number of negative plays. That's OK from your change of pace guy. But, when you are the primary RB, you need to be more of a North/South kinda guy - the guy who, when there's nothing there, puts his head down and picks up the 2 yards, rather than bouncing it outside in an effort to break it open.

Its a different mentality that doesn't necessarily come automatically. Again, we have no idea what will happen when they get the ball regularly - assuming that that's the actual plan. But to simply extrapolate from 5.1 ypc that they will be effective in a full time role is not looking at the whole picture.

Quote Originally Posted by Jordy View Post
    Schefter reporting that pats released Joseph Addai.

Anyone believe he is worth taking a look at?

Are there health issues?
    I love when things don't pan out for the Pats...Just saw a news report about the huge impact Addai would have on the Pats...

I think the Pats will scape together a decent running game, like they always do.

It would be nice for the running game to take some of the pressure off Brady, and also be able to run out the clock at the end of close games. I have no idea if the Pats can do that with this group.

I have liked what I have seen of Ridley in small samples, but he fumbled, and BB basically benched him for the playoffs after that. So ball control is the main concern. The law firm was not spectacular but he always fell forward, and he never fumbled, not once in his entire career. We can't expect a no fumble season out of the group, but they better be close.

I also like that they have a full off season this year, instead of the strike season last year, so I expect big improvement out of the young core.

What may kill me is that the Pats didn't take Murray the Cowboys RB, who looks like he will be a stud. The Pats needed a RB, and took 2 very high, and that will hurt if his career keeps rising. and the Pats duo are just a couple of average backs.

Quote Originally Posted by crasherino View Post
    Forget about a star RB, the Pats need someone who can carry the ball 200+ times and be effective. Ridley and Vereen, combined, barely carried the ball 100 times. Could they be effective? Absolutely - the talent is certainly there. But, when they get the ball 12-15 times a game (or more), its a lot different than 5-6 times.

Going back to Leon Washington, its not simply a matter of durability (which is definitely a huge factor), its also a matter of running styles. When Leon was a change of pace back, it was OK to lose a few yards every once in a while. He was the HR hitter. So, in an effort to break the big one, he would do a lot of East/West manuevering to try and find the right hole. He broke a lot of big runs, but also had a number of negative plays. That's OK from your change of pace guy. But, when you are the primary RB, you need to be more of a North/South kinda guy - the guy who, when there's nothing there, puts his head down and picks up the 2 yards, rather than bouncing it outside in an effort to break it open.

Its a different mentality that doesn't necessarily come automatically. Again, we have no idea what will happen when they get the ball regularly - assuming that that's the actual plan. But to simply extrapolate from 5.1 ypc that they will be effective in a full time role is not looking at the whole picture.

Nobody expects Ridley to rush at a 5.1 ypc clip over a larger sample of rushing attempts. But between the two of them they should be capable of handling the RB duties adequately for that offense. I just don't get the criticism of two guys with a combined 102 career rushing attempts. Let's wait and see, shall we? And if they don't pan out, the Pats will grab somebody out there. Running backs are a dime a dozen, it's not a big deal. Law Firm averaged 3.7 ypc last season, he's the definition of replaceable.

Rookie
    Vereen has very good hands for a RB and with Josh back at OC I expect to see more screens and flare/dump off passes to him as part of the running game. It seemed like BOB abandoned that part of the offense for the most part last season.

Ridley is a good between the tackles runner. I don't expect to see a dancing queen impression from him ala Maroney.

It still remains to be seen if the offense will include a true FB.

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP

Nobody expects Ridley to rush at a 5.1 ypc clip over a larger sample of rushing attempts. But between the two of them they should be capable of handling the RB duties adequately for that offense. I just don't get the criticism of two guys with a combined 102 career rushing attempts. Let's wait and see, shall we? And if they don't pan out, the Pats will grab somebody out there. Running backs are a dime a dozen, it's not a big deal. Law Firm averaged 3.7 ypc last season, he's the definition of replaceable.
    I didn't say you claimed they would run at the same clip - I suggested you are using that figure do claim that the duo of Ridley/Vereen will be able to handle the RB duties. And while the law firm is certainly replaceable, there is something to be said for being durable - something that these guys haven't shown yet. That's not a knock on them as individual players, but it is a knock on the Pats depth in that area. We'll ultimately see what happens at their RB spot because, as you suggest, its not that hard to find a RB. But, going into a season without a proven guy is somewhat surprising. For any team.