Page 4 of 11 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast
Results 61 to 80 of 210

Thread: Newly acquired T Jeff Otah failed Jets physical; placed on active/PUP.

  1. #61
    Hall of Fame
    Charter JI Member

    Join Date
    May 1999
    Location
    Atlanta via NJ
    Posts
    8,117
    Quote Originally Posted by ASH_1962 View Post
    This looks, on paper to me, to be the 4th place team in the AFCE, 3rd place at best with a 6-10 or 7-9 record.

    ASH

    ... let me just address this one part of your post ...


    ... what record are you thinking the dolphins are going to finish with? ...




    l_j_r

  2. #62
    Quote Originally Posted by LI JET FAN View Post
    Otah saw Dr Andrews the #1 orthopedic surgeon Sports doctor in the country and he gave his knee a clean bill of health. Relax 5 week till kick off.
    How so, when the jets failed him?

  3. #63
    Quote Originally Posted by patman View Post
    How so, when the jets failed him?
    Because there's a difference between being fine for the real world and being fine for the NFL world.

  4. #64
    Quote Originally Posted by patman View Post
    How so, when the jets failed him?
    could be that he failed his cardio workout

  5. #65
    All Pro
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Hawthorne NJ
    Posts
    7,685
    Quote Originally Posted by DDNYjets View Post
    Except for that one event the league hosts every year in NYC. What do they call that again?

    If the RT position cripples our offense again that would be inexcusable.
    Yeah we will see there. We could have taken Reiff, but he's not a right tackle, and again cost prohibitive. We could have reached on a couple guys in round 2. I think we might have taken one of the four tackles taken ahead of us in round 2. When Hill fell to us I think they had to grab him. Time will tell on that one. If Hill is less than stellar, then you win this argument, depending on how Adams pans out. There was no one left after round two who could have started this year.

  6. #66
    Quote Originally Posted by McGinley View Post
    Because there's a difference between being fine for the real world and being fine for the NFL world.
    Well besides his mother, no one cares if he can walk without pain. Otah's group said Andrews reported that the knee was structurally sound when he had it examined after it swelled up in mini-camp. (I take structurally sound to mean no tears, even though the area is inflamed)

    I took exception to the poster saying Andrews gave him clean bill of health and two months later the jets failed him.

    Then he said to relax as there is 5 weeks to wait. There is only one week to nullify the trade, after that if he can not play the jets are responsible for the
    injury settlement.
    Last edited by patman; 07-26-2012 at 07:53 AM.

  7. #67
    All Pro
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Hawthorne NJ
    Posts
    7,685
    Quote Originally Posted by jetlifer View Post
    could be that he failed his cardio workout
    Yes. Don't listen to these Swansons. They'll give him the full week to pass the physical if his knee is sound. They will send him back today if it's not. So if he's still on the team tomorrow then you can bet his knee wasn't the problem.

  8. #68
    Hall Of Fame
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    New York
    Posts
    19,757
    Quote Originally Posted by NY's stepchild View Post
    Yeah we will see there. We could have taken Reiff, but he's not a right tackle, and again cost prohibitive. We could have reached on a couple guys in round 2. I think we might have taken one of the four tackles taken ahead of us in round 2. When Hill fell to us I think they had to grab him. Time will tell on that one. If Hill is less than stellar, then you win this argument, depending on how Adams pans out. There was no one left after round two who could have started this year.
    I am actually happy with all of our picks. I think the top 3 guys will all play significant roles this year. I love the Hill pick. I don't expect him to be Randy Moss but I think he will help our offense even when he is not getting the ball.

    But IMO we needed to address the RT position. Whether via FA or the draft or a trade. Trading for a guy who has barely played the past two years doesn't suffice IMO. Somehow they needed to find a competent RT this offseason and they did not. Banking on Hunter improving is too risky IMO.

    Hopefully Otah pans out and turns out to be a steal but to make the success of the offense dependent on finding diamonds in the rough is negligent. I think we could have found an average player to plug in and not have to worry about. I do not think that is too much to ask. I understand you can;t have great players at every position but we were non-competitive at RT last season.
    Last edited by DDNYjets; 07-26-2012 at 08:15 AM.

  9. #69
    Quote Originally Posted by DDNYjets View Post
    Except for that one event the league hosts every year in NYC. What do they call that again?

    If the RT position cripples our offense again that would be inexcusable.
    So instead of taking Coples they reach on a RT that turns out to be average. 4 years down the road when Coples is a pro bowler and our average RT is marginally better than Hunter, guys like you freak out because we didn't take the best player available.

    You have no idea how the Jets rated the avaialble RTs in the draft and from their perspective the players available were not going to be a big enough upgrade over Hunter this year to warrant reaching for a player rather than taking the best available player.

  10. #70
    Veteran
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Vinegar Hill, Brooklyn ...
    Posts
    2,229
    Quote Originally Posted by patman View Post
    How so, when the jets failed him?
    Clearly what this is saying is that his knee is not the issue. Likely the guy is not in shape after rehabbing/resting the knee following the swelling in mini-camp.

    I said it before that the last straw for Carolina was likely that he failed his pre-camp conditioning test. The Panthers would have told the Jets that and the Jets would have expected Otah to fail their own physical which he did. It's a gamble to motivate a player and give him a small window to get himself sufficiently conditioned for camp.

    The man has one week to get himself in shape or he gets returned and likely cut by Carolina.

    If this was the Saints not the Jets, they would ship him back, wait for Carolina to cut him and then sign him back for no draft pick. The Jets however will not do that ...

    The more than likely knew before they signed him that he would fail their physical and he would have one week to see if he can get himself in shape to pass the conditioning tests.

  11. #71
    All Pro
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Hawthorne NJ
    Posts
    7,685
    Quote Originally Posted by DDNYjets View Post
    I am actually happy with all of our picks. I think the top 3 guys will all play significant roles this year. I love the Hill pick. I don't expect him to be Randy Moss but I think he will help our offense even when he is not getting the ball.

    But IMO we needed to address the RT position. Whether via FA or the draft or a trade. Trading for a guy who has barely played the past two years doesn't suffice IMO. Somehow they needed to find a competent RT this offseason and they did not. Banking on Hunter improving is too risky IMO.

    Hopefully Otah pans out and turns out to be a steal but to make the success of the offense dependent on finding diamonds in the rough is negligent. I think we could have found an average player to plug in and not have to worry about. I do not think that is too much to ask. I understand you can;t have great players at every position but we were non-competitive at RT last season.
    I still say this was the worst year in history for FA right tackles. Who did you want us to get? Carey is still there, but will he be an upgrade?

  12. #72
    Quote Originally Posted by revischrist View Post
    So instead of taking Coples they reach on a RT that turns out to be average. 4 years down the road when Coples is a pro bowler and our average RT is marginally better than Hunter, guys like you freak out because we didn't take the best player available.

    You have no idea how the Jets rated the avaialble RTs in the draft and from their perspective the players available were not going to be a big enough upgrade over Hunter this year to warrant reaching for a player rather than taking the best available player.
    exactly. tanny knew they probably wouldn't address RT during either FA or the draft, since the only true upgrade in FA was winston, and he cost a fortune, and the RTs in round 1 weren't worth taking when the jets picked. the best teams take the best players in the draft and fill holes around them.

    great quote by the giants GM after the draft. he was asked why they took so many offensive players. his response was basically, they were the best available players at that time. if you get good players, your team gets better. then you can use depth to trade for positions of need. it also means if guys get hurt or leave via FA you're not screwed.

  13. #73
    Hall Of Fame
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    New York
    Posts
    19,757
    Quote Originally Posted by revischrist View Post
    So instead of taking Coples they reach on a RT that turns out to be average. 4 years down the road when Coples is a pro bowler and our average RT is marginally better than Hunter, guys like you freak out because we didn't take the best player available.

    You have no idea how the Jets rated the avaialble RTs in the draft and from their perspective the players available were not going to be a big enough upgrade over Hunter this year to warrant reaching for a player rather than taking the best available player.
    Way to take my comment and put it on steroids to suit your argument.

    Hunter is the worst starting T in the league. There are backups that are better than him. We should be able to find them.
    Last edited by DDNYjets; 07-26-2012 at 08:55 AM.

  14. #74
    Hall Of Fame
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    New York
    Posts
    19,757
    Quote Originally Posted by NY's stepchild View Post
    I still say this was the worst year in history for FA right tackles. Who did you want us to get? Carey is still there, but will he be an upgrade?
    I agree with you. The FA tackle class is weak. And I can't knock Tanny for not wanting to spend a ton of money at he position. We can't have high priced FAs at every position.

    But it goes to show you how you end up paying for poor draft choices. Ducasse is a waste. He should have been our answer. Now we are paying the price 2,3,4 years later.

    Almost anything would be an upgrade over Hunter. The Otah trade is nice if it was for depth. But we needed to find a guy that could start.

    I think they have shown way too much faith in Hunter. And the insurance policy is a guy who hasn't played in two years. I have a hard time counting on Otah.

    Hopefully someone becomes available during camp. All we need is an average or even a below average player, right now we have a horrible player at the position.

  15. #75
    Banned
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    Long Island
    Posts
    13,518
    Quote Originally Posted by FF2 View Post
    my numbers are good.
    ....for me to poop on.

  16. #76
    Banned
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Location
    Houston, TX
    Posts
    52,055
    Jets next FA signing:



  17. #77
    Quote Originally Posted by PatsFanTX View Post
    Jets next FA signing:


    That's a good one.

  18. #78
    Hall Of Fame
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    New York
    Posts
    19,757
    Quote Originally Posted by PatsFanTX View Post
    Jets next FA signing:


    Nice one.





    Pats next "genius steal":


  19. #79
    JetsInsider.com Legend
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Electric Avenue
    Posts
    26,250
    Quote Originally Posted by Gangrene View Post
    Clearly what this is saying is that his knee is not the issue. Likely the guy is not in shape after rehabbing/resting the knee following the swelling in mini-camp.

    I said it before that the last straw for Carolina was likely that he failed his pre-camp conditioning test. The Panthers would have told the Jets that and the Jets would have expected Otah to fail their own physical which he did. It's a gamble to motivate a player and give him a small window to get himself sufficiently conditioned for camp.

    The man has one week to get himself in shape or he gets returned and likely cut by Carolina.

    If this was the Saints not the Jets, they would ship him back, wait for Carolina to cut him and then sign him back for no draft pick. The Jets however will not do that ...

    The more than likely knew before they signed him that he would fail their physical and he would have one week to see if he can get himself in shape to pass the conditioning tests.
    I imagine the Jets felt that there was a good chance that Otah would be cut. But I'm guessing that they wanted "exclusive" rights to him so they made the conditional trade. If they ship him back and he's cut, there's no guarantee he will sign with the Jets.

  20. #80
    Quote Originally Posted by revischrist View Post
    So instead of taking Coples they reach on a RT that turns out to be average. 4 years down the road when Coples is a pro bowler and our average RT is marginally better than Hunter, guys like you freak out because we didn't take the best player available.

    You have no idea how the Jets rated the avaialble RTs in the draft and from their perspective the players available were not going to be a big enough upgrade over Hunter this year to warrant reaching for a player rather than taking the best available player.
    LOL

    + infinity

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Follow Us