Page 9 of 11 FirstFirst ... 7891011 LastLast

Thread: Newly acquired T Jeff Otah failed Jets physical; placed on active/PUP.

Guys I wouldn't be too worried about the "disengaged" comments. Sounds like he has an idea that the Jets are going to keep him, remember the physical is subjective.

I think Tanny and Rex just wanted to take a week to test the guy's motivation and work ethic before they officially approve the trade.

As many here have said, the potential upside is too big. Determine if he can get healthy by week 6 and PUP him, or IR him and see if he can step in next year.

For this upcoming season, we may still need to sign Vernon Carey. I dread the thought of Wayne Hunter starting.

Veteran
    Quote Originally Posted by JetsCrazey View Post
    Guys I wouldn't be too worried about the "disengaged" comments. Sounds like he has an idea that the Jets are going to keep him, remember the physical is subjective.

I think Tanny and Rex just wanted to take a week to test the guy's motivation and work ethic before they officially approve the trade.

As many here have said, the potential upside is too big. Determine if he can get healthy by week 6 and PUP him, or IR him and see if he can step in next year.

For this upcoming season, we may still need to sign Vernon Carey. I dread the thought of Wayne Hunter starting.

Rex is talking up Wayne Hunter, a storm ... but we all know what that means ....

Veron Casey makes sense if he is in shape ....

Jets Insider VIP
    Even if the trade fails, Tanny was right to throw the dice on this one.

All League
    Pretty funny from one of the posters on the Panthers site:

OceanPanther
    What are they asking him to do,, something like go on the field or something crazy like that ???? they need to be a little more open minded in NY..

Banned
    I personally love the trade. It's foolish of us to rush Jeff Otah back from injury. He's only 26 years of age, just turned 26 in June as well... This kid is young enough to recover into a very solid RT moving forward. Like another poster stated, even if he doesn't pass his physical tomorrow, he's still worth keeping around. The upside is too high to quit on a talent such as Otah after only 1 or 2 weeks of training camp. Hopefully he can get in shape by week 6 as a potential future starting RT, if not? Give him the entire year along with next offseason of healing in order to become our RT starter. I hate talking about "next year", but he could be worth the wait.

All Pro
    Next year he is a FA. Why would we sit him and pay $1.1 mil to heal? I suppose we could franchise or put some sort of tender on him at the end of the year.

That and I would love to see the guy acting a little more fired up/hungry, but it's hard to judge character and attitude from behind my keyboard, just saying.

And another thing, I can call Otah a kid cause I'm old, if you are under thirty please stop calling him a kid, insert dude, guy, man. If you are not old enough to be his Dad, then you can't call him a kid, it's against the rules.

Hall Of Fame
    Franchise him? WTF.

Hall of Fame
    Charter JI Member

Quote Originally Posted by DDNYjets View Post
    Franchise him? WTF.
    You wouldn't franchise a guy who by that time wouldn't have played a game in 3 years?

All Pro
    I didn't say we should franchise him, my point is I do not understand the advantage in letting him set and heal when he will walk to the highest bidder at the end of the year.

Quote Originally Posted by NY2FLDWC85 View Post
    I personally love the trade. It's foolish of us to rush Jeff Otah back from injury. He's only 26 years of age, just turned 26 in June as well... This kid is young enough to recover into a very solid RT moving forward. Like another poster stated, even if he doesn't pass his physical tomorrow, he's still worth keeping around. The upside is too high to quit on a talent such as Otah after only 1 or 2 weeks of training camp. Hopefully he can get in shape by week 6 as a potential future starting RT, if not? Give him the entire year along with next offseason of healing in order to become our RT starter. I hate talking about "next year", but he could be worth the wait.
    Pay him to heal for a year so he can sign then with someone else?

Quote Originally Posted by gunnails View Post
    I didn't say we should franchise him, my point is I do not understand the advantage in letting him set and heal when he will walk to the highest bidder at the end of the year.
    Because most Jets fans would prefer Bernie during his Weekend to Hunter. If he has a 10% chance of coming to life that's better than a 100% chance of Hunter.

Hall of Fame
    Charter JI Member

Quote Originally Posted by ASG0531 View Post
    Jet fans would prefer Bernie during his Weekend to Hunter. even with a 0% chance of coming to life that's better than a 100% chance of Hunter.

... fixed, + 1 ...

l_j_r

Quote Originally Posted by FF2 View Post
    If the Jets do it, it's AWESSSSSOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOMMMMEEE!!!!!!! to DWC.

Like you I am hoping that he passes his physical cause the Jets are in dire need of quality starter/depth at RT. Hunter is way too inconsistent and I doubt his resolve to be consistently effective at such a crucial position

Jets Insider VIP
    Quote Originally Posted by FF2 View Post
    We're talking football here

Quote Originally Posted by PatsFanTX View Post
    Jets should have signed Vernon Carey.
    I actually agree with you and make an objective point for once.

Carey is probably just as bad of a pass protector as Hunter by now - that's why he's a Guard - but he'd give us depth at 3 positions on the OL.

If he does not pass his physical this week after having a year to heal keep the pick. The panthers will cut him and then the jets can sign him in a few weeks if the knee improves. The jets have 5 mill in cap room, they will need it if a RT becomes available.

As far as keeping him for the year, placing him on pup for the first 6 weeks means he is on the roster and his contract is guaranteed for the year, so you might as well keep him if he is ready to go or not.

Jets Insider VIP
    Today's the day....
    He is triumphant hero or woeful bust.

The trainers will let us know.

Veteran
    Sorry if this was already answered - was "failing to pass his physical" ever clarified? Was it knee, conditioning or a combination?

Quote Originally Posted by patman View Post
    If he does not pass his physical this week after having a year to heal keep the pick. The panthers will cut him and then the jets can sign him in a few weeks if the knee improves. The jets have 5 mill in cap room, they will need it if a RT becomes available.

As far as keeping him for the year, placing him on pup for the first 6 weeks means he is on the roster and his contract is guaranteed for the year, so you might as well keep him if he is ready to go or not.
    Not necessarily , do you see the Chiefs backup tackle situation. They are in dire need of a tackle. Right now there isn't much out there and if it's not the Jets someone will roll the dice on Jeff Otah despite his health risk.