Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Biggest ? area on the team IMO, is at TE

Biggest ? area on the team IMO, is at TE

While I think the team is high on Keller and Cumberland to play 1 and 2 at the TE position this season, and there is a lot of intrigue with the development of Josh Baker and the Hayden Smith project, I'm still not sure this position is done being addressed.

Seeing how the Jets made a move at RT in Otah as a reclamation project, I think the biggest area of need is the blocking TE.

I think Anthony Fasano bears watching, there are rumors he could be released in Miami, and does not fit in Philbin's system. He could be a cap casualty as he carries a high cap number. He's a Sparano favorite and is a versatile and very good blocking TE.

If Hayden Smith doesn't work out, I think the team brings in a blocking TE at some point during camp.

That's just one area. Keller plays solid for the first 4-5 games and that's it. Cumberland showed tremendous potential. If healthy he could really be a burner. Add Fasano to this mix and we are ok.

O line, I hope D'brick improves, because we truly over paid him for his crappy season. Hunter is what he is, just not that good, but we added a one legged tackle to help out. We also have zero proven backups for the entire line.

We have no running backs with break away ability. Greene is too soft to be an every down back. McNight just sucks.

Sanchez is not a true leader, he has shown zero leadership abilities so far. He need to grow a pair and take over the O.

Our number one receiver is an over rate slot receiver and gets zero seperation and is not a deep threat.

Rookie draft class not included.

Aussie will make the team along Keller and prob Baker or Cumby. Im prob wrong tho.

I still have to say OLB. I can't even say which one of these guys will make the roster much less starts. Just think there are still more questions then answers. Should make for an interesting preseason.

Quote Originally Posted by Dreamers View Post
    I still have to say OLB. I can't even say which one of these guys will make the roster much less starts. Just think there are still more questions then answers. Should make for an interesting preseason.
    I like the potential at OLB with Maybin adding size and potentially having a bigger role.

I also think Sapp is going to be a sleeper for us this year.

Jets Insider VIP
    TE RT OLB QB- pick one

All Pro
    safety and it's not even close (when considering it's importance). we could have a successful offense without ANY TE's. and we at least have a lot of young potential players at OLB, but safety, it's scary. the most experienced one is awful. our most talented one has a crazy high probability of getting hurt. then we have an old vet who'll be new to the system. then a couple young guys that have never done a thing. that scares me the most.

IMO RB is the biggest area of need right now followed by RT. Blocking TE's are a dime a dozen.

All Pro
    Quote Originally Posted by chiefst2000 View Post
    IMO RB is the biggest area of need right now followed by RT. Blocking TE's are a dime a dozen.
    RB's are dime a dozen too. a scrub can look good if the system is good. we need to fix the system, not the RB depth.

Jets biggest concern is RT

Jets Insider VIP
    Board Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by jeT.MAC View Post
    Aussie will make the team along Keller and prob Baker or Cumby. Im prob wrong tho.
    Agreed Highly doubt that Hayden Smith makes the team.

Quote Originally Posted by jeT.MAC View Post
    Agreed. This remains the bigest need till Otah or someone else steps and shows they have it handled. TE has enough depth and potential, Baker showed his all round ability last year. Keller is in a contract year and flash Cumby put on some bulk (about 260 now) to help with the blocking strength etc. Hayden Smith could be an x-factor from all accounts.

Rb could be decent. I don't see what's so crappy about McKnight - some people just can't be reasoned with I guess. We got the war horse Greene back there and some young bulls in Ganaway etc

Jets Insider VIP
    If Fasano shakes loose, that's a signing that you have to make.

I believe he graded out as the best blocking TE in the league last year and was in the Top 5 in the 2-3 years prior to that if I'm not mistaken. He's no slouch as a receiver either. He's not a gamebreaker, but he can make a few plays over the middle and in the redzone.

I have no idea why so many people think we're set with Cumberland, Baker, and Smith.

Cumberland hasn't done dick outside of the pre-season and the same can pretty much be said about Baker. Smith has absolutely zero football experience and will probably be stashed on the practice squad.

For a team that wants to put a heavy emphasis on the "Ground and Pound" philosophy, we don't have a single blocking TE on the roster.

The jets will have comp for Fasano, unless they pick him up on waivers. But Tampa may jump in as their offense will be re-tooling this season also. This is probably a bleacher report rumor.

He is a very good compliment to Keller, and will be cheaper to sign next year. This year he will allow Keller to be more fresh as his blocking duties will be decreased.

Hall of Fame
    Charter JI Member

Originally Posted by jeT.MAC

Quote Originally Posted by FijiJet View Post
    Agreed. This remains the bigest need till Otah or someone else steps and shows they have it handled.

... + 2 ...

l_j_r

Its not even close ... RB and Safety are our biggest concerns .... Period. Oh yeah ... And then of course .. There is RT.

Quote Originally Posted by Ray Ray19 View Post
    While I think the team is high on Keller and Cumberland to play 1 and 2 at the TE position this season, and there is a lot of intrigue with the development of Josh Baker and the Hayden Smith project, I'm still not sure this position is done being addressed.

Seeing how the Jets made a move at RT in Otah as a reclamation project, I think the biggest area of need is the blocking TE.

I think Anthony Fasano bears watching, there are rumors he could be released in Miami, and does not fit in Philbin's system. He could be a cap casualty as he carries a high cap number. He's a Sparano favorite and is a versatile and very good blocking TE.

If Hayden Smith doesn't work out, I think the team brings in a blocking TE at some point during camp.

Yes, of course, TE is the biggest question mark on the team. Because that is a position that usually determines winning and losing, much more so than your offensive line (*cough* Wayne Hunter, *cough* no depth) or the pass rush (*cough* same slow starting OLBs) or safety, where we couldn't cover anyone last year (*cough*, Landry hurt as always, Bell old and slow). But yeah, you're right, it's all about the Tight Ends. A great Jets coach once had that same philosophy in the 1995 draft. Worked out well.

Im not exactly sure how anyone watches this team last year and says blocking tight end is our biggest need.

RT, Safety, RB, WR....and yeah QB would go ahead of that.

Hall Of Fame

TE is not even in the Top 5 of needs or worries. We can have a backup OL play blocking TE.

1. QB play. Will it be good or bad or inconsistent.
    2. S. Will any of them be able to cover the TE.
    3. RT.
    4. OLB/Pass rush. Will the front end help the back end.
    5. WR. Can Hill become a deep threat to keep opposing defenses honest and open up things for Tone and the running game.
    6. RB. Can Greene be the No. 1 back and stay healthy. Can McKnight be the #2. Who will be catching the balls out of the backfield. Blitz pickup.

Hall Of Fame
    Quote Originally Posted by DDNYjets View Post

TE is not even in the Top 5 of needs or worries. We can have a backup OL play blocking TE.

1. QB play. Will it be good or bad or inconsistent.
    2. S. Will any of them be able to cover the TE.
    3. RT.
    4. OLB/Pass rush. Will the front end help the back end.
    5. WR. Can Hill become a deep threat to keep opposing defenses honest and open up things for Tone and the running game.
    6. RB. Can Greene be the No. 1 back and stay healthy. Can McKnight be the #2. Who will be catching the balls out of the backfield. Blitz pickup.
    While I agree that TE is not the biggest question mark this season, simply using an OL as a blocking TE is not a solution either. Using an OL as a blocking TE allows the defense to have to account for one less player. The main benefit in having an all around TE (blocking/receiving ability) is that the defense has to account for that player and is one less defender they can use for the other players.