Enjoy an Ads-Free Jets Insider - Become a Jets Insider VIP!
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Biggest ? area on the team IMO, is at TE

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Toooon View Post
    Yes, of course, TE is the biggest question mark on the team. Because that is a position that usually determines winning and losing, much more so than your offensive line (*cough* Wayne Hunter, *cough* no depth) or the pass rush (*cough* same slow starting OLBs) or safety, where we couldn't cover anyone last year (*cough*, Landry hurt as always, Bell old and slow). But yeah, you're right, it's all about the Tight Ends. A great Jets coach once had that same philosophy in the 1995 draft. Worked out well.
    Last year our starting blocking TE was Matt Mulligan, and he was god awful.

The fact that so many fans on this site CONTINUE to ignore this, and ignore the FACT that the TE position was as big if not a bigger reason for the problems the team had with pass protection last year, and NOT the OL is mindboggling.

Ferguson struggled too when you look at some of the numbers, does he all of a sudden suck?

No, the problem is how the Jets ran their pass protection schemes, the philosophy change of the offense to the short passing game and no viable threat to throw the ball down field allowed defenses to move up in the box and go after the QB a lot more because the Jets did not present enough of a threat to stretch the field, couple this with the very poor performance of the TE in pass protection, and perhaps the poor decision making to deploy better or make changes to pass protection schemes, we have the problems the Jets had last year, it's not always just the OL.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Ray, do yourself a favor, PM a Mod and beg them to delete this thread.

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Ray Ray19 View Post
    While I think the team is high on Keller and Cumberland to play 1 and 2 at the TE position this season, and there is a lot of intrigue with the development of Josh Baker and the Hayden Smith project, I'm still not sure this position is done being addressed.

Seeing how the Jets made a move at RT in Otah as a reclamation project, I think the biggest area of need is the blocking TE.

I think Anthony Fasano bears watching, there are rumors he could be released in Miami, and does not fit in Philbin's system. He could be a cap casualty as he carries a high cap number. He's a Sparano favorite and is a versatile and very good blocking TE.

If Hayden Smith doesn't work out, I think the team brings in a blocking TE at some point during camp.

Late-rising TE prospects

TE Tarren Lloyd, Utah State
    Ht
    : 6-6 1/8 | Wt: 256 | Sp: 4.73 | Arm: 33 | Hand: 8 7/8
    Big, in-line blocking tight end with good foot speed who helped pave the way for one of the nationís most productive rushing attacks. Former walk-on with limited career production, but understands positioning, generates movement in the run game and is a functional short receiver. Needs to get stronger.

http://www.profootballweekly.com/story/permalink/32382

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by DDNYjets View Post

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    As a unit I'd say TE is literally the least of my worries.

QB and RB are the biggets question marks.

People overrate the issues at safety.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Jordy View Post
    "Find me one post . . . ."

Now we have a thread.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like

TE is not even in the Top 5 of needs or worries. We can have a backup OL play blocking TE.

1. QB play. Will it be good or bad or inconsistent.
    2. S. Will any of them be able to cover the TE.
    3. RT.
    4. OLB/Pass rush. Will the front end help the back end.
    5. WR. Can Hill become a deep threat to keep opposing defenses honest and open up things for Tone and the running game.
    6. RB. Can Greene be the No. 1 back and stay healthy. Can McKnight be the #2. Who will be catching the balls out of the backfield. Blitz pickup.

Only proves how little you understand NFL football

Using an OL as a TE works in situations, not as a fulltime player. A TE who can block is critical in the NFL game, in the running game, AND the passing game and pass protection schemes.

Maybe Cumberland is that player, but we don't know.

Listing the QB position as the #1 are of concern/need is beyond retarded.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    I get it, I have your guard up a bit, and you're a little butthurt after mocking you in another thread.

Let me guess, a PM to Jordy to circle the wagons?

Today is vengeance day?

LOL, GFY chump.
    Last edited by Ray Ray19; 07-26-2012 at 10:49 AM.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    While I think the team is high on Keller and Cumberland to play 1 and 2 at the TE position this season, and there is a lot of intrigue with the development of Josh Baker and the Hayden Smith project, I'm still not sure this position is done being addressed.

Seeing how the Jets made a move at RT in Otah as a reclamation project, I think the biggest area of need is the blocking TE.

I think Anthony Fasano bears watching, there are rumors he could be released in Miami, and does not fit in Philbin's system. He could be a cap casualty as he carries a high cap number. He's a Sparano favorite and is a versatile and very good blocking TE.

If Hayden Smith doesn't work out, I think the team brings in a blocking TE at some point during camp.
    Agreed Ray Ray...although I not comfortable with the RB situation (still not sold on Greene being a bellcow) but with improved OL play I'm hopeful we can can get a good ground game going.....

If Fasano gets cut I think he hops on the first plane to Cortland....Sporano will ask Tanny to scoop him up...

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like

Only proves how little you understand NFL football

Using an OL as a TE works in situations, not as a fulltime player. A TE who can block is critical in the NFL game, in the running game, AND the passing game and pass protection schemes.

Maybe Cumberland is that player, but we don't know.

You're right. Blocking TE is CLEARLY the biggest question mark on this team.

I am also very concerned with our long snapper.

I get it, I have your guard up a bit, and you're a little butthurt after mocking you in another thread.

Let me guess, a PM to Jordy to circle the wagons?

Today is vengeance day?

LOL, GFY chump.
    Not even close.

I will leave the covert ops to you and your internet daddy, sg3.

You guys won that war. The Mods have empowered you. Congrats on being able to get away with being the most crass member of the forum.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    You're right. Blocking TE is CLEARLY the biggest question mark on this team.

I am also very concerned with our long snapper.

Not even close.

I will leave the covert ops to you and your internet daddy, sg3.

You guys won that war. The Mods have empowered you. Congrats on being able to get away with being the most crass member of the forum.
    The thread was put up as a suggestion, not a statement, notice the use of the "?" in the thread title

There was no reason to attack me or any of my posts in this thread, but you couldn't help yourself.

It is fans like you that have me being crass, smarmy know-it-alls who love to police the forum with their arrogance and agendas, and who need to "fit in." I'll call out chumps like you every time.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    It is fans like you that have me being crass,
    Wrong.

You choose to do that all on your own.

Don't blame others for your foul mouth and posts.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by C Mart View Post
    Late-rising TE prospects

TE Tarren Lloyd, Utah State
    Ht
    : 6-6 1/8 | Wt: 256 | Sp: 4.73 | Arm: 33 | Hand: 8 7/8
    Big, in-line blocking tight end with good foot speed who helped pave the way for one of the nationís most productive rushing attacks. Former walk-on with limited career production, but understands positioning, generates movement in the run game and is a functional short receiver. Needs to get stronger.

http://www.profootballweekly.com/story/permalink/32382
    Interesting prospect, we'll see.

I am anxious to see Hayden Smith, he has the raw attributes, but obviously, never having played at the NFL level is a concern.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Wrong.

You choose to do that all on your own.

Don't blame others for your foul mouth and messages.

You are in no position to judge me or anybody

Your glass house needs some windex

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like

You are in no position to judge me or anybody

Your glass house needs some windex
    Show me where I even come close to the language you use on a regular basis whenever anyone disagrees with you.

Prove it.

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like

QB should be the number one area of concern for all Jets fans.

It's not like the Jets have a top level QB and if Sanchez plays like he did the last 3 games of last season, the Jets are looking at a 5-11 season.

Like a TE could impact a 4 or 5 game swing.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    The thread was put up as a suggestion, not a statement, notice the use of the "?" in the thread title

There was no reason to attack me or any of my posts in this thread, but you couldn't help yourself.

It is fans like you that have me being crass, smarmy know-it-alls who love to police the forum with their arrogance and agendas, and who need to "fit in." I'll call out chumps like you every time.
    Stop the spinning. You used the "?" instead of typing "question". The title is read as "Biggest question area on the team in my opinion, is at TE". Not a SUGGESTION. You STATED what your opinion was. That is fine. Just own it now. Don't spin.

No need to explain yourself to me. As far as I am concerned, you have been mandated to be as crass as you can be. Do/say your best (or worst).

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Show me where I even come close to the language you use on a regular basis whenever anyone disagrees with you.

Prove it.
    LOL

Disagree with me all you want

Act like a douche schmuck...

It is funny how you decided to jump yet again, into another thread to engage me, unprovoked...

Yeah, no obsession or agenda there either...

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Stop the spinning. You used the "?" instead of typing "question". The title is read as "Biggest question area on the team in my opinion, is at TE". Not a SUGGESTION. You STATED what your opinion was. That is fine. Just own it now. Don't spin.

No need to explain yourself to me. As far as I am concerned, you have been mandated to be as crass as you can be. Do/say your best (or worst).
    It was a suggestion, a question to promote discussion

Of course it is my opinion, I put up the thread

You decided to jump in and attack the thread and act like a complete douche

Now you want to take the high road and play victim?

LOL

And chump, I'm not explaining myself to anybody, especially a little snot-nosed punk like you!

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    And yet your first post in the thread contained...