Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Does this move you?

Quote Originally Posted by thebigragu View Post
    Seriously?

Anti top 10

Bunch of d!cks on this site.

Quote Originally Posted by southside View Post
    I'm assuming the people that will comment on this will consist of the following:

1. People that actually know the history of both Gram and this song.
    2. People that know the song from the radio.
    ...i remember Parsons but whats his connection to this song?...

Jets Insider VIP
    Quote Originally Posted by 2foolish197 View Post
    ...i remember Parsons but whats his connection to this song?...
    Wild Horses was recorded in Muscle Shoals recording studio back in 69 but not released until Sticky Fingers in 71. Parsons heard the song and asked if the flying Burrito Brothers could cover it. The Stones agreed as long as it wasn't released as a single. So technically, they released it before the Stones.

Parsons had nothing to do with the writing of the song. Richards wrote the music and the line wild horses and Jagger wrote the rest of the lyrics.

Quote Originally Posted by crossfire View Post
    Wild Horses was recorded in Muscle Shoals recording studio back in 69 but not released until Sticky Fingers in 71. Parsons heard the song and asked if the flying Burrito Brothers could cover it. The Stones agreed as long as it wasn't released as a single. So technically, they released it before the Stones.

Parsons had nothing to do with the writing of the song. Richards wrote the music and the line wild horses and Jagger wrote the rest of the lyrics.
    All true except the last sentence. The song was written about Gram.

Jets Insider VIP
    Nope... the song was written about Keith having to leave his son Marlon, who was only 2 months old when Keith had to leave to go on tour.

Jets Insider VIP
    Founfd this...

"Yeah (it has to do with Marlon's birth),'cause I knew we were going to have to go to America and start work again, to get me off me ass, and not really wanting to go away. It was a very delicate moment, the kid's only two months old, and you're goin' away. Millions of people do it all the time but still ..."

- Keith Richards, 1971

Quote Originally Posted by crossfire View Post
    Founfd this...

"Yeah (it has to do with Marlon's birth),'cause I knew we were going to have to go to America and start work again, to get me off me ass, and not really wanting to go away. It was a very delicate moment, the kid's only two months old, and you're goin' away. Millions of people do it all the time but still ..."

- Keith Richards, 1971
    No sh!t, I don't know where I got that from. But this is also of interest because I know he was jamming with Kieth and Mick at the time:

Keith: "I wrote this song because I was doing good at home with my old lady, and I wrote it like a love song. I just had this, Wild horses couldn't drag me away, and I gave it to Mick, and Marianne (Faithfull) just ran off with this guy and he changed it all around but it's still beautiful."

Mick: "I remember we sat around originally doing this with Gram Parsons, and I think his version came out slightly before ours. Everyone always says it was written about Marianne but I don't think it was; that was all well over by then. But I was definitely very inside this piece emotionally. This is very personal, evocative, and sad. It all sounds rather doomy now, but it was quite a heavy time."

Quote Originally Posted by southside View Post
    No sh!t, I don't know where I got that from. But this is also of interest because I know he was jamming with Kieth and Mick at the time:

Keith: "I wrote this song because I was doing good at home with my old lady, and I wrote it like a love song. I just had this, Wild horses couldn't drag me away, and I gave it to Mick, and Marianne (Faithfull) just ran off with this guy and he changed it all around but it's still beautiful."

Mick: "I remember we sat around originally doing this with Gram Parsons, and I think his version came out slightly before ours. Everyone always says it was written about Marianne but I don't think it was; that was all well over by then. But I was definitely very inside this piece emotionally. This is very personal, evocative, and sad. It all sounds rather doomy now, but it was quite a heavy time."
    Ok, now I know where I got that from. Gram never claims to have written the song, which we all agree on, but he did say that the song was written for him and it is believed that he was the inspiration for the song... I'm guessing the style of play, considering he invented what is considered Alt Country. Who knows, check this out:

"Gram did not write Wild Horses although he was the inspiration for the song. Wild Horses was actually written by Keith Richards and Mick Jagger (it is widely held that the song was originally written for Gram to sing, an idea that was refused by the record label). The Rolling Stones did allow Gram to record the song before the Stones themselves had recorded it (a first for the Rolling Stones). Gram did however arrange the version of Honky Tonk Woman that the Stones later called Country Honk and was also the key inspiration for The Stones' "Country-ish" movement following Exile On Main Street." -- Written by a Gram Parsons fan site.

And then there is this little tidbit from Wiki:

"The album is considered less inspired than its predecessor, but it is notable for the Parsons-Hillman-Leadon song "Older Guys" and for its take on Jagger and Richards' "Wild Horses"—the first recording released of this famous song. Parsons was inspired to cover the song after hearing an advance tape of the Sticky Fingers album sent to Kleinow, who was scheduled to overdub a part on the song (Kleinow's part was not included on the released Rolling Stones version, though it is available on bootlegs). Jagger consented to the cover version, so long as the Flying Burrito Brothers did not issue it as a single." -- Wiki

All in all, it wasn't written about him but I think his music inspired the style of the song.... if that makes any sense.
    Last edited by southside; 07-26-2012 at 04:12 PM.

So my thoughts are that the song was written with Gram's influence, as Jagger said they originally sat around doing the song with Gram. Whether that meant that Gram helped shape the sound of the song with Kieth and Mick for the Stones to record or that they collaborated on a song for Gram to record, that's the confusion especially given the fact that they let him release a cover of the song a year before they released Sticky Fingers (albeit due to record company shenanigans).

It makes sense that the record company would pull the plug on the idea that they would write a song for someone else to record given that the song was/is great.

One thing is for sure, Wild Horses wasn't written ABOUT Gram. That was my bad. However, one way or the other he was a big influence on the song whether it was originally written for him or whether it was a song that he helped craft with Kieth and Mick. The latter to me seems to be the most logical conclusion.