Enjoy an Ads-Free Jets Insider - Become a Jets Insider VIP!
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 42

Thread: MJD Available?

  1. #1
    All League
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Posts
    4,865
    Post Thanks / Like

    MJD Available?

    I am normally against paying RBs, but looking at our team, we really are one dynamic offensive player from being a legit SB contender. Do we need to consider reaching out to Jacksonville and offering a draft pick and McKnight for MJD?


    First off, this isn’t a “fantasy football” type trade. MJD is holding out, is unhappy in Jacksonville and that team is in a FULL rebuilding mode. Would anyone be surprised if they finished last in the league this year? So offering them a pick (2nd or 3rd round) and a young player like McKnight, is not a bad haul for a player who is nearing the tail end of his career, and has some miles on him, but who is also only 27 and can contribute in the near term. It gives Jacks an additional high pick and cap space….completely realistic.

    Currently MJD makes about $5 million a year for the next two years and his signing bonus I believe was $9 million so Im not sure how much of an trade kicker/escalator he would have. Plus he would be looking for an extension, something in the neighborhood of adding 2 more years at $5 million per (guaranteed which would take him through to 30 years old).

    MJD brings us, speed and the ability to catch the ball out of the backfield, something we desperately lack. Plus, if we really do want to ground and pound, he would be a great starting RB to get 17 carries and 3-4 catches per game (20 touches) . In his career he has averaged about 21 carries and 3.5 catches per game so we wouldn’t be reducing his workload too much….but it would allow us to bring greene in late in the game to actually ground down the defense.

    In 2011 Greene/LT/McKnight combined for an avg of 23 carries and 5 catches per game. Factoring that we are going to be running more, we probably need to get to an average of 29 carries and 6 catches (don’t forget schotty hated screen passes – partially because its not greenes specialty.) That would give MJD 17 and Greene 12 per game….which is a VERY good level of distribution.

    While we would have quite a bit of money tied up with MJD, this would allow us to hopefully develop Ganaway into our “closing” back for 2012, and save us money as we could let greene walk in 2013.

  2. #2
    Hall Of Fame
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    New York
    Posts
    18,662
    Post Thanks / Like
    I think as a condition of his trade would want a contract extension. Not sure we can afford that. He will be looking for Rice/Forte money at least. I think that is somewhere in the $8MM range.

    Would love to have a player like him though.

    I am sure Tanny has probed the situation. "No stone un-turned".

  3. #3
    Hall Of Fame
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Posts
    14,325
    Post Thanks / Like
    I wouldn't hold my breathe. Dude is looking to get paid (rightfully so), and I just don't think we can afford it.

    MJD is an amazing talent, but he's too rich for our blood.

  4. #4
    All Pro
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Posts
    5,804
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by McGinley View Post
    I wouldn't hold my breathe. Dude is looking to get paid (rightfully so), and I just don't think we can afford it.

    MJD is an amazing talent, but he's too rich for our blood.
    Trade Greene and McKnight for this beast ... Then pay him.

  5. #5
    Hall Of Fame
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    New York
    Posts
    18,662
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Dunnie View Post
    Trade Greene and McKnight for this beast ... Then pay him.
    We still have the Revis extension on the horizon. We would have to gut the team, LOL.

  6. #6
    All Pro
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Posts
    5,804
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by DDNYjets View Post
    We still have the Revis extension on the horizon. We would have to gut the team, LOL.
    Fine .. Throw in Sanchez for more salary relief ... MJD and Tebow baby !

  7. #7
    All Pro
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Posts
    5,492
    Post Thanks / Like
    If Tanny really wants to try & win a Superbowl then this move isn't out of the question.
    I don't see us resigning Keller next year.
    Bart Scotts contract will be gone
    Bryan Thomas contract gone
    Hunter contract gone
    I think this will be Brandon Moores last hurrah, thats why Tanny has all of these young guys in camp.
    Revis Contract will be his last so I'm sure Tanny can be pretty creative in the way they structure it.
    I'm sure Sanchez can be restructured again if he proves he is the QB for this team for the next 7 years.
    If we truly want to be ground & pound MJD would be truly a nightmare for opposing teams when the guy substituting for him a 1000 yard pounder like Greene.
    Of course it's a fantasy thought but with Sparano getting back to what we do best, Keller, Santonio, Hill, Kerley is not too shabby when defenses have to be really honest even an average QB like Sanchez could exploit those mismatches when teams play 8-9 in the box.

  8. #8
    Hall Of Fame
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    New York
    Posts
    18,662
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Dunnie View Post
    Fine .. Throw in Sanchez for more salary relief ... MJD and Tebow baby !
    LOL. It doesn't work like that. I wish it did.

    Even if we trade players, we would still be stuck with some dead money against our cap.

  9. #9
    All Pro
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Posts
    5,804
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by DDNYjets View Post
    LOL. It doesn't work like that. I wish it did.

    Even if we trade players, we would still be stuck with some dead money against our cap.
    I know .. I was just joking around ... Waiting for the SG3 chime in.

  10. #10
    All Pro
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Posts
    5,492
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by jetster View Post
    If Tanny really wants to try & win a Superbowl then this move isn't out of the question.
    I don't see us resigning Keller next year.
    Bart Scotts contract will be gone
    Bryan Thomas contract gone
    Hunter contract gone
    I think this will be Brandon Moores last hurrah, thats why Tanny has all of these young guys in camp.
    Revis Contract will be his last so I'm sure Tanny can be pretty creative in the way they structure it.
    I'm sure Sanchez can be restructured again if he proves he is the QB for this team for the next 7 years.
    If we truly want to be ground & pound MJD would be truly a nightmare for opposing teams when the guy substituting for him a 1000 yard pounder like Greene.
    Of course it's a fantasy thought but with Sparano getting back to what we do best, Keller, Santonio, Hill, Kerley is not too shabby when defenses have to be really honest even an average QB like Sanchez could exploit those mismatches when teams play 8-9 in the box.
    Also forgot about Paces contract- His contract is one of the worst considering that we get 3 plays from the guy all freaking year.
    He's gonna be taking a huge pay reduction in 2013, his big salary days are over, whether he's with the Jets are some other team.

  11. #11
    Hall Of Fame
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    New York
    Posts
    18,662
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Dunnie View Post
    I know .. I was just joking around ... Waiting for the SG3 chime in.
    LOL.

  12. #12
    Practice Squad
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Posts
    38
    Post Thanks / Like
    He has absolutely nothing going for him. He's looking for a 3rd contract and he's at the back end of his career. Jones is good but not special. No interest.

  13. #13
    All Pro
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Posts
    5,492
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by gsulli5861 View Post
    He has absolutely nothing going for him. He's looking for a 3rd contract and he's at the back end of his career. Jones is good but not special. No interest.
    Good but not special? R U Serious?
    The guy plays on one of the worst offenses in the league, with 11 guys on the line of scrimmage & still is one of the top backs in the entire league!
    Really?
    Trent Richardson can only dream he'll be as successful in the NFL compared to what MJD has already proven.

  14. #14
    All League
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    North Jersey
    Posts
    2,749
    Post Thanks / Like
    He is gonna want more than $5 mil per, most likely around $8 mil for 4-5 years. Dont know if we can afford that. But if we could I would like to see him in a jets jersey

  15. #15
    Hall Of Fame
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Posts
    24,964
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by JerseyJet80 View Post
    He is gonna want more than $5 mil per, most likely around $8 mil for 4-5 years. Dont know if we can afford that. But if we could I would like to see him in a jets jersey
    He's got one or two more big years in him, IMO.

  16. #16
    Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP
    JetsInsider.com Legend
    Charter JI Member

    Join Date
    May 1999
    Location
    Westchester Co.
    Posts
    37,092
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by gsulli5861 View Post
    He has absolutely nothing going for him. He's looking for a 3rd contract and he's at the back end of his career. Jones is good but not special. No interest.
    I agree, he will be entering his 7th season, do not want.

  17. #17
    Jets Insider VIP
    Charter JI Member

    Join Date
    May 1999
    Location
    Naples FL
    Posts
    42,608
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by jetswin View Post
    I agree, he will be entering his 7th season, do not want.
    1484 carries so far..

  18. #18
    Veteran
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Posts
    2,094
    Post Thanks / Like
    Compared to Greene who prays for that type of production, his 2-3 good years are way more than Greene will ever get. Greene will never be a featured back although I pray he could be for the Jets, he is not a threat to break a big run over 25 yards yet alone a home run

    Sign MJD

  19. #19
    Jets Insider VIP
    Charter JI Member

    Join Date
    May 1999
    Location
    Naples FL
    Posts
    42,608
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Xmarco View Post
    Compared to Greene who prays for that type of production, his 2-3 good years are way more than Greene will ever get. Greene will never be a featured back although I pray he could be for the Jets, he is not a threat to break a big run over 25 yards yet alone a home run

    Sign MJD
    Yet he holds the Jets record for longest playoff td runs..

  20. #20
    Hall Of Fame
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Funkytown
    Posts
    24,938
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by jetswin View Post
    I agree, he will be entering his 7th season, do not want.
    He's had only 3 years of a heavy workload.

    I don't think that's a huge issue.

    As long as he's not over-worked (should he be acquired).

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Follow Us