Enjoy an Ads-Free Jets Insider - Become a Jets Insider VIP!
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Results 21 to 40 of 42

Thread: MJD Available?

  1. #21
    All Pro
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Posts
    5,617
    Post Thanks / Like
    MJD is a top 5 RB in this league...but he wants a big long term deal....one which we can't give him...so pass...

  2. #22
    Hall Of Fame
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    New York
    Posts
    18,681
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Jordy View Post
    He's had only 3 years of a heavy workload.

    I don't think that's a huge issue.

    As long as he's not over-worked (should he be acquired).
    I agree. And I think guys like him and Rice do not take as much of a beating as other backs do that get the same work load. They are built well and run very low and are not a big target.

    I think he is unique and is a terrific back. But I just don't see how he can be an option for us. We know exactly what kind of contract he is looking for. 5yrs/40million/25guaranteed-ish contract. Not sure how we could afford that.

    But he would be an amazing fit in our offense.

  3. #23
    All Pro
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Posts
    6,305
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Dunnie View Post
    Trade Greene and McKnight for this beast ... Then pay him.
    pay him with what cap space? Greene and McKnight count for peanuts against the cap. Plus those 2 would hardly get it done.

  4. #24
    Hall Of Fame
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Funkytown
    Posts
    24,951
    Post Thanks / Like
    If this were next off-season where the Jets could cut Pace, Scott, E. Smith etc., MJD would be a definite option cap-wise.

    Don't see how it could get done this year.

  5. #25
    All League
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Posts
    3,344
    Post Thanks / Like
    No. Just No. Hell no. No trades for aging RBs going into their 3rd contract

  6. #26
    Hall Of Fame
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Funkytown
    Posts
    24,951
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by johnnysd View Post
    No. Just No. Hell no. No trades for aging RBs going into their 3rd contract
    Aging? He just turned 27 in March.

  7. #27
    JetsInsider.com Legend
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Posts
    25,569
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by gsulli5861 View Post
    He has absolutely nothing going for him. He's looking for a 3rd contract and he's at the back end of his career. Jones is good but not special. No interest.
    Nothing going for him? Nothing special?

    LOL

    The guy is arguably the best RB in the league. He's at least Top 3.

    I'd make this move in a heartbeat. The guy still has 3 or 4 elite years left in him barring injury.

  8. #28
    Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP
    JetsInsider.com Legend
    Charter JI Member

    Join Date
    May 1999
    Location
    Westchester Co.
    Posts
    37,092
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Untouchable View Post
    The guy is arguably the best RB in the league. He's at least Top 3.

    .
    Arian Foster, LeShawn McCoy, Adrian Peterson, Ray Rice, Darren McFadden, Matt Forte, Chris Johnson, Frank Gore, and Michael Turner say hi.

    plus a couple of others I would rather have

  9. #29
    Hall Of Fame
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Posts
    16,178
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by jetswin View Post
    Arian Foster, LeShawn McCoy, Adrian Peterson, Ray Rice, Darren McFadden, Matt Forte, Chris Johnson, Frank Gore, and Michael Turner say hi.

    plus a couple of others I would rather have
    Not to mention the contract the Jets would have to give MJD, just not worth it at this point in his career.

  10. #30
    JetsInsider.com Legend
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Posts
    25,569
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by jetswin View Post
    Arian Foster, LeShawn McCoy, Adrian Peterson, Ray Rice, Darren McFadden, Matt Forte, Chris Johnson, Frank Gore, and Michael Turner say hi.

    plus a couple of others I would rather have
    Look at the offense MJD plays on.

    He had Blaine Gabbert and Luke McCown at QB last year, and he still lead the league in rushing. Hell, he's had sh*t QB play his entire career and has still managed to dominate. There's absolutely no one on that offense worth mentioning besides him.

    In contrast, a guy like Foster has one of the best OL's in the league, a Top 10 QB in Matt Schaub, and one of the Top 3 receivers in the league to keep defenses honest.

    The only guy I would rank ahead of MJD is a healthy Adrian Peterson.

  11. #31
    Hall Of Fame
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Posts
    16,619
    Post Thanks / Like
    trade Tebow for MJD.



  12. #32
    Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP
    JetsInsider.com Legend
    Charter JI Member

    Join Date
    May 1999
    Location
    Westchester Co.
    Posts
    37,092
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Untouchable View Post
    Look at the offense MJD plays on.

    He had Blaine Gabbert and Luke McCown at QB last year, and he still lead the league in rushing. Hell, he's had sh*t QB play his entire career and has still managed to dominate. There's absolutely no one on that offense worth mentioning besides him.

    In contrast, a guy like Foster has one of the best OL's in the league, a Top 10 QB in Matt Schaub, and one of the Top 3 receivers in the league to keep defenses honest.

    The only guy I would rank ahead of MJD is a healthy Adrian Peterson.
    the only one close to him in carries (if you could call it that with more than 40) is Turner, otherwise he carries the ball 60-80 times more than other top flight backs.

  13. #33
    JetsInsider.com Legend
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Posts
    25,569
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by jetswin View Post
    the only one close to him in carries (if you could call it that with more than 40) is Turner, otherwise he carries the ball 60-80 times more than other top flight backs.
    Of course he carries the ball more.

    He's the main staple of the most putrid offense in the league.

  14. #34
    Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP
    JetsInsider.com Legend
    Charter JI Member

    Join Date
    May 1999
    Location
    Westchester Co.
    Posts
    37,092
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Untouchable View Post
    Of course he carries the ball more.

    He's the main staple of the most putrid offense in the league.
    ok then if he trips forward for 4 yards he gets 300 yards more than anyone else...aside from what the Jets claim the offense will be, I think we need a couple of backs and some versatility at the position other than a human bowling ball, rapidly approaching no-man's land in age for RB's.

  15. #35
    Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP
    JetsInsider.com Legend
    Charter JI Member

    Join Date
    May 1999
    Location
    Westchester Co.
    Posts
    37,092
    Post Thanks / Like
    ...add, I'd rather see Tebow running with the ball

  16. #36
    Hall Of Fame
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Funkytown
    Posts
    24,951
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by jetswin View Post
    ok then if he trips forward for 4 yards he gets 300 yards more than anyone else...aside from what the Jets claim the offense will be, I think we need a couple of backs and some versatility at the position other than a human bowling ball, rapidly approaching no-man's land in age for RB's.
    I understand the position that the Jets really don't have the cap space this season for MJD. But to say he's not one of the absolute best RB's in the NFL is crazy talk. He rushed for over 1,600 yards on a crappy team and had a 4.7 ypc. The guy is a beast. I think he's top 3 for sure.

  17. #37
    Hall Of Fame
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    New York
    Posts
    18,681
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Jordy View Post
    I understand the position that the Jets really don't have the cap space this season for MJD. But to say he's not one of the absolute best RB's in the NFL is crazy talk. He rushed for over 1,600 yards on a crappy team and had a 4.7 ypc. The guy is a beast. I think he's top 3 for sure.
    +1.

    I don't know why the Jags would even let it get to this point. I assume he is their most popular player. He is their entire offense. They have a young QB who they are hoping to develop. You would think they would want to give him a good running game.

  18. #38
    All Pro
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Posts
    7,589
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Jordy View Post
    If this were next off-season where the Jets could cut Pace, Scott, E. Smith etc., MJD would be a definite option cap-wise.

    Don't see how it could get done this year.
    Tell me how the jets can afford a 4 year 28 mil contract for MJD NEXT year.

    3 of the 5 olineman are FA (4 of 6 if you count Otah)
    Both safeties
    3 of the 5 lbs (assuming Pace and Scott are cut)
    plus Divito, Shon Greene and Keller, And it will be your last chance to get a deal done with Revis before he hits his FA year.

    That is 10 starters and one top of the rotation Dlineman,

  19. #39
    Hall Of Fame
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Posts
    14,325
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Dirtstar View Post
    trade Tebow for MJD.


    Why would Jacksonville trade the best RB for one of the worst RBs?

  20. #40
    Hall Of Fame
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Funkytown
    Posts
    24,951
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by patman View Post
    Tell me how the jets can afford a 4 year 28 mil contract for MJD NEXT year.

    3 of the 5 olineman are FA (4 of 6 if you count Otah)
    Both safeties
    3 of the 5 lbs (assuming Pace and Scott are cut)
    plus Divito, Shon Greene and Keller, And it will be your last chance to get a deal done with Revis before he hits his FA year.

    That is 10 starters and one top of the rotation Dlineman,


    Pace and Scott will account for $16.5M by themselves.

    I think this will be Brandon Moore's last season as a Jet.

    If the Jets re-sign Slauson, he's not going to break the bank.

    If MJD is acquired somehow, Shonn Green is likely gone anyway or he could be re-signed if the numbers are right.

    So, between Pace, Scott, Moore and E. Smith alone, that would be about $23M of cap space created.

    I think Tannenbaum can figure it out.

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Follow Us