Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 54

Thread: Rex Ryan advises Santonio Holmes

  1. #1
    Hall of Fame
    Charter JI Member

    Join Date
    May 1999
    Posts
    16,360

    Rex Ryan advises Santonio Holmes

    http://espn.go.com/new-york/nfl/stor...rry-abouts-qbs


    CORTLAND, N.Y. - Rex Ryan wants Santonio Holmes to catch passes, not to pass judgment on the team's plans for Mark Sanchez and Tim Tebow.

    The New York Jets' coach, commenting on Holmes' recent criticism of the two-quarterback system, responded with a mild rebuke.

    "Well, I understand what Holmes is saying, you know Tone's talking about a guy ... (the starting quarterback) has to get a feel and all that kind of stuff," Ryan said in an interview with ESPN's Sal Paolantonio. "But I brought Santonio in here to be a receiver, not to be the offensive coordinator. And that's the way it is.

    "I love Santonio, but if I wanted to hire him as our offensive coordinator, we would've."

    Ryan hired former Miami Dolphins coach Tony Sparano to run the offense, which will include Tebow in a Wildcat package. Holmes said he doesn't think a two-quarterback system can work in the NFL because it disrupts the starter's rhythm.

    "First of all, every player is entitled to their own opinion," Sparano told Paolantonio. "Every person is entitled to their own opinion. I been around long enough to know that there's a lot of definitions of two-quarterback systems, and what some of these things mean, and what they don't mean."

    The controversial Holmes, who feuded with Sanchez at the end of last season, could be a time bomb for the Jets because of his mouth. Holmes also clashed with the former offensive coordinator Brian Schottenheimer. Now he belongs to Sparano, who was asked if he anticipates Holmes being a problem.

    "I'm not going get into that, I'm not going to comment that way," he said. "But I would say that everything I know right now with Santonio, he and I have gotten off to a really great start here and respect one another that way, and I think the relationship will be a good one."

    Holmes, in an interview last week with the NFL Network, stated without hesitation that he believes a two-quarterback system won't work.

    "... You have to allow one quarterback to get into the rhythm of a game and it starts from the preparation in practice," he said. "(It's) knowing the first couple of plays that he's going to take these reps, it's getting the feel for coming onto the field with the crowd awaiting you, it's making the mistakes early in the game to finishing the games at the end.

    "You don't just change a guy out just because he has a few mistakes early into a game."

    Holmes tempered his remarks by saying that the Sanchez-Tebow dynamic might have a chance because Tebow will be operating from a scripted package of plays.

  2. #2
    Because our offense couldn't use someone speaking the truth, eh? lol, Tone's too real for us sometimes.

  3. #3
    Hall Of Fame
    Charter JI Member

    Join Date
    May 1999
    Location
    Manalapan, NJ/Boca Raton, Fl
    Posts
    15,503
    Quote Originally Posted by McGinley View Post
    Because our offense couldn't use someone speaking the truth, eh? lol, Tone's too real for us sometimes.
    Because in the real world sometimes "speaking the truth" gets you fired?

    While youre at it, how does "speaking the truth" to the media do anything good for our offense?

  4. #4
    this is the first major indication that Rex is changing his approach as a coach.

  5. #5
    Hall Of Fame
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    New York
    Posts
    19,818
    Rex telling someone to shut up.

    LOL.

  6. #6
    Quote Originally Posted by Jet Nut View Post
    Because in the real world sometimes "speaking the truth" gets you fired?

    While youre at it, how does "speaking the truth" to the media do anything good for our offense?
    Being paid millions of dollars to play a game isn't the real world. Also, if talking got people fired then Rex would have been gone by now. And are we really gonna act as if Tone sought the media out to say something? No. He was asked something and he was just being real.

  7. #7
    Quote Originally Posted by McGinley View Post
    Being paid millions of dollars to play a game isn't the real world. Also, if talking got people fired then Rex would have been gone by now. And are we really gonna act as if Tone sought the media out to say something? No. He was asked something and he was just being real.
    being real and doing an interview are not the same thing...there is a time and a place...the time and place is not during an interview, coming off a season where the jets were crucified for their locker room, holmes became a "cancer" and the media has termed the Jets a circus...

    here's a question..what has his "being real" with the media accomplished in a positive way?

  8. #8
    Hall Of Fame
    Charter JI Member

    Join Date
    May 1999
    Location
    Manalapan, NJ/Boca Raton, Fl
    Posts
    15,503
    Quote Originally Posted by McGinley View Post
    Being paid millions of dollars to play a game isn't the real world. Also, if talking got people fired then Rex would have been gone by now. And are we really gonna act as if Tone sought the media out to say something? No. He was asked something and he was just being real.
    Are you 16? Only a kid wouldn't understand that what mgt does or says transfers to what an employee says.

    He's an adult being paid millions to represent the team. It's part of the deal and whether he was asked or sought out the media he has to keep that in mind.

    I noticed you didn't come up with a reason why being real is going to help Sanchez, Tebow or the offense.

  9. #9
    Quote Originally Posted by TurkJetFan View Post
    being real and doing an interview are not the same thing...there is a time and a place...the time and place is not during an interview, coming off a season where the jets were crucified for their locker room, holmes became a "cancer" and the media has termed the Jets a circus...

    here's a question..what has his "being real" with the media accomplished in a positive way?
    I'm not saying it's going to accomplish anything or turn our team into some powerhouse. But why not just be real? Sorry if you like players to be fake and try their best to say all the right things.

    #ToneTime

  10. #10
    Quote Originally Posted by McGinley View Post
    I'm not saying it's going to accomplish anything or turn our team into some powerhouse. But why not just be real? Sorry if you like players to be fake and try their best to say all the right things.

    #ToneTime
    this is a business...with that business comes politics...whether you like it or not the media and their reporting effects the team and the pressures on the team...

    do you watch interviews in sports or otherwise? are you telling me that anyone is "being real"? not even close...there is a way to give an interview and there is a way to address things and "be real" in house.

    if you dont see the negative attention and the effect this can have on the team I don't know what to tell you. Exhibit A) Holmes calling out the O-Line last year...Yeah, he kept it real. The vets got pissed/offended and the play far from improved, but in all actuality worsened. Is this Holmes fault? No. Did Holmes contribute to the locker room dissension using the media as an outlet? Absolutely. 100%.

    and btw yes, when it comes to the media I do like my players to be fake and say all the right things. Then come meeting time I expect them to "keep it real".
    Last edited by TurkJetFan; 07-26-2012 at 02:24 PM.

  11. #11
    All Pro
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    greenwich village, NYC
    Posts
    8,167
    Quote Originally Posted by TurkJetFan View Post
    being real and doing an interview are not the same thing...there is a time and a place...the time and place is not during an interview, coming off a season where the jets were crucified for their locker room, holmes became a "cancer" and the media has termed the Jets a circus...

    here's a question..what has his "being real" with the media accomplished in a positive way?
    crickets

  12. #12
    Quote Originally Posted by McGinley View Post
    Being paid millions of dollars to play a game isn't the real world. Also, if talking got people fired then Rex would have been gone by now. And are we really gonna act as if Tone sought the media out to say something? No. He was asked something and he was just being real.
    yeah, being paid millions of dollars to play a game still is the real world, and in the real world, there are times when you just keep your mouth shut, or if you do want to say something, you say it in house, behind closed doors.

    I'm all for "openness" behind the scenes or out of the view of cameras. If a guy on the team has something to say, then let him stand up and say it to the team.

    But you don't go out and run your mouth in public about it. And if asked, don't be stupid enough to answer.

    It's real simple. Andrew Siciliano made it clear that he was talking about Tebow's "role" when he asked if 2 QB systems can work.

    Holmes should have simply said "Yeah, what Rex has planned WILL work." End of story.

  13. #13
    Hall Of Fame
    Charter JI Member

    Join Date
    May 1999
    Location
    East Coast of the United States - subject to change on short notice
    Posts
    20,575
    Quote Originally Posted by DDNYjets View Post
    Rex telling someone to shut up.

    LOL.
    LOL nothing.

    It's about time. Holmes needs to keep his trap shut & play - period.

  14. #14

  15. #15
    so in other words, stfu and play football. --luv Rex

  16. #16
    Quote Originally Posted by ARodFLKeysJetsFan View Post
    LOL nothing.

    It's about time. Holmes needs to keep his trap shut & play - period.
    I'm a big believer that Holmes is a big time player...But +1000 to your post...Holmes needs to be reigned in.

  17. #17
    When you ask stupid people a question, can you really be shocked by what their answer might be? Just take what this idiot(Holmes) says with a grain of salt and move on. Next.

  18. #18
    Jets Insider VIP
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Paris, France
    Posts
    12,855
    Quote Originally Posted by TurkJetFan View Post
    this is the first major indication that Rex is changing his approach as a coach.
    +1

  19. #19
    Jets Insider VIP
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    NYC
    Posts
    22,105
    #ToneDeaf

  20. #20
    Quote Originally Posted by TurkJetFan View Post
    this is the first major indication that Rex is changing his approach as a coach.
    Squealing to the media instead of handling it privately with the player in question?

    More of same.

    SAR I

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Follow Us