Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Darrelle Revis' battle with Jets isn't over

All Pro
    Trade him next offseason when he has one year left on his contract. Let some other team take on the $20M/season Revis headache and get a king's random in the process.

This defense can and will be just fine without Revis.

Hall Of Fame
    Quote Originally Posted by rick34125 View Post
    except now he won't want just top CB money, he'll want top money for all players.
    No one is giving him QB type money, that would be beyond stupid.

I'm sorry but why is there still hand wringing over this topic? The dude is under contract with 2 years to go and has NO negotiating leverage this year. He'll get a new deal next year.
    Let's play ball now.

Veteran
    Quote Originally Posted by sec.101row23 View Post
    No one is giving him QB type money, that would be beyond stupid.
    when he asked for $16M/yr a couple of years ago i suppose that was beyond stupid too. revis and his agents will ask for, and make a case for, another "beyond stupid" contract you can be sure of that.

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Before demanding crazy money, maybe Revis should do what great CB's like Deion Sanders, Ronnie Lott, Ty Law, Darrell Green, Charles Woodson, Rod Woodson and many others have done.

HELP HIS TEAM WIN A SUPER BOWL!!!!!!

Hall Of Fame
    when he asked for $16M/yr a couple of years ago i suppose that was beyond stupid too. revis and his agents will ask for, and make a case for, another "beyond stupid" contract you can be sure of that.
    The only difference is that there was another CB making that kind of money already, Revis will be the highest paid CB once again, but it will not be for 20 million per year. His agents can ask for whatever they want, but barring any other CB signing an outrageous deal between now and then, they do not have the leverage they had last time.

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP

oh yeah? why is that?
    Because Aso's insane deal has expired. Unfortunately, the benchmark in the next negotiations will no longer be the highest paid CB - it will be the highest paid defensive player. I'm not sure what the top pass rushing salaries are right now, but its a lot higher than the CBs for sure.

Hall of Fame
    Charter JI Member

Quote Originally Posted by parafly View Post
    Trade him next offseason when he has one year left on his contract. Let some other team take on the $20M/season Revis headache and get a king's random in the process.

We will not get a kings ransom in a trade. First off Revis will be in control of where he goes because whatever team trades for him wont make the trade unless Revis signs off on a long term deal. No team is giving us a ton unless they know they have him locked up. We wont have much leverage because every knows he will be an UFA the following season.

All League
    Media are the worst.

This shmuck Cole clearly had two articles written ready to go, depending on whether or not Revis reported.

"REVIS HOLDS OUT, JETS' SITUATION CRITICAL"

"REVIS REPORTS, BATTLE WITH JETS NOT OVER"

little twerp.

Quote Originally Posted by Jordy View Post
    Before demanding crazy money, maybe Revis should do what great CB's like Deion Sanders, Ronnie Lott, Ty Law, Darrell Green, Charles Woodson, Rod Woodson and many others have done.

HELP HIS TEAM WIN A SUPER BOWL!!!!!!
    Put Revis on Packers or Pats and that team wins the SB plain and simple. The guy can't play QB, only so much he can do.

Look at the QBs the guys you listed played with

Hall Of Fame
    Quote Originally Posted by SlickBri481 View Post
    Put Revis on Packers or Pats and that team wins the SB plain and simple. The guy can't play QB, only so much he can do.

Look at the QBs the guys you listed played with
    Exactly, which is why he should not be paid like a QB and make 20 million per year.

All Pro
    Quote Originally Posted by parafly View Post

+1

Try to work out a long term deal next offseason -- if he's still being ridiculous ship him off to some team dumb enough to pay him 18 million a season.

No corner is worth what I'm sure he wants.

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Quote Originally Posted by Gangrene View Post
    He's the greatest player ever to put on a Jets uniform.

Paying him anything less than 20 million a year is an insult to him ... to me ... to his agent ... to every fan that ever followed the Jets ... my dead grandmother ... the American people ... every poster ever banned from Jets Insider ... to the game of football ... and so on ...
    LOL

You don't pay a goddamn CB $18-20 million a year, I don't care how great he is.

That's Rodgers/Brees/Brady money.

I can't even begin to explain how stupid that is.

Veteran
    Quote Originally Posted by LockeJET View Post
    We will not get a kings ransom in a trade. First off Revis will be in control of where he goes because whatever team trades for him wont make the trade unless Revis signs off on a long term deal. No team is giving us a ton unless they know they have him locked up. We wont have much leverage because every knows he will be an UFA the following season.
    so let's see... what do we know about next year's negotiations?

1. revis will not accept less than top defensive player money
    2. the jets will not pay top defensive player money to revis
    3. the jets can't franchise revis
    4. if revis holds out he loses money and extends his contract for 3 years

what a fugging mess this will be...

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Quote Originally Posted by Untouchable View Post
    LOL

You don't pay a goddamn CB $18-20 million a year, I don't care how great he is.

That's Rodgers/Brees/Brady money.

I can't even begin to explain how stupid that is.
    I'm pretty sure he was being sarcastic.

At least I hope so.

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Put Revis on Packers or Pats and that team wins the SB plain and simple.
    CB's do not win Super Bowls, never have, never will.

Veteran
    so let's see... what do we know about next year's negotiations?

1. revis will not accept less than top defensive player money
    2. the jets will not pay top defensive player money to revis
    3. the jets can't franchise revis
    4. if revis holds out he loses money and extends his contract for 3 years

what a fugging mess this will be...
    you know, I think Revis' agents are getting really nervous about this. The Jets don't need to re-do this deal and the agents advised Revis to put his name on the dotted line. Now, surely a good agent wouldn't advise his client to sign on to a contract like this unless there was a handshake to re-do it down the road. I think there probably was. But still, if I am Revis, I go ahead and get a new agent. These guys could have potentially screwed him royally.

We have to try to find a common ground with him, big money but not crippling. CB is not a QB. No team is going to pay him elite QB money, no matter what his agent tells him.

Veteran
    We have to try to find a common ground with him, big money but not crippling. CB is not a QB. No team is going to pay him elite QB money, no matter what his agent tells him.
    is he worth let's say $16M/yr?

All Pro
    Quote Originally Posted by LockeJET View Post
    I disagree. All it takes is one team. In all likelihood, we would be rewarded nicely.