Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Darrelle Revis' battle with Jets isn't over

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Revis knows his next contract is going to be the largest he will get in his career, so expect that he is going to want QB money or close to it.

I hope some of the young dline guys develop into stud pass rushers, at least one of them. It will make it a lot easier to move on without Revis, if it gets to that point.

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    Brian Costello ‏@BrianCoz
    Revis said his reps did approach Jets about redoing deal but jets said 'we'll deal with it later."

Bob Glauber ‏@BobGlauber
    Darelle Revis said his agents approached Jets about re-doing his contract in the off-season, but team declined. Said his focus is on team.

Kimberley A. Martin ‏@KMart_LI
    Revis decided a couple days ago being in Cortland wld b best. But "something's gotta happen" sooner or later. Said he wants 2 b a #nyj

Jenny Vrentas ‏@JennyVrentas
    Revis doesn't think Jets would do anything during season -- could be a distraction. Said he's not sure if he'll have new deal by 2013.

Revis said it was "close" as to whether he held our or not. Made a decision a few days ago, just wants to be here with his team

Rich Cimini ‏@RichCimini
    Darrelle Revis on decision to report: "It was close ... on me holding out." Says reps approached #Jets about new deal, but they rebuffed.

Revis says focus is on football, wants "to try to dominate again." Says he wants to retire a Jet, but didn't speculate beyond '12

Brian Costello ‏@BrianCoz
    Revis said he trusts Mike Tannenbaum

Revis said clause in his contract that voids final 3 years if he doesn't hold out was a factor in his decision

Revis says he wants to be a Jet for life but it's up to management whether that happens
    Last edited by C Mart; 07-26-2012 at 05:16 PM.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    IF he becomes a problem this TC, trade him after this year. Use that money to buy a decent pass rusher and an OL. Use the picks to move up for a QB if Sanchez flops (hopefully its not a USC QB ) or if Sanchez proves himself use them to move up and get a real blue chip player. Or use the picks to acquire players. Anything is better than dealing with Revis and his handlers every two years.

I hope Revis does the right thing and handles himself well. Him showing up for TC is a nice first step. Now lets just see how it progresses.
    Last edited by DDNYjets; 07-26-2012 at 05:30 PM.

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by DDNYjets View Post
    IF he becomes a problem this TC, trade him after this year. Use that money to buy a decent pass rusher and an OL. Use the picks to move up for a QB if Sanchez flops (hopefully its not a USC QB) or if Sanchez proves himself use them to move up and get a real blue chip player. Or use the picks to acquire players. Anything is better than dealing with Revis and his handlers every two years.
    +1

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    IF he becomes a problem this TC, trade him after this year. Use that money to buy a decent pass rusher and an OL. Use the picks to move up for a QB if Sanchez flops or if Sanchez proves himself use them to move up and get a real blue chip player. Or use the picks to acquire players. Anything is better than dealing with Revis and his handlers every two years.

I hope Revis does the right thing and handles himself well. Him showing up for TC is a nice first step. Now lets just see how it progresses.
    What do you REALISTICALLY think you would get in a trade for Revis next season? He would have to agree to a huge deal with the team who trades for him before they would give up anything substantial for him. Even then, given the money, I dont think the Jets will get back as much as people think.

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    Highest Paid NFL Players 2011
    http://www.therichest.org/sports/hig...-players-2011/

1. Peyton Manning
    Indianapolis Colts
    Quarterback
    2011 Salary: $23 million

2. Sam Bradford
    St. Louis Rams
    Quarterback
    2011 Salary: $18.4 million

3. Tom Brady
    New England Patriots
    Quarterback
    2011 Salary: $18 million

4. Michael Vick
    Philadelphia Eagles
    Quarterback
    2011 Salary: $15.9 million

5. Richard Seymour
    Oakland Raiders
    Defensive End/Defensive Tackle
    2011 Salary: $15 million

6. Elvis Dumervil
    Denver Broncos
    Defensive End/Outside Linebacker
    2011 Salary: $14 million

7. Mark Sanchez
    New York Jets
    Quarterback
    2011 Salary: $13.5 million

8. Gerald McCoy
    Tampa Bay Buccaneers
    Defensive Tackle
    2011 Salary: $12.8 million

9. Haloti Ngata
    Baltimore Ravens
    Defensive Tackle
    2011 Salary: $12.5 million

10. Paul Soliai
    Miami Dolphins
    Defensive Tackle
    2011 Salary: $12.4 million

hmmm... i wonder why revis isn't on this list from 2011? didn't he earn over $16M last year? this list must be base salaries so i guess it's basically meaningless.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quick.......name the cornerbacks in last years Superbowl....

Ok, now name the CBs in last years AFCCGs.....................

Trade his azz next year for a boatload of picks & lets win a Superbowl over the next 7 years.

Have to say I have been a Jet fan for so long & everytime we get a premier player, which hasn't been often they end up prima donnas putting themselves over the team
    Gastineau
    Keyshawn
    Favre
    Revis
    It does suck being a Jet fan

Damn...give me that 82 team any day! Just thinking about that soggy field in Miami makes me want to fly to Miami & punch Don Shula square in that clutch cargo chin of his!

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by sec.101row23 View Post
    What do you REALISTICALLY think you would get in a trade for Revis next season? He would have to agree to a huge deal with the team who trades for him before they would give up anything substantial for him. Even then, given the money, I dont think the Jets will get back as much as people think.
    I think people are underestimating the market for the top CB and possibly top defender in the league in his prime. It's a passing league, corner backs are as valuable as ever. I would be willing to bet there are several teams willing to dish out a big long term contract and good value in a trade.

Perhaps a player for player trade? Are there any other top players going into the last year of their contract next offseason? Maybe a top flight receiver or pass rusher?

In a trade for picks, I think we could get a first and third at the very least.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    I agree, it is not going to be easy to find a trade partner. I do not think many teams would be willing to trade for AND then have to pay him a ton of money.

IMO the most we could get is 2 #1s. And since I would think the team that is willing to trade for him would be a team that is close to winning, the picks may end up being low picks.

But the Jets need to gauge the situation. Are they willing to pay him what he wants? If so, then do it and put all of this bed. And if they aren't, are they ready to deal with a possible holdout and/or losing him via FA in a couple of years and getting nothing in return. It is not an easy situation.

I am tired of hearing about Revis and his contract. I just want this resolved either way. Either pay him or trade him. We might luck out this year and he will be a happy camper. So my guess is we will be revisiting this after the season again.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    I agree, it is not going to be easy to find a trade partner. I do not think many teams would be willing to trade for AND then have to pay him a ton of money.

IMO the most we could get is 2 #1s. And since I would think the team that is willing to trade for him would be a team that is close to winning, the picks may end up being low picks.

But the Jets need to gauge the situation. Are they willing to pay him what he wants? If so, then do it and put all of this bed. And if they aren't, are they ready to deal with a possible holdout and/or losing him via FA in a couple of years and getting nothing in return. It is not an easy situation.

I am tired of hearing about Revis and his contract. I just want this resolved either way. Either pay him or trade him. We might luck out this year and he will be a happy camper. So my guess is we will be revisiting this after the season again.
    I dont think there is any chance in hell the Jets get 2 #1s for Revis.

Veteran
    Rochester, NY--Originally from Long Island
    Post Thanks / Like
    I think at some point you have to look at what is best for the teams future financially. Giving Revis $18 million per year would be a catastrophic mistake made by our team b/c of the tight budget we have to work with over the next couple of years. And if this is truly the amount Revis is looking for then as much as it would suck I think the Jets would have to trade him. Paying him that amount of money would likely mean the loss of key younger players that we wouldn't be able to sign down the road. But even with that amount of asking money my opinion is that it wouldn't stop other teams from being able to afford him. Here are some teams that could take on a $15-$18 million per year contract:

Teams Amt under cap

Bengals $16 million

Browns $18 million

Bucs $16 million

Chiefs $17 million

Jaguars $25 million

Titans $18 million

Seahawks $19 million

Colts $15 million

Now I read some people saying that we don't have leverage b/c teams would know that Revis is going to be a free agent after next season. The reason the Jets would have great leverage is two fold. One is that there will be in my opinion double digit teams trying to trade for him and we can get the max for him. The second reason why I believe the Jets would have more leverage then you may think is b/c when he gets to free agency the bidding war may get him to that $18 million per number, if they trade for him before next season he may accept $15-$16 million per year so he doesn't risk getting hurt before he hits the open market. Would you risk a 6 yr $90-$96 million with $50-$60 million guaranteed contract for a couple of million more per year? I fully believe Revis would be willing to work a contract out with a new team as part of a trade b/c as we all know by now he is willing to go to the highest bidder no matter what team it is. I would be content on trading Revis if it brought back a solid #2 CB with 2 1st round picks and a mid round pick. I don't think that would be too much to ask for.

The Jaguars would be the most intriguing team. A trade with them would most likely get us a top 5 pick next year among other things. Plus they have the most money to pay Revis and their new owner would be willing to make a splash to bring some fans into the stadium. What do you guys think?

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    It depends on the draft slot. Top 10, no chance. Bottom 10, possibly.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Maybe you are right.

Either way we are going to have to pay him or trade him eventually. I do not think it is likely that he plays out his contract.

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Choon328 View Post
    I think at some point you have to look at what is best for the teams future financially. Giving Revis $18 million per year would be a catastrophic mistake made by our team b/c of the tight budget we have to work with over the next couple of years. And if this is truly the amount Revis is looking for then as much as it would suck I think the Jets would have to trade him. Paying him that amount of money would likely mean the loss of key younger players that we wouldn't be able to sign down the road. But even with that amount of asking money my opinion is that it wouldn't stop other teams from being able to afford him. Here are some teams that could take on a $15-$18 million per year contract:

Teams Amt under cap

Bengals $16 million

Browns $18 million

Bucs $16 million

Chiefs $17 million

Jaguars $25 million

Titans $18 million

Seahawks $19 million

Colts $15 million

Now I read some people saying that we don't have leverage b/c teams would know that Revis is going to be a free agent after next season. The reason the Jets would have great leverage is two fold. One is that there will be in my opinion double digit teams trying to trade for him and we can get the max for him. The second reason why I believe the Jets would have more leverage then you may think is b/c when he gets to free agency the bidding war may get him to that $18 million per number, if they trade for him before next season he may accept $15-$16 million per year so he doesn't risk getting hurt before he hits the open market. Would you risk a 6 yr $90-$96 million with $50-$60 million guaranteed contract for a couple of million more per year? I fully believe Revis would be willing to work a contract out with a new team as part of a trade b/c as we all know by now he is willing to go to the highest bidder no matter what team it is. I would be content on trading Revis if it brought back a solid #2 CB with 2 1st round picks and a mid round pick. I don't think that would be too much to ask for.

The Jaguars would be the most intriguing team. A trade with them would most likely get us a top 5 pick next year among other things. Plus they have the most money to pay Revis and their new owner would be willing to make a splash to bring some fans into the stadium. What do you guys think?
    if kyle wilson looks good this year revis becomes more expendable. (interesting that wilson trained with bart scott in the offseason instead of darrelle revis like last year.)

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    IF he becomes a problem this TC, trade him after this year. Use that money to buy a decent pass rusher and an OL. Use the picks to move up for a QB if Sanchez flops (hopefully its not a USC QB ) or if Sanchez proves himself use them to move up and get a real blue chip player. Or use the picks to acquire players. Anything is better than dealing with Revis and his handlers every two years.

When Revis is present, when has he ever been a problem? He's too prideful to pull a stunt like Brandon Marshall did a few years ago with the Broncos.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by JB1089 View Post
    When Revis is present, when has he ever been a problem? He's too prideful to pull a stunt like Brandon Marshall did a few years ago with the Broncos.
    Never. He has been a model citizen and is very professional. I expect it to stay that way. Which is why I hope he is there to stay in TC. For him to show up and then holdout or sit out would be foul IMO.

Rookie
    Post Thanks / Like
    I guess it comes down to what team would give up top picks PLUS a boatload of money for a player who would be whining for a new contract every couple of years.

He's not known as Mevis for no good reason.

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Post Thanks / Like
    Right now, this is a non-issue. Revis won't hold out, and Jets are focused on fixing the team. Why would you re-negotiate again? To get the new wave of guaranteed money. Jets protected themselves here, and Revis has ZERO leverage. He wants to rape the Jets' wallets.

He'll have to have a monster year to justify the money he's going to ask for. Until then, he's going to play hard this year.

Jets have issues to fix on the field right now. Not caving to a demand for a new contract, that he signed after holding out last time, is a good way to go about it. Jets are handling it fine, IMO. Revis and his agents are the problems here.

Just play. You'll get paid.

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    Darrelle Revis says he was 'close' to holding out before reporting to Jets training camp on time

BY Manish Mehta

CORTLAND – After an offseason clouded by uncertainty, Darrelle Revis reported to the first day of training camp on Thursday after weighing the pros and cons of staging the third holdout of his career. Revis, who has two years remaining on a re-worked 4-year, $46 million deal, nearly came close to not showing up to the team facility on Thursday morning for physicals before driving up to Cortland.

“It was close (to) happening… for me holding out,” Revis said shortly after his arrival.

Revis said he decided to show up on time “a couple days ago” after “numerous meetings through OTAs” with his agents.

“I never said I was unhappy with my contract,” Revis said. “I know what I signed a couple years ago. There were talks a couple years ago about a Band-Aid and that was that. Now, we’re here and we have to move forward.”

Revis, however, made it clear that “something’s got to happen sooner or later in terms of my future with the team,”

“I want to be a Jet for life,” Revis said. “But If management doesn’t’ see fit (that happens), then I have to move on.”

The All-Pro cornerback earned $32.5 million in the first two years of his contract, but is set to earn a relatively modest $7.5 million in 2012. His agents spoke “briefly” with general manager Mike Tannenbaum, but the discussions “didn’t go nowhere,” he said.

“The (team) response was, ‘We’ll deal with it later,’” Revis said. “I trust Mike and what he’s saying and we’ll see.”

“Just like you guys heard, it was a Band Aid,” he added. “You never know what day or what year you’re really going to discuss it. That’s how you got to look at it. It could happen in the season, it could happen after. It could never happen. So, as of right now, where my mind is just getting ready for this season.”

Although Revis would be amenable to opening negotiations during the season, he didn’t see that happening. “I don’t think Mike would do that during the season because it is a distraction,” Revis said. “You probably want to handle that matter during the offseason.”

Revis also admitted that the clause in his deal that tacks on an additional three years at a team-friendly $3 million per year played a role in his decision not to hold out. Most of all, he’s eager to be around his team again.

“I haven’t been to a lot of training camps in the past,” Revis joked. “My focus right now is just try to dominate again.”

http://www.nydailynews.com/blogs/jet...training-camp-

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Post Thanks / Like
    Does anyone know if Revis has any sort of veto power in his contract regarding trades?

Does that even exist in the NFL?