Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: NFL Network just getting into the Jets talk...

so tired of this old school NFL thought. 2 QBs won't work. well, maybe only a handful have ever tried. no creativity in the coaches. it took until 2007 for the league to turn into a passing league. College coaches put in these creative offenses and put up 40 ppg for years. sure, the defenses aren't as good in college, but college coaches are always trying something new. NFL guys? "well, this is how we've always done it." 4th and 10 inches? let's punt 4 out of 5 times

why do I have this feeling Chad OchoJohnson was brought in by the Dolphins for Hard Knocks entertainmen?t And the Fins know he's washed up and so the final scene of the hard knocks season is Chad getting cut. would not be surprised. That is such celebrity-seeking club. even more than us!

Quote Originally Posted by BamaJets View Post
    so tired of this old school NFL thought. 2 QBs won't work. well, maybe only a handful have ever tried. no creativity in the coaches. it took until 2007 for the league to turn into a passing league. College coaches put in these creative offenses and put up 40 ppg for years. sure, the defenses aren't as good in college, but college coaches are always trying something new. NFL guys? "well, this is how we've always done it." 4th and 10 inches? let's punt 4 out of 5 times
    Tebow's role as 'punt protector' is primarily to put him on the field in situations like this. You can't just trot him out there in punt formations on 4th and short so you train him up on the role and make it his. The Jets will always be a threat to fake...run or pass, out of the punt formation. I really wouldn't be surprised if this team goes for it out of the punt formation more than any team in history this year.

Veteran
    Gotta to agree with you here ...Since the NFL have cut down on the hitting to protect players they need to entertain fans with a little more creativity in other aspects of the game.

IMO there is potential for tremendous creativity with Sanchez/Tebow.

So Baldinger just got through ripping the Jets. Wasn't Baldinger a game analyst (like Fox's 4th team) who was let go because he sucked? yeah, he knows his sht. probably hasn't step foot in the Jets facility or personally talked to a Jets coach/player in his "analyst" career.

Quote Originally Posted by SINYJets View Post
    Tebow's role as 'punt protector' is primarily to put him on the field in situations like this. You can't just trot him out there in punt formations on 4th and short so you train him up on the role and make it his. The Jets will always be a threat to fake...run or pass, out of the punt formation. I really wouldn't be surprised if this team goes for it out of the punt formation more than any team in history this year.
    If it's under a yard on 4th, might as well let Tebow take the snap under center and bull ahead. But I would LOVE to see a ton of fake punts. That would be fantastic!

Historically, the creativity in the college game stems from small schools trying to compensate for the talent disparity between themselves and the big schools.

You can't play power football at a small school and expect to beat top 20 programs. Their guys on defense are bigger and stronger than your offensive line. Therefore, you've got to think outside of the box in order to have a chance.

Urban Meyer developed the spread-option at Bowling Green, and then at Utah.

Mike Leach built the Air Raid at Valdosta State, OC'd a year at Oklahoma, then got the job at Texas Tech.

June Jones ran the Run n' Shoot at Hawaii, and now does it at SMU.

Chip Kelly started running his "blur" offense at New Hampshire.

Going back a little bit, LaVell Edwards coached at BYU.

That talent disparity is not present in the NFL, so people are less inclined to take chances. Everyone wants to build their team the same way in the NFL. It used to be: good QB, stop the run, run the ball. Now it's: great QB, protect the QB, hit the other team's Qb.

Another factor is that, historically, there was far more job security in college than in the pros. If you're an NFL coach and you try something radically different that fails...you're not getting another good job for a very long time, if ever. Do things the traditional way and fail? You'll probably get another shot at it, or at least land a comfortable coordinator job somewhere.

The NFL climate just isn't as conducive to innovation as the college climate.

Quote Originally Posted by JB1089 View Post
    Historically, the creativity in the college game stems from small schools trying to compensate for the talent disparity between themselves and the big schools.

You can't play power football at a small school and expect to beat top 20 programs. Their guys on defense are bigger and stronger than your offensive line. Therefore, you've got to think outside of the box in order to have a chance.

Urban Meyer developed the spread-option at Bowling Green, and then at Utah.

Mike Leach built the Air Raid at Valdosta State, OC'd a year at Oklahoma, then got the job at Texas Tech.

June Jones ran the Run n' Shoot at Hawaii, and now does it at SMU.

Chip Kelly started running his "blur" offense at New Hampshire.

Going back a little bit, LaVell Edwards coached at BYU.

That talent disparity is not present in the NFL, so people are less inclined to take chances. Everyone wants to build their team the same way in the NFL. It used to be: good QB, stop the run, run the ball. Now it's: great QB, protect the QB, hit the other team's Qb.

Another factor is that, historically, there was far more job security in college than in the pros. If you're an NFL coach and you try something radically different that fails...you're not getting another good job for a very long time, if ever. Do things the traditional way and fail? You'll probably get another shot at it, or at least land a comfortable coordinator job somewhere.

The NFL climate just isn't as conducive to innovation as the college climate.
    No, you're right. I completely understand the talent disparity. But coaches don't need radical changes. Look at what the Pats and Pete Carmichael with the Saints are doing. They are saying, we're throwing more than the norm, stop us. And teams can't, the corners and safeties just can't cover.

Cam Newton put up 35 TDs as a rookie doing a lot of the things he did in college. I understand he's an athlete that should be placed in a seperate category, but he still did it.

a little creativity lacking in the NFL, that's all

No, you're right. I completely understand the talent disparity. But coaches don't need radical changes. Look at what the Pats and Pete Carmichael with the Saints are doing. They are saying, we're throwing more than the norm, stop us. And teams can't, the corners and safeties just can't cover.

Cam Newton put up 35 TDs as a rookie doing a lot of the things he did in college. I understand he's an athlete that should be placed in a seperate category, but he still did it.

a little creativity lacking in the NFL, that's all
    You're definitely right about that. I'm just saying that I understand why so many coaches are risk averse.

Jets Insider VIP
    So Baldinger just got through ripping the Jets. Wasn't Baldinger a game analyst (like Fox's 4th team) who was let go because he sucked? yeah, he knows his sht. probably hasn't step foot in the Jets facility or personally talked to a Jets coach/player in his "analyst" career.
    Baldinger is pretty insightful and balanced from what I remember. Can you shed any insight as to what was said about the Jets?

Gotta love the bias. When they talked about us, they couldn't stop pointing out every single flaw and our supposed "QB controversy". But, when it was time to talk about the Giants they just gushed and when they got to any sort of flaw, Rich said "let's not bring up sore points".

Gotta love how overrated the Giants are right now.

Jets Insider VIP
    I think Baldinger just got his pinky twisted in a knot. That's all.

He was an undrafted O lineman, who cares what he says about QBs. Trent Dilfer was a super bowl winning QB who has a passion for studying QBs and he is still a big Sanchez supporter. I really can't wait till the Jets prove all the doom and gloomers wrong this year.

I honestly believe the fallout at the end of the season was the best thing to happen to this team and they are coming out with a vengence this year. Don't say I told you so.