Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Results 41 to 53 of 53

Thread: Bill Maher "But I'm Not Wrong"

  1. #41
    Hall Of Fame
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    Van down by the river
    Posts
    22,433
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Warfish View Post
    His role as an entertainer? Aye.
    So is Louis CK.

    But I don't go around repeating everything that he says and I don't use his thoughts on family and childrearing as a way of life.

    Rush's listeners do.

  2. #42
    JetsInsider.com Legend
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    37,686
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by FF2® View Post
    people can say whatever they want. The globe keeps spinning no?
    People can, aye.

    Government representatives talking "ban" with the power of Law behind them....can't.

    Small subtle difference there, if one chooses to see it.

    I fully support the individual who says "**** Fil-A, their owned prefers normal biological pairings!!!!".

    I do not support a Govt. Official, like say, a Mayor, saying that a business should be banned from operations because their owner said he "supports tradional marriage" without takign any action to descriminate against other forms.

    See now, or no?

    Or, I'm goign to guess, you see no issue either way unless an actual ban is put in place, is that the out-of-choie to defend the Anti-Fil-A side currently?



    Quote Originally Posted by PlumberKhan View Post
    So is Louis CK.

    But I don't go around repeating everything that he says and I don't use his thoughts on family and childrearing as a way of life.

    Rush's listeners do.
    CK is a Comedian, a not-funny-one in my view but thats beside the point.

    Lambaugh is a Political Wonk exclusively. Rush is more like John Stewart....and I know PLENTY of folks who have formed their thoughs on Politics based on Stewart. Apples to apples.

    What is your point, exactly? That Maher = Limbaugh? Ok. And?

  3. #43
    JetsInsider.com Legend
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Posts
    49,999
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Warfish View Post
    People can, aye.

    Government representatives talking "ban" with the power of Law behind them....can't.

    Small subtle difference there, if one chooses to see it.

    I fully support the individual who says "**** Fil-A, their owned prefers normal biological pairings!!!!".

    I do not support a Govt. Official, like say, a Mayor, saying that a business should be banned from operations because their owner said he "supports tradional marriage" without takign any action to descriminate against other forms.

    See now, or no?

    Or, I'm goign to guess, you see no issue either way unless an actual ban is put in place, is that the out-of-choie to defend the Anti-Fil-A side currently?



    ?
    Teh mayor can talk to pander to his base, the CEO can talk to pander to his base..and people can or cannot eat chicken sandwiches.

    I dont get the outrage on either side.

  4. #44
    Hall Of Fame
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    Van down by the river
    Posts
    22,433
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Warfish View Post
    People can, aye.

    Government representatives talking "ban" with the power of Law behind them....can't.

    Small subtle difference there, if one chooses to see it.

    I fully support the individual who says "**** Fil-A, their owned prefers normal biological pairings!!!!".

    I do not support a Govt. Official, like say, a Mayor, saying that a business should be banned from operations because their owner said he "supports tradional marriage" without takign any action to descriminate against other forms.

    See now, or no?

    Or, I'm goign to guess, you see no issue either way unless an actual ban is put in place, is that the out-of-choie to defend the Anti-Fil-A side currently?





    CK is a Comedian, a not-funny-one in my view but thats beside the point.

    Lambaugh is a Political Wonk exclusively. Rush is more like John Stewart....and I know PLENTY of folks who have formed their thoughs on Politics based on Stewart. Apples to apples.

    What is your point, exactly? That Maher = Limbaugh? Ok. And?
    Are you gonna start a thread about how leftists aren't demanding that Daniel Tosh issue an apology for routinely making fun of Asians, Jews and woman?


    Sent from my Double-Wide using Semaphore...

  5. #45
    JetsInsider.com Legend
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    37,686
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by PlumberKhan View Post
    Are you gonna start a thread about how leftists aren't demanding that Daniel Tosh issue an apology for routinely making fun of Asians, Jews and woman?
    Why would I do that.

    Tosh was just in a rather snarky bru-ha-ha for making a rape joke whilst a women was in the audience.

    He was forced, via pressure, to make an apology.

    I'm still going to have to admit I'm not getting whatever point it is you're attempting to make ol bud.

  6. #46
    JetsInsider.com Legend
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    37,686
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by FF2® View Post
    Teh mayor can talk to pander to his base

    I dont get the outrage on either side.
    I never assumed you would.

    The idea that a Mayor (i.e the Government) working for or even just speaking publicly about, banning a business for the mainstream (by every poll and referendum thus far) views of it's owner (views I must stress, not actions) would never occur to you as a "bad thing". Govt. threats like that are just routine busienss.

    Hence, you have no clue why one would be outraged over it.

    As they say, if you don't see it, I can't show it to you.


  7. #47
    JetsInsider.com Legend
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Posts
    49,999
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Warfish View Post
    I never assumed you would.

    The idea that a Mayor (i.e the Government) working for or even just speaking publicly about, banning a business for the mainstream (by every poll and referendum thus far) views of it's owner (views I must stress, not actions) would never occur to you as a "bad thing". Govt. threats like that are just routine busienss.

    Hence, you have no clue why one would be outraged over it.

    As they say, if you don't see it, I can't show it to you.


    You can't be so naive to see that the mayor is simply trying to score poiints here. He admitted shortly after he can't stop them from doing anything.

    Or to think his views are "mainstream" in this neck of the woods.

    did read the text of the letter. He never said anything about banning.

    BTW, they are not just this CEOs words. They make hiring decisions base on the applicants (family) values.
    Last edited by FF2®; 07-28-2012 at 07:07 PM.

  8. #48
    JetsInsider.com Legend
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    37,686
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by FF2® View Post
    BTW, they are not just this CEOs words. They make hiring decisions base on the applicants (family) values.
    Source of that claim is? Because best as I know that is an outright lie.

    And yes, a number of indiviudals jumped on the "ban" bandwagon.

    (Reuters) - Boston Mayor Thomas Menino has waded into the national controversy surrounding fast food chain Chick-fil-A, whose president has publicly opposed same-sex marriage, urging the chicken sandwich sellers to stay out of Boston.

    "Now - incredibly - your company says you are backing out of the same-sex marriage debate. I urge you to back out of your plans to locate in Boston."

    Emanuel is the second big-city mayor to go after Chick-fil-A. Mayor Thomas Menino said the chain “doesn’t belong in Boston.”

    “Chick-fil-A’s values are not Chicago values. They’re not respectful of our residents, our neighbors and our family members. And if you’re gonna be part of the Chicago community, you should reflect Chicago values,” Emanuel said Wednesday according to the Sun-Times.

    “What the CEO has said as it relates to gay marriage and gay couples is not what I believe, but more importantly, it’s not what the people of Chicago believe. We just passed legislation as it relates to civil union and my goal and my hope … is that we now move on recognizing gay marriage. I do not believe that the CEO’s comments . . . reflects who we are as a city.”
    But as I said, you clearly see no problemn with the Government, via the head Adminsitrator of a jurisdiction, telling a private business they're not welcome in a City for the personal beliefs of it's CEO, even if those beleifs are backed by a majority of citizens (as they are if one looks strictly at the various referrendums, all of whcih have lost) of the Nation as a whole.

    If you don't see it, I can't show you. But imagaine if an (R) Mayor today told a gay CEO his company didn't beling in his City, and an Alderman of that City was drafting legislation to actually bar them, simply because the CEO belives in Gay Marriage.

  9. #49
    Hall Of Fame
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    Van down by the river
    Posts
    22,433
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Warfish View Post
    Why would I do that.

    Tosh was just in a rather snarky bru-ha-ha for making a rape joke whilst a women was in the audience.

    He was forced, via pressure, to make an apology.

    I'm still going to have to admit I'm not getting whatever point it is you're attempting to make ol bud.
    Maher is a comedian.

    You and I may not think he is very funny. I, like you, prefer Lewis Black's more sarcastic, exasperated type of fed-up, get the hell out of my way comedy as opposed to Maher's Gayafornia's weird comedy.

    But it isn't a "double standard" to expect the "left" to "apologize" for something a "comedian" has said on one of his "shows"....and not to have it happen.


    He's a comedian. His "fans" don't call themselves "dittotowhatBillMahersaidHeads"....

    You shouldn't be offended or surprised at the stuff that comes out of a comedians mouth.



    Sent from my Double-Wide using Semaphore...

  10. #50
    JetsInsider.com Legend
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    37,686
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by PlumberKhan View Post
    Maher is a comedian.

    You and I may not think he is very funny. I, like you, prefer Lewis Black's more sarcastic, exasperated type of fed-up, get the hell out of my way comedy as opposed to Maher's Gayafornia's weird comedy.

    But it isn't a "double standard" to expect the "left" to "apologize" for something a "comedian" has said on one of his "shows"....and not to have it happen.


    He's a comedian. His "fans" don't call themselves "dittotowhatBillMahersaidHeads"....

    You shouldn't be offended or surprised at the stuff that comes out of a comedians mouth.



    Sent from my Double-Wide using Semaphore...
    It's absolutely a double standard.

    Maher calls Palin a stupid whore *****. Ok.

    Rush says wanting condoms on the public dime makes you a slut. Not Ok.

    Thats a double standard mate. Sorry.

  11. #51
    All League
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Farmingdale, NY
    Posts
    2,519
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Warfish View Post
    It's absolutely a double standard.

    Maher calls Palin a stupid whore *****. Ok.

    Rush says wanting condoms on the public dime makes you a slut. Not Ok.

    Thats a double standard mate. Sorry.
    8:06

    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vK8ID0Eki68

    That sums it up for me.

  12. #52
    Jets Insider VIP
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Posts
    4,217
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by SafetyBlitz View Post
    8:06

    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vK8ID0Eki68

    That sums it up for me.
    So all we have to do is acknowledge Limbaugh is a ******* and he can say whatever he wants?

    Something tells me that's not exactly accurate . . .

  13. #53
    All Pro
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Posts
    6,162
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by PlumberKhan View Post
    So is Louis CK.

    But I don't go around repeating everything that he says and I don't use his thoughts on family and childrearing as a way of life.

    Rush's listeners do.
    And this makes Rush Limbaugh indefensible?

    To reiterate Warfish's point: he is disappointed in the trajectory of Bill Maher's comedy career.

    Personally, I think it's safe to say when a famous funny man donates $1 million to a political candidate his primary agenda isn't to make people laugh.

    I would like to see Bill Maher & Greg Gutfeld hash out some issues one-on-one. Don't know who'd win the debate, but we'd probably see how unfunny Bill Maher is.

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Follow Us