Thread: Jets need Cortland

Jets need Cortland

The 2011 Jets were one of the most disjointed teams since Rex Ryan arrived in NY.
    I for one am very excited about this team going into camp.
    It's actually amazing to see these story lines unfold in 2012 & the difference one year can make regarding the NFL.
    We've seen it every year in this league. Who would have thought the Bengals would have the season they had, or the Chargers imploding. The Eagles for all of their talent ended 8-8, I'm sure their fans were thinking Superbowl.
    The Patriots never change because they have 2 pcs each year that never change in Brady & BB. That continuity is incredibly important.

I try to look at the Jets objectively & I will not just discard the fact that many factors led to last years disappointing season.

1- Rex lost the team. Without camp Rex had a bad year. But fans that are not willing to give this guy an opportunity to learn from his mistakes & try to make himself a better Head coach are being very shortsighted. My god, the guy got us to two AFCCG in a row with basically a rookie QB.

2- Shottenheimer! Players FINALLY lost faith in him. That's what happened, plain & simple. 6 years of the same lame azz BS is way too long & he was finally exposed for what he is, a coach who got where he was through nepotism & media hype. He's being replaced by a guy that was hand picked by a HOF coach in Bill Parcells, a guy that brings his lunchpail attitude, an incredible work ethic, & EXPERIENCE that little Shoddy just does not have.

3- Oline health. This was a huge factor last year. Moore coming in after having surgery on both hips, Mangold going down early, no depth, Slauson playing with a bum shoulder, the line was a MESS last year. Then you had DBrick having his worst year as a pro & it's actually amazing this team won 8 games.

4- Sanchez- See Shottenheimer. Sanchez lost faith in his coach, when that happens it's over. Shoddy almost got our QB killed last year, horrible protection plans, Hunter having 1 on 1s with Ware ect., it boiled over into the Santonio fiasco. The offense hated each other.

5- Defense. Despite the offense being 3rd overall in three & outs, constantly being put in bad field position by the offense, 49 points given up by the offense, no pash rush, they still managed to be 5th overall in the league.
    This year they have mad depth on the front line, Maybin with a full camp, Coples, Big Mo in his 2nd year, Kendrick Ellis deportation thoughts out of his mind, Damario Davis, a lighter Scott, Devito back healthy, Bryan Thomas back, & the fact that Rex will again take a more "hands on approach" to the defense gives me confidence that the 2012 NY Jets have a chance to have a really good defense.

6- Tebow, yes Tebow. While I completely realize that Mark Sanchez is our starting QB, I'm thinking about what Bill Polian said on NFL Sirius radio. He basically said that NO DEFENSE can stop Tebow in the option inside the 5 yard line. He also said that Tebow is incredibly tough to stop on short yardage, meaning that the synergy between Sanchez & Tebow will be that Tebow will allow Mark to get 4 more downs to do his thing.
    Tebow for all of his polarization with fans & the media is the ULTIMATE team player. He'll have Marks back & will support Mark at all times.
    I honestly believe that Tebow will have a positive effect on Mark, no more sitting by himself, moping around.
    Tebow makes people believe that good things will happen with hard work & there will be a time when Tebow drags a linebacker into the endzone & fires this whole team up. He will be a positive for the Jets.

That's why I feel this team has a chance to be special, Mark being in his 4th year won't hurt either. Experience is good! Failure is also good, when it's used to motivate.

Here come the Jets!

True, I think Cortland was dearly missed, but I guess you could say that about every other team.

But I like your line "Failure is good." True. the team was embarrassed by what happened last season and now everyone (media, non fans) is piling on and counting the Jets out this year. I like that. I like that a lot.

And I think we're going to see the best Rex we have seen to date. He hated what happened last season and seems re-dedicated to coaching and his personal life (weight loss). Seems like he's on a mission. Gotta love that.

All League
    "One of the Most"???

How about...

THE MOST

The biggest **** show of a team in recent memory. DISASTER.

Hall Of Fame
    Quote Originally Posted by SouthTown View Post
    "One of the Most"???

How about...

THE MOST

Settle down Beavis

All League
    Quote Originally Posted by Ruby2 View Post
    Settle down Beavis
    Beavis is calm.

But let's be honest here, last year was an utter disaster and the ultimate disappointment. It was one of the biggest letdowns in Jet history (or recent history since I started following in 1990, born in 1985)

Hall Of Fame
    What the Jets need is to play better. Nearly everyone on offense had a down year. And some key guys on defense played poorly as well.

Every team in the league missed camp. Every team's rookies missed camp. Since the Jets had continuity in the coaching staff and a lot of veteran players, they were supposed to be one of the least effected teams.

I would like to think everyone has learned from their mistakes and they will take this time in Cortland to build some team unity. Hopefully some leaders emerge and Sanchez takes ownership of the team.

I am looking forward to seeing some of our rookies and younger guys in camp. This is the first camp for 2 rookie classes. Hopefully Davis' hammy is nothing serious and he doesn't miss much time b.c he was one of the guys I was looking forward to most.

Now we all need to get ready for what will be the official start of Tebowmania. I expect things to be in full-swing shortly. But hopefully, that allows some other guys to fly under the radar.

Quote Originally Posted by DDNYjets View Post
    What the Jets need is to play better. Nearly everyone on offense had a down year. And some key guys on defense played poorly as well.

Every team in the league missed camp. Every team's rookies missed camp. Since the Jets had continuity in the coaching staff and a lot of veteran players, they were supposed to be one of the least effected teams.

I would like to think everyone has learned from their mistakes and they will take this time in Cortland to build some team unity. Hopefully some leaders emerge and Sanchez takes ownership of the team.

I am looking forward to seeing some of our rookies and younger guys in camp. This is the first camp for 2 rookie classes. Hopefully Davis' hammy is nothing serious and he doesn't miss much time b.c he was one of the guys I was looking forward to most.

Now we all need to get ready for what will be the official start of Tebowmania. I expect things to be in full-swing shortly. But hopefully, that allows some other guys to fly under the radar.
    Not everyone in the media is hyping Tebow, in fact there are many in the media that are finally settling into the fact that Sanchez is our QB. Plain & simple, even Steve Young talked about it last night on Audibles on ESPN. Young looked a little irritated at guys like Wiley who keep trumpeting the idea that Tebow will be a distraction.
    I actually think that for the most part this whole IDEA that there is a QB controversy in NY is pretty much dead. As much as these mediots in NY try to keep pressing the issue, Cimini ect. there are way more people like Steve Wyche, Young, Polian, & many more who feel that Tebow is what he is, a COMPONENT that will help the Jets.
    Sparano will figure out how to use him & I'm sure they will have game specific plays for him depending on a lot of factors.

Hall Of Fame
    Charter JI Member

"One of the Most"???

How about...

THE MOST

Wow, given that he's only coached 3 teams, and the other two went to the AFCCG really not that hard to figure that out on our own.

Hall Of Fame
    Charter JI Member

Quote Originally Posted by jetster View Post
    Not everyone in the media is hyping Tebow, in fact there are many in the media that are finally settling into the fact that Sanchez is our QB. Plain & simple, even Steve Young talked about it last night on Audibles on ESPN. Young looked a little irritated at guys like Wiley who keep trumpeting the idea that Tebow will be a distraction.
    I actually think that for the most part this whole IDEA that there is a QB controversy in NY is pretty much dead. As much as these mediots in NY try to keep pressing the issue, Cimini ect. there are way more people like Steve Wyche, Young, Polian, & many more who feel that Tebow is what he is, a COMPONENT that will help the Jets.
    Sparano will figure out how to use him & I'm sure they will have game specific plays for him depending on a lot of factors.
    Exactly. They were going through the different teams, their different issues on NFL Live and they reluctantly admitted it. Rex, the Jets and Sanchez have handled it well, Tebow is the backup and the only way that he starts is due to injury. If the media stops pushing it, it dies, the vast majority of fans don't think Tebow starts.

Hey, even the Tebowites that ran to this board when we got him hardly post

"One of the Most"???

How about...

THE MOST

Yes, an 8-8 team that failed to achieve and collapsed late in the season was the biggest sh*tshow in recent memory.

If your memory doesn't include the Vinny Testaverde achilles injury in 1999, or the 6-10 season in 2003, or when we only won 4 games in 2005 under the leadership of Brooks Bollinger, or when we won another 4 games in 2007 in year 2 of the Mangini era.

Quote Originally Posted by Jet Nut View Post
    Exactly. They were going through the different teams, their different issues on NFL Live and they reluctantly admitted it. Rex, the Jets and Sanchez have handled it well, Tebow is the backup and the only way that he starts is due to injury. If the media stops pushing it, it dies, the vast majority of fans don't think Tebow starts.

Hey, even the Tebowites that ran to this board when we got him hardly post
    No one will be laughing when the Jets eventually trade him for a #2 pick.
    People forget that Tebow was thrust into the lineup in Denver.
    I have to say, Steve Young is very good in the media & he seems to think before he opens his mouth & he had guys with their jaws hanging when last night he claimed that, "Tebow will get better as a QB & feels he hasn't really scratched his potential".
    Young knows an athlete when he sees one, he understands that Tebow is not a starting QB RIGHT NOW, but everyone seems to forget that it takes a lot of time normally to be become a DECENT NFL QB.
    No ones claiming that he can be a Manning or Brady, but with that guys work ethic, I wouldn't just say he'll never play QB in this league.
    It just won't be with the Jets.

Hall Of Fame
    Things haven't even started yet. Wait till the preseason games start.

I agree. I don't think there is a QB controversy. And the better Sanchez plays the more the media will be muted.

I have to say, Steve Young is very good in the media & he seems to think before he opens his mouth & he had guys with their jaws hanging when last night he claimed that, "Tebow will get better as a QB & feels he hasn't really scratched his potential".
    Young knows an athlete when he sees one, he understands that Tebow is not a starting QB RIGHT NOW, but everyone seems to forget that it takes a lot of time normally to be become a DECENT NFL QB.
    bingo. Steve Young sees the big picture. A few other guys do too, but most are just there for a paycheck and do absolutely zero research or have original thoughts. I don't know if tebow will ever become a good QB, but too many analysts seem to forget that it is possible to improve your game at 24 yrs old.

Quote Originally Posted by DDNYjets View Post

Yes, every team had to deal with the same circumstances regarding the lockout, but there certainly can be arguments made that some teams were more effected by it than others, and it is very easy to understand how the Jets missed Cortland, since not all teams go away to camp like the Jets do.

I disagree that the Jets had a lot of continuity with the veterans. The WR position had 4 new players, only Holmes and Turner remained from the previous year. The DL went through extended turnover with the youth movement through the draft. Each team is different, so when there is a lot of roster turnover, which was the case for the Jets last year when you think about the number of FA's they had, who they re-signed, and who they didn't re-sign, an argument can be made that it could have affected the Jets a lot more in terms of building team chemistry.
    Last edited by Ray Ray19; 07-27-2012 at 10:53 AM.