Enjoy an Ads-Free Jets Insider - Become a Jets Insider VIP!
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Can Tebow be a John Riggins type RB?

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by sec.101row23 View Post
    You are right, how silly of me to not think he could be the next John Riggins.
    I dont think the guy is another Riggo, I would know more than most about that, John Riggins was my favorite Jet when I was a little guy in the early '70's, I just said I'd like to see him get some carries as a regular RB to see what he can do, this isn't my thread, dude

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Considering he has never taken a hand off from the QB, I am going to say its a stretch to say he can transition to a RB. You do know that there is an entirely different dynamic in running from the RB position and running from the QB position?
    If William Perry, Dan Klecko, and a host of other D lineman can learn how to take a hand off, I'm sure Tebow can too.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by ctjetfan View Post
    As a Rb, he'll just be 1 option that oposing D's have to repect. I'm not syaing he should be the focal point of the offense. Just an option! Teach him how to block and put him at FB. He can't be much worse than the terminator!

And, Relative to other RB's, Ds will have to repect his ability to throw..
    Agreed, he's got the size and speed of a FB, everyone just loves to be the naysayer, isn't this what TC is for? To see what guys can do? I would think he would be a better dump off option on passing downs than John Conner, also

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    If William Perry, Dan Klecko, and a host of other D lineman can learn how to take a hand off, I'm sure Tebow can too.
    You are still missing the point. You want to use him as goal line RB? Or do you want to use him as a true RB? You said he could be a John Riggins type RB, what ever that means. The point is, taking a hand off and running from RB position is far different from running as a QB. If you dont get that then I am sorry.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Mohegangreen View Post
    Agreed, he's got the size and speed of a FB, everyone just loves to be the naysayer, isn't this what TC is for? To see what guys can do? I would think he would be a better dump off option on passing downs than John Conner, also
    +1

With the current status of our backfield, it sure couldnt hurt to see what he could do with a full head of steam behind him...

hate on haters.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Exactly, this is why I end up not posting on JI so much after a while, we get so many of these know it all types that play their stupid fantasy football and think they're smarter than everyone else. They can't keep an open mind and think outside the box(unless it's their idea)

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    You are still missing the point. You want to use him as goal line RB? Or do you want to use him as a true RB? You said he could be a John Riggins type RB, what ever that means. The point is, taking a hand off and running from RB position is far different from running as a QB. If you dont get that then I am sorry.
    You're missing the point, he does have the size and speed of a prototypical FB, give him some carries in TC and see what he can do, you never know what a guy can do until you try it on the field, could be a Peyton Hillis standing there, let's see what he's got

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    It's easier to take a hand off when you're one of 3 or 4 options than it is to take a hand off at the goal line when the whole D and millions of others know you're getting the ball.

Obviously, I know it is different running as a RB. Do you concede that there is even a slight chance that it could work?

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    This Tebow RB thing made me think. At the risk of sounding stupid...In the wildcat isn't the QB usually lined up wide, with a RB or WR taking the snap and having the option to throw. So if Tebow is taking the snap wouldn't he be playing the position of RB (or WR)?

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Isn't Tebow more of a read and react type runner? He takes the snap and surveys the line, picks a hole and trys to exploit it.

Riggins was assigned a hole on a specific play and he hit it--if it was cleared for him he busted a long one, if it wasn't he hit the pile and tried to move it.

I don't see Tebow as a guy that is going to take a handoff and barrell through an assigned hole--if he takes a handoff and starts to juke and stutter-step behind the line he's going to have a LOT of negative yardage plays.

He's not a RB, he's a spread option QB.

Two different animals.

_

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by JStokes View Post
    Isn't Tebow more of a read and react type runner? He takes the snap and surveys the line, picks a hole and trys to exploit it.

Riggins was assigned a hole on a specific play and he hit it--if it was cleared for him he busted a long one, if it wasn't he hit the pile and tried to move it.

I don't see Tebow as a guy that is going to take a handoff and barrell through an assigned hole--if he takes a handoff and starts to juke and stutter-step behind the line he's going to have a LOT of negative yardage plays.

He's not a RB, he's a spread option QB.

Two different animals.

_
    Maybe if he is instructed to hit the hole, he would. :shrug:

I dont think juking, jiving, and surveying the line for an opening is something that is hardwired into him.

Sounds easier to just "hit the hole".

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    A john Riggins type. I never said the next John Riggins.

Did you fail reading comprehension in high school?
    I don't think that Tebow is the kind of guy who wants to get hit that much that often.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Jordy View Post
    I don't think that Tebow is the kind of guy who wants to get hit that much that often.
    You know the Jstokes of the NFL would be dying to give him a lil extra treatment, Billy Romo style.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by FF2 View Post
    Please watch the last game against the Pats and tell me who had the **** scared out of them.

And no one respects Tim Tebow's ability to throw.

Stop the insanity.
    That you Tx?

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    if tebow and his handlers were open to him switching positions, it would have happened years ago. He'd probably be a great MLB. Or a good TE. or a FB. but he's always been a Qb and he always will be a QB, that's what Team Tebow wants.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by bitonti View Post
    if tebow and his handlers were open to him switching positions, it would have happened years ago. He'd probably be a great MLB. Or a good TE. or a FB. but he's always been a Qb and he always will be a QB, that's what Team Tebow wants.
    The ST talk and Tims name has already surfaced, so i dont see his "handlers" having much say where he is used.

He would just need to be good enough.

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by LockeJET View Post
    I really think we have the next Steve Young on our hands. But bigger, stronger, faster.
    Of course we do. Except you know that whole can't hit the side of a barn thing he's got going, but otherwise Steve young all the way!

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by bitonti View Post
    a lot guys don't want to change positions and they don't, yet some do. With Tebow, no way he will change from QB. If he changes from QB, that says he wasn't good enough. And no way is that guy going to settle for that.

Jets Insider VIP
    Board Moderator

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Mohegangreen View Post
    I dont think the guy is another Riggo, I would know more than most about that, John Riggins was my favorite Jet when I was a little guy in the early '70's, I just said I'd like to see him get some carries as a regular RB to see what he can do, this isn't my thread, dude
    I agree. Tebow can play football, he's just not a regular QB, and he's not going to start over Sanchez at any point. The team needs to find a way to get the ball in his hands, trying him out at RB should definitely be part of that.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by sdJETSetter View Post
    Maybe if he is instructed to hit the hole, he would. :shrug:

I dont think juking, jiving, and surveying the line for an opening is something that is hardwired into him.

Sounds easier to just "hit the hole".
    Then get a real running back.

Don't try to convert a spread option QB into a RB just because he looks big.

His forte is not just "hitting a hole", it's finding a seam and exploiting it.

He's read and react.

_